"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by SSJgogeto » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:34 pm

Minus and Super aren't that bad, however.

So, if there's nothing in the last Super stage we can forget about a new anime in April?

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:00 pm

SSJgogeto wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:34 pm Minus and Super aren't that bad, however.

So, if there's nothing in the last Super stage we can forget about a new anime in April?

I'd say, if they have a new DBS-series planned in April, i don't see a reason why they wouldn't announce it now at Jump Festa and wait untill January, February or March. Jump Festa is the main stage for the big animes to be announced. It has the most promotional value. Theoretically, if it isn't announced later on in this day, there is still a minor chance, yes, as long as Kitaros replacement hasn't been confirmed.
But i wouldn't count on it.

DBS first run was announced back in 2015 on a random day. But that's when they suddenly decided to bring back the anime to capitalize on the success of ROF. Now, they know DB is very successful, there has been lots of time since the last series ended and they should be able to plan and therefore announce more in advance.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:15 pm

They didn't announce Kitaro's 50th Anime anniversary show at Jump Festa 2018, and instead waited for a random day in the middle of January.
Toei's marketing dept are completely erratic and illogical.

I think the Dragon Quest anime is likely going on Fuji TV's Noitamina block along with S2 of the Promised Neverland. If Kitaro is indeed ending in March, then unless something is coming in for just two cours until DQ starts, then I don't see it going in at 9am.

Nanatsu88

Post by Nanatsu88 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:03 pm

The news of the confirmed anime of Dragon Quest and World Trigger by TOEI has left the majority with the feeling that we can forget the return of Super.
Above all they comment because the fact of making 2 more animes with part of the Staff makes it impossible to also do Super.
But I would like to provide some information that we should take into account before completely bury the return of Super.

In 2016 I was on the One Piece and Dragon ball Super broadcast, which was going through the Black saga. On October 1, 2016 premiere on TV Tokyo Digimon Appli Monsters, anime produced by TOEI Animation.
One day later, on October 2, 2016, Asahi's Tiger Mask W, anime produced by TOEI Animation, premiered on TV. Animators such as Yuya Takahashi participated in this series.

These 2 series lasted on broadcast until July and September of 2017. That is, Toei had 4 simultaneous anime series on air for many months. Why could Toei not do the same now?

Dragon Quest will be released in October, it takes almost 1 year for that series to be released. This series cannot replace Kitaro because Kitaro does not have chapters to broadcast until October so Dragon Quest will be broadcast on another channel or other schedule. Moreover, Toei does not usually announce his series with so much prior time.

World Trigger does have a better chance of being the substitute for Kitaro since the first series was broadcast on that schedule and channel.
However, the popularity of this series is currently VERY lower than when Toei bought the rights and issued his first series. The manga has dropped so much in popularity that it is marketed in a lower magazine that is not the Weekly Shonen Jump.

It seems very very strange that Toei decides to bet on this franchise on FujiTv with One Piece. It would make more sense to broadcast it as Digimon or Tiger Mask at other times and less major channels.

Of the 2 series that should take the place of Kitaro should be Dragon Quest due to its quality and popularity. However, as I have already said, it is impossible if it opens in March.

I believe that there are still possibilities for a Super premiere in 2020. It would also make no sense to announce anything serial or movie after the meeting that Ryo Horikawa had with Toei with the Dragon Ball untilg. That message, along with the messages he commented later related to the matter are too obvious that something new related to the franchise has spoken with Toei.

Anyway, hopefully later in the panel day 2 of the Festa know something. All this is very strange.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:11 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:15 pm They didn't announce Kitaro's 50th Anime anniversary show at Jump Festa 2018, and instead waited for a random day in the middle of January.
Toei's marketing dept are completely erratic and illogical.

I think the Dragon Quest anime is likely going on Fuji TV's Noitamina block along with S2 of the Promised Neverland. If Kitaro is indeed ending in March, then unless something is coming in for just two cours until DQ starts, then I don't see it going in at 9am.
Kitarou isn't JUMP, so it makes sense that it wouldn't be announced then.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:50 pm

I'd be happier with movies tbh

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:12 pm

Are there still any DB booths going on at the moment?

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:24 pm

superfan2024 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:12 pm Are there still any DB booths going on at the moment?
The super one starts in 6 minutes.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:57 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:24 pm
superfan2024 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:12 pm Are there still any DB booths going on at the moment?
Stupid question, but is there a live stream to it?

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:00 pm

So far things aren't looking good for Super's anime return

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:00 pm

superfan2024 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:57 pm
IntangibleFancy wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:24 pm
Stupid question, but is there a live stream to it?
Well it's over now.

Absolutely nothing about 2.0 or even the movie. I'm not even angry. I just want to know why.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:09 pm

So apparently they did a live dub of the manga champa arc instead of the Moro arc. Even that seems a bit anti climatic.

Sykin

Post by Sykin » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:12 pm

December 2020 - DBS Movie 21 is announced
Holiday 2021 - DBS Movie 21 premieres in theaters
December 2022 - DBS TV Series sequel is announced
April 2023 - DBS TV Series premieres on Television

This is a glimpse into your DB future.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:32 pm

So why did Ryo make it seem like there was going to be some sort of announcement. I find it very hard to believe he wouldn't be able to talk about dubbing scenes that have already happened and from the looks of it no important questions were answered at all during these past two days.

And why didn't they talk about the movie? I know they're not even close to finishing, but a little bit of detail would have been nice.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:59 pm

Thanks Toei for hyping up absolutely nothing!
Caulifla best girl! :)

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:02 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:59 pm Thanks Toei for hyping up absolutely nothing!
And that’s exactly what they always do. They are master trolls.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:06 am

IntangibleFancy wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:32 pm So why did Ryo make it seem like there was going to be some sort of announcement. I find it very hard to believe he wouldn't be able to talk about dubbing scenes that have already happened and from the looks of it no important questions were answered at all during these past two days.

And why didn't they talk about the movie? I know they're not even close to finishing, but a little bit of detail would have been nice.
He didn't. Horikawa was only ever expressing excitement for being at JUMP Festa.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:20 am

Yeah, I think the fans overreacted again.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:34 am

Grimlock wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:25 pm
Michsi wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:57 pmThat it wasn't explored in a satisfying manner is another thing, and this might be a good chance to change that.
It is another thing but precisely my point. It wasn't properly explored in a 131-episode series...
Michsi wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:57 pmOne of the more appealing aspects of a new show is the presumption that this time it would be planned out a bit better.
I would like to be that optimist but after Dragon Ball Minus, Movie 15 and Dragon Ball Super... That presumption is a luxury I don't/can't have. I need to see it to believe it. Expectation is also something I already learned to deal, it is best to keep it as low as possible to avoid bigger disappointments.
I feel like DB Minus is mostly (not exclusively) disliked because it rewrites a beloved character. Story wise it's, well, not the best, but neither is it the worst. As for the rest. DBS was plagued with production problems and that can effect the writing as well as the animation. Toei's been doinf pretty well lately with it's recent project because it supposedly moved to a new building, improved schedules etc etc- so I'd like to think that if we would get another series it'd be better done.

As for Jump Festa, oh well. We at least got one more small confirmation that a movie is being made. That's something.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:19 am

Michsi wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:34 am
Grimlock wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:25 pm
Michsi wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:57 pmThat it wasn't explored in a satisfying manner is another thing, and this might be a good chance to change that.
It is another thing but precisely my point. It wasn't properly explored in a 131-episode series...
Michsi wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:57 pmOne of the more appealing aspects of a new show is the presumption that this time it would be planned out a bit better.
I would like to be that optimist but after Dragon Ball Minus, Movie 15 and Dragon Ball Super... That presumption is a luxury I don't/can't have. I need to see it to believe it. Expectation is also something I already learned to deal, it is best to keep it as low as possible to avoid bigger disappointments.
I feel like DB Minus is mostly (not exclusively) disliked because it rewrites a beloved character. Story wise it's, well, not the best, but neither is it the worst. As for the rest. DBS was plagued with production problems and that can effect the writing as well as the animation. Toei's been doinf pretty well lately with it's recent project because it supposedly moved to a new building, improved schedules etc etc- so I'd like to think that if we would get another series it'd be better done.

As for Jump Festa, oh well. We at least got one more small confirmation that a movie is being made. That's something.
Wait, is today's jump Festa over?