"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kei17
I Live Here

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by kei17 » Tue May 05, 2015 8:01 am

I've read the article carefully, but there's nothing indicating that they directly contacted Toei. So, don't believe it. The "more than 100 episodes" thing must be total bullshit.

MrKaytos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MrKaytos » Tue May 05, 2015 8:12 am

kei17 wrote:I've read the article carefully, but there's nothing indicating that they directly contacted Toei. So, don't believe it. The "more than 100 episodes" thing must be total bullshit.
In Misión Tokyo we don't have the necessity of lying at all. Our director has published that information which comes directly from a Toei Animation contact. We've been working on this media for 14 years.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue May 05, 2015 8:25 am

MrKaytos wrote:Scoop!!! We have published vital information on Misión Tokyo España: http://misiontokyo.com/noticias/estos-s ... m=facebook

Dragon Ball Super will be 100 episodes long (at least).
The target will be children, Dragon Ball Kai fans.
Daisuki simulcast is not planned.
All targets of Dragon Ball have been kids, so no surprise there.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue May 05, 2015 8:51 am

So is the information about DBS being 100 episodes long legit or is it just bullshit? Because before we get the word from Toei, I'm gonna take this with a pinch salt.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Tue May 05, 2015 9:26 am

I'm taking nothing as gospel unless it comes from an official statement made by Toei, like the original announcement.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue May 05, 2015 9:28 am

MrKaytos wrote: The target will be children, Dragon Ball Kai fans.
You know DB always target to kids. Even in the US during the late 90's and early 2000's. Most of the Millennials (Generation Y) would not been DBZ fans if it was not for Toonami.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue May 05, 2015 9:43 am

If TOEI is giving out that info to the press when asked, then maybe someone from Kanzenshuu staff should email them and verify.

Here is contact info for TOEI Europe

MEDIA CONTACT
Toei Animation Europe SAS
Isabelle Favre: Tel : + 33 1 75 00 15 52 / Email: isabelle@toei-animation.com

Maybe someone can find one for TOEI Japan?
Edit: Here is the english contact page for TOEI Japan

http://corp.toei-anim.co.jp/english/bef ... quiry.html
Last edited by UpFromTheSkies on Tue May 05, 2015 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

LaRésistance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LaRésistance » Tue May 05, 2015 9:51 am

I talked to Isabelle Favre on the phone last week (she is French) and she couldn't tell me anything about the new show that wasn't in the press release.
The résistance dies but never gives up.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue May 05, 2015 9:53 am

LaRésistance wrote:I talked to Isabelle Favre on the phone last week (she is French) and she couldn't tell me anything about the new show that wasn't in the press release.
TOEI Europe may not know more than what's in the press release, but I edited my post and added contact info for TOEI Japan, so maybe someone from Kanzenshuu can talk to them

ZeroTheSuperSaiyan

Post by ZeroTheSuperSaiyan » Tue May 05, 2015 9:59 am

About Whis
jcogginsa wrote:My theory is that he's a God of Destruction from another universe
I reckon he was the god of destruction before Beerus, he retired and Beerus took over

DBZ_Lee wrote:I'm taking nothing as gospel unless it comes from an official statement made by Toei, like the original announcement.
same here, until Toei release the details I'm taking everything with a pinch of salt
Last edited by ZeroTheSuperSaiyan on Tue May 05, 2015 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
sorry if my grammar and spelling are bad in my posts but please don't hold it against me I have dyslexia and the only reason I can spell as well as I do is because I learnt where the letters on the keyboard are

LaRésistance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LaRésistance » Tue May 05, 2015 10:00 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote:
LaRésistance wrote:I talked to Isabelle Favre on the phone last week (she is French) and she couldn't tell me anything about the new show that wasn't in the press release.
TOEI Europe may not know more than what's in the press release, but I edited my post and added contact info for TOEI Japan, so maybe someone from Kanzenshuu can talk to them
Even if someone calls them, it is sensible information that they won't give to someone on the phone. If what the Spanish site says is true, their source won't come forward and say it publicly.
The résistance dies but never gives up.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue May 05, 2015 10:04 am

Production companies don't just decide to do 100 episodes for a show with no source material. That's not how things work. They may well have an idea of how long they'd like the show to last, but there's far more that determines a show's length than what a company hopes for.

You begin by budgeting a reasonable length, usually a cour or two (maybe a year at max if you're adapting a lengthy manga). You then determine the future of the series from viewer retention rates and merchandise sales. If it's proving exceptionally popular, only then do you start to consider more episodes.

You have to take GT into consideration, too. The ratings for that show varied wildly. The highest rated episode was episode 2 at 19.7%, while the lowest was 9.6% in episode 21. The average rating dipped from 15.1% down to 13.6% by the end of the series. Compared to the previous two series' average ratings of about 21%, that's quite a drop. Especially when the lowest Z episode was 12.1%! 1 You're definitely not going to commit to a huge show after that.

Toei will be taking this one cautious step at a time.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

ZeroTheSuperSaiyan

Post by ZeroTheSuperSaiyan » Tue May 05, 2015 10:34 am

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Production companies don't just decide to do 100 episodes for a show with no source material. That's not how things work. They may well have an idea of how long they'd like the show to last, but there's far more that determines a show's length than what a company hopes for.

You begin by budgeting a reasonable length, usually a cour or two (maybe a year at max if you're adapting a lengthy manga). You then determine the future of the series from viewer retention rates and merchandise sales. If it's proving exceptionally popular, only then do you start to consider more episodes.

You have to take GT into consideration, too. The ratings for that show varied wildly. The highest rated episode was episode 2 at 19.7%, while the lowest was 9.6% in episode 21. The average rating dipped from 15.1% down to 13.6% by the end of the series. Compared to the previous two series' average ratings of about 21%, that's quite a drop. Especially when the lowest Z episode was 12.1%! 1 You're definitely not going to commit to a huge show after that.

Toei will be taking this one cautious step at a time.
I reckon it will be about 24 episodes minimum, that seems to be the average for an anime nowadays
sorry if my grammar and spelling are bad in my posts but please don't hold it against me I have dyslexia and the only reason I can spell as well as I do is because I learnt where the letters on the keyboard are

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue May 05, 2015 11:07 am

There is no source material so TOEI can literally go on for as long as they want and when the series does end it will because Super stops bringing in money.

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Tue May 05, 2015 11:11 am

So how much partecipation has Toriyama in this thing? Did he write the full story or just minor details?

I would not like a GT 2.0.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue May 05, 2015 11:11 am

After this series is over/whilst running, can we expect a significant increase in the number of volume sales of the manga due to new fans?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue May 05, 2015 11:20 am

ZeroTheSuperSaiyan wrote:I reckon it will be about 24 episodes minimum, that seems to be the average for an anime nowadays
I'm not quite sure where you're coming up with that. If anything, the average is a 12- or 13-episode commitment. And that's for series that are either original to TV from the get-go, or are adaptations of something other than a long-running shonen from its manga serialization (which, in general coming from Shueisha, still has the default production of "run it into the ground"; other companies have other strategies, such as with Hajime no Ippo).
Flame Dragon wrote:So how much partecipation has Toriyama in this thing? Did he write the full story or just minor details?
We don't know. We still only know the most raw details as they were announced a week ago. There is literally zero new information since then. He's involved at some level with the story; there is no clarification beyond that.
Doctor. wrote:After this series is over/whilst running, can we expect a significant increase in the number of volume sales of the manga due to new fans?
No way to tell. It depends on how successful the show is. That being said, the series has never been out of print/production. The market is already quite well-flooded with copies.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Tue May 05, 2015 11:25 am

Noah wrote:Super Saiyan 4 will not be retconned, please.
Toriyama doesn't even remember about it, I am sure. But I doubt that there'll be SSJ4 in Super at all.
JulieYBM wrote:My big hope is that the head writer (series kousei) is Tomioka Atsuhiro. He recently wrote a script for One Piece
That's why I am enjoying it again. It is good to know.
Basaku wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:It's a huge responsibility to bring the anime series back, after all these years. Toei shocked the entire world with this.
Hope they don't screw up.
Let's hope so. They took Sailor Moon Crystal criticism and improved heavily during second arc. I hope we don't have to get through 1 bad season and complain endlessly to eventually get something better.
Not heavily, but at least I enjoy it now. Animation still needs to be much better though, especially after it began airing on TV, and doesn't have an excuse of being ONA anymore.
Last edited by Mystic Tien on Tue May 05, 2015 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marco Polo wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Cool to see Gohan have a kill for once. He hasn't killed someone since Cell (or Broli if you want to count in General).
He almost got Videl killed in Battle of Gods tho.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue May 05, 2015 11:31 am

While this may sound unusual, keeping an eye out for early Super images in grocery stores in Japan may be beneficial. The earliest Go!Pri images were from labels on snack foods.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

ZeroTheSuperSaiyan

Post by ZeroTheSuperSaiyan » Tue May 05, 2015 11:31 am

VegettoEX wrote:I'm not quite sure where you're coming up with that. If anything, the average is a 12- or 13-episode commitment. And that's for series that are either original to TV from the get-go, or are adaptations of something other than a long-running shonen from its manga serialization (which, in general coming from Shueisha, still has the default production of "run it into the ground"; other companies have other strategies, such as with Hajime no Ippo).
I was just going on anime I recently brought like Atack on Titan, Blue Exorcist and Akame ga Kill! (we'll that's on pre-order), they all seem to be around the 24 to 25 episode mark