"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:59 am

emperior wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:35 am

But, honestly, the only thing we know about the future of the anime is that there will be a movie. And it will be 100% written by Toriyama, which is why Toei haven’t already done one themselves. In that case, Moro will most likely be skipped and at best adapted in the future after the movie has aired.

If the movie takes place after Moro, and the Moro arc isn't adapted yet when it's released, there is a very big chance it'll stay a manga only thing. It's confusing for people that aren't following the manga and the franchise probably wants to bring the animated content chronologically.
It doesn't plead in the Moro arcs adaptations favour we haven't heard anything from it.

I think it's still possible they'll choose for a movie format from now on, and there will be no anime (although i don't like the idea), at least not in the coming 6-7 years. Toriyama can chill out a bit, do the occasional movie, and the investment cost of an anime aren't needed as long as the money comes in, which will be the case with new movies every 2 to 3 years.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:44 pm

MeMeDZEHH wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:49 am
Matches Malone wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:13 am
MeMeDZEHH wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:59 am TOEI won't do seasonal anime for any of their series. You gotta stop with this
Kitaro and Digimon are seasonal.
Absolutely not
Both shows don't air for years on end like One Piece for example.

Digimon Data Squad aired for one year from 2006-2007. After that there was a 3 year break until Digimon Fusion aired from 2010-2012. When the next show airs later this year, it will have been 8 years since fusion ended. Kitaro on the other hand only gets an anime every 8-10 years.

When it comes to DB, I don't think we're going to get something that will air for years on end like how the 3 original anime aired 500+ episodes non stop, but I also don't think we'll have to wait as long as something like Kitaro. Instead we'll probably get 50 or even 100 episodes every 3-4 years.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:33 pm

So let me get this straight:

If your guys’ theory is correct..

Then Toei will adapt Super’s Anime version straight from the Manga as opposed to from Toriyama’s outline like before?

But Toriyama will still be giving his outlines, but only to Toyotaro from now on and not anymore to Toei and its animation staff?

Is that the gist of it?

And exactly “WHY” would this be beneficial?? And for WHO would this be beneficial? I haven’t read too much of this thread yet, so if someone could enlighten me on that one it would be appreciated.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:48 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:44 pm

When it comes to DB, I don't think we're going to get something that will air for years on end like how the 3 original anime aired 500+ episodes non stop, but I also don't think we'll have to wait as long as something like Kitaro. Instead we'll probably get 50 or even 100 episodes every 3-4 years.

That's a way to stretch the revival in time and avoid saturation.
A movie every two or three years brings in more cash directly from sales, and could be enough to stretch the revival as well without saturation.
Movies don't cost as much as an anime.
They can still always throw in another series if sales start to drop considerable.

I'm still not yet entirely convinced of the theory the anime isn't there yet solely because it's waiting for the manga to get more ahead, although it's a theory and not entirely impossible, it's dangerous for disappointment to count too much on it.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:10 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:48 pmI'm still not yet entirely convinced of the theory the anime isn't there yet because it's waiting for the manga to get more ahead, although it's a descent theory and not entirely impossible, it's dangerous for disappointment to count too much on it.
Another thing that might happen is that they could eventually switch the manga from a monthly basis to a weekly one, and move it to Weekly Shonen Jump as a main series alongside One Piece. They could announce that and the anime at the same time to maximize interest in both.

I do agree that we shouldn't rely too much on rumors and theories, but one thing's for sure, there seems to be a lot of conflict between everyone involved with the franchise in regards to how it should move forward. Just as a failure can throw things into the air, so can a success. Broly managed to make nearly DOUBLE the amount of money that RF made at the box office, that must have had an impact on their plans.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:49 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:10 pm Another thing that might happen is that they could eventually switch the manga from a monthly basis to a weekly one, and move it to Weekly Shonen Jump as a main series alongside One Piece. They could announce that and the anime at the same time to maximize interest in both.
This is extremely unlikely; I would definitely suggest you check out this recent/ongoing thread for a discussion of the myriad of reasons why.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:09 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:33 pm So let me get this straight:

Then Toei will adapt Super’s Anime version straight from the Manga as opposed to from Toriyama’s outline like before?

But Toriyama will still be giving his outlines, but only to Toyotaro from now on and not anymore to Toei and its animation staff?

Is that the gist of it?

And exactly “WHY” would this be beneficial?? And for WHO would this be beneficial? I haven’t read too much of this thread yet, so if someone could enlighten me on that one it would be appreciated.
To WHOM? Toriyama.

WHY? Because Toriyama is lazy and prefers to supervise only one medium. In this case, his favoured medium is the manga because it’s what he’s most familiar with. Also, he seems to favour Toyotaro’s ways of handling his stories and has even trusted him on designing many characters, and most recently to even write a full-fledged arc.
With the manga he can also change how the story goes more easily, as it’s drawn month by month, while anime episodes are written months in advance and generally can’t be altered too much on short notice.

Most importantly, if the anime adapted the manga all of Toriyama’s work would boil down to “check storyboards every month and the script every arc” thus he would avoid all the meetings he had to do with Toei for the anime, he wouldn’t have to supervise all the storyboards and scripts for it, and would possibly also avoid having to even write outlines or design many new characters as that would be Toyotaro’s job.
It would also be easier for him to just have the manga as the main continuity, as it always has been for his manga, instead of having to juggle between two continuities.

Super started out as an anime with the manga as promotion for it, but it seems like Toyotaro may have convinced Toriyama to switch things to the way they used to be back in his days.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:15 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:49 pm
Matches Malone wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:10 pm Another thing that might happen is that they could eventually switch the manga from a monthly basis to a weekly one, and move it to Weekly Shonen Jump as a main series alongside One Piece. They could announce that and the anime at the same time to maximize interest in both.
This is extremely unlikely; I would definitely suggest you check out this recent/ongoing thread for a discussion of the myriad of reasons why.
Thanks for the link and I agree with what's brought up in it.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:59 pm

If they really are waiting for Toyotaro to get far enough then will they put the show in filler hell like Boruto or go seasonal?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:23 pm

emperior wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:09 pm

Is that the gist of it?

To WHOM? Toriyama.

WHY? Because Toriyama is lazy and prefers to supervise only one medium. In this case, his favoured medium is the manga because it’s what he’s most familiar with. Also, he seems to favour Toyotaro’s ways of handling his stories and has even trusted him on designing many characters, and most recently to even write a full-fledged arc.
With the manga he can also change how the story goes more easily, as it’s drawn month by month, while anime episodes are written months in advance and generally can’t be altered too much on short notice.

Most importantly, if the anime adapted the manga all of Toriyama’s work would boil down to “check storyboards every month and the script every arc” thus he would avoid all the meetings he had to do with Toei for the anime, he wouldn’t have to supervise all the storyboards and scripts for it, and would possibly also avoid having to even write outlines or design many new characters as that would be Toyotaro’s job.
It would also be easier for him to just have the manga as the main continuity, as it always has been for his manga, instead of having to juggle between two continuities.

Super started out as an anime with the manga as promotion for it, but it seems like Toyotaro may have convinced Toriyama to switch things to the way they used to be back in his days.

It would be perfectly possible to point on one writer for DBS, who works further on a story outline from Toriyama, who makes a consistent story for the DBS anime, this while garding the news and scope value of the anime at the same time. Preferably someone who specializes in writing episodes for animated content. It does not have to be Toyotaro doing this. Toyotaro has written some descent stuff, like recently the Moro arc, but he has messed up some things pretty badly as well, writing even worse at occasions than the Super anime, fe Tournament of Power.

I don't think the formula of the anime doing everything in advance was bad as such, the main problem was it lacked consistency.
Writers were different from episode to episode, there was no overview.

That problem could be easily solved by pointing one good writer without Toriyama having to do an awful lot more.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:53 pm

Is that the gist of it?

To WHOM? Toriyama.

Thanks. But wouldn’t it also be easier for Toei aswell to simply adapt the manga? That way, they don’t have to come up with new plot details and how to interpret the story outlines exactly, it saves them a lot of thinking and coming up with stuff and addition. They could simply copy the manga panel by panel, and only fill in some small details to make the 20 minute episode mark. They also don’t have to feel guilty about any mistakes they might make. What do you think?

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:14 pm

Is that the gist of it?

because anime and manga are different in development and events

they will not abandon everything advanced in the series .. just to adapt the manga

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:44 am

GodVegetto91 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:53 pm

Is that the gist of it?

To WHOM? Toriyama.

Thanks. But wouldn’t it also be easier for Toei aswell to simply adapt the manga? That way, they don’t have to come up with new plot details and how to interpret the story outlines exactly, it saves them a lot of thinking and coming up with stuff and addition. They could simply copy the manga panel by panel, and only fill in some small details to make the 20 minute episode mark. They also don’t have to feel guilty about any mistakes they might make. What do you think?
Yes, it would also be easier for Toei because of the reasons you stated.

By using the manga as the basis they also wouldn’t have to invent new backgrounds for the fights, as they would just have to copy what the manga did and thus also speed up the production, because I am sure every single sheet they produced had to be checked and approved by multiple people.
This also applies to the design of the characters (ex. Secondary characters, changes in clothing of main characters etc.).

The more I think about it the more it sounds like the most reasonable thing for them to do.
But who knows if they will ever really adapt the manga at all. Although leaving Moro arc unanimated would sound counterproductive for them - it would be like leaving some easy cash on the table, considering the story is already there and approved by Toriyama.
Though they also never animated the quite successful Yamcha spin-off, even though they surely had the chance to do so in this long drought of animated DB content.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:26 am

Mister_Popo wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:29 pmMarvel kept using 'Stan Lee presents' a very long time after Stan Lee quit writing stories. It's no real deceiving, people knew he did no longer wrote the stories, but it gave the fans a feeling of authenticity and it sold well. If Toriyama still is able to see the content before it's spread, the original author is still supervising and acknowledging the story as being the official continuation.
I don't know of any anime that used this method so I don't think DB will be the first. I feel some fans are under the impression that Toei intends for the series to continue as long as possible with or without Toriyama so they're coming up with any possible strategy that could extend this revival a little longer.

If you do feel they would attempt one of these strategies, how long do you think they will last for? Another 100 episodes? Do you think this revival will have as many episodes as the original run of the series?

Like all revivals in recent memory, they eventually come to an end. The stories they were based already had a conclusion years ago so these revivals will also have one. I think what everyone agrees on is that it won't last forever so the disagreement is how far they're willing to go. All we have is the director of Broly saying it depends on Toriyama. I don't think they'll change their minds just to squeeze out a few extra sagas before it ends.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:44 am

And if our theory is correct, this is exactly the reason why it takes so long for the Anime to return... Because the Manga will need to be quite ahead of it first. Hence they’re waiting for Toyotaro’s story to progress even further so they can start adapting it?

Luckily, they still have the Broly movie to adapt first, (And kill time!). And trust me, they WILL adapt it into an Anime Arc. It makes no sense for it otherwise.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:45 am

GodVegetto91 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:44 am Luckily, they still have the Broly movie to adapt first, (And kill time!). And trust me, they WILL adapt it into an Anime Arc. It makes no sense for it otherwise.
Don't take this the wrong way, but I wish I didn't agree with you. An anime adaptation of DBS Broly would be like Resurrection F. That is, it'd be way worse than the movie version. So they shouldn't make it if at all possible... but they almost certainly will. Between it and filler/slice of life I'd expect an eventual "Super 2" anime to not get into the Moro arc until episode 10 or so, just to stretch things out a bit more.

Speaking of stretching things out, I have to disagree with the posts that claim that the Moro arc would end up being short. Ignoring the fact that it's not over yet (though it's nearing its final act), there is actually plenty of content that the manga didn't touch upon that much and the anime could expand into long segments. A few examples are the nameless fused Namekian that got one-shot by Moro (the anime could turn that into a fight similar to the Nail vs Frieza fight), the two months of training, and (especially) the battles between the defenders of Earth and the escaped convicts that are going on right now. If they want to take their time, they absolutely can.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:39 am

IntangibleFancy wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:59 pm If they really are waiting for Toyotaro to get far enough then will they put the show in filler hell like Boruto or go seasonal?
I think once the Moro arc's anime version ends, they'll just wait for the next arc to conclude before continuing the anime.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:41 pm

Skar wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:26 am
Mister_Popo wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:29 pmMarvel kept using 'Stan Lee presents' a very long time after Stan Lee quit writing stories. It's no real deceiving, people knew he did no longer wrote the stories, but it gave the fans a feeling of authenticity and it sold well. If Toriyama still is able to see the content before it's spread, the original author is still supervising and acknowledging the story as being the official continuation.
I don't know of any anime that used this method so I don't think DB will be the first. I feel some fans are under the impression that Toei intends for the series to continue as long as possible with or without Toriyama so they're coming up with any possible strategy that could extend this revival a little longer.

If you do feel they would attempt one of these strategies, how long do you think they will last for? Another 100 episodes? Do you think this revival will have as many episodes as the original run of the series?

Like all revivals in recent memory, they eventually come to an end. The stories they were based already had a conclusion years ago so these revivals will also have one. I think what everyone agrees on is that it won't last forever so the disagreement is how far they're willing to go. All we have is the director of Broly saying it depends on Toriyama. I don't think they'll change their minds just to squeeze out a few extra sagas before it ends.

I think Dragon Ball since long has passed the point of being one story alone.
It's a franchise with multiple story continuations: not only in manga and anime, but also in games etc

You could see the original manga as a different story, the original anime run ending on GT as a different one, or just the stuff Toriyama is involved (original manga + Super) in as yet a different one etc. And even Super has three different continuities at the moment.
A story in essence needs an ending, true. Well, you can basically choose your own ending if you want.

I just hope Toriyama does write a fitting ending on how he sees things, to end his involvement. I think they will keep on using his name when he's no longer actively involved, in one way or another. (Although this is no must for me.) DB will not die. The franchise will go on to make new stories, although after Toriyamas quitting there could be a period of silence. No matter who writes new content, i'll be prepared to read or watch it with an open mindset.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:47 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:44 am And if our theory is correct, this is exactly the reason why it takes so long for the Anime to return... Because the Manga will need to be quite ahead of it first. Hence they’re waiting for Toyotaro’s story to progress even further so they can start adapting it?

Luckily, they still have the Broly movie to adapt first, (And kill time!). And trust me, they WILL adapt it into an Anime Arc. It makes no sense for it otherwise.

Just bare in mind this isn't backed up up by any official source, it's mere speculation.
If that's really 100 % the reason and it's already decided, i just wonder why they stay so secretive about it.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:30 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:41 pmI just hope Toriyama does write a fitting ending on how he sees things, to end his involvement. No matter who writes new content, I'll be prepared to read or watch it with an open mindset.
I think Toriyama will end his involvement with either a massive tournament between the u7 and the universes that didn't take part in the last one, in which Goku will be named the strongest fighter in the multiverse, or some kind of multiverse war against Freeza. I think both will happen, I just don't know which will be his final. In terms of the new writer, I think it'll be Toyotaro as he's already getting more control over the story's direction and that'll just increase as time goes on. I'll be happy with whatever he writes as long as it's original, and so far he's to a good start with the Moro arc.