"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Alruneia
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Alruneia » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:40 pm

It appears that Super is returning at last!
...As in, there'll be a re-run on Adult Swim. :lol: I'm mainly posting this here so that no one gets fooled by misinformed hype.
Though on a serious note, if broadcasters are deciding to start doing re-runs, then that could mean they're not expecting any new Super episodes to arrive for a long time, since I doubt they'd want the dub to be over a year behind the sub again.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:36 am

Nanatsu88 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:52 am
DBZ_Lee wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:37 am
Saikyo no Senshi wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:18 am https://twitter.com/WithTheWill/status/ ... 9999805440 New Digimon TV series got leaked lol. I hope its outsourced cause else Toei will be in a complete mess. More info should come out soon, so we will find out if its replacing Kitaro or not.
Iirc, the last two Digimon shows aired on TV Asahi and TV Tokyo respectively, so I guess it's possible this doesn't necessarily go straight to Fuji TV, but I think it's likely, as the timeline for a trailer (US movie screens 25th March) coincides nicely with the new Season starting the following weekend in Japan.

Super is pretty much the only show not to return this year. Let's hope for 2021. There is still a chance this could be the English App Mon dub, as if not, Toei Japan will be livid.
It is strange that this series is going to air on FujiTV having previously aired on Asashi TV and TV Tokyo. However, it is the series that most possibilities have to be broadcast on FujiTV in April.
What is clear with this new production is that now the return of the series is impossible. One Piece, World Trigger, Digimon, Dragon Quest, (series Precure?)
If there was some staff available to do Super, with the Digimon series all doubts have been cleared.

The most curious of all is that Toei would make more money with the distribution of a new Dragon Ball TV series than with all other series together.

And this is not a year thing. With these new series we can say goodbye to Super's return to TV in at least 2 years. Therefore the premiere of another movie is closer than that of a new series. Although adapting the saga of Moro in a movie would not make sense because it has too much content. Although, as Toyotaro confirms, Moro's saga goes after Broly.

None of this makes sense. It seems that Toei wants to not take advantage of the good moment of the franchise and let it fall in popularity and earn less money.

It has no logic all this.
I picture Goku saying "Bye-bye everyone, till we meet again!". This really feels like the final stab from Toei. What's the use of the Dragon Ball room and all that? The most probable reason I can think of is Toriyama not wanting to work as much anymore. But I don't know anymore. Here we got one of the most, if not the most profitable and successful anime franchises the last 30 years and this? I'm confused by and disappointed in the right holders. And as a Dragon Ball fan it depresses me. Guess I have to pick up the manga now and stop waiting for more anime.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:47 am

sangofe wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:36 am The most probable reason I can think of is Toriyama not wanting to work as much anymore.

That could have played a role in the decision process, but that's not the one and only reason.
I really don't believe that a decision about so much money is being 'risked' only because of that.
Last edited by Mister_Popo on Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:51 am

Mister_Popo wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:47 am
sangofe wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:36 am The most probable reason I can think of is Toriyama not wanting to work as much anymore.

That could have played a role in the decision process, but that's not the one and only reason.
I really don't believe that.
Well, they said in interviews before if Toriyama wouldn't want anymore, they'd stop. Why the hell would they not want a TV show on?

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:59 am

sangofe wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:51 am
Mister_Popo wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:47 am

I really don't believe that.
Well, they said in interviews before if Toriyama wouldn't want anymore, they'd stop. Why the hell would they not want a TV show on?

That has to be taken with a gram of salt. The franchise can always continue with a new anime if they want, even when Toriyama dies.
Remember Toriyama as 'name' is still important, because of the feeling of authenticity, but how much is the man still 'really' involved in comparison to the old days? It's not that he has to put so much work in. He writes the outlines, does some sketches, or simply the manga can be used as base, and TOEI can start.

Btw Toriyama is still monthly involved in the manga. That demands some regular form of investment from him anyways. Why would he conscent in that if he's really done for the day, but rule out an anime, which still has more publicity value for the franchise?

I still think the main reason is they don't have to rush in a new anime, because the sales numbers are still running high without doing much for it. They might even have started a new anime, like Ajay last year suggested, but have come back on that after they saw how good sales kept going after Broly.

Sykin

Post by Sykin » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:10 am

Some people need to chill out and refrain from the “DB is dead guys.” sentiment. Maybe it’s not big in this thread but I see it in other places a fair bit.

Dragon Ball is far from dead. We have an ongoing manga that’s bringing us arguably one of the best arcs we’ve had in quite a while, a humbly sized esports scene with DBFZ, one of the most hyped up games in the franchises’ history is releasing soon, we know that we’ll eventually be getting another movie, and we do have an ongoing “mini-series” (even if it’s not even half-way decent.)

We’ll get a movie reveal next year, or even potentially much later this year. After that inevitably does well we’ll likely get a TV series sometime after that.

I want a proper TV series probably more than most people considering what it means to me, emotionally speaking. But it’s just not time. It’ll happen soon, have some patience.

caire
Not-So-Newbie

Post by caire » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:16 am

Sykin wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:10 am Some people need to chill out and refrain from the “DB is dead guys.” sentiment. Maybe it’s not big in this thread but I see it in other places a fair bit.

Dragon Ball is far from dead. We have an ongoing manga that’s bringing us arguably one of the best arcs we’ve had in quite a while, a humbly sized esports scene with DBFZ, one of the most hyped up games in the franchises’ history is releasing soon, we know that we’ll eventually be getting another movie, and we do have an ongoing “mini-series” (even if it’s not even half-way decent.)

We’ll get a movie reveal next year, or even potentially much later this year. After that inevitably does well we’ll likely get a TV series sometime after that.

I want a proper TV series probably more than most people considering what it means to me, emotionally speaking. But it’s just not time. It’ll happen soon, have some patience.
Honestly I really like this take. It's true, it is very easy to be pessimistic and I think the main issue for me is the slow drip-feeding of canon content; the manga is only out every month, and we've got nothing much else coming.
Hoping that we'll get more info on the new movie is definitely something that I'm looking forward to. I got into dragon ball pretty late, so missed the hype around Broly etc, and now I really want to experience that. I'm prepared to wait a while. I was genuinely down for a few days after realising that we're not going to get a TV series for a while, but it seems the one thing dragon ball teaches you is patience :lol:

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:38 am

Sykin wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:10 am Some people need to chill out and refrain from the “DB is dead guys.” sentiment. Maybe it’s not big in this thread but I see it in other places a fair bit.

There is no real reason to be optimistic about a tv-series.
A lot of disappointment has sprouted from the illusion / too much irrelevant optimism we'll get another anime.

Social media take advantage from this and augment the problem. They obtain clickbait from creating hype that's based on peoples wishful thinking, not reality. Honestly the modern media are relevant as long there is new content to talk about, but as soon as a popular series has ended, it's used for speculation with false proof when it's going to return, even if there are no official sources backing this up.
This leads to people getting disappointed over and over because they expect something to be true that's not there.
At least at Kanzenshuu we should learn from this.

I personally stay optimistic, because a new movie is great to look forward to on its own. I've gone through ages when additional animated content concerning DB was nothing more than a dream.

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:44 pm

Dragon Ball is not completely dead... yet.
We get 1 chapter each month. That's it. No more content.

I don't care any video game, so it doesn't matter for me.

"Ongoing mini-series"? You mean Super Dragon Ball Heroes? It's not a series, just a trash commercial which is worse than nothing. :thumbdown:

Many fans treat it as a fact that there will be a new movie, but that's not at all certain yet.

caire
Not-So-Newbie

Post by caire » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:48 pm

Sani007 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:44 pm
Many fans treat it as a fact that there will be a new movie, but that's not at all certain yet.
It's pretty much as close to fact as we can get without an official announcement. The fact that Akio Iyoku's on record saying that they are "making preparations for" the next one, plus that he apparently briefly mentioned it again at Jump Festa, is a pretty good indication that something is happening.

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:56 pm

caire wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:48 pm
It's pretty much as close to fact as we can get without an official announcement. The fact that Akio Iyoku's on record saying that they are "making preparations for" the next one, plus that he apparently briefly mentioned it again at Jump Festa, is a pretty good indication that something is happening.
Yeah. Maybe. (in 2021/22)
But it's not a fact. The fact is that there will be no series or movie this year. A live anime/manga franchise is not like that

caire
Not-So-Newbie

Post by caire » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:58 pm

Sani007 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:56 pm
But it's not a fact. The fact is that there will be no series or movie this year. A live anime/manga franchise is not like that
Oh no, I definitely don't think there'll be anything like that this year. At most there might be some form of announcement towards the end of the year, but I wouldn't expect to see any animated material until later than that.

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:02 pm

caire wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:58 pm
Sani007 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:56 pm

Oh no, I definitely don't think there'll be anything like that this year. At most there might be some form of announcement towards the end of the year, but I wouldn't expect to see any animated material until later than that.
Then we agree. :thumbup:
We won't get a new anime this year, just like last year.

Dragon Ball is really not dead? :crazy:

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:46 pm

To be honest, I think the animated portion of Dragon Ball Super is dead (or in purgatory at the very least). Think about it. The staff that worked on Super dropped it to work on other anime, we were repeatedly told they had no current plans to ressurect the anime last year, and the people that attended Jump Festa showed no interest in it at all and the only thing we have regarding the movie is one nonchalant mention and a concert that may not even exist.

I know we still have SDBH, but that's just a 9 minute commercial with an irregular schedule. The next episode won't even be on for another 3 months.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

zekken1

Post by zekken1 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:42 pm

Let's wait for the fate of Kitano. But it seriously looks like DBS 2 is on the back burner seeing as SDBH season 2 just got announced. That's not a bad thing tho. Having this interlude in the international market will just make the eventual return even more hype, as long as it doesnt take too long.
I genuinely believe Dragon Ball is at the top where it is now because it has accurately and appropriately represented martial arts like no other anime & manga out there. Getting stronger through hardship & getting rewarded for hard work. And the show is funny & easily "digestible" people may say the plot is too cookie cutter sometimes & while I would very much like more grey elements and more mature story lines. The story's simplistic nature lends itself to be very easy to pick up.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:16 pm

zekken1 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:42 pm Let's wait for the fate of Kitano. But it seriously looks like DBS 2 is on the back burner seeing as SDBH season 2 just got announced. That's not a bad thing tho. Having this interlude in the international market will just make the eventual return even more hype, as long as it doesnt take too long.

Hype after long interlude, maybe with hardcore DB-fans. But there are a load of 'new fans' that the revival brought in as well, they can loose their attention easily if nothing is offered for a number of years.
Don't forget people have a massive offer of anime / fantasy / sci-fi to choose from these days and only a limited amount of time to watch series.
Too much DB can have a saturation-effect. I can follow that one. But they are going somehow for a gamble and aren't taking full advantage of the revival-effect for the moment. The effect can always suddenly wear down with the big crowd. From a business perspective, they'll probably somehow have their reasons why this strategy is applied, i have tried to explain it, but it still doesn't make complete sense what is happening right now with DBS. Not by western standards anyways. They are basically sitting on a goldmine but they aren't digging.

Toriyama could very well be involved with this decision, but i truely don't think he alone is holding this thing back. He even allowed GT back in the day just after he quitted. Something is going on behind the screens, potentially multiple factors, but but we can only guess exactly what.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:47 pm

zekken1 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:42 pm Having this interlude in the international market will just make the eventual return even more hype, as long as it doesn't take too long.
The anime ended in March 2018. What actually constitutes as "too long" is subjective, but when we're coming up on two years since then (not counting DBS: Broly, which was one year ago), I think a lot of people would say that it's too long. So essentially we should already be at the point of diminishing returns.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

zekken1

Post by zekken1 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:15 pm

Alruneia wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:47 pm
zekken1 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:42 pm Having this interlude in the international market will just make the eventual return even more hype, as long as it doesn't take too long.
The anime ended in March 2018. What actually constitutes as "too long" is subjective, but when we're coming up on two years since then (not counting DBS: Broly, which was one year ago), I think a lot of people would say that it's too long. So essentially we should already be at the point of diminishing returns.
Too long would be if we diddn't get any DBS2 news this year. A good time could be San Diego this year like Broly was announced then DBS2 either in January or April 2021. Anything after than that would be tarnishing.

And seeing TOEI's Anime slate for the year we shouldn't expect anything this year. Digimon was announced, but it's only for 24 episodes if I'm not mistaken. World Trigger was announced, Dragon Quest is starting in October. And as usual One Piece, Wano saga even which means high quality production. So nothing for 2020.
I genuinely believe Dragon Ball is at the top where it is now because it has accurately and appropriately represented martial arts like no other anime & manga out there. Getting stronger through hardship & getting rewarded for hard work. And the show is funny & easily "digestible" people may say the plot is too cookie cutter sometimes & while I would very much like more grey elements and more mature story lines. The story's simplistic nature lends itself to be very easy to pick up.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:14 am

What's taking over for Kitaro?

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:59 am

The new Digimon TV series is confirmed to replace Kitaro in Spring.