"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:49 pm

ZombieVito wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:04 pm
Grimlock wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:40 pm
ZombieVito wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:49 pmMistake? Mistake would be to omit them.

I want a format to have the whole Super story on it. They can also add the cut stuff from Broly.
But that's bad, having the same "story" being retold isn't doing any favor. If only they were competent enough to improve upon the original material, then I guess it could be tolerable, but we have not one, but two prior evidences that this isn't the case. And then there is the animation department, even I who don't care about it can't help but feel bothered by the ugliness that is to look at Dragon Ball Super. It will already be a waste of everybody's time if the series comes back and it doesn't have the same quality animation as Dragon Quest (why would we want a retelling if it fails in all departments? Just for the sake of having the whole "story" in it? Not worth to me). And nothing's omitted, you wanna know what happened? Just go and watch the movies.

Well, for now we can only hope for the best, despite everything...
Both retellings have a better story than the movies. The RoF arc actually fixed errors from it's movie counterpart.

I couldn't care less about animation. Give me the whole story in the anime.
RoF is already not a good movie, yet the anime somehow managed to make it even worse with even uglier art lmao (while also doing so with BoG, which was a good movie)

If they do, retell Broly, how Ufotable did it with the Demon Slayer movie (basically re-airing the movie but cut-up in/slightly adapted to episodic length parts with some new cuts, plus a new opening and 1 ep of original material at the start to set up & supplement the movie): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5KBgHIxtDA

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:21 pm

Broly had a 3 hour screenplay but never got an extended cut (both BoG and RoF had extended versions). Maybe they’ll do what Ufotable did with Mugen Train and chop up the film into episodes while also adding new scenes?

jjbgood
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jjbgood » Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:48 pm

I am sure the anime comes back this year or next. I also think they will try to show the episodes worldwide asap. Why? Because i kinda have the feeling the german publisher has informations about a upcoming show and is already preparing for it by recruiting the voice actors, while they are dubbing the Super Hero movie (wich they currently do or have done already - as the german bulma voice stated). It feels like they will try to mimik the weekly release, near to the japanese broadcast, with already dubbed episodes... but yes okay, thats just my gut feeling.

Anyway... i hope they do this:

- Broly Retelling with new scenes (based on the 3 hours script Toriyama wrote. And we know he does not write action sequences, so there must be a lot of story taken out)
- Moro Arc
- Granolah Arc
- Super Hero Retelling (Could be a 3-4 Episodes Filler Arc)
- End of Z (Retelling)
- Going Forward (Probably new Story Arc of the Manga)

With the Shintani character designs and with talents like Takahashi and Shida. Also hopefully more episodes from Ishitani.
If they have more preparation time and use footage of the Broly Movie in the first arc, i think it could be a really good start.

But yes, i admit, by now its only me dreaming about the perfect production... but i think the twitter account is somewhat reliable and i dont think they will go full CGI with this... but... then again... Toriyama loved the CGI... so... :crazy:
HOST AND FOUNDER OF THE GERMAN DRAGON BALL PODCAST "KAMEHAMEHA".
ADVISOR FOR THE GERMAN DUB OF DRAGON BALL SUPER.
FAN FOR OVER 20 YEARS.
https://kame-hame-ha.de/

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:22 pm

https://mobile.twitter.com/MrKaytos/sta ... f_3O4qAAAA

Does anyone know this guy? I checked Geekdom and he shared this comment. I remember it being explained on here that the anime studios can't produce anything without Shuiesha approval so this could be confirmation if it's true.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:42 pm

ZombieVito wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:04 pmBoth retellings have a better story than the movies. The RoF arc actually fixed errors from it's movie counterpart.
I fail to see how Piccolo still rushing towards Beerus in the anime makes it better, considering he figured who Kaioshin of East was, and surprisingly enough, Dende figured Beerus is a god. If anything, it brought a new error. I also fail to see how using filler stuff like Ginyu makes it better. Just a couple of examples amidst a myriad of questionable decisions, off the top of my head, that the retellings should have improved or avoided. But to each their own, I guess.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:35 pm

Grimlock wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:42 pm
ZombieVito wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:04 pmBoth retellings have a better story than the movies. The RoF arc actually fixed errors from it's movie counterpart.
I fail to see how Piccolo still rushing towards Beerus in the anime makes it better, considering he figured who Kaioshin of East was, and surprisingly enough, Dende figured Beerus is a god. If anything, it brought a new error. I also fail to see how using filler stuff like Ginyu makes it better, but to each their own, I guess. Just a couple of examples amidst a myriad of questionable decisions, off the top of my head, that the retellings should have improved or avoided.
Piccolo didn't figure out who Shin was. Kibito told him.

The RoF arc fixed a lot of stuff:

1) The wishes Shenron can grant were done correctly. 3 instead of 1.
2) Removed the 1.3 million line from Freeza.
3) Explained why Boo wasn't there.
4) Included Goten and Trunks since it made no sense for them to not go after sensing Freeza's Ki.
5) The army fight makes more sense. In the movie not only does Krillin need saving but they all eat a Senzu after fighting the army.
6) Sorbet hurts base Goku instead of SSB Goku. This is still iffy but it's at least better than the movie.

And also all the extra stuff it did to better explain things like how Freeza trained by torturing Tagoma or how Goku and Vegeta trained to achieve SSB. Also, yeah, Ginyu coming back was awesome to me. Vegeta finally got a full house.

Nevaeh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nevaeh » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:23 am

Oh look, it's the annual "the anime is coming back" rumor :yawn:

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:46 am

Nevaeh wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:23 am Oh look, it's the annual "the anime is coming back" rumor :yawn:
This one makes more sense because something has to air after Digimon which is ending in a few months, and DBS seems like a good fit.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:35 am

I'm just super interested to see if the anime includes the manga arcs if this rumour is indeed true. Hopefully we finally see the canon/different timeline shit dying down a bit after, but no matter which way it goes some people won't be happy. 🤷‍♂️

EGonzo
Beyond Newbie

Post by EGonzo » Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:21 pm

Sora Saiyan wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:35 am I'm just super interested to see if the anime includes the manga arcs if this rumour is indeed true. Hopefully we finally see the canon/different timeline shit dying down a bit after, but no matter which way it goes some people won't be happy. 🤷‍♂️
I'd rather we get the anime's own take on Toriyama's outline like we had before. We get two shows for the price of one (or three shows with the movies).
Sure, I won't enjoy re-enlisting for the anime/manga war, but it's a small price to pay

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:49 pm

EGonzo wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:21 pm
Sora Saiyan wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:35 am I'm just super interested to see if the anime includes the manga arcs if this rumour is indeed true. Hopefully we finally see the canon/different timeline shit dying down a bit after, but no matter which way it goes some people won't be happy. 🤷‍♂️
I'd rather we get the anime's own take on Toriyama's outline like we had before. We get two shows for the price of one (or three shows with the movies).
Sure, I won't enjoy re-enlisting for the anime/manga war, but it's a small price to pay
Well, if it's true that Shueisha stopped Toei in bringing back Super earlier, then I kinda doubt that.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:02 am

They should retell Broly.

See the problem with the story these days is that it crosses different media. Were all hardcore fans so it's not a problem for us but if you are a casual fan and you want to follow the story you'd have to watch the Dragon Ball Super anime, switch to reading the manga from chapter 42 onwards and then watch a movie. That's confusing.

You can't just read the manga because it rushed through Beerus and completely slipped Golden Frieza and Broly so you'd have need to watch the movies whilst going through the manga.

The movies obviously skip over large parts of the story also like the referred to Tournament of Power.

The anime has the chance to be the only one that tells the whole story from Beerus to Cell Max in one intact go.

Obviously the Broly arc would not be animated as well as the movie but I'd still rather it be done just so it's altogether.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:35 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:02 am They should retell Broly.

See the problem with the story these days is that it crosses different media. Were all hardcore fans so it's not a problem for us but if you are a casual fan and you want to follow the story you'd have to watch the Dragon Ball Super anime, switch to reading the manga from chapter 42 onwards and then watch a movie. That's confusing.

You can't just read the manga because it rushed through Beerus and completely slipped Golden Frieza and Broly so you'd have need to watch the movies whilst going through the manga.

The movies obviously skip over large parts of the story also like the referred to Tournament of Power.

The anime has the chance to be the only one that tells the whole story from Beerus to Cell Max in one intact go.

Obviously the Broly arc would not be animated as well as the movie but I'd still rather it be done just so it's altogether.
I'm pretty sure even casual fans have seen the movie, they even broadcast it on TV so everyone has had a chance to watch it.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:53 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:35 pmI'm pretty sure even casual fans have seen the movie, they even broadcast it on TV so everyone has had a chance to watch it.
Maybe but not always and what of fans in the future? What if they had never retold Battle of Gods and Resurrection F?

Before it was simple enough you watch Dragon Ball and then Dragon Ball Z.

Except then after that you'd have had to watch Dragon Ball Z movies #14 and #15 specifically, not the previous thirteen movies. Then watch a Dragon Ball Super series. Then back to a movie with Broly. Then back to the series with Dragon Ball Super 2 and then maybe back to another movie again?

They may as well just keep everything together. It's a lot easier to follow.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:08 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:02 amObviously the Broly arc would not be animated as well as the movie but I'd still rather it be done just so it's altogether.
If they're retelling Broly they could recycle the fight sequences from the movie, assuming Shintani returns so it can be kept consistent with whatever else is newly animated. The Resurrection F arc lifted footage straight from the movie, so there's already a precedent. The problem with adapting movies with such a heavy emphasis on action is the animation will never look as good with a TV budget, and a reanimated Gogeta Blue vs Broly is doomed to fail because the movie version was such a spectacle. Slice-of-life sequences by comparison can be redone without taking such a sharp drop in quality.

Id also argue when we get to Super Hero a potential retelling would do wonders for it, as those that don't like the movies CG will have a 2D version to enjoy.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:27 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:08 pm Id also argue when we get to Super Hero a potential retelling would do wonders for it, as those that don't like the movies CG will have a 2D version to enjoy.
Unless they make Super 2.0 3D, which is a very good possibility.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:46 pm

Skar wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:22 pm https://mobile.twitter.com/MrKaytos/sta ... f_3O4qAAAA

Does anyone know this guy? I checked Geekdom and he shared this comment. I remember it being explained on here that the anime studios can't produce anything without Shuiesha approval so this could be confirmation if it's true.
I think he has an account here and was one of the few people saying DBS anime would be over, even though most people did not believe him because it was making a lot of money. Turns out he was right. It's also true Toei answers to Shueisha and any project must be approved by them first.

Now that particular statement about Shueisha tell them to wait for more manga content, I don't know if it's true. There was never confirmation about that so far.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Low Tone G » Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:47 am

My opinion about the rumor:

1. It can be true, but I'm not sure if it'd be good to bring it back this soon. It's a very high chance they will commit that same mistake. Two movies, then producing a series this soon is very dangerous.

2. I think they commited the terrible mistake to retell the first two movies in the anime format, making the entire plot worse by result. Now they are pretty much under the same obligation with Broly and Super Hero. In my view, they should have done some slice of life episodes after the events of the Majin Buu saga, then a single recap episode for the events of the B.O.G. movie, then the exact same filler episodes leading to the R.o.F. events, then another recap episode. Then the series could have continued just like it did.

3. I'm not sure if they can or should squeeze both the anime and manga continuities into one anime series. They made a serious mistake to place the Super Hero movie's events too long after the Broly events. That 2 or so years skip was too much. Going by the Super's plot pacing one year is pretty much very long time for keeping Goku and Vegeta down and continue to evolve. The manga is on point with this one, having Goku and Vegeta having two regular new powers. The Super Hero movie made them look like they are not much different than their T.O.P selves.

4. I appreciate they finally made Trunks and Goten look older, but the time placement of the Super Hero is still quite off, if it was intented to be direct continuation of the Broly movie. Knowing full well that the manga is still running on a monthly schedule, they should have place it only weeks or 1-2 months after the Broly movie, not 2 years.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:39 pm

The Moro saga will probably take a year or two to be finished given how long it was.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:45 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:39 pm The Moro saga will probably take a year or two to be finished given how long it was.
Two years is way too much. I give it 7 to 8 months.