"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1116
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:12 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:12 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:57 pm
Grimlock wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:05 am
And from what I've seen, if you say something about it, some might even curse your parents.
Yeah. Especially Geekdom.

https://twitter.com/__Booyah_/status/13 ... 0873280515

This is a case of advanced mental instabillability what i witness here.
Even if you are driven in a corner during a discussion, it can be tough, but you should always try to to retain yourself to a certain level.

User avatar
GodVegetto91
I Live Here
Posts: 2732
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:49 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by GodVegetto91 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:29 pm

Mister_Popo wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:12 pm
IntangibleFancy wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:57 pm
Grimlock wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:05 am
And from what I've seen, if you say something about it, some might even curse your parents.
Yeah. Especially Geekdom.

https://twitter.com/__Booyah_/status/13 ... 0873280515

This is a case of advanced mental instabillability what i witness here.
Even if you are driven in a corner during a discussion, it can be tough, but you should always try to to retain yourself to a certain level.
It doesn’t surprise me that he would stoop this low. He has even doxxed someone on Twitter before.. The absolute lowest thing that one can ever do..
“The fool looks for God outside him. The wise understands that God is within him.”

User avatar
IntangibleFancy
Regular
Posts: 515
Joined: Mon May 08, 2017 2:43 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by IntangibleFancy » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:23 pm

How long until they reveal whether or not Dragon Ball gets a spot in Jump Festa?

Was what happened last year misleading or did people just read too much into it?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Matches Malone
Banned
Posts: 3308
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:35 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:23 pm
Was what happened last year misleading or did people just read too much into it?
It was definitely misleading, as if I remember correctly, Horikawa himself was even teasing some announcement.

User avatar
Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1116
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:12 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:27 am

Matches Malone wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:35 pm
IntangibleFancy wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:23 pm
Was what happened last year misleading or did people just read too much into it?
It was definitely misleading, as if I remember correctly, Horikawa himself was even teasing some announcement.




Horikawa said "it's a long time ago', with Vegeta's voice on social media
Everyone thought he was referring to a new animated product.
DB also got a special stage 'concerning' new DB related products.

A lot of people, understandably, thought something were to be announced.

Horikawa eventually did a voice-over for an existing DB-scene.
Head of DB Room Ioyku came forward and did a speech, but he basically only repeated a new movie was in the works.

They basically had the fandom by the balls back then.

Matches Malone
Banned
Posts: 3308
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:05 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:20 am
THIS is supposed to represent the Dragon Ball Community???! Someone please get this man out of his influential position!
I agree with everyone who say he should handle these situations better, but I also understand why he doesn't. It's one thing to ignore people every one and awhile, but when you're constantly being attacked, you're eventually going to stop caring and just let people have it. Does he represent the DB community ? unfortunately not, as he actually puts effort and thought into (most of) his work. A good number of DB youtubers I've (unfortunately) come across just laugh and scream for no reason with nothing of actual substance.

User avatar
Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1116
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:12 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:02 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:05 pm
GodVegetto91 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:20 am
THIS is supposed to represent the Dragon Ball Community???! Someone please get this man out of his influential position!
I agree with everyone who say he should handle these situations better, but I also understand why he doesn't. It's one thing to ignore people every one and awhile, but when you're constantly being attacked, you're eventually going to stop caring and just let people have it. Does he represent the DB community ? unfortunately not, as he actually puts effort and thought into (most of) his work. A good number of DB youtubers I've (unfortunately) come across just laugh and scream for no reason with nothing of actual substance.


I don't think there is anything wrong with Youtube-vids that actually contain an intresting review, theory, reflection ... that is worthwhile investing your time in to watch it. I have seen tons of irelevant or simply bad stuff on Youtube, but i have also seen some intresting content that actually surprised me in a positive way and gave new insights. If someone works for it and the result is pleasing, there is nothing wrong with using catchy phrases to lure people in to watch. It happens on every market.

The problem does not lie with the concept, it's the content that's being released sometimes.
More specifically concerning the return of the anime.
A lot of people still want the anime to return.
The community has recently dealt with numerous false claims or insinuations in that regard that later on prove to be time and again incorrect.
Things are being sought and posted in order to relate it with a possible return of the anime.
Because they know a lot of fans will click and watch it anyway. This while often there is no real news.

It's the irelevant content that often creates frustration and disappointment with people.
Not the catchy phrases as such or Youtubers making money with it.

User avatar
GodVegetto91
I Live Here
Posts: 2732
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:49 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:25 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:05 pm
GodVegetto91 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:20 am
THIS is supposed to represent the Dragon Ball Community???! Someone please get this man out of his influential position!
I agree with everyone who say he should handle these situations better, but I also understand why he doesn't. It's one thing to ignore people every one and awhile, but when you're constantly being attacked, you're eventually going to stop caring and just let people have it. Does he represent the DB community ? unfortunately not, as he actually puts effort and thought into (most of) his work. A good number of DB youtubers I've (unfortunately) come across just laugh and scream for no reason with nothing of actual substance.
This is a person that acts like a giant douch often for no good reason at all to others on Twitter. I’ve seen this time and time again. If someone is being nice to you by asking a question or starting up a nice conversation in good faith, then you shouldn’t act like a dick towards them. And if you even so much as criticize him (for anything at all) on twitter, then you are instantly blocked by him. (Permanently)! So no. I have no sympathy for such a person. He also shadowbans people’s comments under his YouTube videos. So no free speech there either. Geekdom is simply bad news. Plain and simple.
“The fool looks for God outside him. The wise understands that God is within him.”

User avatar
Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 457
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:37 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Psajdak » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:30 pm

So, what should be next?

Continuation?

Reboot?

Spin-off?

Matches Malone
Banned
Posts: 3308
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:11 am

Psajdak wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:30 pm
So, what should be next?

Continuation?

Reboot?

Spin-off?
When DB returns it'll definitely pick up where Broly left off, so a continuation. Personally, I'd prefer a reboot set after EOZ.

User avatar
SupremeKai25
I Live Here
Posts: 2759
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:40 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:45 am

Psajdak wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:30 pm
So, what should be next?

Continuation?

Reboot?

Spin-off?
Why would there be a reboot? Contrary to popular belief on this forum (funny how a Dragon Ball forum can be so hateful of an official Dragon Ball product), Super was actually very popular and beloved and made Toei ton of cash. There's literally no reason to reboot it.

There's no reason to do a spin-off either. The ToP arc ends with "This is just a brief parting, but a new terrible threat is soon to appear (Broly). Until next time!", so when the anime returns, it will tell the events of the Broly arc -OR- just start with the Moro arc.
I've taken Godhood to a new level. Divinity made perfect. With a body that befits a Kai... One that is INVINCIBLE!

User avatar
Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 457
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:37 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Psajdak » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:07 am

SupremeKai25 wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:45 am
Why would there be a reboot?
How about because characters have become so ridiculously powerful that becoming even stronger is at this point just weird, and even new antagonists can't make much more sense.

User avatar
SupremeKai25
I Live Here
Posts: 2759
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:40 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:20 am

Psajdak wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:07 am
SupremeKai25 wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:45 am
Why would there be a reboot?
How about because characters have become so ridiculously powerful that becoming even stronger is at this point just weird, and even new antagonists can't make much more sense.
Okay so:

1) Define "ridiculously powerful". Hint: You can't, because it's subjective. To you the characters in Super are ridiculously powerful, to me the characters in Z are ridiculously powerful. Saiyan arc Vegeta is fodder and he could casually blow up one planet. Tell me, how many anime have planet busters AT THE BEGINNING OF THE SERIES? So then should Toriyama have rebooted the show after the Saiyan arc?

2) How do you know that a reboot wouldn't make the same "mistake"? This is Dragon Ball, it's a franchise known for doubling down on the power levels with each new arc. Power creep is a fundamental aspect of Dragon Ball as a franchise.

3) If you reboot a franchise, it's not for story reasons. There's literally no reason to reboot modern Dragon Ball just because of the "S T O R Y" not making much sense. Super is very successful financially, so if you were the director of Toei, why would you want to reboot it? It makes no sense, especially since countless people (myself included) have grown very attached to the new heroes or villains introduced in Super. You're basically saying that Toei should throw in the bin everything they've created in the last 7 years.

Plus Super is an official Dragon Ball product with supervision from Toriyama himself (he helped Toei with some scripts in the past, he also complained about issues he had with the show, so clearly he cares about the anime). It makes no sense to throw away the Toriyama name attached to Super just to reboot the series and go separate ways with Toriyama.
I've taken Godhood to a new level. Divinity made perfect. With a body that befits a Kai... One that is INVINCIBLE!

Matches Malone
Banned
Posts: 3308
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:57 am

SupremeKai25 wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:45 am
Funny how a Dragon Ball forum can be so hateful of an official Dragon Ball product.
Simple, not everyone's going to be a fanboy of everything that has the franchise's name on it.
SupremeKai25 wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:20 am
Super is an official Dragon Ball product with supervision from Toriyama himself.
Pretty much the only reason it's gotten as far as it has.

User avatar
FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5448
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:07 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:08 am

Talking about reboot, I doubt this franchise won't have it one day.

Less popular series get one and with Toriyama still adding new things and retcon others, that may happen in the future. If it will have competent staff behind it or we all will by alive by then, it's another thing.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

User avatar
SupremeKai25
I Live Here
Posts: 2759
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:40 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:43 am

Matches Malone wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:57 am
SupremeKai25 wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:45 am
Funny how a Dragon Ball forum can be so hateful of an official Dragon Ball product.
Simple, not everyone's going to be a fanboy of everything that has the franchise's name on it.
Not being hateful doesn't mean being a fanboy.
Pretty much the only reason it's gotten as far as it has.
See, this is what I'm talking about. You basically just said "Super is complete garbage, the only reason why it's popular is because of Toriyama's name". That's being hateful.

Let alone the fact that that argument can be made for literally any sequel in existence. Of course having the creator of the franchise associated with it will help boost popularity, it doesn't mean anything.
FortuneSSJ wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:08 am
Talking about reboot, I doubt this franchise won't have it one day.

Less popular series get one and with Toriyama still adding new things and retcon others, that may happen in the future. If it will have competent staff behind it or we all will by alive by then, it's another thing.
Toriyama will keep retconning things, that's nothing new, but a reboot is also something else entirely. It's much more drastic. A reboot literally means STARTING FROM 0 again. Battle of Gods, Resurrection of F, the two universal tournaments, the Zamasu arc, the Broly movie, the Moro arc... all gone. This would be a very stupid decision, especially since, as I was saying, these stories are very iconic and popular. Just think of the current mainstream Dragon Ball videogames, and how many Super characters are in it.
I've taken Godhood to a new level. Divinity made perfect. With a body that befits a Kai... One that is INVINCIBLE!

User avatar
Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1116
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:12 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:05 am

Matches Malone wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:57 am
SupremeKai25 wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:45 am
Funny how a Dragon Ball forum can be so hateful of an official Dragon Ball product.
Simple, not everyone's going to be a fanboy of everything that has the franchise's name on it.
SupremeKai25 wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:20 am
Super is an official Dragon Ball product with supervision from Toriyama himself.
Pretty much the only reason it's gotten as far as it has.


No matter what we might think about it, in Japan they'll do their own thing anyway.
It will be stuffed through our throats.
If your house is on fire, no matter how painful it is to see, you'll still keep watching.

We can criticize as much as we want, but at the end we still have to cope with the new content as presented.
Although not perfect, we might still try to get the best out of it.

I have learned to cope with this by lowering my standards a little bit (much).
I lowered my standard after a bad first part of the Super anime.
Thereafter the second part got better.
The writing and definitely the animation took steps forward, although the quality still wasn't consistent at times.
Those two factors made me appreciate the content more.
Same with the Moro arc in the manga. I lowered my standards a bit after a disappointing mid part of the arc, and now i am appreciating the ending more because it did somehow improve in my opinion.

I however don't expect other people to be able or wanting to lower their standards.
I am not going to defend the franchise, every man has to decide in his own right what he makes of it.
I can often understand the criticism. And the board is there to criticize and ventilate.
But 'pure negativity' and 'hating everything because TOEI and / or Toyotaro are incompentent' does not bring us anywhere either.

Matches Malone
Banned
Posts: 3308
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:46 am

SupremeKai25 wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:43 am
You basically just said "Super is complete garbage, the only reason why it's popular is because of Toriyama's name". That's being hateful.

A reboot literally means STARTING FROM 0 again. Battle of Gods, Resurrection of F, the two universal tournaments, the Zamasu arc, the Broly movie, the Moro arc... all gone.
I didn't say that, although I guess I should've been more clear with my wording. Before I continue, let me say that I consider the BOG movie and Zamasu to be by far among the best things in the franchise, not just this revival, so I don't "hate" everything post 1997. What I originally meant is that modern DB gets away with far more than it would've had Toriyama's name not bee attached to it.

They did that with GT, so it's not out of the realm of possibilities. If it were to be done, it won't be due to a lack of success, but rather Super simply making it difficult to continue within its established status quo. Also worth mentioning is that a "reboot" could happen at the end of Super, where someone like the Grand Priest rewinds time to before Beerus met Goku, making Super's events canon and not canon at the same time.
Mister_Popo wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:05 am
'pure negativity' and 'hating everything because TOEI and / or Toyotaro are incompentent' does not bring us anywhere either.
I understand that I can come off as being too harsh sometimes, but that's only because I love this franchise so much and have high expectations for it.

User avatar
Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1116
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:12 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:46 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:46 am


I understand that I can come off as being too harsh sometimes, but that's only because I love this franchise so much and have high expectations for it.

I wasn't referring specifically to you.
Sometimes you even try to see the positive side of things. :thumbup:

We should never lower our standards about 'what DB should be'.
It should be as good as it can, storywise and animation wise.
I agree on that.

I was mere referring to 'standards about what to expect'.
Sometimes it just helps to wait and see what happens without high expectations, and if it's good after all, it's a windfall.

User avatar
Tai Lung
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1682
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:38 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:19 am

Psajdak wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:07 am
SupremeKai25 wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:45 am
Why would there be a reboot?
How about because characters have become so ridiculously powerful that becoming even stronger is at this point just weird, and even new antagonists can't make much more sense.
They are not going to leave a lot of possibilities creating other universes and new characters that have been popular only to give them a series with uub that really does not contribute anything and there is hardly anyone who asks for your participation
Matches Malone wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:57 am
SupremeKai25 wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:45 am
Funny how a Dragon Ball forum can be so hateful of an official Dragon Ball product.
Simple, not everyone's going to be a fanboy of everything that has the franchise's name on it.
Anyway, you like GT, it really is a matter of opinions

Post Reply