"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:51 pm

Avery wrote:I don't get it. Back in the 80s when Toriyama decided to make Goku grow up the only person who had a problem with that was his editor...and he was the main character. Why is it necessary to have the "cute kids" among the main cast nowadays?
That was the 80's, things are way different now then it was 30 years ago. Kids who watch Dragon Ball in Japan are around the ages of 4 - 10 and someone like Goten & Trunks fit their age group. They have someone that they can somewhat relate too. I think Goten was likely created since Gohan was going to be a young adult and Toriyama's editors most likely wanted a new child character to go along with Trunks. With a post-EOZ setting, you would mainly have Uub. Pan and Bulla may not work since Bandai may feel like young boys won't buy toys of girl characters. That's why toys of female Kamen Riders hardly sell well because the younger boys want to play with the male characters instead.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:53 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I have a feeling that Toriyama wants to leave no stone unturned during the 10 year gap and it seems as though Super is gonna start of by filling in the gaps between the 2008 OVA, BOG and ROF.
Which is great cause it'll make the movies seem like parts of an arc instead of being standalone stories.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:58 pm

ssjjanemba wrote:18 more days of waiting, and then we get to finally see some fat beerus!
And female Whis. Don't forget female Whis. :wink:

Beerus-sama
Advanced Regular

Post by Beerus-sama » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:01 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
ssjjanemba wrote:18 more days of waiting, and then we get to finally see some fat beerus!
And female Whis. Don't forget female Whis. :wink:
I dont think they're going to be shown in the first episode... but maybe there will be a glimpse?
Sleeping until the tournament is over.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:06 pm

I can't wait until Julian, Kei, or Herms is able to clear everything up. It's possible that could happen as soon as this evening, EST.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:11 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:They have someone that they can somewhat relate too. I think Goten was likely created since Gohan was going to be a young adult and Toriyama's editors most likely wanted a new child character to go along with Trunks. With a post-EOZ setting, you would mainly have Uub. Pan and Bullamay not work since Bandai may feel like young boys won't buy toys of girl characters.
While i understand the marketing point of view. I don't understand the fear of it. All they'd have to do is add some more characters. Its not like it hasn't happened in DBZ before. We have Tarble, make him have a (saiyan body type) son and have him come to earth to meet his uncle. Uub literally comes out of nowhere, have another super powered boy come out of nowhere. Also they could go GT route and have a popular character be reverted to a kid again. Instead of Goku being a kid, how about Gohan (everyone loves teen Gohan) or Vegeta for an arc or something? That could sell some toys that way.
Jaco the Super Elite with The Great Saiyaman fighting crime for a spin-off series. Make it happen Toriyama

Captain Space
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Captain Space » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:13 pm

Once again, F is doing just fine without such a character.
"Actually I didn’t know what Bulma’s real hair color was" --Toriyama

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:15 pm

They could give Pan a younger brother if they did a post-28th Tenkachi Budokai setting. Seeing if this show is set between BOG and ROF then I do think Super will likely have a pretty short run. I don't see them doing a 50 episode series in a one year setting. I also guess that makes Freeza the final villain in DBZ for now if Super is before ROF.
She/Her

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:24 pm

I feel like they'd be introducing a character for the wrong reasons. It gets all real life issues if they give new young (and probably lighter skinned) boy character priority over the already established EoZ girls and darker skin boy. They do that and it will become a thing. Having Pan, Uub, and Bra there promote diversity.

I want EoZ Trunks and Goten, but not at the expense of a possible Scrappy Doo, or worse.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:28 pm

I still wish it was set after ROF since it would be odd to ignore a powerful character that try to destroy the Earth less then a year ago in ROF. I know Super was written afterwards, but in a universe perspective it comes off odd to me.
She/Her

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:29 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Avery wrote:I don't get it. Back in the 80s when Toriyama decided to make Goku grow up the only person who had a problem with that was his editor...and he was the main character. Why is it necessary to have the "cute kids" among the main cast nowadays?
That was the 80's, things are way different now then it was 30 years ago. Kids who watch Dragon Ball in Japan are around the ages of 4 - 10 and someone like Goten & Trunks fit their age group. They have someone that they can somewhat relate too.
I feel this is a very flawed perspective among business executives who don't know any better. As a child, I could care less about a kid my age in a show I watch. On the contrary, I want an adult (or teenager) I can look up to and aspire to become like.

I've seen them introducing kids into shows for this reason many times, and not once has it worked: Justin from Power Rangers Turbo, Chibi-Usa from Sailor Moon (I liked her though...), Kid Goku from GT, etc.

I first saw Kid Goten and Trunks when I was like 9, and I didn't like them at all. I wanted Future Trunks, not his kid version. Ironically, I'm more fond of them now, as an adult.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Captain Space
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Captain Space » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:34 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote: I feel this is a very flawed perspective among business executives who don't know any better. As a child, I could care less about a kid my age in a show I watch. On the contrary, I want an adult (or teenager) I can look up to and aspire to become like.

I've seen them introducing kids into shows for this reason many times, and not once has it worked: Justin from Power Rangers Turbo, Chibi-Usa from Sailor Moon (I liked her though...), Kid Goku from GT, etc.

I first saw Kid Goten and Trunks when I was like 9, and I didn't like them at all. I wanted Future Trunks, not his kid version. Ironically, I'm more fond of them now, as an adult.
Yeah, pretty much this. I mean...it may be a cultural difference, but as a kid my heroes tended to be teenage or adult characters, and that was reflected in the toys I bought...for instance I had like five Batman toys and one Robin, and even that one was only because it came with one of the Batmen. And I think I'm probably not alone here?
"Actually I didn’t know what Bulma’s real hair color was" --Toriyama

Beerus-sama
Advanced Regular

Post by Beerus-sama » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:39 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote: That was the 80's, things are way different now then it was 30 years ago. Kids who watch Dragon Ball in Japan are around the ages of 4 - 10 and someone like Goten & Trunks fit their age group. They have someone that they can somewhat relate too.
I feel this is a very flawed perspective among business executives who don't know any better. As a child, I could care less about a kid my age in a show I watch. On the contrary, I want an adult (or teenager) I can look up to and aspire to become like.

Maybe is not much the thought that a kid would relate to the characters that look like their age, but that the kids see that there are characters that look or act like their age so that they feel like the show is for them aswell and not just for adults as it appears to be since most of the characters are adults...
Sleeping until the tournament is over.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:55 pm

SansrivaaL wrote:I doubt Gohan and Videl would have s*x before getting married tho. I mean their characters doesnt fit it (but maybe thats just me)
Ushabtis wrote:I was just about to post this same thought. Gohan never would strike me the kind of guy to do something like that, same with Videl.
:shock:
The wording (specially the words "the kind of guy") seems to imply that you think that premarital sex is a bad thing. I mean, haven't we already gone past that?

Outside of Master Roshi's antics and some humour in the early sagas, Dragon Ball has never really brought that topic up: it's not really important for the story, and I honestly can't see how it would/wouldn't fit them.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:57 pm

Isn't premarital sex a bad thing just in religious families?

I'm pretty sure Dende isn't going to crucify them for that... :?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:59 pm

Accurate scan translation on the way: https://mobile.twitter.com/VegettoEX/st ... 4251465729
Thank you to Kanzenshuu in advance.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:00 pm

Doctor. wrote:Isn't premarital sex a bad thing just in religious families?

I'm pretty sure Dende isn't going to crucify them for that... :?
They're both going to HFIL now. xD
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Avery
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avery » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:04 pm

Here's a really stupid question but...exactly what audience is Dragon Ball aimed at? If it's aimed at kids then why does it contain so much adult content (i.e nudity, violence... etc), especially in the manga?
I know the television rating system in Japan is somewhat different from the western system, but I don't think they'd allow 10-year-old kids to watch something like that.
An angry Final Fantasy fan wrote: And after all the outrage, when I'm ready, I'll go out on to GameStop and buy a Persona 5 copy. And when my mother finds me investing my precious time trying to bond with this hot anime girl, I'll look straight into her eyes and say "but have you looked at the menu screen? have you actually seen the menu screen? In that very moment, she knows. She fucking knows. As she handles me the nugget pieces she previously cooked for me, she leaves my room with these words: "Persona 5 is the true savior of the JRPG".
VegettoEX wrote: In a blunt nutshell, no-one wants to read bullshit. Don't post bullshit. Be a cool person that posts cool things that other people would actually want to read. Don't be Zamasu from episode 63 talking to himself.

Weedity

Post by Weedity » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:05 pm

They definitely shouldn't cater this show towards children anymore. Most children I talk to hardly know what Dragon Ball even is. The shows main audience is between 18-28 now if I'm not mistaken.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:10 pm

Weedity wrote:They definitely shouldn't cater this show towards children anymore. Most children I talk to hardly know what Dragon Ball even is. The shows main audience is between 18-28 now if I'm not mistaken.
It really isn't, it's being aimed at kids. The original manga grew with its audience, while this anime was created to get a new generation of viewers. Dragon Ball is not being targeted at adults, not by a long shot. Kids and young teens (12-15), yes.