"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TobyS
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by TobyS » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:09 am

BagetaSama wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:51 pm
Skar wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:42 am
IntangibleFancy wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:47 pmI can totally see that happening, but what gives? It's been 3 years. I wish we could talk to someone that actually works for Toei. the last guy said they didn't give up on Super yet, but I'm finding that harder and harder to believe every year.
Some anime have had a few years between seasons to let the manga get far ahead and have more to adapt. Maybe Toei decided it would be easier to use Toyotaro's manga as a reference since it's less work than adapting from Toriyama's outline from scratch and they'll work on other anime in the meantime. If the anime returns next year, they'll likely adapt Broly and Moro while Toyotaro is still working on the next manga arc. It's also possible Toei wants to release the next movie first.
Yeah but the DBS anime was never a manga adaptation. It has always been it's own continuity, not adapting the manga.
Yeah and it suffered for it. So perhaps they have learned from their mistake.

This is a win win. If you think the manga is better the anime will be better now.

And if you think the manga is worse the anime can fix the bad parts and expand on the good.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

BagetaSama
Beyond Newbie

Post by BagetaSama » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:48 pm

TobyS wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:09 am
BagetaSama wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:51 pm
Skar wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:42 am
Some anime have had a few years between seasons to let the manga get far ahead and have more to adapt. Maybe Toei decided it would be easier to use Toyotaro's manga as a reference since it's less work than adapting from Toriyama's outline from scratch and they'll work on other anime in the meantime. If the anime returns next year, they'll likely adapt Broly and Moro while Toyotaro is still working on the next manga arc. It's also possible Toei wants to release the next movie first.
Yeah but the DBS anime was never a manga adaptation. It has always been it's own continuity, not adapting the manga.
Yeah and it suffered for it. So perhaps they have learned from their mistake.

This is a win win. If you think the manga is better the anime will be better now.

And if you think the manga is worse the anime can fix the bad parts and expand on the good.
I mean, is there any kind of precedent for an anime becoming a manga adaptation halfway through it's run? That seems strange to do. Also, I personally heavily prefer the anime.
If they did that, it wouldn't really be a manga adaptation at that point. If they're making substantial changes to the plot. Like with the DBZ anime, the central plot is IDENTICAL to the manga, with just filler that adds random shit that adds next to nothing to the plot in the form of filler.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:39 am

BagetaSama wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:48 pmI mean, is there any kind of precedent for an anime becoming a manga adaptation halfway through it's run? That seems strange to do. Also, I personally heavily prefer the anime.
I didn't mean the anime would become 100% faithful to the manga just that Toei might use it as a reference and add their own ideas from there. It was said in an interview that the animators used the manga as a reference a few times already. Since the manga is ahead of the anime now, it might make it easier for Toei to use the manga as a starting point than adapting from only Toriyama's written outlines.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:01 am

BagetaSama wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:48 pmIs there any kind of precedent for an anime becoming a manga adaptation halfway through it's run?
Super 2.0 will technically be a "new" anime. It will have been over 4 years since 1.0 ended, and it's (according to sources) getting a new artistic style thanks to Shintani being involved. I think there might be a chance it won't even be called Super. In terms of how close it'll be to the manga, I don't think it's be a 1:1 adaption, as I believe they'll add new content to whatever they'll be adapting from the manga.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:13 am

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:01 am
BagetaSama wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:48 pmIs there any kind of precedent for an anime becoming a manga adaptation halfway through it's run?
Super 2.0 will technically be a "new" anime. It will have been over 4 years since 1.0 ended, and it's (according to sources) getting a new artistic style thanks to Shintani being involved. I think there might be a chance it won't even be called Super. In terms of how close it'll be to the manga, I don't think it's be a 1:1 adaption, as I believe they'll add new content to whatever they'll be adapting from the manga.
There's no reason to change its name, it would be like changing My Hero Academia's name every time there's a new season. The narrator made it clear that the ToP is not the final arc of anything, it's just a brief parting, so it would still be called Super. It's the same story/show.

I hope it's not an adaptation of the manga since, frankly put, the Super manga sucks. So yeah, if we could avoid that it'd be great.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:50 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:13 am There's no reason to change its name, it would be like changing My Hero Academia's name every time there's a new season.
There was also no reason to change db to z, but they still did.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:10 am

My ideal version of DBS would be ignoring both continuities and making a new, shorter anime that is more faithful to Toriyama's outlines. No new transformations that Toriyama didn't come up with himself or extra padding that doesn't move the plot forward since they'll likely be ignored by him in his next outline anyway. Just adapting the outline and only adding what's necessary. I know this is unlikely but I've seen a few fan recuts and enjoyed them more than the actual anime or manga. If a fan could do that imagine what a professional company could achieve.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:13 am

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:50 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:13 am There's no reason to change its name, it would be like changing My Hero Academia's name every time there's a new season.
There was also no reason to change db to z, but they still did.
Then maybe they learned. It doesn't make sense to have Super end at the Tournament of Power arc, because the narrator said that it was just a brief parting before a new threat appeared. Broly is treated as a Super movie, a continuation of the anime after it left off in ep. 131. When the anime returns it might be called "Super 2" or something like that, but it would still be referred to as "Super". Not "Ultra", "Ultimate", or whatever new title people come up with. It's the same show, it just went on a hiatus.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:17 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:13 amThen maybe they learned.
They did learn, re-naming DB to Z resulted in one of, if not the most successful anime worldwide. They're not going to re-name Super for the fun of it, it'll be done for the same reasons DB was changed to Z, marketing. Can they get a bigger marketing budget ? will it result in more people getting on board ? If the answer is yes to both those questions, then it has a chance of being re-named. I do agree that Super will be kept in the title, so it could be as simple as Super 2, or as out there as ultimate Super.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:23 am

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:17 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:13 amThen maybe they learned.
They did learn, re-naming DB to Z resulted in one of, if not the most successful anime worldwide. They're not going to re-name Super for the fun of it, it'll be done for the same reasons DB was changed to Z, marketing. Can they get a bigger marketing budget ? will it result in more people getting on board ? If the answer is yes to both those questions, then it has a chance of being re-named. I do agree that Super will be kept in the title, so it could be as simple as Super 2, or as out there as ultimate Super.
Well wouldn't keeping the name "Super" be better for marketing reasons? Broly was the most successful Dragon Ball movie ever and it was called "Dragon Ball Super: Broly", so keeping the anime associated with the Broly movie would be better and more profitable, No?

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:31 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:23 amWell wouldn't keeping the name "Super" be better for marketing reasons? Broly was the most successful Dragon Ball movie ever and it was called "Dragon Ball Super: Broly", so keeping the anime associated with the Broly movie would be better and more profitable, No?
I don't think they'll drop Super from the title, just add something to it. I'll go as far as to say I'd bet against even that, and it'll just return as Super with EP 132, I just wouldn't be surprised if it got something added to the title. Personally, I hope it isn't anything more than a 2 and not something laughable like ultimate super, mega super, etc.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:40 am

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:31 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:23 amWell wouldn't keeping the name "Super" be better for marketing reasons? Broly was the most successful Dragon Ball movie ever and it was called "Dragon Ball Super: Broly", so keeping the anime associated with the Broly movie would be better and more profitable, No?
I don't think they'll drop Super from the title, just add something to it. I'll go as far as to say I'd bet against even that, and it'll just return as Super with EP 132, I just wouldn't be surprised if it got something added to the title. Personally, I hope it isn't anything more than a 2 and not something laughable like ultimate super, mega super, etc.
Yeah, those names sound cringe. "Dragon Ball Super" is way better than "Dragon Ball Ultra/Ultimate/Mega" in my opinion. Plus it's linked to the Super Dragon Balls, which play a key role in basically every arc of the show.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:15 am

This may sound like a joke but I wonder if they'll call it Super Z.

Especially as it comes bclose to intersecting back with end of Z.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:17 am

What sources?

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:11 am

sangofe wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:17 am
What sources?
Ajay and Geekdom.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:42 am

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:11 am
Matches Malone wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:01 am Super 2.0 will technically be a "new" anime. It will have been over 4 years since 1.0 ended, and it's (according to sources) getting a new artistic style thanks to Shintani being involved. I think there might be a chance it won't even be called Super. In terms of how close it'll be to the manga, I don't think it's be a 1:1 adaption, as I believe they'll add new content to whatever they'll be adapting from the manga.
What sources?
Ajay and Geekdom.
I think you might have to discard those old statements at this point, as circumstances have clearly changed (July 2019 was well over a year ago now, after all). I'm not saying that it certainly won't be the case anymore, but it's no longer a guarantee.
SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:13 am Not "Ultra", "Ultimate", or whatever new title people come up with.
ayy

By the way, there was a thread about the name of DBS Season 2 a few months back (here). Just mentioning it in case you want more people's perspectives.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:45 am

Alruneia wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:42 am
What sources?
Ajay and Geekdom.
I think you might have to discard those old statements at this point, as circumstances have clearly changed (July 2019 was well over a year ago now, after all). I'm not saying that it certainly won't be the case anymore, but it's no longer a guarantee.
SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:13 am Not "Ultra", "Ultimate", or whatever new title people come up with.
ayy

By the way, there was a thread about the name of DBS Season 2 a few months back (here). Just mentioning it in case you want more people's perspectives.
Lol sorry I didn't mean to insult you, but still Super is called like that because of the Super Dragon Balls. Picking another name would be completely random and unnecessary. If those balls were called Ultimate Dragon Balls instead, then I wouldn't care.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:06 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:45 am
Alruneia wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:42 am
Ajay and Geekdom.
ayy

Lol sorry I didn't mean to insult you, but still Super is called like that because of the Super Dragon Balls. Picking another name would be completely random and unnecessary. If those balls were called Ultimate Dragon Balls instead, then I wouldn't care.
Oh, don't worry, no offence taken. My DBU stuff isn't meant to be DBS Season 2, so what you're talking about doesn't quite apply to it. There is an "in-universe" reason why my DBU is called DBU, but I'm not gonna get into that here. I just found it funny that you picked that as one of your examples.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Post by CashmanX » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:54 pm

https://twitter.com/AnimeAjay/status/13 ... 5492167680

Well, we finally found out where Shintani's been this whole time!

I'll give you a hint; It starts with "Dragon".

:(
olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:32 am

CashmanX wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:54 pm https://twitter.com/AnimeAjay/status/13 ... 5492167680

Well, we finally found out where Shintani's been this whole time!

I'll give you a hint; It starts with "Dragon".

:(
And ends with Quest.
Why put money into something that brings money without effort?