"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Avery
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Avery » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:12 am

Wh-whaat?! I completely forgot about Neko Majin. Really, Akira? -_-
Looking forward to this set of cats..err...gods.
An angry Final Fantasy fan wrote: And after all the outrage, when I'm ready, I'll go out on to GameStop and buy a Persona 5 copy. And when my mother finds me investing my precious time trying to bond with this hot anime girl, I'll look straight into her eyes and say "but have you looked at the menu screen? have you actually seen the menu screen? In that very moment, she knows. She fucking knows. As she handles me the nugget pieces she previously cooked for me, she leaves my room with these words: "Persona 5 is the true savior of the JRPG".
VegettoEX wrote: In a blunt nutshell, no-one wants to read bullshit. Don't post bullshit. Be a cool person that posts cool things that other people would actually want to read. Don't be Zamasu from episode 63 talking to himself.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:16 am

NEW THEORY: the plot of Super is designed so that it matches the time Resurrection 'F' will be aired on TV (one year after its theatrical release), with the traditionnal extra scenes to make smooth transitions between the show and the movie counting as a "super-episode".

That would make sense for those who didn't go to the cinema and are waiting to see it on TV, otherwise it would be confusing to the casual viewer.
Super episodes happening before the movie --> Movie airing with extra scenes rounding up the transition from what we know from Super --> Super episodes happening after the movie.

Therefore:
- The Super episodes shown before the movie airs will explain how Vegeta attained God, how the duo came to train with Whis and why, how they got their new costumes, how they first discovered their new Super Saiyan God SS form, all of it possibly being with a specific threat for that pre-movie era.
- Then the movie is broadcast on TV feeling as another episode of the show, only much longer than usual.
- Then the Super episodes starts from where the movie left off.
Last edited by Cold Skin on Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:20 am

TheGmGoken wrote: Change what? Gohan screentime or distant from fighting?
Distant from fighting,he doesn't have to be the strongest but him being able to fight would add more to the character roster which as of now is only 2.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:21 am

I reeeaaally hope this doesn't just cover pre-FnF and then wraps up. I really felt there was a reason "Z" wasn't in the title... please don't disappoint me, Toriyama & co. The original series' did time-skips, sooo I guess there isn't any reason to think that won't happen here. I'm half expecting this to flesh out the midway point between the two films (how Vegeta achieves SSJG, how they both achieve SSJGSSJ, why Whis is training them, etc.), then do a big-ass time skip post-manga. The idea of creating a brand new series and simply still loitering around the Buu arc is just frustrating as all hell. We've already had an entire story arc, several movies from the 90's, the 2008 Jump special, and BoG/FnF. I've seen quite enough of toddler Goten and Trunks, thank you very much. A new series with a new name and yet another extension of Buu? What a tease. I do not need to see every single second that takes place after Kid Buu is defeated.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Rukura

Post by Rukura » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:31 am

Lapis wrote:I didn't think the other God of Destruction would looks so similar to Beerus.
Lapis wrote:Beerus' brother
Incidentally, the website makes absolutely no reference to him being either of those things.

For all we know, he's just of the same species. We know that the Kaioshin are all born Kaioshin, but Dende wasn't born God of Earth. We also have Super Saiyan Gods now. We know very little of what a God of Destruction actually is, and even less about Whis.

For all we know right now, he could be Beerus' older cousin that failed to become God of Destruction.

EDIT: Re:Making no sense to make the series before F, marketting-wise
I completely agree. It's the hot new thing, being advertised everywhere. The transformations, the outfits, the possibilities, none being capitalized on IF that's the case. The artwork on the site and teaser make me think that's actually gonna be the case, though.
Last edited by Rukura on Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:31 am

Ok, I change my mind. Cold Skin's theory is actually really logical sounding. If they did that, I'd have no problem with it. :D
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:36 am

Avery wrote:Wait...if fat Beerus and Whissy are the only villains (I guess for the first arc), then how will Gohan, Piccolo and everyone else aside from Goku and Vegeta manage to be relevant? No henchmen this time, right?
If they're really from another universe like people are speculating, we likely will get some non-god characters from there too, so they could fight the remaining cast members.
That would make sense for those who didn't go to the cinema and are waiting to see it on TV, otherwise it would be confusing to the casual viewer.
RoF seems like complete filler though, in a way. From our point of view, it introduced a new form and Goku and Vegeta training with Whis, but, in universe, none of that was new at the time of the movie. Super could show Goku and Vegeta starting their training with Whis and also gaining SSJGSS without needing to reference RoF's events at all.
Last edited by Neon Z on Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rukura

Post by Rukura » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:37 am

Cold Skin wrote:Super episodes happening before the movie --> Movie airing with extra scenes rounding up the transition from what we know from Super --> Super episodes happening after the movie.
Considered that possibility, as well.

But since when do we know Toriyama for planning so far ahead like that?
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

Lapis

Post by Lapis » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:38 am

Rukura wrote:
Lapis wrote:I didn't think the other God of Destruction would looks so similar to Beerus.
Lapis wrote:Beerus' brother
Incidentally, the website makes absolutely no reference to him being either of those things.

For all we know, he's just of the same species. We know that the Kaioshin are all born Kaioshin, but Dende wasn't born God of Earth. We also have Super Saiyan Gods now. We know very little of what a God of Destruction actually is, and even less about Whis.

For all we know right now, he could be Beerus' older cousin that failed to become God of Destruction.
There is no reference, I'm just making stuff up. But I guess it's easy to assume that he is another God of Destruction since Whis' "counterpart" is also visible. And the Beerus looking guy has an evil grin on his face while holding planet earth with one finger. Seems like someone who likes to destroy..

Avery
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avery » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:39 am

Cold Skin wrote:NEW THEORY: the plot of Super is designed so that it matches the time Resurrection 'F' will be aired on TV (one year after its theatrical release), with the traditionnal extra scenes to make smooth transitions between the show and the movie counting as a "super-episode".

Super episodes happening before the movie --> Movie airing with extra scenes rounding up the transition from what we know from Super --> Super episodes happening after the movie.

Therefore:
- The Super episodes shown before the movie airs will explain how Vegeta attained God, how the duo came to train with Whis and why, how they got their new costumes, how they first discovered their new Super Saiyan God SS form, all of it possibly being with a specific threat for that pre-movie era.
- Then the movie is broadcast on TV feeling as another episode of the show, only much longer than usual.
- Then the Super episodes starts from where the movie left off.
This sounds logical. Presuming the pre-movie era is the first arc, It will be pretty long...at least for newer fans.

As for the first chapter, I really hope it gets more than just 15 pages. I'm used to reading monthly manga and the last 15-page chapter I read was Naruto 599 back in 2012.
An angry Final Fantasy fan wrote: And after all the outrage, when I'm ready, I'll go out on to GameStop and buy a Persona 5 copy. And when my mother finds me investing my precious time trying to bond with this hot anime girl, I'll look straight into her eyes and say "but have you looked at the menu screen? have you actually seen the menu screen? In that very moment, she knows. She fucking knows. As she handles me the nugget pieces she previously cooked for me, she leaves my room with these words: "Persona 5 is the true savior of the JRPG".
VegettoEX wrote: In a blunt nutshell, no-one wants to read bullshit. Don't post bullshit. Be a cool person that posts cool things that other people would actually want to read. Don't be Zamasu from episode 63 talking to himself.

Makai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Makai » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:42 am

Is there anything they can do to make the characters more relevant if this is set before F? Cause they really don't even do much in the movie.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:46 am

Rukura wrote:But since when do we know Toriyama for planning so far ahead like that?
It's not surprising considering he enjoys working on the franchise now.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Rukura

Post by Rukura » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:48 am

Lapis wrote:There is no reference, I'm just making stuff up. But I guess it's easy to assume that he is another God of Destruction since Whis' "counterpart" is also visible. And the Beerus looking guy has an evil grin on his face while holding planet earth with one finger. Seems like someone who likes to destroy..
Which is probably why he's refered to as such in the news update on the site, my point is that we don't know. We know as much about Whis as we know about Kibito, who served the (almost) the same role as Whis.

Him looking like someone who likes to destroy can make him as much of a God of Destruction as a regular ol' villain.
sintzu wrote:
Rukura wrote:But since when do we know Toriyama for planning so far ahead like that?
It's not surprising considering he enjoys working on the franchise now.
It's not gonna make him a completely different writer, though.
My theory is that he might be making it between things so that he physically can't surpass a certain point, therefore can't even force himself to overdo it with this new series.
We also have Toyatarou adapting this into a manga. Since when is he doing long running things on a regular schedule?

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:51 am

BOG premiered on Japenese TV almost exactly a year after theatrical release (March 2013/March 2014). I sure hope F movie is slated for similar slot, March 2016, and that Super shows skips post-F after the movie airs. I would hate to be stucked in-between BOG-ROF period for too long. Assuming weekly episodes and March 2016 premiere for ROF on TV, Super will have about 36+ episodes in that period. That's loooong, the show may have tons of unnecessary filler and glacial pacing.

I hope after TV airing of F and Super skipping time to post-F, we will have Movie #3 slated for July 2016 release to wrap up the entire Gods era. 3 movies and 52 episodes would be far more than enough to cover it. If it goes on for 2 years with 100+ episodes, it would be the longest saga ever in DB history which 100% means tons of filler and dragging even worse than the original Buu saga broadcast.

BlackCatScott
Regular

Post by BlackCatScott » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:53 am

So the first thing I did this morning when I got up was jump onto my phone...switch my alarm off... and go back to sleep. But then I got back up, and the first thing I did then was check if the Super website had gone live. I seen the new poster/banner on the site. My eyes were still half shut at the time, so I initially thought they were both shots of Beerus or I was seeing double. I left it to get ready but when I got back to my phone and had woken up a little bit, I noticed that it wasn't Beerus but a completely new character and I was just like "Ohhhh". It wasn't until somebody pointed it out on this thread that I seen the lady Whis... bizarre :lol:

I'm happy that they look to be going ahead with the storyline we were teased in Battle of Gods. That's what it looks like anyway. I had started to fear that we would never see or hear of it again. Never thought that the other Gods of destruction would resemble Beerus so closely... I had expected a completely different design for some reason - but this makes sense. It's so simple and so Toriyama. I really do like it and I'm eager to see more.

Regarding the timeline - I'm not bothered either way. They appear to be wearing their Battle of Gods gear. If it's set after Resurrection F (?) it's a shame that Goku + Vegeta have reverted from their new looks because I loved both of the designs on those. Hope we see them wearing that again at some point.

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:56 am

I saw the teaser.Seems goku has his 2008 special outfit and goes golden ssj.Shouldnt he be blue if its after ROF?

Or maybe this will take place right after the buu saga?

Still will be cool either way.Seeing them again and fighting.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:00 am

What do we think is more likely?

- Super 30+ episodes before ROF up until around March 2016
- ROF premiere on Japanese TV around March 2016
- Remaining Super episodes until July 2016 cover events post-ROF up until Movie #3
- Movie #3 premieres in July 2016 to cap the "Gods" arc

OR

- Super 30+ episodes before ROF
- ROF premiere on Japanese TV around March 2016
- From March to 2016 to 2017 Super covers events between ROF and Movie #3
- Movie #3 premieres in 2017 to cap the "Gods" arc (either in Spring or July slot)

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:03 am

^ I'd say the second one.
With a weekly new series to produce, I don't see them eager to have a movie getting in their way and taking some time and budget from the show.
I think they'll bother doing the next movie once they don't have to produce episodes from the series anymore. But I may be wrong, I don't know much about how anime work.

So both your possibilities are up, but if the third movie is supposed to close the Gods arc, that will simply depend on if they feel they still have ideas for adventures with Gods or if they feel that it will soon be a pinch.
Last edited by Cold Skin on Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Captain Space

Post by Captain Space » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:04 am

RE: Lady-Whis

Please be at least as strong/relevant as Whis, and not just his tagalong useless little sister or something...
"Actually I didn’t know what Bulma’s real hair color was" --Toriyama

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:04 am

Well, this is new. This is interesting, this is definitely interesting and I'm more curious about the female Whis than anything, the fat Beerus is kind of meh, I'm not too excited to have him as an antagonist (at least it looks like he is), I'm not sure anyone would prefer him to our Beerus until we see him in action and even then I doubt it because a design plays a big part in someone liking a character, too. What I'm interested in is obviously their origin, if they're related to the Beerus and Whis we know, if they're from a parallel universe or if they came out of nowhere. The time period is iffy at this point too, I wouldn't mind it being placed between BoG and F just as long we get to see all the major stuff: Goku and Vegeta training with Whis, going SSGSS, Gohan losing his powers, etc.

Either way, a question about continuity rises up. If this is before F, then the question remains of why Beerus is awake. And if Beerus and Whis knew about these beings before then the question also remains of why Beerus told Goku he was the second strongest fighter he'd met. Not terribly excited, but not bored either, this is neat.