"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:14 am

sangofe wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:55 am Maybe... Maybe Toriyama doesn't want to write for a Dragon Ball TV anime episodes anymore, just movies... And we'll never have a TV show again...

He didn't write as is, we know he just handed in paper thin outlines with a few designs and let toyo/toei fill in 95%

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:16 am

RecolorSaiyan wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:14 am
sangofe wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:55 am Maybe... Maybe Toriyama doesn't want to write for a Dragon Ball TV anime episodes anymore, just movies... And we'll never have a TV show again...

He didn't write as is, we know he just handed in paper thin outlines with a few designs and let toyo/toei fill in 95%
I know he only wrote outlines but he still might be tired of it. I think you're exaggerating on how little he did, though.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:34 am

sangofe wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:05 am
JulieYBM wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:02 am LOL, still no idea what is replacing Kitarou in April.
But was Dragon Quest known on beforehand? How thin is Toei gonna be spread if they do DB super too?
That depends on scheduling. If production on Episode #1 or at least storyboards are already on the way then Dai no Daibouken shouldn't be a problem with ten months until it airs. Dragon Ball would have likely already been in production, too.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:09 am

Yeah there is literally no way a DB TV series is happening unless Toei is planning to collapse to the ground. There's 5 projects in production currently. It is kind of like 2014 all over again. Still, interested to know what will replace Kitaro though.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:31 am

Karasawa will likely be the series director for World Trigger coming up later this year.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:43 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:09 am Yeah there is literally no way a DB TV series is happening unless Toei is planning to collapse to the ground. There's 5 projects in production currently. It is kind of like 2014 all over again. Still, interested to know what will replace Kitaro though.
Which are those in production?
JulieYBM wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:31 am Karasawa will likely be the series director for World Trigger coming up later this year.
What have they worked on before?

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:54 am

Well, for what it's worth, the DQ teaser looks spectacular. For years fans have joked about how Toei is one of the worst animation studios due to poor quality of so many of their shows but in the last couple of years they've really pulled themselves together.

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:24 am

So Dragon Ball Super TV series is officially dead.

Kepiaschkz
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kepiaschkz » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:18 am

Is there any hope that any announcement is going to take place tomorrow at the DBS panel ?

Anyway, it amazes me how they keeps on capitalizing over that SDBH crap instead of the almost finished DBS Moro arc. All this to make the equivalent of one episode every two months.
OK it has some nice designs ( damaged zamasu and vegetto are pretty cool ) and at least one interesting concept ( the rebellion against Zeno) but that's about it. History wise it's bland and filled with bad fanservice.

What are they waiting for? That Nozawa die of old age ?

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:24 am

sangofe wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:43 am Which are those in production?
One Piece, Precure, Doremi movie and the 2 new projects announced today World Trigger and Dragon Quest. Kitaro is also ongoing so that's 6 for now, but we know it will be over very soon.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:29 am

Sani007 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:24 am So Dragon Ball Super TV series is officially dead.
No, it's not officially dead. But logical thinking would be that Toei are taking on too much.
Michsi wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:54 am Well, for what it's worth, the DQ teaser looks spectacular. For years fans have joked about how Toei is one of the worst animation studios due to poor quality of so many of their shows but in the last couple of years they've really pulled themselves together.
I saw nothing spectacular about it?

Kepiaschkz wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:18 am Is there any hope that any announcement is going to take place tomorrow at the DBS panel ?

Anyway, it amazes me how they keeps on capitalizing over that SDBH crap instead of the almost finished DBS Moro arc. All this to make the equivalent of one episode every two months.
OK it has some nice designs ( damaged zamasu and vegetto are pretty cool ) and at least one interesting concept ( the rebellion against Zeno) but that's about it. History wise it's bland and filled with bad fanservice.

What are they waiting for? That Nozawa die of old age ?
As long as the panel hasn't happened, there's hope, of course. What are they waiting for? Maybe Toriyama just doesn't want to write outlines for a TV show anymore and it's over until they one day decide to make a TV show from Toyotaro's manga, assuming he continues alone one day.

Saikyo no Senshi wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:24 am
sangofe wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:43 am Which are those in production?
One Piece, Precure, Doremi movie and the 2 new projects announced today World Trigger and Dragon Quest. Kitaro is also ongoing so that's 6 for now, but we know it will be over very soon.
And before the two new announced projects they only did these since the ending of Dragon Ball Super?

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:50 am

I honestly don't believe Toriyama alone can make this discussion. Whatever TOEI / Bandai are doing, it's pure marketing tactics. The franchise does whatever is the most beneficial for them.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:52 am

I wouldn't be too concerned about Toei taking too much on. Am I right in saying Dragon Ball has its very own production team now?. TV and movies?.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:01 am

Mister_Popo wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:50 am

I honestly don't believe Toriyama alone can make this discussion. Whatever TOEI / Bandai are doing, it's pure marketing tactics. The franchise does whatever is the most beneficial for them.
I'm pretty sure they said before they would stop making the TV show if Toriyama said he wasn't willing to continue. Too lazy to find the source of that, though.
DBZ_Lee wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:52 am I wouldn't be too concerned about Toei taking too much on. Am I right in saying Dragon Ball has its very own production team now?. TV and movies?.
Can't say I remember that. Are you thinking of the DB room?

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:12 am

sangofe wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:01 am

I'm pretty sure they said before they would stop making the TV show if Toriyama said he wasn't willing to continue. Too lazy to find the source of that, though.

I don't think Toriyama still has that much of a say compared to the old franchise.
In the old franchise he was basically the maker of everything. The rest only had to adapt.
Now he is only one of the pieces forming the chain. If he falls out, he will be replaced eventually.
Or they'll at least attempt to replace him.

Rightsholders are still Shueisha. As long they approve for more animated content / toys to be made, TOEI and Bandai can basically go on.
What Toriyama 'can' do, if he really disagrees with a product, that he demands his name to be taken from a new movie or series.
That's possible. But will he really do that if Shueisha (his employer) approves because the commercial strategy demands for it? I highly doubt it. I mean, DBS part 1 still more or less has his name under it, doesn't it?

I'm pretty sure all members of the franchise including Shueisha have discussed this matter together and chosen a strategy. Toriyamas word alone won't change that.
Last edited by Mister_Popo on Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:22 am

sangofe wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:01 am Can't say I remember that. Are you thinking of the DB room?
Found it, they did restructure.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/comicbook. ... on-future/

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:59 am

Mister_Popo wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:12 am
sangofe wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:01 am

I don't think Toriyama still has that much of a say compared to the old franchise.
In the old franchise he was basically the maker of everything. The rest only had to adapt.
Now he is only one of the pieces forming the chain. If he falls out, he will be replaced eventually.
Or they'll at least attempt to replace him.

Rightsholders are still Shueisha. As long they approve for more animated content / toys to be made, TOEI and Bandai can basically go on.
What Toriyama 'can' do, if he really disagrees with a product, that he demands his name to be taken from a new movie or series.
That's possible. But will he really do that if Shueisha (his employer) approves because the commercial strategy demands for it? I highly doubt it. I mean, DBS part 1 still more or less has his name under it, doesn't it?

I'm pretty sure all members of the franchise including Shueisha have discussed this matter together and chosen a strategy. Toriyamas word alone won't change that.

Wish I remember where I read that because I'm 100% I read the case was the same for Super.
DBZ_Lee wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:22 am
sangofe wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:01 am Can't say I remember that. Are you thinking of the DB room?
Found it, they did restructure.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/comicbook. ... on-future/
"This new division is not the only one being planned. The Television Planning group is being renamed the Planning Division Department. The group will continue work on developing television anime. Takashi Washio will remain the department’s head but will step away from his gig at the company’s Film Office."

This part is interesting if true. Surely they couldn't have made this devision to only do Heroes?

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:35 am

sangofe wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:59 am"This new division is not the only one being planned. The Television Planning group is being renamed the Planning Division Department. The group will continue work on developing television anime. Takashi Washio will remain the department’s head but will step away from his gig at the company’s Film Office."

This part is interesting if true. Surely they couldn't have made this devision to only do Heroes?
Heroes is produced by Bandai Namco.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:16 am

Kepiaschkz wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:18 amAnyway, it amazes me how they keeps on capitalizing over that SDBH crap instead of the almost finished DBS Moro arc. All this to make the equivalent of one episode every two months.
And what's the point in being hyped and longing for Dragon Ball Super to come back? For more boring tournaments, crap retellings, unnecessary characters returning, wasting opportunities and etc? It amazes me that people long that much for it.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Kepiaschkz
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kepiaschkz » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:38 am

Grimlock wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:16 am
Kepiaschkz wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:18 amAnyway, it amazes me how they keeps on capitalizing over that SDBH crap instead of the almost finished DBS Moro arc. All this to make the equivalent of one episode every two months.
And what's the point in being hyped and longing for Dragon Ball Super to come back? For more boring tournaments, crap retellings, unnecessary characters returning, wasting opportunities and etc? It amazes me that people long for it.

Super has given me everything I wanted for a db sequel so far :
- more lore and world building, Gods role and hierarchy expanded, including a top chain food god,
- Kibitoshin defusing
- a Broly reboot in the official continuity
- a galactic patrol arc
- a new Future Trunks arc involving the Kaioshins
- Freeza being a recurring character opening the door for expanding his clan lore
- a bunch of new charismatics characters : Whis, Beerus, Black, Zamasu and Grand Priest surpassed by far my expectations on that matter
- new saiyan transformations over SSJ3 with simple and quite human design ( unlike the ridiculous SSJ4).

In a nutshell, Super gave me everything GT didn't.
And the fact that Heroes takes GT into account doesn't help me appreciating that show