"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by sangofe » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:38 pm

soulnova wrote:
Beerus-sama wrote: Thats right, it was just a comment.
I didnt translate the line since I feared it would be bad...
but basically it said:
(Goten) "Yaaay, I'll do tons of fusions with Trunks again!"
poor soul...

:cry:

but, but...

:problem: Fine.

Let's wait to see what super brings.
Lots of Gotenks? Hell yeah!

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:59 pm

Didn't DBZ's final episode show a preview to GT? Will Kai do the same thing with Super?
Jaco the Super Elite with The Great Saiyaman fighting crime for a spin-off series. Make it happen Toriyama

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:11 pm

Ushabtis wrote:Didn't DBZ's final episode show a preview to GT? Will Kai do the same thing with Super?
Most likely, yes. We may also see promos for it during the final few episodes, in addition to the normal Kai next episode previews. Kind of like how Resurrection F and video games are advertised during Kai now.

But at the current rate, it will be a huge shock if anything airs during this week's Kai. Maybe the basic text scroll will say "July 5th" instead of just "July" this time.
-Rachel

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:19 pm

At least we're guaranteed news in V-Jump. Let's hope it leaks a little early. Fingers crossed for something by the 16th.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:43 pm

Beerus-sama wrote: judging by how Goten's line is structured, with that ワ~イ (Waaai) at the begining, sounds like its kid Goten...
Please no.. How many decades can they be stuck as kids :?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:45 pm

Goten and Trunks are probably remaining kids because it makes it easier to market to boys. Replacing them with Pan and Bra would go outside of the franchise's usual target audience.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:46 pm

Which is unfortunate because I'm really curious about what Pan and Bra would be like.
Hell, it's unfortunate for everyone who wants EoZ era.

But then, we got through F with no kids at all.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:56 pm

Figures.
If this takes place after ROF and before EOZ, we will still have Buu arc Goten and Trunks...
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Captain Space

Post by Captain Space » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:57 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Goten and Trunks are probably remaining kids because it makes it easier to market to boys. Replacing them with Pan and Bra would go outside of the franchise's usual target audience.
I mean, Toriyama did get quite firm with his editor about letting Goku grow up. Then again, one story arc later he introduced a new kid hero, and as soon as Gohan grew up we got two more. But anyway, point is the Piccolo Jr. arc did fine so it's not totally impossible.
"Actually I didn’t know what Bulma’s real hair color was" --Toriyama

Tennessaiyan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tennessaiyan » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:00 pm

As much as I prefer to see Trunks and Goten as teens in Super, I can't help but think that some of that unique dynamic would be lost. I would really miss the childish mischief, but man, they have to grow up sometime! And as for Pan and Bra (if we ever actually get to SEE Bra...) I don't think we're going to see a whole lot from them. Who knows though. My record with predictions has been terrible xD

And for fun, what are you guys' top five most-wanted things in Super? Mine are:

1. For the series to at least run up to EoZ (if it starts after F)
2. Vegeta actually killing a main villain
3. Appearance of Bra
4. Lots of adventure with memorable environments
5. Plenty of fun character-based stuff/humor
mogi67 wrote:I kind of view Dragon Ball the same way I view mythology. It can be convoluted, contradictory, but always a treasure.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:20 pm

Beerus-sama wrote:judging by how Goten's line is structured, with that ワ~イ (Waaai) at the begining, sounds like its kid Goten...
Oh, God. Please, no. Let Goten and Trunks grow up already for fucks sake. :problem:

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:25 pm

I don't know I always thought Goten and Trunks were pretty boring characters all grown up, I mean even EoZ Goten is losing to Pan in a fight, and Trunks is really a nobody. Sure We only saw them for a little bit, but I sure as heck wasn't excited about where Toriyama was headed with them.

Captain Space

Post by Captain Space » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:36 pm

Retan wrote:I don't know I always thought Goten and Trunks were pretty boring characters all grown up, I mean even EoZ Goten is losing to Pan in a fight, and Trunks is really a nobody. Sure We only saw them for a little bit, but I sure as heck wasn't excited about where Toriyama was headed with them.
Well, Goten losing to Pan was anime-only, but it wouldn't exactly be unprecedented even so (Gohan being stronger than Goku at age 4 with zero training, Goten and Trunks just going SSJ like it's no big thing).

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:39 pm

I don't think I got to see enough of their older selves to really judge. They could be equally interesting for all I know.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:42 pm

Do you think they are taking this long to release any info because they are actually measuring how the fan base is reacting and making last minute changes accordingly?

:lol:

I think i asked thus a while back, but how is the current take on Goten and Trunks by the japanese? Do the majority of the fanbase want them to grow up too?
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:54 pm

It's before EoZ?... Geez it's starting to go like Metal Gear with all those damn prequels, I only hope it's interesting but.

There's literally no stake in ANYTHING AT ALL, it was like that with the dragon balls, now it's like that with Whis, geez, where has Toriyama's excelent namek arc tension skills go?. When
And before you tell me how DB isn't meant to be serious, I should remind you that Classic DB was excelent and was just as funny (or funnier) than modern dbz but had enough things at stake and serious moments to balance it, atleast if anyone died there was a reaction, it's like Toriyama is trying to not enrich the story with the tension he used to write so well, that is dissapointing for me. And the fact he doesn't wanna move on from EoZ is all the more depressing...

I will still watch Super though, but if it's not after EoZ this will happen in my heart

After EoZ Hype level = 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000*of the charts*
Not after EoZ Hype Level = 1000000
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:06 pm

Oh, I was going by the anime I guess... yep just checked the manga and you are correct, the Pan Vs. Goten crap only happened in the anime.

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:10 pm

i might be remembering things wrong but slightly before the start of the EOZ Bulma says Goku went missing for 5 years because he was training, and Goku never contacted any of his friends during this time. With such a large gap of Goku missing, how would Super handle that long time between ROF and EOZ? (if the Super takes place right after ROF that is).
Jaco the Super Elite with The Great Saiyaman fighting crime for a spin-off series. Make it happen Toriyama

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:11 pm

This has somehow turned into me head-canoning that Trunks' facial hair comes in before Goten's, making him jealous and ending in fake mustaches that get glued on with the wrong type of glue and then shenanigans.

Man, now I really do want some EoZ.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Captain Space

Post by Captain Space » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:13 pm

Black_Liger wrote:It's before EoZ?... Geez it's starting to go like Metal Gear with all those damn prequels, I only hope it's interesting but.
We don't know if it is yet, though it seems probable.