"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
IntangibleFancy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 460
Joined: Mon May 08, 2017 2:43 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by IntangibleFancy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:16 pm

Noah wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:12 pm
emperior wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:48 pm
So the earliest Super can come back is October 2021. Jeez, doesn’t sound too good.
So be glad we still have things like Heroes short clips and the Moro side-story arc to entertain ourselves.
The main reason why I want the anime back is so I don't have to wait months to be drip fed like I am with SDBH and DBS' manga. Any excitement I very rarely get for them just vanishes after the second or third week, and to make it worse, I can't even say their quality is worth the wait.

Furthermore, how is Bandai going to stop milking Z if we have no DBS to give them beyond the Black arc and the ToP? They're either waiting for the anime to return or waiting for Toyotaro to wrap up his arc and if it's taking him 2 years to finish this one Imagine how long the next one will be.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

User avatar
Skar
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1089
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:04 pm
Location: US

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Skar » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:42 am

IntangibleFancy wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:47 pm
I can totally see that happening, but what gives? It's been 3 years. I wish we could talk to someone that actually works for Toei. the last guy said they didn't give up on Super yet, but I'm finding that harder and harder to believe every year.
Some anime have had a few years between seasons to let the manga get far ahead and have more to adapt. Maybe Toei decided it would be easier to use Toyotaro's manga as a reference since it's less work than adapting from Toriyama's outline from scratch and they'll work on other anime in the meantime. If the anime returns next year, they'll likely adapt Broly and Moro while Toyotaro is still working on the next manga arc. It's also possible Toei wants to release the next movie first.

User avatar
Skar
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1089
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:04 pm
Location: US

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Skar » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:16 pm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/comicbook. ... -pandemic/

Jump Festa 2021 will be online this year. Does anyone when panels are announced? I remember it being in September or October last year. I rewatched Broly this week so I'm getting excited for the announcement of the next movie hopefully at Jump Festa..

User avatar
UpFromTheSkies
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1820
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:05 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:19 am

IntangibleFancy wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:16 pm
Noah wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:12 pm
emperior wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:48 pm
So the earliest Super can come back is October 2021. Jeez, doesn’t sound too good.
So be glad we still have things like Heroes short clips and the Moro side-story arc to entertain ourselves.
The main reason why I want the anime back is so I don't have to wait months to be drip fed like I am with SDBH and DBS' manga.
We actually get the same ammount of pages per month as the original manga, and it took Toriyama about a year to finish each story arc for Z

User avatar
Matches Malone
I Live Here
Posts: 2683
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:26 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:19 am
We actually get the same ammount of pages per month as the original manga, and it took Toriyama about a year to finish each story arc for Z.
The difference is that there was so much more going on in Toriyama's stories compared to this Moro arc that's just been dragging for months now.

User avatar
PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 411
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:58 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by PremiumSalt » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:59 am

Matches Malone wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:26 am
UpFromTheSkies wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:19 am
We actually get the same ammount of pages per month as the original manga, and it took Toriyama about a year to finish each story arc for Z.
The difference is that there was so much more going on in Toriyama's stories compared to this Moro arc that's just been dragging for months now.
It honestly feels to me like Toyotaro is stalling for something at this point, like he isn't allowed to begin the next arc until...an announcement of some sort? I'm not sure.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

User avatar
Matches Malone
I Live Here
Posts: 2683
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:42 am

PremiumSalt wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:59 am
Matches Malone wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:26 am
UpFromTheSkies wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:19 am
We actually get the same ammount of pages per month as the original manga, and it took Toriyama about a year to finish each story arc for Z.
The difference is that there was so much more going on in Toriyama's stories compared to this Moro arc that's just been dragging for months now.
It honestly feels to me like Toyotaro is stalling for something at this point, like he isn't allowed to begin the next arc until...an announcement of some sort? I'm not sure.
I think the arc will end in November so that the next arc can be announced on December 20th at Jump Festa with the first chapter being published a day later.

User avatar
sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6638
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by sangofe » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:21 am

I'd say not to get our hopes up.

User avatar
Matches Malone
I Live Here
Posts: 2683
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:31 am

sangofe wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:21 am
I'd say not to get our hopes up.
I think what we can more or less be sure of is the next arc in the manga being announced. Expecting anything else may be expecting too much.

User avatar
Nanatsu88
Newbie
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:33 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Nanatsu88 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:06 am

There are VERY IMPORTANT news in relation to this topic.

An important French youtuber named Saikyo Devin spoke yesterday with the great French animator SANDA.
This animator has participated in Boruto, Jojo, One Piece and the remake of Dragon Quest Dai.
I was watching the interview live and he talked about very interesting things related to these series and the animation process.

The important thing is that the youtuber commit what Masaki Sato said many months ago when they asked him at a French event for the animated continuation of Super in which he said he did not know if it would be a series or a movie.
SANDA responds that a continuation of the series is already in production but that he cannot give more information because he does not participate and does not know more.

SANDA claims TOEI productions have changed and now they set things up as much longer as Dragon Quest Dai.

This is not a rumor or an unreliable source. This is a real confirmation from an animator who works with TOEI.
It is also important to note that SANDA confirms that he is not working on that animated production. This confirms that the project has already started to animate and he is not part of the animation.

This confirms that the continuation of Dragon Ball is already taking place and the animation process has begun, so it should be released next year. In addition, if they have started animating, a minitrailer of the anime or movie could be presented at this year's Jump Festa, as has happened in other years with the One Piece or Dragon Quest Dai movies last year. :thumbup:

User avatar
IntangibleFancy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 460
Joined: Mon May 08, 2017 2:43 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by IntangibleFancy » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:20 pm

Nanatsu88 wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:06 am
There are VERY IMPORTANT news in relation to this topic.

An important French youtuber named Saikyo Devin spoke yesterday with the great French animator SANDA.
This animator has participated in Boruto, Jojo, One Piece and the remake of Dragon Quest Dai.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilzT-9qEdzA
He already put the timestamp in the comments, but is there another version with English captions or something? I want to read/listen to it for myself.
Nanatsu88 wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:06 am
SANDA claims TOEI productions have changed and now they set things up as much longer as Dragon Quest Dai.
Just checking to make sure we're on the same page: Does this mean DBS production process is going to be as lengthy as DQD?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

BagetaSama
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:32 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by BagetaSama » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:51 pm

Skar wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:42 am
IntangibleFancy wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:47 pm
I can totally see that happening, but what gives? It's been 3 years. I wish we could talk to someone that actually works for Toei. the last guy said they didn't give up on Super yet, but I'm finding that harder and harder to believe every year.
Some anime have had a few years between seasons to let the manga get far ahead and have more to adapt. Maybe Toei decided it would be easier to use Toyotaro's manga as a reference since it's less work than adapting from Toriyama's outline from scratch and they'll work on other anime in the meantime. If the anime returns next year, they'll likely adapt Broly and Moro while Toyotaro is still working on the next manga arc. It's also possible Toei wants to release the next movie first.
Yeah but the DBS anime was never a manga adaptation. It has always been it's own continuity, not adapting the manga.

User avatar
Nanatsu88
Newbie
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:33 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Nanatsu88 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:05 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:20 pm
Nanatsu88 wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:06 am
There are VERY IMPORTANT news in relation to this topic.

An important French youtuber named Saikyo Devin spoke yesterday with the great French animator SANDA.
This animator has participated in Boruto, Jojo, One Piece and the remake of Dragon Quest Dai.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilzT-9qEdzA
He already put the timestamp in the comments, but is there another version with English captions or something? I want to read/listen to it for myself.
Nanatsu88 wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:06 am
SANDA claims TOEI productions have changed and now they set things up as much longer as Dragon Quest Dai.
Just checking to make sure we're on the same page: Does this mean DBS production process is going to be as lengthy as DQD?
Sorry, the video uploaded by the youtuber does not have English subtitles. There are several users asking him to put the subtitles but since it is a video of so many hours I do not know if he will.

User avatar
IntangibleFancy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 460
Joined: Mon May 08, 2017 2:43 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by IntangibleFancy » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:54 pm

Alright.

I'm surprised we didn't get a bigger turnout. Are people finally tired of the false hope, or are we just waiting for a translation?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

User avatar
Alruneia
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1736
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:40 pm
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Alruneia » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:20 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:54 pm
Alright.

I'm surprised we didn't get a bigger turnout. Are people finally tired of the false hope, or are we just waiting for a translation?
I'm personally waiting for a proper, full translation along with a "vote of confidence" before I post about it, at least. I want to know not only exactly what's being said, but also if the consensus is that this interview is trustworthy. I'm a bit wary after the July 2019 thing, and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of other people are too. I'm sure Youtubers will make videos about it and make it more publicly known the moment it's translated, though.
Current avatar: DBU Bulla
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Dragon Ball Ultimate (fanfic) progress: 73 out of 150 chapters complete

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
(I'm just gonna start working on chapters 13-18...)

Kinokima
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1547
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:02 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Kinokima » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:31 pm

Yeah I am too wary to get excited about anything Dragon Ball related

Would be nice though especially in these times

User avatar
PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 411
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:58 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by PremiumSalt » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:52 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:54 pm
I'm surprised we didn't get a bigger turnout. Are people finally tired of the false hope, or are we just waiting for a translation?
Yeah I think I've seen one too many "it's totally coming!!!" posts for me to get excited at this point.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

User avatar
Matches Malone
I Live Here
Posts: 2683
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:23 am

IntangibleFancy wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:54 pm
I'm surprised we didn't get a bigger turnout. Are people finally tired of the false hope ?
This is where I stand on the topic. I'm not saying it won't happen, but I think it's best to keep our expectation in check so that we don't end up disappointed. Personally, I'm looking forward to the next manga arc and video game being announced, as they're far more likely than the anime.

User avatar
Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1018
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:12 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Mister_Popo » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:56 pm

I know French as well, have watched the vid.
He says 'what his idea is', nothing more, nothing less, but does not actually confirm the series is currently in production.
He does state a new movie is in pre-preparation, but we already knew that, nothing new.

His name signature is beneath it, this while TOEI of course wants to bring the news themselves, IF a series would be in production.
Everyone who does that in their place, is basically an enemy.
When he would talk, he risks his career and a pretty bad name in the anime industry.

User avatar
sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6638
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by sangofe » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:01 am

I just watched it and I can confirm. The animator Sanda knows nothing. He just stated the obvious we've known for long - there's something in preperation. He doesn't know if it's only the movie, or a movie and a tv-show.

Post Reply