"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Michsi
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Michsi » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:11 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:04 pm
I'm going to laugh so hard that I'd cry if they just throw a shitty Buu Kai version of the 1986 series in the 9AM slot for six months.
Heh, Toei acknowledging the original DB series would actually impress me at this point.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:32 pm

Could it be possible that Toei recruited some of the freelancers that worked on Super originally to work in the new department, and gave them contracts?. They did restructure after the first series finished airing.
I will say, the signs at this point don't look good.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:30 pm

Ajay wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:15 pm
MeMeDZEHH wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:48 am
Nanatsu88 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:34 pm
The part where it should be different is the director. The 2 directors of the saga of the tournament of power are busy. Ryota Nakamura will be the director of Dragon Quest
That's wrong and we still don't know where he's been since the end of super. Kazuya karasawa is the director of Dragon Quest
there's no Super series coming this year unless it's outsourced and they kill Heroes. There literally aren't any staff left. Bye bye dreams.
I have no business experience, but reducing Dragon Ball to nothing but monthly content from the manga and SDBH can't be a good marketing strategy can't it?. Especially when a gazillion shows are being revived/renewed and set to air later next year (even Bakugan got revived)

Am I just underestimating DBH and the manga's popularity or does Toei really believe they're both enough to hold us over until the movie?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:43 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:30 pm
That's wrong and we still don't know where he's been since the end of super. Kazuya karasawa is the director of Dragon Quest
there's no Super series coming this year unless it's outsourced and they kill Heroes. There literally aren't any staff left. Bye bye dreams.
I have no business experience, but reducing Dragon Ball to nothing but monthly content from the manga and SDBH can't be a good marketing strategy can't it?. Especially when a gazillion shows are being revived/renewed and set to air later next year (even Bakugan got revived)

Am I just underestimating DBH and the manga's popularity or does Toei really believe they're both enough to hold us over until the movie?
The whole thing is odd, but with merchandise selling well, I guess they aren't in a hurry to produce more episodes/movies.
The demand is overwhelming however, though it's unknown as to when DBH may finish. This could be on purpose to throw us off - if it finished in January, there would be a team readily in place to produce Super episodes, and have proven themselves more than capable.
Don't forget that departmental restructure though.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:32 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:04 pmI'm going to laugh so hard that I'd cry if they just throw a shitty Buu Kai version of the 1986 series in the 9AM slot for six months.
Meh, a part of me wants this to happen so FUNimation has an excuse to re dub that part of the show. Mind you, I'd prefer more Super, but still.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

MeMeDZEHH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MeMeDZEHH » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:12 pm

Nanatsu88 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:34 pm
The part where it should be different is the director. The 2 directors of the saga of the tournament of power are busy. Ryota Nakamura will be the director of Dragon Quest
Correct on the Dragon Quest front - Karasawa is directing. Though we know where Nakamura was - he was an assistant director on One Piece Stampede. Dunno where he's gone now, though.

There are some other regular Super staff on DQ in a major role, too. Shintani isn't the character designer, I can say that much, though. Doesn't mean he isn't working on it, but yeah, he's not in a major role that I'm aware of.

But yeah, there's no Super series coming this year unless it's outsourced and they kill Heroes. There literally aren't any staff left. Bye bye dreams.
Oh yes, i'm pretty sure DBS isn't returning soon, i'm just intrigued by that 9 AM slot. We know it's not DQ since it's coming in October and World Trigger is on a different channel. You have any info on that ?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:25 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:30 pm I have no business experience, but reducing Dragon Ball to nothing but monthly content from the manga and SDBH can't be a good marketing strategy can't it?. Especially when a gazillion shows are being revived/renewed and set to air later next year (even Bakugan got revived)

I mean, DB is around in other forms. Video games are also being made outside of Heroes. Hell, Xenoverse 2 just wrapped up its 3 years' wroth of DLCs & updates with 3 possibly beginning development soon, & Kakaort's coming out next month. Bandai tries to get at least 1 DB game out a year. Plus, there's the merch. And, we can expect another movie at some point in the next few years most likely. I wouldn't be surprised if we got a new DB series, whether it's Super part 2 or not, in the near future, but I'm pretty sure the marketing of the franchise is there.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:41 pm

I think Toei have realised they may have wrung the nostalgia well dry, in terms of modern Dragon Ball content, once Super became a thing and then ended. I also think Toei may have realised that the immense success of Super was such a gigantic fluke, that they feel they wouldn't be able to replicate that lighting in a bottle success organically.

Or....

They are just sitting on their butts waiting for Toriyama to come with some new material for them.

I really think the current arc in the Super manga isn't going to be adapted. I think the Dragon Ball room will want the manga to have its own unique material to have as a selling point, as supposed to originally being a advert for the anime and adapting material from it.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:49 pm

MeMeDZEHH wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:12 pm Oh yes, i'm pretty sure DBS isn't returning soon, i'm just intrigued by that 9 AM slot. We know it's not DQ since it's coming in October and World Trigger is on a different channel. You have any info on that ?
Absolutely nothing, I'm afraid.

The thing is, Kitaro's one of those shows that can be extended at a moment's notice. Per one of the writers, they write a bunch of standalone episodes in advance, and just churn em out if need be. A certain Kitaro staff member mentioned that the series was due to end last year and got extended for another year, so if Toei want to push that bad boy on until October, then there's no reason they couldn't.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:02 pm

What's got me so upset about all of this is that the voice actors aren't getting any younger.

If Toei keeps waiting and waiting and waiting to make more Dragon Ball Super/Whatever the next series would be called, then it could reach a point where important cast members are no longer able to work on the series.

I really don't want to see that happen.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:22 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:41 pm I think Toei have realised they may have wrung the nostalgia well dry, in terms of modern Dragon Ball content, once Super became a thing and then ended. I also think Toei may have realised that the immense success of Super was such a gigantic fluke, that they feel they wouldn't be able to replicate that lighting in a bottle success organically.

Or....

They are just sitting on their butts waiting for Toriyama to come with some new material for them.

I really think the current arc in the Super manga isn't going to be adapted. I think the Dragon Ball room will want the manga to have its own unique material to have as a selling point, as supposed to originally being a advert for the anime and adapting material from it.
The more likely actual explanation being that Toei saw that they should give the anime another small rest & recoup their staff to work on other stuff. With people constantly complaining about the inconsistent animation & writing quality, I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to give the series a rest for now.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:54 pm

Metalwario64 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:02 pm What's got me so upset about all of this is that the voice actors aren't getting any younger.

If Toei keeps waiting and waiting and waiting to make more Dragon Ball Super/Whatever the next series would be called, then it could reach a point where important cast members are no longer able to work on the series.

I really don't want to see that happen.
That tragic scenario has already happened.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:32 pm

Ajay wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:49 pm
MeMeDZEHH wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:12 pm Oh yes, i'm pretty sure DBS isn't returning soon, i'm just intrigued by that 9 AM slot. We know it's not DQ since it's coming in October and World Trigger is on a different channel. You have any info on that ?

The thing is, Kitaro's one of those shows that can be extended at a moment's notice. Per one of the writers, they write a bunch of standalone episodes in advance, and just churn em out if need be. A certain Kitaro staff member mentioned that the series was due to end last year and got extended for another year, so if Toei want to push that bad boy on until October, then there's no reason they couldn't.
Ah, so they DO just sit on finished scripts. It's definitely worth the investment, even if they never go past the script stage.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Sykin

Post by Sykin » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:45 am

Since you know way more about the production of these things than I do, do you think it's likely/possible that they just want Super to go on as a manga for the time being so they'll have something to adapt at a later date? They might want to have actual source material to go off of instead of the general napkin outlines they had from Toriyama. Perhaps that might make production in the future a tad bit easier since some version of the story already exists, even if it's not followed 1:1. Might just be better and/or easier to let interest and sales in the manga to be driven up while the DBH anime does its thing. Not sure.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:57 am

Not to speak for Ajay, but I sincerely doubt "they're waiting to adapt the comic" has anything to do with it. Like, their series directors and freelance writers do know how to create their own stories, after all. All the series director and head writer (likely Tomioka Atsuhiro) have to do is get Toriyama in a room or conference call for a couple of days to hash out a story outline (namely, Toriyama making sure he likes their ideas at all) and go from there.

The issues would more likely be a simply lack of planning for the greater franchise than anything else.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:32 am

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:32 pm

Ah, so they DO just sit on finished scripts. It's definitely worth the investment, even if they never go past the script stage.
Didn't they officially announce a little while ago that Kitaro is entering the final stretch? I believe that they could extend it if they wanted to, but I'd assume they'd already have thought about that 6 month period before they made that announcement.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:19 am

Michsi wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:32 amDidn't they officially announce a little while ago that Kitaro is entering the final stretch? I believe that they could extend it if they wanted to, but I'd assume they'd already have thought about that 6 month period before they made that announcement.
They did announce this run of Kitaro was entering its final Arc, but it's unknown as to how many cours it will last.
However, current home video listings suggest it will end in March for now, unless more sets are announced.

Nanatsu88

Post by Nanatsu88 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:53 am

Sorry for the director's mistake. So right now Nakamura is free at least for what is known.

Toei has been broadcasting One Piece, Super, Digimon and Tiger Mask at the same time. And when I was broadcasting those 4 series at the same time, it was before the restructuring and transfer to the largest new offices that came out in the news. If at that time with worse conditions they have been able to get 4 series simultaneously with better facilities, more production time (Dragon Quest almost 1 year) and after having earned so much money with Stampide and especially Broly, I see that they can get a new one series.

In addition the production of the Digimon movie has to end shortly and the staff of Kitaro I guess it will go to series like World Trigger when it ends. As for SDBH, they should simply limit the work of animators such as Miyako Tsuji and leave Yamamuro with fewer animators as in the first episodes.

I believe that we should not give up the return until more chapters of Kitaro or the series that replace it are announced.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:30 pm

If there aren't any staff left then does that mean no one is preparing for the new movie or is it being given to what's left of the SDBH staff? It just seems so odd that Toei just dropped the anime like it didn't even matter. Especially since so many things are getting brought from the dead and set to air next year/2021.

Doesn't Jump Festa have Q&As? There had to be at least one person that asked for details about the new movie/series.
Last edited by IntangibleFancy on Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:43 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:30 pm If there aren't any staff left then does that mean no one is preparing for the new movie or is it being given to what's left of the SDBH staff?
It means any storyline right now is being developed between Toriyama, Iyoku, and a producer at Toei Animation with no director chosen. A director will be chosen when somebody is available or at least closer to when production needs to begin in full, like with finalizing the script and starting storyboards.
She/Her
bisexual milf