"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

louisascommie
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by louisascommie » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:22 pm

So January is the month The kitaro replacement is announced

I looked at the nature of how gegege no kitaro was announced 2 years ago and it started with a countdown website that launched don January 3rd

Maybe history will repeat for the replacement franchise

I wouldn't get my hopes up but who knows

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:26 pm

emperior wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:22 pm
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:55 am
emperior wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:04 am I feel like Toriyama lost trust in Toei after the disaster Super was, and has thus decided that in the future they will have to go back to adapting the manga as they did back in the 80s.

Honestly this could be a good decision, especially for those of us who seek a more consistent product between both mediums. And if they finally decided to make a seasonal DB, it could have incredible quality.

Attack on Titan and My Hero Academia are two extremely popular seasonal animes, and they are proof that the format works very well.
DBS was not a disaster for goodness sake. One vague comment from Toriyama and you come up with this theory? You jump to conclusions way too much.

There is no rush for a new DB series I do not know why people have such a hard time grasping this. Jeez.
I should have specified how I meant a “quality disaster”. Which Super clearly was up until the Tournament of Power arc where things picked up a little.
Even Toriyama had complained about the quality of the show, and it’s possible that the drastic artstyle changes seen in Broly happened due to Toriyama demanding such changes.
Hasn't toriyama praised the anime multiple times after that though?
emperior wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:22 pm considering how much he has praised the manga, and how we basically only know for sure of it’s involvement with it (while Toei has generally been silent about Toriyama’s role with the anime) i
This isn't true. A writer and Toyotaro have both expressed Toriyama's involvement with the anime. Toriyama even says he puts more work into supervising it than he does with checking Toyo's work.

https://twitter.com/toshio916/status/859668635656126464
https://youtu.be/mdHqHnK-FvY?t=151
https://kanzenshuu.com/translations/dra ... vival-arc/
https://www.reddit.com/r/dbz/comments/6 ... vival_arc/

On a related note: Why would Toei just drop all of the current and potential anime original merchandise?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:41 pm

^Two things stand out for me in those links you provided...

1. Toriyama states that he watches/reads anime/manga. Taking ideas from them and put's it in "his work."
2. Toriyama also stated that Toyotaro is the most faithful to his story and art.

Even Toriyama understands that he is the authority [canon]. That DB must adhere to his rules.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:48 pm

Miracles wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:41 pm Even Toriyama understands that he is the authority [canon]. That DB must adhere to his rules.
Does going off-model count? Toriyama has this strange thing for skinnier characters now and Toei and Toyotaro have to very clearly deviate from some of his designs.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:05 am

IntangibleFancy wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:48 pm
Miracles wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:41 pm Even Toriyama understands that he is the authority [canon]. That DB must adhere to his rules.
Does going off-model count? Toriyama has this strange thing for skinnier characters now and Toei and Toyotaro have to very clearly deviate from some of his designs.
Toriyama let TOEI design Legendary Broly. He just told them not to make him too buff iirc. He isn't too particular about the muscle tone. Although Toyo is more closer to his liking in that department too.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:09 am

emperior wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:04 am I feel like Toriyama lost trust in Toei after the disaster Super was, and has thus decided that in the future they will have to go back to adapting the manga as they did back in the 80s.

Honestly this could be a good decision, especially for those of us who seek a more consistent product between both mediums. And if they finally decided to make a seasonal DB, it could have incredible quality.

Attack on Titan and My Hero Academia are two extremely popular seasonal animes, and they are proof that the format works very well.
DBS was not a disaster for goodness sake. One vague comment from Toriyama and you come up with this theory? You jump to conclusions way too much.

There is no rush for a new DB series I do not know why people have such a hard time grasping this. Jeez.
I should have specified how I meant a “quality disaster”. Which Super clearly was up until the Tournament of Power arc where things picked up a little.
Even Toriyama had complained about the quality of the show, and it’s possible that the drastic artstyle changes seen in Broly happened due to Toriyama demanding such changes.

Considering how much he has praised the manga, and how we basically only know for sure of it’s involvement with it (while Toei has generally been silent about Toriyama’s role with the anime) it’s possible that Toriyama likes Toyotaro so much that he would rather keep on helping only with the manga while Toei adapts it instead of having to supervise two products.
If Toyo's manga is indeed going to become the basis for a potential new series then it wouldn't still be relegated to the minor league magazine, lack of any significant marketing, still monthly and from what I have seen full of padding. The DBS manga very much feels like it is just a spin off. Not to mention monthly manga isn't much of a buffer for a true adaptation and also the Moro arc is from Toyo not Toriyama regardless of how involved Toriyama may be.

If they do decide to adapt the arc, it will more than likely be how DBS 1.0 was and it won't be a true adaptation like people seem to believe.

Nanatsu88

Post by Nanatsu88 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:46 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:09 am

Considering how much he has praised the manga, and how we basically only know for sure of it’s involvement with it (while Toei has generally been silent about Toriyama’s role with the anime) it’s possible that Toriyama likes Toyotaro so much that he would rather keep on helping only with the manga while Toei adapts it instead of having to supervise two products.
If Toyo's manga is indeed going to become the basis for a potential new series then it wouldn't still be relegated to the minor league magazine, lack of any significant marketing, still monthly and from what I have seen full of padding. The DBS manga very much feels like it is just a spin off. Not to mention monthly manga isn't much of a buffer for a true adaptation and also the Moro arc is from Toyo not Toriyama regardless of how involved Toriyama may be.

If they do decide to adapt the arc, it will more than likely be how DBS 1.0 was and it won't be a true adaptation like people seem to believe.
Good! I remember that you commented not long ago that you looked at the listings of future figures and other merchandising to take into account the future launch of the series.

If I am not mistaken, you commented a few weeks ago that Julio's lists had many unspecified products and that this could be due to the possible announcement of the series.

This past issue the Jump festa remains the same? Have they been revealed which are specifically or are there still several undisclosed products?

On the other hand, comment that for now Kitaro continues with only 8 confirmed boxes. In the next 3 or 4 weeks we should know if they extend it until autumn or if it will end

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:45 pm

The bottom line: The magazine is actually continuing Super's canonical without the TV series.
Can't really look at it as something on the side anymore.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:18 am

Miracles wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:45 pm The bottom line: The magazine is actually continuing Super's canonical without the TV series.
"The magazine"?

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:39 am

Hopefully they won't animate Galactic Patrol Prisoner Arc, although, I do think Akio Otsuka would have been perfect to voice Moro.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:06 am

Honestly Super adapting the manga as a seasonal anime would be quite nice in my opinion.
Surely there would be less complaints and it would finally feel like a cohesive product.
Although it would be nice to still get some filler episode every once and then, or for the anime to add to the manga.

I don’t think this will ever happen though.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:22 am

Psajdak wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:39 am Hopefully they won't animate Galactic Patrol Prisoner Arc, although, I do think Akio Otsuka would have been perfect to voice Moro.
Why? From the brief art and synopsis I've read it sounds awesome and a big missed opportunity if not animated.

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:52 am

sangofe wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:22 am Why? From the brief art and synopsis I've read it sounds awesome and a big missed opportunity if not animated.
Because I kind of wish for anime to be its own thing, and to surprise me with its own events.

Besides, even though as a fan, I am entertained by DBS manga, what is happening currently isn't all THAT amazing to me, but then again, I was never into DB manga in general, and really gotten into it with this arc, since there isn't that much fresh content at the moment.

Still, if they did decided to animate it, I certainly wouldn't complained.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:22 am

sangofe wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:18 am
Miracles wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:45 pm The bottom line: The magazine is actually continuing Super's canonical without the TV series.
"The magazine"?
lol

My bad...Meant comic.

Nanatsu88

Post by Nanatsu88 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:58 pm

I would like to provide an interesting fact in relation to my comment the other day about the possible production of Super and Dragon Quest with 1 year of production prior to the premiere. I have extracted these data directly from a video of Ajay, so the information is totally reliable.

Ajay commented on the issue of the short production time for the premiere of Super made them have to hire much more personal for episodes than it should be normal. In addition that also implied a higher economic expense since also in the power tournament they needed 2 directors for the series when with 1 it should always be enough. Well, this is the staff of chapters 1 and 101 of the series:

Ep1:
1 Animation Supervisor
10 Key Animators

Ep 101:
2 Animation Supervisor
1 Chief Animation Supervisor
12 Key Animators
4 2nd Key Animators

(Remember that at the time of episode 101 Toei had a Super, One Piece, Precure, Digimon and Tiger Mask broadcast. 5 series in simultaneous production. In addition to producing 2 Digimon Tri movies for February and September that year.)

As Ajay remarks, the number of Staff in a series is usually that of episode 1, but due to the disastrous production time, they increasingly needed more staff to have superior quality.

If they had had good production time the normal number of staff of animators and supervisors would have been 11 or 12 people in total. While in most of the series they have needed 16 or 19 people. Almost double what was necessary if I had had good production time.

Dragon Quest having almost 1 year of production prior to the premiere should have a standard staff of 11 people.
That is why I have the theory that the production of Dragon Quest does not have to have stopped Super. If Super has been cheering for many months as they showed Ajay the sources that leaked the info, the staff needed for the production should also be the standard.

In conclusion if the 2 series have been done with good production time, they would only need almost half of the staff that was used in Super and therefore it is possible that they have divided the staff to Super2 and Dragon Quest.

At most they should add 1 or 2 chief animator per episode and that is economically entirely possible due to the sale of Super broadcast rights worldwide and the greatest success of Toei's history in cinemas around the world with the Broly movie.

With this data it is demonstrated that the return is technically possible. In a few weeks we will leave doubts. :thumbup:

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:42 pm

Nanatsu88 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:58 pm
Dragon Quest having almost 1 year of production prior to the premiere should have a standard staff of 11 people.
Wait is this true? That means they've been working on this since after they finished the Broly movie, correct?

MeMeDZEHH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MeMeDZEHH » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:46 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:42 pm
Nanatsu88 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:58 pm
Wait is this true? That means they've been working on this since after they finished the Broly movie, correct?
Nop, he meant that the production of DQ started late 2019 for a broadcast in October 2020

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:25 pm

None of this means anything. Honestly, it's time to stop and just accept the inevitable (and, frankly, obvious) truth. Crazy conspiracy theories about staff are not going to bring Super back.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:04 pm

Ajay wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:25 pm Honestly, it's time to stop and just accept the inevitable (and, frankly, obvious) truth.
I know Toei has a history of being erratic with their marketing, but I really can't see what made Super the odd man out when almost every other anime is being revived/renewed during 2020-2021. All those false alarms last year don't explain this eternal hiatus either. There were way too many for an anime that either wasn't being worked on or dropped mid-production and placed into purgatory.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:58 pm

They want to focus on the next movie and then bring back the anime with the manga as a base, toyotaro years ago said he would eventually get ahead of the anime and that while at the time he was getting more ideas from them, it would eventually flip. Whether you like that or not is up to you but thats what seems to be the case