"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Mister_Popo » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:30 pm

Michsi wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:10 pm
Mister_Popo wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:01 pm
Michsi wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:51 pm

I actually don't think there's a lot to rewrite. The whole first act could be the attack on Namek which could be like half an hour- the middle arc is the training/attack on earth- and the final act whatever happens next in the manga. Same basic idea, same beats.

Does anybody know how the Moro arc is generally seen in by the fandom in Japan?

No thx. If i have two wait for two years in total to get some more animated content in the canon storyline after Broly ... don't give me Moro, give me something brand new please.

Btw you can't actually fit the manga content right away in a movie, you will substantially have to rewrite stuff. It would be otherwise impossible to make it fit. I agree it would be easier to fit the Moro arc in a movie than let's say the Zamasu arc, but rewriting will be needed anyway.
Well, yes, some degree of rewriting would take place, but nothing major. The arc seems to be neatly split in acts like a movie would be, so it was just a thought. The reason why I asked about the arc's reception in Japan is because that might determine if this story is getting adapter or not. The writers could very well use the manga as a test run and if reception is underwhelming they could go back to Toriyama and ask for another story- just brain storming here.

There is more than enough time to speculate. That's for sure.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:53 pm

I haven't been following lately, what exactly is keeping Super from finally releasing? It can't just be the movie can't it?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Nanatsu88

Post by Nanatsu88 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:31 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:53 pm I haven't been following lately, what exactly is keeping Super from finally releasing? It can't just be the movie can't it?
Good! Today there is nothing that prevents Super releasing.
New Dragon Quest series has been announced with people from the Super and One Piece staff and that makes the majority believe that Super can't leave in 2020.

The reality is that Dragon Quest is NOT going to be able to replace the current Kitaro series in April because its fall premiere has been confirmed.

If Super returns he will do it on the channel and schedule where it was previously broadcast and that is on Sundays at 9 on Fuji Tv. Kitaro ends in March and Super will be able to return until a series is confirmed to continue after Kitaro in April.

Until that series is confirmed, Super has all the chances of coming back before the Jump Festa and the announcement of Dragon Quest.

At the end of January, the specific date of the end of Kitaro should be made official and the new series to begin airing in April should be announced. Until then we cannot confirm if Super will return or not. :D

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:37 pm

Nanatsu88 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:31 pm
IntangibleFancy wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:53 pm I haven't been following lately, what exactly is keeping Super from finally releasing? It can't just be the movie can't it?
New Dragon Quest series has been announced with people from the Super and One Piece staff and that makes the majority believe that Super can't leave in 2020.

The reality is that Dragon Quest is NOT going to be able to replace the current Kitaro series in April because its fall premiere has been confirmed.

If Super returns he will do it on the channel and schedule where it was previously broadcast and that is on Sundays at 9 on Fuji Tv. Kitaro ends in March and Super will be able to return until a series is confirmed to continue after Kitaro in April.

Until that series is confirmed, Super has all the chances of coming back before the Jump Festa and the announcement of Dragon Quest.

At the end of January, the specific date of the end of Kitaro should be made official and the new series to begin airing in April should be announced. Until then we cannot confirm if Super will return or not. :D
So if Super does return will an entirely new team be handling it?

Nanatsu88

Post by Nanatsu88 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:34 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:37 pm

The part where it should be different is the director. The 2 directors of the saga of the tournament of power are busy. Ryota Nakamura will be the director of Dragon Quest and Tatsuya Nagamine is the director of One Piece in the current Wano saga.

Remember that Super had 4 directors in total: Kimitoshi Chioka, Morio Hatano, Ryota Nakamura and Tatsuya Nagamine. That is, they can put another director perfectly.

As for animation they should not be new. The key animators are going from series to series and we have seen people like Tate, Shida or Shimanuki working on One Piece and Dragon Ball. The only thing that should square the times well to be able to work in all the series.

For example, Naoki Tate has been director / supervisor of many chapters in Super and instead in series like One Piece, it has not been the weight of a complete chapter for a long time. Shimanuki more of the same.

Toei has many animators who are collaborating in series and considering that Dragon Quest has almost 1 year of preproduction before its premiere, key animators can participate in Super as well.

That is, most of the animation team may be similar but the director of the series does have to be someone new.

It is also possible that Shintani is the new chief animation director so that the style is that of the movie.

There is also the possibility of having Nakatsuru's participation as an animation supervisor in some episodes. The Digimon movie is almost in postproduction and Toei could put him as a supervisor.

It all depends on Toei and how he manages his resources.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:34 pm

Nanatsu88 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:34 pm

The part where it should be different is the director. The 2 directors of the saga of the tournament of power are busy. Ryota Nakamura will be the director of Dragon Quest and Tatsuya Nagamine is the director of One Piece in the current Wano saga.

Remember that Super had 4 directors in total: Kimitoshi Chioka, Morio Hatano, Ryota Nakamura and Tatsuya Nagamine. That is, they can put another director perfectly.

As for animation they should not be new. The key animators are going from series to series and we have seen people like Tate, Shida or Shimanuki working on One Piece and Dragon Ball. The only thing that should square the times well to be able to work in all the series.

For example, Naoki Tate has been director / supervisor of many chapters in Super and instead in series like One Piece, it has not been the weight of a complete chapter for a long time. Shimanuki more of the same.

Toei has many animators who are collaborating in series and considering that Dragon Quest has almost 1 year of preproduction before its premiere, key animators can participate in Super as well.

That is, most of the animation team may be similar but the director of the series does have to be someone new.

It is also possible that Shintani is the new chief animation director so that the style is that of the movie.

There is also the possibility of having Nakatsuru's participation as an animation supervisor in some episodes. The Digimon movie is almost in postproduction and Toei could put him as a supervisor.

I see. But what about the movie? And the fact that three people that worked on Super have said they weren't notified about any plans to continue.

Nanatsu88

Post by Nanatsu88 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:53 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:34 pm

I see. But what about the movie? And the fact that three people that worked on Super have said they weren't notified about any plans to continue.
The movie only knows that it is at the beginning of preproduction. The head of Dragon Ball Room commented that they had started working on ideas for the future Dragon Ball movie. Given that and that the movies announce them much more in advance than the series, I don't think there is another movie until at least 2021.

As for the information of the 3 workers who have commented that they do not know anything about the production of the series, this information is only commented on by a Twitter account that has not shown evidence about this either.

We will know 100% if Super flies or not at the end of January when Toei confirms if Kitaro finishes and what is the series that will be broadcast to continue.

Sykin

Post by Sykin » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:00 am

IntangibleFancy wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:34 pm

Along with what Nanatsu88 said, the only information we've heard from people working on the production of Super 2 from what some consider to be credible sources, (Whether or not you believe them isn't the point, this is just what they're claiming) is that basically everyone involved did a 180 and said they were lying about working on a sequel to a Super anime series or flat out started saying one didn't exist.

From what I understand, a lot of people involved, around a similar time-frame, flipped on what they previously said. Multiple different people at the same time? That's incredibly odd. Why would everyone independently lie and then turn around and also independently come out and say they were not being truthful from the beginning at similar times? Whether or not a series exists, if you believe these people, and I personally do, it sounds like Toei cracked down on them super hard. Whether this is because of a delay, cancellation, or whatever is unknown. It's just very odd in general.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:10 am

Sykin wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:00 am Along with what Nanatsu88 said, the only information we've heard from people working on the production of Super 2 from what some consider to be credible sources, (Whether or not you believe them isn't the point, this is just what they're claiming) is that basically everyone involved did a 180 and said they were lying about working on a sequel to a Super anime series or flat out started saying one didn't exist.

From what I understand, a lot of people involved, around a similar time-frame, flipped on what they previously said. Multiple different people at the same time? That's incredibly odd. Why would everyone independently lie and then turn around and also independently come out and say they were not being truthful from the beginning at similar times? Whether or not a series exists, if you believe these people, and I personally do, it sounds like Toei cracked down on them super hard. Whether this is because of a delay, cancellation, or whatever is unknown. It's just very odd in general.
This was one of the things I feared would happen when that video was released. I mean, I hope I'm wrong and this was genuienly a misunderstanding on those employee's part , but I just think it was just a little inconsiderate to make a video based on information that was given to you in private.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:57 am

Michsi wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:10 am
Sykin wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:00 am Along with what Nanatsu88 said, the only information we've heard from people working on the production of Super 2 from what some consider to be credible sources, (Whether or not you believe them isn't the point, this is just what they're claiming) is that basically everyone involved did a 180 and said they were lying about working on a sequel to a Super anime series or flat out started saying one didn't exist.

This was one of the things I feared would happen when that video was released. I mean, I hope I'm wrong and this was genuienly a misunderstanding on those employee's part , but I just think it was just a little inconsiderate to make a video based on information that was given to you in private.
"That video"?

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:06 am

sangofe wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:57 am
Michsi wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:10 am

"That video"?

The one that made that huge splash. I think it was Geekdom's? It got Toei to react and give an official announcement. It's not hard to imagine that afterwards they might've taken some disciplinary actions within the organization.

MeMeDZEHH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MeMeDZEHH » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:48 am

That's wrong and we still don't know where he's been since the end of super. Kazuya karasawa is the director of Dragon Quest

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:10 am

Nanatsu88 wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:53 pm

We will know 100% if Super flies or not at the end of January when Toei confirms if Kitaro finishes and what is the series that will be broadcast to continue.

There will simply be found another reason why Super will return after the successor of Kitaro is known and it doesn't appear to be Dragon Ball. The Olympics for instance, for which Goku is a mascot. In that case "a return in July would be ideal". Some people clearly have difficulties excepting Super isn't going to return anytime soon, and therefore keep inventing reasons why it will.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:26 am

Mister_Popo wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:10 am

There will simply be found another reason why Super will return after the successor of Kitaro is known and it doesn't appear to be Dragon Ball. The Olympics for instance, for which Goku is a mascot. In that case "a return in July would be ideal". Some people clearly have difficulties excepting Super isn't going to return anytime soon, and therefore keep inventing reasons why it will.
To be honest, if it doesn't come back when Kitaro finishes (which looks like the end of March) it won't be back for the Olympics, I don't see any show going in on that time slot for any less than four cours.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:33 am

DBZ_Lee wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:26 am

To be honest, if it doesn't come back when Kitaro finishes (which looks like the end of March) it won't be back for the Olympics, I don't see any show going in on that time slot for any less than four cours.

The thought will simply shift to "it can still return in another timeslot".
Remember when Super was "announced" to return in July this year. Well, Kitaro was still airing then, it wasn't announced to end and the morning block at Fuji was still occupied. Nontheless people were "certain" DBS would return. Whether the morning block is still occupied, apparently doesn't stop people from thinking DBS will return.

On what evidence you base yourself an anime is in the works at the moment?
The fact Kitaro ends and it will get a replacement at such doesn't need to have anything to do with a new DBS anime.
It simply means Kitaro ends and something has to replace it, nothing more.
It's entirely wishful thinking. It's the same situation as with the 20 year-hiatus in the 90s and 2000s. (Now we may have the slight benefit of the doubt the manga is still running and DB is more popular than ever, but it's the same uncertain situation at its core. Because, behind the scenes, they might have chosen to go on with movies only.)
It could always return and yes it did eventually but it appeared to be quite a long wait at the end.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:49 am

Mister_Popo wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:33 am

Remember when Super was "announced" to return in July this year. Well, Kitaro was still airing then, it wasn't announced to end and the morning block at Fuji was still occupied. Nontheless people were "certain" DBS would return. Whether the morning block is still occupied, apparently doesn't stop people from thinking DBS will return.

The fact Kitaro ends and it will get a replacement at such doesn't need to have anything to do with a new DBS anime.
It's entirely wishful thinking. It's the same situation as with the 20 year-hiatus in the 90s and 2000s (now we maybe have the slight benefit the manga is still running and DB is more popular than ever, but it's the same uncertain situation at its core).
It could always return and yes it did eventually but it appeared to be quite a long wait at the end.
To be honest, I have no idea what to think. I do believe that episodes were in production earlier this year, but production was halted.
Either way, I just can't see it returning in April, or any time soon now. What I do know is, that Eric Legrand (French voice for Vegeta) stated a new series would come at the end of this year, and he's someone I trust as a reliable source.

I do still think it will return, but as to exactly when?. I've no idea.
April is a possibility still, until Kitaro's replacement is confirmed, but in my opinion, it's unlikely.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:24 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:49 am
Mister_Popo wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:33 am

It's entirely wishful thinking. It's the same situation as with the 20 year-hiatus in the 90s and 2000s (now we maybe have the slight benefit the manga is still running and DB is more popular than ever, but it's the same uncertain situation at its core).
To be honest, I have no idea what to think. I do believe that episodes were in production earlier this year, but production was halted.
Either way, I just can't see it returning in April, or any time soon now. What I do know is, that Eric Legrand (French voice for Vegeta) stated a new series would come at the end of this year, and he's someone I trust as a reliable source.

I do still think it will return, but as to exactly when?. I've no idea.
April is a possibility still, until Kitaro's replacement is confirmed, but in my opinion, it's unlikely.

Theoretically DBS can still return in the form of a seasonal anime, and have a 24-episode run between April and October in that morning block of Fuji.
But after the disappointments of this year, the wisest thing we can do is to keep our expectations as low as possible.
And definitely not get hyped if someone related to TOEI says 'something that might indicate something'

I honestly don't believe at this point DBS will return as an anime the coming years. If it does, i'll be the first one to gladly admit i was wrong.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:24 pm

To be honest, I'd love to see Super as a seasonal anime, but I doubt it'll happen for various reasons (another conversation for another day).
I wouldn't be so sure Dragon Quest slots straight in at 9am on Fuji TV Sunday mornings in October - to my knowledge, they've never announced a show for that slot nearly a year early - that's not to say it won't happen, but this would be the first time it has.

I've a feeling DQ goes to Asahi - Square Enix collabs don't usually air on Fuji TV, that said, it could join the Noitamina block, or even the 08.30 slot on Sunday as a lead in to whatever airs in Kitaro's place.
Either way, I don't see Super returning, unless it's replacing Kitaro.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:15 pm

MeMeDZEHH wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:48 am
The part where it should be different is the director. The 2 directors of the saga of the tournament of power are busy. Ryota Nakamura will be the director of Dragon Quest
That's wrong and we still don't know where he's been since the end of super. Kazuya karasawa is the director of Dragon Quest
Correct on the Dragon Quest front - Karasawa is directing. Though we know where Nakamura was - he was an assistant director on One Piece Stampede. Dunno where he's gone now, though.

There are some other regular Super staff on DQ in a major role, too. Shintani isn't the character designer, I can say that much, though. Doesn't mean he isn't working on it, but yeah, he's not in a major role that I'm aware of.

But yeah, there's no Super series coming this year unless it's outsourced and they kill Heroes. There literally aren't any staff left. Bye bye dreams.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:04 pm

My boy Chioka Kimitoshi has been MIA lately, he could always be the series director for the next series. :p

Toei Animation has a billion directors that aren't doing anything, it's not like it's impossible for production to have been going on for a April 2020 broadcast, there simply wouldn't be a lot of in-house staff on the series.

I'm going to laugh so hard that I'd cry if they just throw a shitty Buu Kai version of the 1986 series in the 9AM slot for six months.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf