"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:38 pm

Chuquita wrote:
UpFromTheSkies wrote:Nothing in that synopsis contradicts BoG, it will fit perfectly between Beerus' breakfast with Whis and his conversation with the Oracle Fish.
That's true, there are gaps where Beerus could be off doing destruction stuff.

Why a prologue to BOG then? The mystery thickens.
The weirdest part would be that this "prologue" would be technically an interquel, while it would show what Goku was doing before he went to Kaio's world, it also shows that that might have happened after Beerus woke up and then Beerus's scene takes place a little bit into BoG.
I need to know more!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:45 pm

Wow, Dragon Ball Super might just be a complete retelling of the previous two movies? Y'know what, I don't mind. This leaves room for spontaneity.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:46 pm

Chuquita wrote:
UpFromTheSkies wrote:Nothing in that synopsis contradicts BoG, it will fit perfectly between Beerus' breakfast with Whis and his conversation with the Oracle Fish.

It's probably to develop Beerus and Whis' characters more, we really don't know much about them, and it fits in with the movie perfectly...

Goku gets a job farming -> Beerus wakes up and talks to Whis about his dream -> The Kaioshins discuss Beerus waking up -> Goku starts training on Kaio's planet -> Beerus goes off to destroy a planet and then returns home and talks to the Oracle Fish

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:55 pm

I really like the idea of Super expanding on the two most recent films. More than anything, I want this show to do its own thing, but if this first arc can provide some additional context (and possibly answer some of those nagging questions that prevent certain fans from enjoying those movies), then I'm all for it. Hopefully this first episode spends more time on enjoyable "everyday life" antics than anything else. The dinosaur shots worry me; inserting "action for action's sake" is always when the Z cartoon was at its worst. Nobody wants to see yet another territorial pteranodon / saber tiger / monster antagonizing our heroes just so we can meet some imaginary quota for "excitement" each week.

Judging from what we've learned so far, the idea seems to be that if this takes place before "Resurrection 'F,' the production staff can safely tell a story while keeping those "five years" that Bulma mentioned as peaceful as possible. Thus, nothing is contradicted (or at least, that's the goal).

Really hoping additional arcs move past the epilogue.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

TJVY
Beyond Newbie

Post by TJVY » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:00 am

I'm pretty happy about the new information, particularly the timeline this series will follow. I just wonder how much after RoF we will see and if it will extend past EoZ.

Time will tell.
"It's not anime that sucks, it's the fans."

SSJGFrieza
Banned

Post by SSJGFrieza » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:00 am

ugh why does this matter?

We'll never go past EoZ because AT and Toei are too scared too.
Linda Young 4 lyfe

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:02 am

What I'm most interested in is what happens between BoG and RoF. If I had to guess, I'd say fat Beerus shows up wanting to meet the people who convinced (his brother?) Beerus not to destroy their planet; maybe he thinks Beerus failed to do his job and he needs to finish it for him, and this is when Vegeta becomes a SSG for the first time.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:08 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, what a weird starting point for the series if that is what it is, so are we looking at a short recap of BoG after that and then the next couple of episodes linking BoG and RF? I'm so friggen curious.
It's true that none of the synopsis, at least, contradicts Battle of Gods.

Beerus wakes up -> Beerus has breakfast and remembers SSG -> Beerus talks to Yogengyo -> Beerus goes to Kaio's and Earth

You can slide the events of the Super chapter synopsis in between him waking up and having breakfast, or breakfast and his talk with the fish, without any actual issues. Though it does slightly hurt what seems to have been a fairly clear intention for the logical progression of events in the movie itself.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:09 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote:What I'm most interested in is what happens between BoG and RoF. If I had to guess, I'd say fat Beerus shows up wanting to meet the people who convinced (his brother?) Beerus not to destroy their planet; maybe he thinks Beerus failed to do his job and he needs to finish it for him, and this is when Vegeta becomes a SSG for the first time.
I was also thinking Fat Beerus shows up because he thinks Beerus is too soft so he is going to destroy Earth and then there is a big battle and that's the "Raditz" moment of the series.
Also post battle joke about how the only reason Beerus helped in the fight was because he wanted to try more Earth food.
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, what a weird starting point for the series if that is what it is, so are we looking at a short recap of BoG after that and then the next couple of episodes linking BoG and RF? I'm so friggen curious.
It's true that none of the synopsis, at least, contradicts Battle of Gods.

Beerus wakes up -> Beerus has breakfast and remembers SSG -> Beerus talks to Yogengyo -> Beerus goes to Kaio's and Earth

You can slide the events of the Super chapter synopsis in between him waking up and having breakfast, or breakfast and his talk with the fish, without any actual issues. Though it does slightly hurt what seems to have been a fairly clear intention for the logical progression of events in the movie itself.
I see what you're saying, but I don't think it does too much damage to say that after waking up Beerus let the Super Saiyan God thing stew in his brain for a bit longer and went about a little business.

Or maybe weirdly that scene is in the past and when he goes back home he decides to sleep for 39 years.
I guess time will tell.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:16 am

I did say "slightly". It's not really a big deal, I'm just pointing it out. I actually like what the chapter is apparently giving us, and I'm pretty excited to move forward (as well as see if we get a complete retelling of BOG and later F, just a summary/clips, or what).

Wait...I honestly don't remember here. Do the Kaioshin mention anything about Beerus not destroying anything at the end of Battle of Gods? Because if so, there's a minor hiccup with Beerus blowing up the planet that tried to poison him. =P
Last edited by TheDevilsCorpse on Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Cursemark505
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cursemark505 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:16 am

TheGmGoken wrote:What has Bulma done for the story? Everything!
She made the Dragon Radar! She started the adventure!
She helped travel the Namek ship. In fact she commanded it
Made Trunks
Built a freaking time machine
Made battle suits
In GT she made the ship!
Great Saiyanman!
Those contributions are really minor compared to all of the things going on in each arc. Sure, taking part in the creation of Trunks or creating the radar was important in hindsight, but those are the only real important things she's contributed to and she herself is virtually absent from the main focal point of most arcs.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:18 am

Oh. V-JUMP still didn't reveal the first episode title yet, either. One probably hasn't been chosen yet.

Just like the production staff...
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Beerus-sama
Advanced Regular

Post by Beerus-sama » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:20 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
Chuquita wrote:

The weirdest part would be that this "prologue" would be technically an interquel, while it would show what Goku was doing before he went to Kaio's world, it also shows that that might have happened after Beerus woke up and then Beerus's scene takes place a little bit into BoG.
I need to know more!
This makes sense.
I first thought the part with Beerus could be placed 39 years ago before Beerus went to sleep, but then it wouldnt make sense that he already had the dream with the SSG. :think:
Sleeping until the tournament is over.

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:22 am

SSJGFrieza wrote:We'll never go past EoZ because AT and Toei are too scared too.
not sure why people are worried about the whole EOZ. this is the first DB series in 18 years. If this series goes well enough they'll make another and another and so on. theres no way they can't make it to EOZ. because between Buu and Beerus there isn't a whole lot of time.
Jaco the Super Elite with The Great Saiyaman fighting crime for a spin-off series. Make it happen Toriyama

SSJ6Goku
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ6Goku » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:25 am

i hope kanzenshuu can summarize the manga. did a pretty damn good job with the direct translation of the news today!

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:47 am

Lord Beerus wrote: Unfortunately, for most western fans of Dragon ball, it's the characters who scream the loudest and hit the hardest that are loved the most.
Mmmm... sort of (Broly <3333). I think a clever character with a smart-mouth and good VA who can hold her own can be seen as badass. Last thing people want is a damsel-in-distress. It's takes good writing though. Otherwise, you end up with GT Pan. xD

I personally love characters like Winry from Fullmetal Alchemist and Bulma from Dragon Ball.

Bulma straight up went and slapped you, Beerus.
Lord Beerus wrote: I know. And that's what I loved about him so much. He is pretty much an amalgamation of how much Toriyama loves to defies tropes commonly associated with Dragon Ball and the shonen genre. He doesn't scream a lot, he doesn't have any transformations, he doesn't have an overly muscular build, he rarely powers up and he's not evil for the hell of it. Beerus such a shot in the arm as far as antagonists go, it's unbelievable. He's the best thing to happen in Dragon Ball in God knows how many years.
I'll laugh if his 100% = Broly/Roshi-mode.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Beerus-sama
Advanced Regular

Post by Beerus-sama » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:00 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote: Wait...I honestly don't remember here. Do the Kaioshin mention anything about Beerus not destroying anything at the end of Battle of Gods? Because if so, there's a minor hiccup with Beerus blowing up the planet that tried to poison him. =P
Yeah, I remember him saying something like that, thats why I was thinking the Beerus' part would be sometime before he went to sleep 39 years ago but then he mentioned the dream...
But maybe the Kaioshin was just counting Earth there...?
But then... the Kaios were all worried Beerus would be destroying and all, and after he left Earth they were all relieved...
Whatever I guess :lol:

Minor details :P
fadeddreams5 wrote:
I'll laugh if his 100% = Broly/Roshi-mode.
Nooo, Dont make me remember about that photoshopped image of me with Broly's body :shock:
Sleeping until the tournament is over.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:05 am

A few more details:

Goten's off from school (since it's Sunday), and has brought his dad some bento. Goku has Goten drive the tractor while he eats the bento. Once it's finished, he turns into a Super Saiyan, then closes his eyes and imagines fighting Freeza/Cell/Pure Boo. While he does this, Goten drives off a cliff...so Goku saves Goten and the tractor (the tractor he throws back up to the top of the cliff). Goku says he's training in case someone strong like Boo ever turns up, but Chi Chi wants him to work (cue "mom's the real strongest in the universe" joke from Goten). Goten says grandpa Gyuumao is out of money, but Chi Chi thinks Goku ought to be able to get a job that would earn some money, like Mister Satan. Goku says he just likes to train.

And who should show up at that moment but Mister Satan himself (speak of the devil)? He wants Goku to have the 100 million zenny peace prize he received for beating Boo, since he doesn't feel he deserves it. Goku has to have it explained to him that 100 million zenny is 100,000 zenny one thousand times over. This freaks Goku out, and he doesn't want such an insane amount of money. Then of course he agrees when Goten points out that with the money, he wouldn't have to work and could just go to Kaio's to train.

With the Beerus/Whis stuff...I think I already covered everything. Beerus isn't terribly upset that the aliens try and kill him with poison (he mostly just thinks they're stupid for believing poison would work on him). Yet he still destroys their planet anyway, something he matter-of-factly announces ahead of time after trying their "Soup Yasai Jinkot"(the aliens then try and shoot him, but obviously that doesn't work either).
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:11 am

Herms wrote:A few more details:

Goten's off from school (since it's Sunday), and has brought his dad some bento. Goku has Goten drive the tractor while he eats the bento. Once it's finished, he turns into a Super Saiyan, then closes his eyes and imagines fighting Freeza/Cell/Pure Boo. While he does this, Goten drives off a cliff...so Goku saves Goten and the tractor (the tractor he throws back up to the top of the cliff). Goku says he's training in case someone strong like Boo ever turns up, but Chi Chi wants him to work (cue "mom's the real strongest in the universe" joke from Goten). Goten says grandpa Gyuumao is out of money, but Chi Chi thinks Goku ought to be able to get a job that would earn some money, like Mister Satan. Goku says he just likes to train.

And who should show up at that moment but Mister Satan himself (speak of the devil)? He wants Goku to have the 100 million zenny peace prize he received for beating Boo, since he doesn't feel he deserves it. Goku has to have it explained to him that 100 million zenny is 100,000 zenny one thousand times over. This freaks Goku out, and he doesn't want such an insane amount of money. Then of course he agrees when Goten points out that with the money, he wouldn't have to work and could just go to Kaio's to train.

With the Beerus/Whis stuff...I think I already covered everything. Beerus isn't terribly upset that the aliens try and kill him with poison (he mostly just thinks they're stupid for believing poison would work on him). Yet he still destroys their planet anyway, something he matter-of-factly announces ahead of time (they try and shoot him too, but obviously that doesn't work either).
Many thanks! :3

-Heh-heh, "speak of the devil". X3 Puns. :mrgreen: *Appreciates*.
-I'm picturing this gigantic tractor with tiny Goten on it, reading that.
-Oh Gokû and math. ^^;
-This would explain the expanded Son home seen in EoZ.
-Beerus being Beerus is always fun.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:12 am

HOLD THE FUCK UP!.

DA FUCK!?!?!??!?! A RETELLING????. Ok, I'M IN!!!! This might support the theory that it goes through the new movies into a different era. Also Battle of Gods flesh out into an actual arc would be nice!. I'm all aboard the train now!.

This means Super Saiyan god goku might appear again, I can hear Chuquita already (Count me in too, I love the color it suits Goku better than. super saiyan god super saiyan gosh super cyan)
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.