"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Flame Dragon
Regular

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Flame Dragon » Sun May 03, 2015 9:06 am

After the shitty writing in BOG and ROF, i completely expect this series to be a plothole-fest. Maybe even worse than GT. :lol:

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Sun May 03, 2015 9:41 am

OutlawTorn wrote:
Who's to say it doesn't start before Uub's introduction but progresses to a point after?
It could, but in that case it would be more logical to cut EOZ from Kai and stick it into Super. Star Trek comparsion is good, but not perfect, those shows all had their own crews so overlapping wasn't really a big issue here, or whether airing of one series began before previous one even ended. Here we, presumably, go with chronological set of events involving the same cast of characters

Avenged
Advanced Regular

Post by Avenged » Sun May 03, 2015 10:50 am

Gonstead wrote:
Bullza wrote:There been any news on this since announcement?
There's a site, too?!
They're just assuming that is when the first episode starts, no real confirmation.
Dragon Blog Z - A Dragon Ball Z Community

ssjjanemba
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssjjanemba » Sun May 03, 2015 10:55 am

July 5 release date XD so we only have to wait 2 months!
Hi

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sun May 03, 2015 11:20 am

Avenged wrote:They're just assuming that is when the first episode starts, no real confirmation.
Well the first week of July is also the start of a new cour, and Kai has followed the three month pattern pretty strictly thus far. Even without that new information for the Blu-rays, July 5th already seemed like the most logical start date.
-Rachel

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun May 03, 2015 11:40 am

Flame Dragon wrote:After the shitty writing in BOG and ROF, i completely expect this series to be a plothole-fest. Maybe even worse than GT. :lol:
Dragon Ball isn't the kind of franchise one should expect too much consistency, great writing or what have you. It's a tongue in cheek franchise which I always welcome.

I liked GT very much but it frankly could have been even better, one of the things I noticed the final episodes reused too much was the small variety of BGMs which Kai Kikuchi and Sumitomo are filled with too. That I almost hated it but due to adoring those tunes I've decided to give it a pass. :P

By the way, what is up with the weird title of the blue Goku? :lol: To me he's "Super Saiyan Cyan Goku" coincidentaly "Saiyan" and "Cyan" sound exactly the same to me. :lol:
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

ZeroTheSuperSaiyan

Post by ZeroTheSuperSaiyan » Sun May 03, 2015 11:47 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:By the way, what is up with the weird title of the blue Goku? :lol: To me he's "Super Saiyan Cyan Goku" coincidentaly "Saiyan" and "Cyan" sound exactly the same to me. :lol:
yeah Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan is a mouthful that why me and my mates are calling it Godly Super Saiyan for now :D
sorry if my grammar and spelling are bad in my posts but please don't hold it against me I have dyslexia and the only reason I can spell as well as I do is because I learnt where the letters on the keyboard are

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun May 03, 2015 11:56 am

I alternate between ssjblue and blueper saiyan.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun May 03, 2015 12:43 pm

So, July 5th is the confirmed date for the airing of the first episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Let the countdown begin! :P

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sun May 03, 2015 1:16 pm

With as regards to Kai leading into Super, I don't feel that will be the case, as the purpose of it, is to be closer to the source material. I personally believe that Super will begin after Buu, not Uub, else I feel they would have mentioned Goku leaving after the 28th Budokai, as opposed to being set after the defeat of Buu.

Though if it's after Uub, I feel that would be just too long, and with there being a period of 5 years between Buu and Beerus, then about 4 years between the end of "F" and Uub, I can't believe they won't want to use those up.
Toriyama said he chose the lost 10 year period between Buu and Uub for BoG because everyone was at their strongest, if that was his mindset, I can't see him choosing post Z.

Though of course, I probably am entirely wrong lol.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun May 03, 2015 1:21 pm

If it doesn't start after Oob, then this series is pointless imo.

ZeroTheSuperSaiyan

Post by ZeroTheSuperSaiyan » Sun May 03, 2015 1:34 pm

Doctor. wrote:If it doesn't start after Oob, then this series is pointless imo.
as a full series yes but a mini series could work
sorry if my grammar and spelling are bad in my posts but please don't hold it against me I have dyslexia and the only reason I can spell as well as I do is because I learnt where the letters on the keyboard are

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun May 03, 2015 1:36 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote: Though if it's after Uub, I feel that would be just too long, and with there being a period of 5 years between Buu and Beerus, then about 4 years between the end of "F" and Uub, I can't believe they won't want to use those up.
They might leave those years for future movies.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun May 03, 2015 1:46 pm

Circling back to the prospect of a broadcast dub, it is still very possible, though that'll mean FUNi would have to recast... Who fancies Sabat playing Goku? :lol: It took them about a year to dub the first batch of Kai 1.0, if something similar happens with Super then that is fine by me, I would not want a rushed dub anyway, a simple simulcast should suffice.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun May 03, 2015 1:50 pm

Not Sabat, but a new Funi dub Gokû would be interesting. I'd like to see who they'd cast if they had to recast him.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

vegitot
Beyond Newbie

Post by vegitot » Sun May 03, 2015 2:00 pm

26 eps is already worse than 64. Just like 64 and over 200

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun May 03, 2015 2:16 pm

Chuquita wrote:Not Sabat, but a new Funi dub Gokû would be interesting. I'd like to see who they'd cast if they had to recast him.
I honestly love Schemmel as Goku. He's really grown into the role over the years and really now fits like a glove. I really don't know who Funi could get that could replace him.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Sun May 03, 2015 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun May 03, 2015 2:20 pm

I really hope the series starts after Z. Then anything can happen. It's hard feeling any sort of drama or weight when we know that everyone is fine by the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun May 03, 2015 2:21 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Not Sabat, but a new Funi dub Gokû would be interesting. I'd like to see who they'd cast if they had to recast him.
I honestly love Schemmel as Goku. He's really grown into the role over the year and really now fits like a glove. I really don't know who Funi could get that could replace him.
Maybe he could just work remotely then? Have him record where he lives and send it in like TFS does?
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sun May 03, 2015 2:25 pm

Honestly, I don't think that's an option right now. Schemmel is Goku now as far as FUNi dub fans are concerned (me included) I've never really liked Nozawa (though I do respect her totally) and see Sean as Goku.

Though if they did replace him, I think there would be a major backlash from the fans. The only other possibility would be for the cast to be allowed to record from home on a schedule.