"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:21 pm

Basaku wrote: Here's the thing. We've spent tons of time with Gohan before Saiyaman arc. We saw him grew, transform and accomplish a ton. He 'earned' his near-new-lead position, yet Uub would just jump straight into is solely because he's strong? :?
Believe me, the Gohan thing irks me, but they ruined the character and have no plans of redeeming him, it seems. Uub was implied to be a successor to Goku, and we even see a pretty symbolic image in the Kanzenban ending. Uub can prevail where Gohan failed. Of course, it's up to them to make him worthy of the role and develop him into a likable character.

But again, he shouldn't outright replace Goku either. That wouldn't sit well with anyone.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:23 pm

Man... Fukkatsu no F doesn't hit theatres here until August, but I want to watch Super. :(
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:25 pm

Doctor. wrote:
SansrivaaL wrote:
Doctor. wrote:I just want them to let Goku go already. Yes, he's the main character, but that doesn't matter. If they intend to make Dragon Ball a long-running series that goes on for decades without an end, either reboot it or get a new protagonist before it becomes the new Pokémon, with a never-aging protagonist who doesn't change or learn from his mistakes.
You mean like Conan/Doraemon/Shinchan? and do you only want Goku to be removed?
I don't know how those franchises operate, so I don't know. No, I'm talking about the entire main cast. If Super goes on for quite awhile, I'll be sad just to see the exact same characters getting the spotlight.

I'd want this to become a franchise similar to JJBA if Super is not going to be the last product. If it is and no more series will be made in the future, then keep Goku & co around all you want.
IMO they're worst than Pokemon.... Hmmm that would be interesting but I have this feeling that DBS will probably be the last DB series, and at least the cast actually grows old (with the exception of Goku and Vegeta appearance wise) Conan's been a 7yrs old for 700+ep....

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:28 pm

Speaking of the Kanzenban ending, I wonder if Kai is gonna adapt that one instead of just re-using footage from the old DBZ ending. The animation style would probably shift dramatically, but at least they would do something right.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:30 pm

Doctor. wrote:Speaking of the Kanzenban ending, I wonder if Kai is gonna adapt that one instead of just re-using footage from the old DBZ ending. The animation style would probably shift dramatically, but at least they would do something right.
lol...nah.

Maybe we get an image of Uub riding the nimbus during an intermission, but that's it.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:34 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:Uub was implied to be a successor to Goku, and we even see a pretty symbolic image in the Kanzenban ending.
Which is a problem in itself. New character pop up and gets instantly labeled as the lead-successor? Right after which the series ends and we're left with a hint that a new character we barely know anything about and saw for 2 chapters is suppoused to live in oour head-canon as the answer to "what happened next". I don't really think it was a good ending primarly because of that, I would be fine if Toriyama picked anybody else, heck, hand over the 'reigns' to Bulma, her intelligence is enough to save the entire universe from anything.

SMKirbyZX
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SMKirbyZX » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:39 pm

Basaku wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:Uub was implied to be a successor to Goku, and we even see a pretty symbolic image in the Kanzenban ending.
Which is a problem in itself. New character pop up and gets instantly labeled as the lead-successor? Right after which the series ends and we're left with a hint that a new character we barely know anything about and saw for 2 chapters is suppoused to live in oour head-canon as the answer to "what happened next". I don't really think it was a good ending primarly because of that, I would be fine if Toriyama picked anybody else, heck, hand over the 'reigns' to Bulma, her intelligence is enough to save the entire universe from anything.
Well Oob does show an interest in fighting stronger opponents, like Goku.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:39 pm

Basaku wrote:Which is a problem in itself. New character pop up and gets instantly labeled as the lead-successor? Right after which the series ends and we're left with a hint that a new character we barely know anything about and saw for 2 chapters is suppoused to live in oour head-canon as the answer to "what happened next". I don't really think it was a good ending primarly because of that, I would be fine if Toriyama picked anybody else, heck, hand over the 'reigns' to Bulma, her intelligence is enough to save the entire universe from anything.
Well, I can't disagree with that, but what's done is done. I also wish Gohan was better developed after the Cell Games instead giving us a new Gohan who doesn't train after a 7 year gap, but it is what it is. =P

Now we have Uub. I wouldn't want him dumped aside like they did in GT. I really want this character explored, and explored well.
He was just there for the prize money. Don't be surprised if he has a Gohan moment one day, and starts blurting out how much he detests fighting.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:43 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote: Now we have Uub. I wouldn't want him dumped aside like they did in GT. I really want this character explored, and explored well.
I don't disagree, but there's a big difference between that and taking over the franchise completly as the new lead. He needs major developement before he should be even considered as a possible succesor.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:44 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:He was just there for the prize money. Don't be surprised if he has a Gohan moment one day, and starts blurting out how much he detests fighting.
Yes but Oob also gets excited when Goku asks him if he wants to fight strong opponents.

Not to mention that Oob was the strongest of his village, normal kids don't get into fights with adults so I'm not sure how they'd know that unless he was an active fighter.

SMKirbyZX
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SMKirbyZX » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:47 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
He was just there for the prize money. Don't be surprised if he has a Gohan moment one day, and starts blurting out how much he detests fighting.
I meant when the fight was over. Plus, Oob is more similar to Goku in a few ways. I don't think he'll have a Gohan moment.

Avery
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avery » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:48 pm

SansrivaaL wrote: IMO they're worst than Pokemon.... Hmmm that would be interesting but I have this feeling that DBS will probably be the last DB series, and at least the cast actually grows old (with the exception of Goku and Vegeta appearance wise) Conan's been a 7yrs old for 700+ep....
Lol. Conan's apparent immortality annoyed me so much that I wrote a long article about it a year ago.

On a side note, why the hell did Toriyama make Bulma an ugly hag at EOZ ? Future Bulma still looked pretty even for an old woman.
An angry Final Fantasy fan wrote: And after all the outrage, when I'm ready, I'll go out on to GameStop and buy a Persona 5 copy. And when my mother finds me investing my precious time trying to bond with this hot anime girl, I'll look straight into her eyes and say "but have you looked at the menu screen? have you actually seen the menu screen? In that very moment, she knows. She fucking knows. As she handles me the nugget pieces she previously cooked for me, she leaves my room with these words: "Persona 5 is the true savior of the JRPG".
VegettoEX wrote: In a blunt nutshell, no-one wants to read bullshit. Don't post bullshit. Be a cool person that posts cool things that other people would actually want to read. Don't be Zamasu from episode 63 talking to himself.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:52 pm

Avery wrote:
SansrivaaL wrote: IMO they're worst than Pokemon.... Hmmm that would be interesting but I have this feeling that DBS will probably be the last DB series, and at least the cast actually grows old (with the exception of Goku and Vegeta appearance wise) Conan's been a 7yrs old for 700+ep....
Lol. Conan's apparent immortality annoyed me so much that I wrote a long article about it a year ago.

On a side note, why the hell did Toriyama make Bulma an ugly hag at EOZ ? Future Bulma still looked pretty even for an old woman.
It's because of the hair :lol:

Her face is exactly like Future Bulma's otherwise.

And looking at Resurrection 'F', Bulma looks the prettiest there than ever in the series, for some reason.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:52 pm

I'm completely on board of starting to give Uub a stellar role over Gohan and Goten. I already gave the In-Universe reason, but the practical reason is simple: Nozawa's age. We don't know how long she will stay around. Goku, Gohan and Goten are tied to her fate. The franchise will be either need to find a replacement to continue the story (I really find it difficult for the Japanese to accept another VA as Goku) or... Toei could gradually start passing the lead role to other characters while they still have the chance to do it.

This is why Uub, Pan and Bra + new character would be the ideal choice to start developing.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:58 pm

Basaku wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote: Now we have Uub. I wouldn't want him dumped aside like they did in GT. I really want this character explored, and explored well.
I don't disagree, but there's a big difference between that and taking over the franchise completly as the new lead. He needs major developement before he should be even considered as a possible succesor.
Yeah, that's why I said co-lead. I want a mini-Uub arc that focuses on him and his interactions with the others, but moving onto a major saga, the focus should be distributed.

Like I mentioned, I'd like Uub to serve as the audience's lens into the DBZ world. Kind of like a first person view into it through the eyes of someone as foreign to it as we are. So even though that particular arc would be mainly centered around Uub, we also see what the others are up to through his interactions with them as he meets them.

The last thing I would ever want is what they did in GT: "Hey, remember that kid Goku flew off to train? Look, there he is! Well, his training is done. Now for some Goku time, but no worries, Uub has joined the ranks of the cannon fodder you're all used to!"
Doctor. wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:He was just there for the prize money. Don't be surprised if he has a Gohan moment one day, and starts blurting out how much he detests fighting.
Yes but Oob also gets excited when Goku asks him if he wants to fight strong opponents.

Not to mention that Oob was the strongest of his village, normal kids don't get into fights with adults so I'm not sure how they'd know that unless he was an active fighter.
It's very possible his village organized a sort of mini-tournament to determine who the strongest is to represent them in the tenkaichi budokai; they may have only had enough money to send out one fighter. Uub entered for the sake of his family, the crowd laughed, he shocked them, and sought out to win.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:00 pm

I've always wondered why even though I love Goku so much, he's been pissing me off. But the comparisons has really answered that question. Especially the Ash Ketchum one. I do not want Goku to be the next Ash Ketchum or John Cena. I want Goku to feel legendary....but he just feels old. Goku doesn't have to leave, but I want a new cast of faces to be the next generation. I love the next generation as it makes the previous one reach legendary status and feel monumental. It's like that feeling when Muten Roshi finally starts fighting, and it's incredible. Every time in Dragon Ball it was great when he fought, and then he eventually let a new wave of fighters join. I know it's personal preference as some people hate new protagonists, so this action would leave a divided fan base. I would maybe like then at least a future like series that maybe could coincide with the past, so we can have the old and a new generation.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:00 pm

Re: pokémon

I remember being so upset when they replaced Brock/Takeshi with Tracey/Kenji. As a result, the me of that time resented Tracey and never could enjoy the character. Brock wasn't even a favorite or anything, I liked Satoshi/Ash. To be fair I did stick it out through the Orange Islands and only left at the start of Johto, even after they brought back Brock, but that was because the plot began repeating itself imo at the time.
Man, if they'd jettisoned Kasumi/Misty when they temp-dropped (and at the time I had no way of knowing it was temporary) Brock, I would've dropped the show then and there. I'm happy I left before they retired Misty.

That said, I do conversely think they should've dumped the whole cast of pokémon and rebooted with a full new cast each time a new set of games came out. No reason for Ash to still be the lead. He should've been retired ages ago.

Dragon Ball, however, is not Pokémon. They're different beasts from each other. Pokémon isn't about the trainers, it's more about the world, where I feel Dragon Ball is more about the characters. Remove and replace the characters I follow the series for and I just stop watching altogether. If they got rid of Gokû and Vegeta and replaced them, I'd retire from the series too. I just don't have a strong enough interest in DB's world. They'd need to stick around at least as secondary characters for me to care at all.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Captain Space

Post by Captain Space » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:07 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:I've always wondered why even though I love Goku so much, he's been pissing me off. But the comparisons has really answered that question. Especially the Ash Ketchum one. I do not want Goku to be the next Ash Ketchum or John Cena. I want Goku to feel legendary....but he just feels old. Goku doesn't have to leave, but I want a new cast of faces to be the next generation. I love the next generation as it makes the previous one reach legendary status and feel monumental. It's like that feeling when Muten Roshi finally starts fighting, and it's incredible. Every time in Dragon Ball it was great when he fought, and then he eventually let a new wave of fighters join. I know it's personal preference as some people hate new protagonists, so this action would leave a divided fan base. I would maybe like then at least a future like series that maybe could coincide with the past, so we can have the old and a new generation.
That's a good point. If there were new generations taking the helm for most of the time, it'd be an event when Goku did occasionally step back into the ring. Like meeting Red in a later Pokemon game, Kamen Rider #1 appearing for a team-up, Earth-2 Superman...
"Actually I didn’t know what Bulma’s real hair color was" --Toriyama

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:12 pm

Chuquita wrote: If they got rid of Gokû and Vegeta and replaced them, I'd retire from the series too
Goku&Vegeta=DB so they're not going anywhere any time soon.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:18 pm

The prospect of a new generation is refreshing.
Main characters:Bra, Uub and Pan; side characters:Goten, Trunks, Piccolo, Gohan and Videl. And the odd appearance of the old cast. I would probably enjoy this show.

That being said take away Vegeta , Goku etc... And I would be crushed! But Dragon Ball is constantly adding new characters and throwing others to the side. Honestly Goku didn't feature that much in DBZ for a main. It's possible to replace everyone and just let Goku and Vegeta kick someone in the face once in a while and we maybe wouldn't even notice it much.