"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Low Tone G » Mon May 25, 2015 1:45 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:BOG and "F" both seem like 2/3 of a new arc. Battle of Gods was the concept introduction which set the new arc in motion (Future Trunks' warning and then training for Gero's robots), Resurrection F was the secondary training session (RoSaT), and we're currently missing the climax (Cell Games or whatever). Hopefully Super covers that, and better than a film can with all the extra time.
I never really saw it like that but it really does seem like the case. BOG and ROF have laid down the foundation for epic events to happen in Dragon Ball Super much sooner than later. Now I really want Dragon Ball Super to take place after ROF. :P
I've actually always viewed the two movies to be really incomplete stories. I would have been shocked if they hadn't any sort of continuations. I see Battle of Gods like the beginning of the Gods Arc and Resurrection [F] a training session. I really really hope the new Super to finally uncover the multiverse issue and more Gods of Destruction and they'll stop teasing us.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Mon May 25, 2015 1:49 pm

snaku wrote:
UpFromTheSkies wrote:
Marco Polo wrote:Buu was the last threat in the anime and the other stuff were only in specials or movies. If they want to appeal to the widest audience possible, it makes sense to mention Buu so as not to alienate casual viewers who may have lost touch with the franchise since their teenage years. It's the same reason the seventh episode of Star Wars is officially called Star Wars: The Force Awakens (without "Episode VII").

Besides, if they actually said "after Freeza's return", it would be confusing because he has returned several times.
If it took place after RoF, I'd imagine they would say that it follows the aftermath of their battle with Golden Freeza. But like I said, it could just be poorly worded and mean nothing at all.

Since FnF is still in theaters, perhaps they don't want to spoil the outcome of the film in a press release for those that haven't seen it yet?
EoZ already does that.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Mon May 25, 2015 3:38 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote:If it took place after RoF, I'd imagine they would say that it follows the aftermath of their battle with Golden Freeza. But like I said, it could just be poorly worded and mean nothing at all.
Eh, i don't think they would ever refer to Freeza as "Golden Freeza" in a press release, the same way Cell isn't commonly called "Perfect Cell" outside very specific products. He is Freeza ,and that's it.
In fact, when Super was announced, a producer said there would be an enemy "stronger than Buu and Freeza", obviously referring to the movie already.

There are so many evidences at this point that the series comes after FnF, it's hard to ignore. Unless they're spreading misleading info all around.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon May 25, 2015 4:05 pm

Low Tone G wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:BOG and "F" both seem like 2/3 of a new arc. Battle of Gods was the concept introduction which set the new arc in motion (Future Trunks' warning and then training for Gero's robots), Resurrection F was the secondary training session (RoSaT), and we're currently missing the climax (Cell Games or whatever). Hopefully Super covers that, and better than a film can with all the extra time.
I never really saw it like that but it really does seem like the case. BOG and ROF have laid down the foundation for epic events to happen in Dragon Ball Super much sooner than later. Now I really want Dragon Ball Super to take place after ROF. :P
I've actually always viewed the two movies to be really incomplete stories. I would have been shocked if they hadn't any sort of continuations. I see Battle of Gods like the beginning of the Gods Arc and Resurrection [F] a training session. I really really hope the new Super to finally uncover the multiverse issue and more Gods of Destruction and they'll stop teasing us.
I hope Super's after End of DBZ, and that future movies will continue after F.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Mon May 25, 2015 4:57 pm

sangofe wrote:I hope Super's after End of DBZ, and that future movies will continue after F.
This. DragonBall Z was after DB and DragonBall GT after DBZ. They should not mix each series' timeline. I wouldn't like to see this new series ''invading'' DBZ's timeline because from Kid Buu to Uub it's DBZ for us and not DB Super. So I think that they should separate these things. DB Super and DBZ should be two different things.

It would also be really weird if Toei introduces 2 years from now a new DragonBall Super Movie instead of DragonBall Z. The title DragonBall Z is the most recognizable overseas when it comes to DragonBall.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Mon May 25, 2015 5:47 pm

Araki wrote:
UpFromTheSkies wrote:If it took place after RoF, I'd imagine they would say that it follows the aftermath of their battle with Golden Freeza. But like I said, it could just be poorly worded and mean nothing at all.
Eh, i don't think they would ever refer to Freeza as "Golden Freeza" in a press release, the same way Cell isn't commonly called "Perfect Cell" outside very specific products. He is Freeza ,and that's it.
In fact, when Super was announced, a producer said there would be an enemy "stronger than Buu and Freeza", obviously referring to the movie already.

There are so many evidences at this point that the series comes after FnF, it's hard to ignore. Unless they're spreading misleading info all around.
They've said enemies stronger than Freeza and Buu will appear, but they didn't say when. It could start out right after Buu and then catch up with the movies quickly and continue on. Everyone has the idea that Super must be set in only one time period, but it's a series, not a movie, so it can cover multiple points in the time line.

Tennessaiyan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tennessaiyan » Mon May 25, 2015 6:18 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote:Everyone has the idea that Super must be set in only one time period, but it's a series, not a movie, so it can cover multiple points in the time line.
That's one of my hopes for Super, that it covers a stretch of time just like the series did rather than the movies. I miss that passage of time feeling, adventure, and cliffhanger episodes. I want it to continue at least all the way up to EOZ, just so we get can a nice, seamless closing to the story (but prefereably, to EOZ and beyond!)

Aaand I really, really want to see teenage Trunks and Goten. Badly. As well as Bulla. (Bulla and Pan getting into mischief just as Trunks and Goten did... that would be so adorable and amazing!)
mogi67 wrote:I kind of view Dragon Ball the same way I view mythology. It can be convoluted, contradictory, but always a treasure.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon May 25, 2015 7:18 pm

Child Bulla and child Pan will easily be who I'll be most excited to see if we do get EoZ era for Super. I want to see Vegeta and Bulla shenanigans so bad. X3
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Mon May 25, 2015 7:20 pm

TheRed259 wrote:
sangofe wrote:I hope Super's after End of DBZ, and that future movies will continue after F.
This. DragonBall Z was after DB and DragonBall GT after DBZ. They should not mix each series' timeline. I wouldn't like to see this new series ''invading'' DBZ's timeline because from Kid Buu to Uub it's DBZ for us and not DB Super. So I think that they should separate these things. DB Super and DBZ should be two different things.

It would also be really weird if Toei introduces 2 years from now a new DragonBall Super Movie instead of DragonBall Z. The title DragonBall Z is the most recognizable overseas when it comes to DragonBall.
Yep, just for the sake of brand consistency they need to place it after EOZ. Especially as just-released BOG/ROF are both branded as Z movies.
Chuquita wrote:Child Bulla and child Pan will easily be who I'll be most excited to see if we do get EoZ era for Super. I want to see Vegeta and Bulla shenanigans so bad. X3
If it's set 1 to 5 years after EOZ, they're still gonan be in baby potato bodies for all purpouses. Look how ridiculously long they kept Goten/Trunks in kid bodies

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon May 25, 2015 7:26 pm

Basaku wrote: Look how ridiculously long they kept Goten/Trunks in kid bodies
Hopefully, they spent ROF growing up behind the scenes.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon May 25, 2015 7:57 pm

What do you think of his thoughts on Goku&Vegeta ?

http://www.reddit.com/r/dbz/comments/37 ... all_super/
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Scott
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scott » Mon May 25, 2015 8:06 pm

sintzu wrote:What do you think of his thoughts on Goku&Vegeta ?

He's just doing exactly what we have been doing since Super was announced really, he's just guessing.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon May 25, 2015 8:12 pm

If his theory does play out; that means we potentially get a much less depressing version of DBO's "Gokû and Vegeta run off together in secret to battle to the death because Gokû is starting to show signs of rapid-aging." where instead they'll potentially end up as a possibly-extended-life platonic god couple?

OMG, now I'm picturing "The Odd Couple" logo photoshopped into reading "The God Couple". XD
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Mon May 25, 2015 8:32 pm

Chuquita wrote:

If his theory does play out; that means we potentially get a much less depressing version of DBO's "Gokû and Vegeta run off together in secret to battle to the death because Gokû is starting to show signs of rapid-aging."
That was actually a part of the DBO story?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon May 25, 2015 8:34 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote:
Chuquita wrote:

If his theory does play out; that means we potentially get a much less depressing version of DBO's "Gokû and Vegeta run off together in secret to battle to the death because Gokû is starting to show signs of rapid-aging."
That was actually a part of the DBO story?
Yup, year 801 (which was unintentionally(?) chosen as that number is slang for yaoi) it said something like 'Gokû knew his rapid-aging was near so he somehow convinced Vegeta to secretly leave Earth to travel far away and battle to the death. Something about their battle creating super-novas that echoed all the way to Earth and how no one heard from them ever again'.

Let me see if I can find the actual quote.

EDIT: I found it!
So happy I saved info on this, made it super-easy.
Goku goes missing.

The bulleted text goes on to say that Vegeta joined him. They knew that their deaths were near so they left Earth to have one final fight. I'm not 100% sure that's what it says, but that's what it seems to say. The text for the bullet is below:

자신의 임종을 깨달은 오공은. 마지막으로 매듭을 짓기 우해 베지터와 함께 지구에서 사라진다. 수년 후. 초신성 폭발이 확인되었다. 이것은 손오공과 베지터의 싸움의 영향일지도 모른다.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... ry#p410433

There's more to it than that (I feel like I know the super-nova thing happens) but I don't know where that thread is.

EDIT: Super-nova found
AGE 801
Son Goku disappears
Realizing his death is imminent, Goku, who wanted to settle their rivalry, left the Earth with Vegeta. Years later, a supernova explosion was detected; perhaps caused by Son Goku and Vegeta’s battle.
[Ref: From the DBO timeline.]
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 01#p685169
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

ssjjanemba
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssjjanemba » Mon May 25, 2015 8:48 pm

A final epic battle is a great ending for two great characters.
Hi

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon May 25, 2015 8:51 pm

A supernova being detected that quickly means it was close enough to burn Earth to a crisp.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon May 25, 2015 9:25 pm

That would imply that Dragon Ball obeys all of the same rules of reality that the our world does. I don't think anyone who has read or watched the series could justifiably say that it does.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon May 25, 2015 9:29 pm

Rocketman wrote:A supernova being detected that quickly means it was close enough to burn Earth to a crisp.
Dragon Ball constantly defies logic. So it doesn't really surprise me that a visible supernova doesn't all of a sudden destroy the Earth.

Tennessaiyan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tennessaiyan » Mon May 25, 2015 10:16 pm

ssjjanemba wrote:A final epic battle is a great ending for two great characters.
I couldn't agree more with that. Although, I do hope it is kept as an "implied thing" in the timeline (if it is still considered canon?) rather than being actually being a featured moment IN the series, because I'm so pathetically emotional about stuff like that xD But I seriously doubt that the series will stretch that far or even mention anyhting happening that far into the future. If the Dragonball series loses Goku and/or Vegeta, the series has nothing. Well, to me at least. I'm one of those people that watch the series for the Dragonball characters rather than the Dragonball "world".

And yes, Chuquita, Vegeta/Bra stuff is at the top of my list for things I want in potentially-post-EoZ Super as well x) I guess it's still possible even if it's not post-EoZ, considering that the current timeline is cutting it REALLY close to Bra's birth, if she really is one year youger than Pan. Man, I hope Super takes place at least a year or so after RoF, and that Toriyama actually remembers Bra. *crosses fingers and cries a little*
mogi67 wrote:I kind of view Dragon Ball the same way I view mythology. It can be convoluted, contradictory, but always a treasure.