"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Black_Liger » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:37 pm

I also support newly orchestrated Kikuchi soundtrack!.

I mean, they did it with Evangelion, they can do it with db too it would be amazing.

I mean they took this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIZXwy9Z5MU

And rearranged it into this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fMSpJXOEYU

While still keeping the core feeling the same. I want this to happen. But I'd get Takaki to do the reorchestration work tho... (or Shiroh Sagisu)
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:41 pm

If Goku and Vegeta are too old, the writers could just have them die, put a halo above their head and call it a day. They can keep their bodies and can move freely between the living and dead realms after all.

And there will still be suspense in the story, if not even MORE suspense, because being killed while you're dead means you are erased from existence in a way that even the Dragon Balls can't resurrect you.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:41 pm

I'm honestly numb to this. I cannot believe this is happening. I don't think it'll actually hit me until we get a character design or some plot details. I'm going to lose it when the first trailer hits. If FUNimation simulcasts this, I swear I'll subscribe to that service.

Scott
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scott » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:44 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
Scott wrote:How long did it take him to get back to Earth after the fight on Namek ?
The fight with Freeza was on December 25th, AGE 762 and the fight with Mecha Freeza was in August of 764. So almost 2 years.
Thanks.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:49 pm

batistabus wrote:I'm honestly numb to this. I cannot believe this is happening. I don't think it'll actually hit me until we get a character design or some plot details. I'm going to lose it when the first trailer hits. If FUNimation simulcasts this, I swear I'll subscribe to that service.
Funimation will almost definitely simulcast it. Dragon Ball is their cash cow and if the swift dub of RF is any indication, they are immediately on any kind of new Dragon Ball product.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:51 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
batistabus wrote:I'm honestly numb to this. I cannot believe this is happening. I don't think it'll actually hit me until we get a character design or some plot details. I'm going to lose it when the first trailer hits. If FUNimation simulcasts this, I swear I'll subscribe to that service.
Funimation will almost definitely simulcast it. Dragon Ball is their cash cow and if the swift dub of RF is any indication, they are immediately on any kind of new Dragon Ball product.
I could see it going either way. On the one hand, FUNimation is pretty good about simulcasts, but on the other hand, they never simulcasted Kai.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:51 pm

Probably it will be Sumitomo again with new tracks and a few old ones (like Shenron's or Vegeta's theme). Apart from who the composer will be, they should find a good sound director who will do good music placements.

I also wonder when we will see the 1st trailer of Super DragonBall...

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:53 pm

Theophrastus wrote:The more I think about it the more concerned I become about the budget for this series and how it might effect a lot of things.

As I understand it, the lion's share of Kai's budget went toward simply paying the voice actors, many of whom are veterans and are fairly expensive to hire. Now, this wasn't as huge of an issue for Kai as it could've been since it's re-spliced footage anyway, which presumably costs a lot less than animating new stuff from the ground up.

I'm sure Super will have a higher budget than Kai, owing to it being a new series and coming off of the success of BoG and RF, but it's also going to have to balance that higher budget between brand new animation, the voice actors, however much they're paying Toriyama for the plotting, coming up with the actual scripts...

The animation could end up being terrible, the core cast could end up being shrunk to just Goku and Vegeta...any number of things could end up happening to save costs if it just gets a typical Toei budget.
The budget will be up to Fuji TV, which pays most of the production costs. If merchandise sales are high enough Bandai might be convinced to chip in more, too. Unless this is a one or two cours series it is not likely that there will be incentive for fans to buy the Blu-rays, which would also help with the budget.

At the very least I want the overall production to have the directing polish of Disk Wars: Avengers, as well as some of the action animation, of course.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:57 pm

Let's bare in mind, all of the Dragon Ball animes were cheap. Some episodes and movies had better budgets than others, resulting in some great animation, but ultimately Dragon Ball has always been a cheap affair when it comes to animated adaptations. I think it's just that we were introduced to the animes as kids, when we couldn't notice it as readily, and now that we're adults we're noticing a lot faults where we didn't previously.

I suspect it'll be the same with the new generation of fans that comes as a result of Super.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Jodaku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jodaku » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:00 pm

Lord Jesus!

I'm a year away from being 30 but it's ridiculous the sheer emotion hearing this news has brought out. Watching Battle of Gods again a few weeks ago reminded me how much I still love the series, so the timing of the announcement is perfect.

I really really like the Star Wars franchise and when the new trailer for Episode 7 came out just over a week or so back, a lot fans talked about being in tears by the end of it. While I could emphasise with that feeling, and loved the trailer, I was nowhere near the level of approaching tears. Hearing about the new DB series definitely got me approaching those levels.

A significant part of me definitely would rather they would just let the story lie as it is, but holy shit I'm ready to do this and see where this goes.

And just by going on reactions alone on Facebook, IRL, online and even some of the mainstream coverage it's getting, this on a whole 'nother level to the recent movies. As big as they were/are, they still seem to exist in their own isolated bubble compared to this. It's been building up for sure, aided by Toriyama's rediscovered passion for the series (I'm not even sure he realised he had it in the first place until the whole DBE fiasco), but shit just got real.

A new DB series, a new Star Wars film and what looks to be the final proper Metal Gear game all in 2015 is just completely mental and beyond comprehension. But it's all happening. Mental.
Last edited by Jodaku on Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:02 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Let's bare in mind, all of the Dragon Ball animes were cheap. Some episodes and movies had better budgets than others, resulting in some great animation, but ultimately Dragon Ball has always been a cheap affair when it comes to animated adaptations. I think it's just that we were introduced to the animes as kids, when we couldn't notice it as readily, and now that we're adults we're noticing a lot faults where we didn't previously.

I suspect it'll be the same with the new generation of fans that comes as a result of Super.
I still believe DBZ overall was way ahead its time. Not even talking about the movies.

I'm not seeing they screw up this. The internet exploded today. People aren't talking about anything else.
Bring back this legendary series after all this years is a huge responsibility, because most people will expect the best because of the name Dragon Ball. I will trust Toei for now.

Abou the script, If I was Toriyama i would be nervous right now.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:04 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Let's bare in mind, all of the Dragon Ball animes were cheap. Some episodes and movies had better budgets than others, resulting in some great animation, but ultimately Dragon Ball has always been a cheap affair when it comes to animated adaptations. I think it's just that we were introduced to the animes as kids, when we couldn't notice it as readily, and now that we're adults we're noticing a lot faults where we didn't previously.

Budget doesn't matter as much, anyhow. Although from what I've read modern Toei Animation series are strictly kept to only 3,000 sheets per episode. Dragon Ball Z was produced at a time when it was allowed 3,500 sheets per episode while Slam Dunk was allowed 3,000 sheets and Sailor Moon only 2,500 sheets. Still, if Chioka is smart and has time he can work around that. Incorporate BANK animation like PreCure and Pocket Monster to reduce the number of cuts and sheets needed per episode. Play things smart so that some episodes have less drawings so that the important episodes can have more sheets. Try to teach animators the Kanada style so that they can create interesting movement with fewer sheets, too.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:16 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
I could see it going either way. On the one hand, FUNimation is pretty good about simulcasts, but on the other hand, they never simulcasted Kai.
Oh, yeah. I forget they never simulcasted Kai. Well, considering Dragon Ball Z Kai was effectively the same as Dragon Ball Z but with less filler, a better script and better actors, maybe the didn't think it was worth the time. But this is a brand new Dragon Ball anime we're talking about. Why would they think it wouldn't be worth the time to simulcast this? Unless Funimation all of sudden don't like money.

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:24 pm

Meanwhile, over at Funimation's Texas headquarters:
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

ACCloud
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ACCloud » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:29 pm

WOW! Now THIS is news to wake up to!

I never in my wildest dreams thought this would happen. I mean, a new TV series with Toriyama doing the story?! I thought we'd get another movie, sure, but Toei must be really happy with how the series has been performing to do this. I wonder if Toriyama was the one to suggest it, or if this was entirely Toei's idea? Latter most likely, but it's still fascinating how involved he is now.

Regardless of quality (i.e. Toei's animation), it'll be amazing fun to have something new to discuss every single week :D

danielsan_190196
Beyond Newbie

Post by danielsan_190196 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:30 pm

The web domain www.dragonballsuper.com was registered today.
Coincidence? I don't think so :D

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:38 pm

danielsan_190196 wrote:The web domain www.dragonballsuper.com was registered today.
Coincidence? I don't think so :D
Who was it registered by? If it was registered today it might have been anyone.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:39 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:because most people will expect the best because of the name Dragon Ball.
That didn't stop them from making bog and faff.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:42 pm

Rocketman wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:because most people will expect the best because of the name Dragon Ball.
That didn't stop them from making bog and faff.
Exactly, and Battle of Gods was the best (and Resurrection 'F' could be too, reserving judgement until I see it).

I'm trying to temper my expectations for this, but it's so hard...I've wanted more of the series for so many years.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:42 pm

ParkerAL wrote:Meanwhile, over at Funimation's Texas headquarters:
Oh, yeah. Dragon Ball Super is going to make Funiamtion truckloads of money. :P