"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:35 am

sangofe wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:32 amWhy put money into something that brings money without effort?
I've always been against this argument, but the more time goes by, the more I agree with it. Unlike other franchises, DB is at a point where it doesn't need anime to sell and be promoted through, it doesn't even need new content. The Moro arc has been going on for nearly 2 years, yet nothing in that arc has been used in other media yet. Does this mean we'll never get an anime adaption of what's being worked on in the manga ? I think we will eventually, as by not doing so will leave money on the table, but it won't be any time soon. I think for the next 3-5 years Toei will, and rightfully so, put those resources into IPs that need them, such as Dragon Quest, Digimon, etc. DB, unfortunately for us, doesn't need them currently.

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:50 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:35 am
sangofe wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:32 amWhy put money into something that brings money without effort?
I've always been against this argument, but the more time goes by, the more I agree with it. Unlike other franchises, DB is at a point where it doesn't need anime to sell and be promoted through, it doesn't even need new content. The Moro arc has been going on for nearly 2 years, yet nothing in that arc has been used in other media yet. Does this mean we'll never get an anime adaption of what's being worked on in the manga ? I think we will eventually, as by not doing so will leave money on the table, but it won't be any time soon. I think for the next 3-5 years Toei will, and rightfully so, put those resources into IPs that need them, such as Dragon Quest, Digimon, etc. DB, unfortunately for us, doesn't need them currently.
I do find this interesting, it is incredibly odd to me we havent seen even a figure/statue of Moro or seen him added to Xenoverse at least(Games like FighterZ i understand with the precision in each character, but Xenoverse is a bit more basic to add characters too). Obviously the anime isn't needed but i'm surprised we havent seen anything outside of custom work in other media, especially since now it's a given any appearance Moro makes will probably be final form as opposed to any other, more interesting form.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:16 am

Tne anime is needed. Characters and specific elements won't appear in games until their debut in an animated form (see the most recent case with Super Saiyan God Vegeta, that only started appearing in games and getting stuff after Dragon Ball Super Broly).

Moro, Merus and everything else that continues to be manga-only will continue to be ignored until/if they appear in the anime. That's a basic thing that has been going on since modern Dragon Ball started (probably it was like that even when the original series and manga were being released, considering the games have always used the anime colors and adapted the anime version of the events).
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:31 am

Grimlock wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:16 am Tne anime is needed. Characters and specific elements won't appear in games until their debut in an animated form (see the most recent case Super Saiyan God Vegeta, that only started appearing in games and getting stuff after Dragon Ball Super Broly).

Moro, Merus and everything else that continues to be manga-only will continue to be ignored until/if they appear in the anime. That's a basic thing that has been going on since modern Dragon Ball started (probably it was like that even when the original series and manga were being released, considering the games have always used the anime colors and adapted the anime version of the events).
I dont necessarily believe that's a requirement, that just tends to be the case when 90% of your content already exists and is the easiest to draw from, whilst newer content is ongoing and can head in a completely different direction. You have to remember the's games are being made after the series finished it's original run, so they will draw from that content first, super, whilst newer, doesn't have the mass appeal of Z so you focus on that second.

This also doesnt cover the quantity of characters who are added to games who have never appeared in any anime format of DB, that would imply they can never be added because they weren't in the anime. Nor does it cover characters who have existed for forty years who are only getting their first playable appearance now.

Its not that the anime is required, its that you have to tackle the main bulk of work first. It just happens that adding newer characters coincides with that timing. Correlation =/= causation.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:31 am

I'm pretty sure all Dragon Ball videogames (at least all modern ones like Xenoverse 2 and Fighterz) use exclusively the anime version of existing characters (so not counting Mira, Towa, Fu, etc.), because they are much more popular and iconic. So for example Fused Zamasu in Fighterz doesn't use katchin blocks or dimensional portals, but the Halo and all related techniques (like Blades of Judgement). So maybe these videogames are just waiting for an anime adaptation of the Moro arc, since I'm sure the anime will change or give Moro a lot of new techniques.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:10 pm

JewyB wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:31 amI dont necessarily believe that's a requirement, (...). You have to remember the's games are being made after the series finished it's original run.
Indeed it isn't a requirement/law they are bound to follow. It's just how things are/work. There have been a few exceptions, kid Goku from Dragon Ball Minus appeared in Dragon Ball Heroes the same year the chapter was released. Gine appeared in Extreme Butoden one year later (albeit with wrong colors, which I think they must have not known what colors her armor would be at that time).

And no, there have been Dragon Ball games since the beginning. I believe the very first one is "Dragon Ball: Dragon Daihikyou" released in September, 1986.
JewyB wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:31 amThis also doesnt cover the quantity of characters who are added to games who have never appeared in any anime format of DB, that would imply they can never be added because they weren't in the anime. Nor does it cover characters who have existed for forty years who are only getting their first playable appearance now.
It's related, but still a different subject. In those circumstances, I think it's a conscious decision made by the developers. They are quick to add the more popular ones, and take forever to add the least popular ones. It's not like there is a demand for, like, the Para Para Brothers from Dragon Ball GT to appear in games. They were recently added in Dragon Ball Heroes, but who really cares, ask for or remembers them?

As for "characters who never appeared in anime format", well, I believe you're referring to characters who debut in games. Again, different situation, you can't really compare.

~ Day of the Machines ~

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:17 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:10 pm Indeed it isn't a requirement/law they are bound to follow. It's just how things are/work. There have been a few exceptions, kid Goku from Dragon Ball Minus appeared in Dragon Ball Heroes the same year the chapter was released. Gine appeared in Extreme Butoden one year later (albeit with wrong colors, which I think they must have not known what colors her armor would be at that time).

And no, there have been Dragon Ball games since the beginning. I believe the very first one is "Dragon Ball: Dragon Daihikyou" released in September, 1986.
I never once said that there weren't older games, i was talking about the modern games(xenoverse, heroes and fighterz), since this was stated to be a rule for "modern dragonball", and its a silly assumption to make, its basically saying "If the anime doesn't come back, we will never see Moro or Merus in a game", which is just a ridiculous statement to assume.

Also, by referencing exceptions, you're proving its not something they are required to follow.
Grimlock wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:10 pm It's related, but still a different subject. In those circumstances, I believe it's a conscious decision made by the developers. They are quick to add the more popular ones, and take forever to add the least popular ones. It's not like there is a demand for, like, the Para Para Brothers from Dragon Ball GT to appear in games. They were recently added in Dragon Ball Heroes, but who really cares, ask for or remembers them?

As for "characters who never appeared in anime format", well, I believe you're referring to characters who debut in games. Again, different situation, you can't really compare.
Apart from the fact that roshi made it into FighterZ as his second videogame appearance(not counting evolution) and Roshi is an immensely popular character.

Also, any comparison is possible, you have made two statements about character being added to the games who werent in anime and then said "they don't count because they dont follow the rule i'm saying exists", which if that's the way this discussion is being had, then allow me to point out that Gine and Kid Goku were added to the games before an anime appearance and anything else is just an exception and cant be used to prove your rule.

Please debate taking all things into account as opposed to only those that support your opinion.

Either way this is off topic so i wont be discussing it any further unless i'm in a videogame thread.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:22 pm

Talk about misunderstanding and twisting my words of what I actually said. :roll: Anyway, have it your way.

~ Day of the Machines ~

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:36 pm

If the Moro arc will be just a self contained episode, high chances they will not produce extra media from it.
And so far it is.

My sentiment is that TOEI simply allowed Toyo to continue "if he does like for", and caring quite less for the produced material, with some given points (one of it is to leave the main continuity untouched).
So they have a cheap way to keep the thing going, but "the real thing" will come out from DragonBall Room, and probably Toyo work will be ignored. It wasn'0t planned to boost money into that.
We don't even known if they have any plan to make something in the Super continuity at all, maybe next year they will start Dragonball ZZ production and goodbye gods and hakaishin.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:23 am

ChronoTwigger wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:36 pm If the Moro arc will be just a self contained episode...
Goku mastered UI here. I don't see how that counts as a self contained story. I think it's more of "I don't like it, so surely it'll be ignored", which is just wishful thinking.

FlpShimizu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FlpShimizu » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:19 am

Matches Malone wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:23 am
ChronoTwigger wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:36 pm If the Moro arc will be just a self contained episode...
Goku mastered UI here. I don't see how that counts as a self contained story. I think it's more of "I don't like it, so surely it'll be ignored", which is just wishful thinking.
I get this impression as well, people are willing to dismiss the manga and pretend it's smaller than it really is just because they can't accept things changing. Dragon Ball is evolving boys, get over it.
"I'm never fighting a gag manga character again!"

BagetaSama
Beyond Newbie

Post by BagetaSama » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:08 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:16 am Tne anime is needed. Characters and specific elements won't appear in games until their debut in an animated form (see the most recent case with Super Saiyan God Vegeta, that only started appearing in games and getting stuff after Dragon Ball Super Broly).

I absolutely fucking cannot wait to see this arc in Anime form. It will be so awesome

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:23 pm

Yeah, kind of. If Moro saga gets animated, we will see more of Dai Kaioshin and stuff, which is great, as well as Dragon Ball Online's Yadorat will also make an appearance, also great. And then Moro, Merus and other characters will start appearing in games and get merchandising for sure.

However, other than those, it'll be more of the same considering Moro himself isn't really a great villain. He could've been Dragon Ball's Unicron/Galactus but they really dropped the ball on that. And from what I've seen Moro saga is just another Movie 15 rehash where characters get together just to fight but still depend on Goku and Vegeta in the end. We aren't losing much if it stays in the manga.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:51 pm

So, I heard rumors about a new movie coming up, guess they are fake... otherwise this thread would be on fire these days.

Rebel Instinct wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:00 pm
Noah wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:12 pm Mate, I think you should just give up. I don't think Toei has any plans for a new Dragon Ball animated series for the next 5 years. Why? They're profiting the same much without one.

So be glad we still have things like Heroes short clips and the Moro side-story arc to entertain ourselves.
Why do I get the distinct impression that the only reason you bothered to comment was to say the bolded? The Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc is a part of the mainline canonical Dragon Ball story - period. It isn't a "side-story", it isn't "non-canon", it isn't "fanfiction" and no amount of pretending to the contrary will change that fact.

Regardless of your personal intent (as if it weren't abundantly obvious, lumping it in with Heroes), adding in "cute" little lines like the one highlighted above are neither clever nor useful.
Reaching a little bit, eh?

Pardon, but none of your babbling made any sense as I could only read as a rant from a passionate fan of the manga.

You consider it part of the finished original manga canon? That's fine, that are people who also consider GT part of the main storyline :)
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:02 am

For such a legit canonical non side-story arc, the amount of (lack of) merch it gets can really make you wonder, considering the arc's been around for over 2 years.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:20 am

mute_proxy wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:02 am For such a legit canonical non side-story arc, the amount of (lack of) merch it gets can really make you wonder, considering the arc's been around for over 2 years.
That's because it hasn't been animated, as the same thing happened with SsjG Vegeta. We didn't get anything for him until Broly, despite being in the manga for 2 years at that point.

FlpShimizu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FlpShimizu » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:48 pm

Because it's so normal to make merch from black and white 2D panels, an industry norm for sure. Surely it isn't your blind distaste for the manga.
"I'm never fighting a gag manga character again!"

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:23 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:20 am That's because it hasn't been animated, as the same thing happened with SsjG Vegeta. We didn't get anything for him until Broly, despite being in the manga for 2 years at that point.
Makes you question the manga's legitimacy doesn't it

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:47 pm

mute_proxy wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:23 pmMakes you question the manga's legitimacy doesn't it
No, because that's how a lot of anime/manga work. You don't start seeing merchandise for arcs until the material has been animated, at least when it comes to Shonen.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:56 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:31 am I'm pretty sure all Dragon Ball videogames (at least all modern ones like Xenoverse 2 and Fighterz) use exclusively the anime version of existing characters (so not counting Mira, Towa, Fu, etc.), because they are much more popular and iconic. So for example Fused Zamasu in Fighterz doesn't use katchin blocks or dimensional portals, but the Halo and all related techniques (like Blades of Judgement). So maybe these videogames are just waiting for an anime adaptation of the Moro arc, since I'm sure the anime will change or give Moro a lot of new techniques.
In Dokkan Battle, AGL Fused Zamasu uses the dimensional portals from the manga for his Super Attack.