"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mystic Tien
Regular

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Mystic Tien » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:47 am

So... Another Crystal? No expectations at all. I won't fall to the same thing thrice twice. Sailor Moon Crystal was announced the same way, yet it was postponed twice and has a horrible animation. Its popularity didn't stop Toei from not caring about their own franchise and making animation as bad, as possible. Now... Saint Seiya: Soul of Gold. Well-known and beloved franchise... Yet it has a horrible animation once again. So it is just logical that new DB series will have horrible animation as well. No expectations at all.
Akira Toriyama himself is the second concern. I love the guy for what he has created, but his most recent idea's i have not been a fan of. I don't like Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan. Apart from it being a mouthful of words, it's just another Saiyan transformation which i think has now been done to death. I also think it would have been better to just call the god form Saiyan god, not Super Saiyan God. If it was called Saiyan God, the blue haired form could have been named Super Saiyan God, which i think makes far more sense. Another problem i have is how he bought Freeza back, i don't get why he is in pieces and i don't understand why Freeza didn't die instantly after being revived. When Tenshinhan was revived he wasn't revived without his arm so why should Freeza be revived in pieces ? Also, Freeza isn't Cell or Buu, he shouldn't be able to survive in pieces. I also don't understand why Freeza would look exactly like his first form when he was put in that healing tank either. What happened to his mechanical parts ? And just like the Super Saiyan Transformations, i think Freeza having another transformation is just unoriginal and boring, it looks awful too. It looks like something you would see on DeviantArt, the same goes for Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan. Oh, and i think the idea of Tight's is ridiculous. Bulma has been in Dragon Ball since the beginning and at no point do we hear about her having an older sister so inventing one at this point is really stupid. I kinda feel the same way about Tarble too.
Also this. Don't trust Toei and don't trust Toriyama.

Rocketman wrote:
SSJGFrieza wrote:I just hope he introduces a new decent villain rather than something like the disappointing and pointless return of Freeza.
DBS: Return of
Cell.
ShadowDude112 wrote:So, what do you think the budget to this will be? Since Toei is known for being cheap, will this be just as cheap as their past new animations?
Just watch Crystal and Soul of Gold. It will be as bad.
Marco Polo wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Cool to see Gohan have a kill for once. He hasn't killed someone since Cell (or Broli if you want to count in General).
He almost got Videl killed in Battle of Gods tho.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:55 am

Lupin/Digimon/DBS/SailorMoon/Saint Seiya/Gintama (not so old but was told that it will never have an anime again but yeah the author is a troll) all old anime's that were supposedly done are coming back.... what is going on :crazy:

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:55 am

PiccoloFan7289 wrote:I have been shaken to my very core about this announcement. I may even have mixed feelings about this. To think that we would see this story now continue "properly" after almost 20 years after Dragon Ball Z ended is just something I am having trouble processing. This has just blown my mind. What are some things you guys would like to see in this new series? Here's just a couple things off the top of my head.

1. For the new series to begin shortly after the Majin Buu Arc ends and lead into Battle of Gods and Revival of F throughout the show. I want to see the show cover Age 774 after the Majin Buu Arc to Age 784. That is the period of time the show needs to cover.
2. Let's talk about the structure of the show. I would like to see the show have Three Main Arcs with three majors villains just like Z with lots of short Minor Arcs between the Three Main Arcs.
3. The return of Future Trunks for one of the Major Arcs.
4. The return of Cell for maybe a Minor Arc.
5. The new series to give a massive power up to Piccolo so he can be on par with Goku and Vegeta and help them in the fights.
6. I don't expect our human fighters or Gohan to really do much fighting in the new series. They should get plenty of screen time though.
7. Have the five main fighters in the new series be Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo, Goten, and Trunks.
8. Lots of Roshi humor.
9. Have Tenshinhan make an appearance every once in a while and do something cool.
10. The birth of Pan and Bulla.
11. Beerus and Whis to be featured on the show some once the story gets past Battle of Gods.
12. For Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo, Goten, and Trunks to explore these other Universes.
13. Have the show be at least 150-200 episodes.

That's about all I can think of for now. My mind is about to explode from this news and I don't whether or not it's a good or bad thing. I watched this series on Toonami as a child, and now I'm watching new episodes as an adult. All I can say is WOW.........
You expect too much from it. You'd better not, or you will get disappointed.
Marco Polo wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Cool to see Gohan have a kill for once. He hasn't killed someone since Cell (or Broli if you want to count in General).

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:58 am

Well MysticTien, but I must say that Soul Of Gold, even with it's horrible animation, is by far the best I've seen from TOEI in the lore of spin-offs. Omega was dissaster, but Soul Of Gold is actually sequel to the old anime Asgard arc, which was boring as hell and the first two episodes so far, with the original design again, old actors, are better than the whole arc back then.

I just hope that Super DB won't be again like GT, when AT designs the characters and few locales and runs away.
I think that bad animation is a staple of TOEI, so that is no concern of mine. Only company where I feel safe is Sunrise.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Captain Space
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Captain Space » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:59 am

To be fair aside from the animation, Soul of Gold is...eh, it's okay.
SansrivaaL wrote:Lupin/Digimon/DBS/SailorMoon/Saint Seiya/Gintama (not so old but was told that it will never have an anime again but yeah the author is a troll) all old anime's that were supposedly done are coming back.... what is going on :crazy:
Wait, Lupin?!
"Actually I didn’t know what Bulma’s real hair color was" --Toriyama

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:59 am

sbk wrote:Piccolo fused Kami is way more of a 'prodigy' than Freeza tho
This was not his initial power level. And to be honest Piccolo fused with Kami isn't a Nameless Namekian either. Despite Piccolo Jr. being Piccolo Daimao's reincarnation, he isn't the same person. He is Daimao's son.
Captain Space wrote:To be fair aside from the animation, Soul of Gold is...eh, it's okay.
Well, I am okay with Soul of Gold, while it is not as good as I expected. But animation... It is awful. Even in opening... Which should obviously be better drawn.
MCDaveG wrote:Well MysticTien, but I must say that Soul Of Gold, even with it's horrible animation, is by far the best I've seen from TOEI in the lore of spin-offs. Omega was dissaster, but Soul Of Gold is actually sequel to the old anime Asgard arc, which was boring as hell and the first two episodes so far, with the original design again, old actors, are better than the whole arc back then.
Well, I don't know. I loved villains in Asgard arc, but God Warriors in Soul of Gold are rather lame :( Omega had much better villains in my opinion.
EXBadguy wrote:Y'know something?

I think I'm gonna have to wait until I hear from a word of mouth, becuz the more I think about this, the more scared I am becuz, one, the animation, and two, Toriyama fucking up once again like he did with DB Minus and the two movies(mostly BoG). I honestly wish Toei called in another writer besides Toriyama, a writer who understands and remembers Toriyama's story and be consistent as possible. With that being said, I will not join in the hype train and anticipate for the premiere. Gotta see a reception!

Shit like DB Minus can really make you hate the series. I almost stopped being a fan of the series after reading a chapter of it.
You just take it too seriously. But animation... yeah. And I don't have any hopes for a plot either after FnF.
Marco Polo wrote:

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:07 am

Captain Space wrote: Wait, Lupin?!
Yes Lupin III, a new story that takes place in Italy and San Marino.
Mystic Tien wrote:So... Another Crystal? No expectations at all. I won't fall to the same thing thrice twice. Sailor Moon Crystal was announced the same way, yet it was postponed twice and has a horrible animation. Its popularity didn't stop Toei from not caring about their own franchise and making animation as bad, as possible. Now... Saint Seiya: Soul of Gold. Well-known and beloved franchise... Yet it has a horrible animation once again. So it is just logical that new DB series will have horrible animation as well. No expectations at all.
I want to say your wrong but I cant.... I love the idea of having a continuation from the buu arc but if the animation is crappy then..... I prefer movie types, the past 2 movies of DBZ actually had a decent animation considering its from TOEI, especially RoF without their weird CGI.

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:11 am

Zenkashuu wrote:
DemonRin wrote:
Zenkashuu wrote:They should make canon all DragonBall Heroes stuff in the new series. Golden Great Ape Broly is a MUST.
Eeew, no no no No NO! Broli is the worst thing to happen to this series and the fandom around it. The only new animation I want of Broli is a video of him dying graphically in a freak greasefire.
Why not? Come on! Imagine badass Broly go head to head with SSGSS Goku or Vegeta, it'll drive me nuts.
If Toyble is writing a plot, I can see something like this.
SansrivaaL wrote:
Mystic Tenshinhan wrote:So... Another Crystal? No expectations at all. I won't fall to the same thing thrice twice. Sailor Moon Crystal was announced the same way, yet it was postponed twice and has a horrible animation. Its popularity didn't stop Toei from not caring about their own franchise and making animation as bad, as possible. Now... Saint Seiya: Soul of Gold. Well-known and beloved franchise... Yet it has a horrible animation once again. So it is just logical that new DB series will have horrible animation as well. No expectations at all.
I want to say your wrong but I cant.... I love the idea of having a continuation from the buu arc but if the animation is crappy then..... I prefer movie types, the past 2 movies of DBZ actually had a decent animation considering its from TOEI, especially RoF without their weird CGI.
I want to be proven wrong, but as for now, I don't trust Toei at all. They literally ruined my two favorite franchises with their horrible animation. People hate Crystal, people hate Soul of Gold.
SSJGFrieza wrote:
Cetra wrote:Even if it surpasses vol. 42 there is still a 5 year gap between Z and GT. Maybe they fix/re-explain some things.
GT is dead, not that it was ever canon to start with :lol:
As one guy already stated in this thread:
Dorexx wrote:Can we all stop letting our "hate" of DBGT blind our reasoning? If a billion series were made "ignoring" DBGT it would never "retcon it out of existence", but simply set it aside as one universe and timeline, next to another universe and timeline, and so on. Multiple branches in a tree. Just like Future Trunks' lives in one branch and our main heroes live in another branch, same the new series may represent one branch, while DBGT represents another. All branches equally important, equally valid and equally "real". (we're not even sure yet if they're not both within the same branch) How many more times does this point have to be made before everyone understands it?
Nothing is dead, you may not like it, but it still exists.
Marco Polo wrote:

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:31 am

I think GT will get to exist. But even if it doesn't, I'm happy to see it go the way of an alternate timeline.

What I want to know is what animation style this new series will employ. I'm really hoping it will take after the original Dragon Ball Z footage. Not the very early stuff that still looked a bit dodgy but the Majin Buu arc. I love all the edgy looks and animation. I'm really not a fan of the style they have been using for the films and video game cutscenes lately. Too clean, too shiny, too square (eyes and faces for example). Give me the old animation any day.

Gohanhx

Post by Gohanhx » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:43 am

Has anyone seen this Fuji Tv preview for Dragon Ball Super yet?
https://twitter.com/si00859m/status/593332831473901568

ZeroTheSuperSaiyan

Post by ZeroTheSuperSaiyan » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:56 am

nato25 wrote:I think GT will get to exist. But even if it doesn't, I'm happy to see it go the way of an alternate timeline.

What I want to know is what animation style this new series will employ. I'm really hoping it will take after the original Dragon Ball Z footage. Not the very early stuff that still looked a bit dodgy but the Majin Buu arc. I love all the edgy looks and animation. I'm really not a fan of the style they have been using for the films and video game cutscenes lately. Too clean, too shiny, too square (eyes and faces for example). Give me the old animation any day.
with GT i think it will depend on where it takes place because all we know as of now is after Boo/Buu so if it's after FnF but before Goku leaves to train Oob/Uub as a mini series then depending on what happens GT could be made to fit after all Toriyama did come up with some of the ideas used in GT such as the name and designs of the main characters (yes he gave Vegeta that makeover) so it would be nice if they could make it fit

as for the animation style yeah I think they should use the same style as the end of Z or GT if only to be consistant with the rest series
sorry if my grammar and spelling are bad in my posts but please don't hold it against me I have dyslexia and the only reason I can spell as well as I do is because I learnt where the letters on the keyboard are

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:57 am

Gohanhx wrote:Has anyone seen this Fuji Tv preview for Dragon Ball Super yet?
https://twitter.com/si00859m/status/593332831473901568
No, I'm pretty sure that's the first post we've gotten on the subject.
Earlier someone posted a video of Nozawa and company on stage with a huge pic of Shenlong in the background teasing the new series, but these screenshots weren't shown.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:01 am

I don't get why people are still trying to find ways for GT to fit in the continuity of the new movies, SSGSS completely destroys any chance of that.

fexus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by fexus » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:02 am

I know that not everyone are going to be happy or excited that there will be a new anime, but do you need to say that to everybody else and say that they are wrong and should be ashamed for expecting something out of this?
I ask thou, WHY MUST IT BE ME?
Your weakness is your strength.
Are you reading this? If you are, I just want to let you know that I'm a GREAT GUY. :lol:

Jaetinh
Regular

Post by Jaetinh » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:07 am

Fucking hell, the biggest TV-channel in Denmark (TV2) posted the news on their website today, I did definitely NOT expect that.

http://nyhederne.tv2.dk/2015-04-28-kult ... ter-18-aar

So hyped. :D

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:15 am

I can't wait to see if Toei can go EVEN FURTHER BEYOND in terms of bad animation.

WILL TOEI ANIMATION BE ABLE TO SURPASS THIS? CHECK OUT NEXT TIME ON DRAGON BALL SUPEEEER!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:26 am

After RF, I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on this.

Vegitofaxx
Regular

Post by Vegitofaxx » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:39 am

Jaetinh wrote:Fucking hell, the biggest TV-channel in Denmark (TV2) posted the news on their website today, I did definitely NOT expect that.

http://nyhederne.tv2.dk/2015-04-28-kult ... ter-18-aar

So hyped. :D
What about DR1? :eh:
Here lies a modified Doctor Who qoute. It was killed too early by the moderators. R.I.P.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steam: The Muncher of Da Biscuits.
PSN: Joeythekiller123
Playing XenoVerse on Pc. BP = 10370. Primary CaC: Tapaha. Always ready for an invite :D
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jackass, #1 Hellsing fan, Translator for the Danish version of DBM(always two pages ahead of you), Chilling on da forums 8)

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:56 am

ArchedThunder wrote:I don't get why people are still trying to find ways for GT to fit in the continuity of the new movies, SSGSS completely destroys any chance of that.
Dorexx wrote:Can we all stop letting our "hate" of DBGT blind our reasoning? If a billion series were made "ignoring" DBGT it would never "retcon it out of existence", but simply set it aside as one universe and timeline, next to another universe and timeline, and so on. Multiple branches in a tree. Just like Future Trunks' lives in one branch and our main heroes live in another branch, same the new series may represent one branch, while DBGT represents another. All branches equally important, equally valid and equally "real". (we're not even sure yet if they're not both within the same branch) How many more times does this point have to be made before everyone understands it?
Marco Polo wrote:

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:59 am

fexus wrote:I know that not everyone are going to be happy or excited that there will be a new anime, but do you need to say that to everybody else and say that they are wrong and should be ashamed for expecting something out of this?

If you meant me, then I don't force anyone to dislike it or hate it. What I am doing is warning people. Because I fell on it twice, and both times Toei disappointed me with a god awful animation. And even a story wasn't that good (awful for Crystal's 1 season). It is better to not expect much from a current Toei, or you'll most likely be disappointed.
Flame Dragon wrote:I can't wait to see if Toei can go EVEN FURTHER BEYOND in terms of bad animation.

WILL TOEI ANIMATION BE ABLE TO SURPASS THIS? CHECK OUT NEXT TIME ON DRAGON BALL SUPEEEER!
This is an alien! She isn't even a human!

2 FPS.
Marco Polo wrote: