"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:43 pm

Nothing about that image is real, and thank god for that.

Anyway, the quote about Beerus, Freeza and a new enemy has been around for more than a little while. It originated as a tweet from the Super Twitter account or something in a Toei press release, I don't remember at this point. It's been around for a long time now, at least in comparison to how long Super has been a thing. Still, nothing about the way it is phrased implies whether it's in-universe or out of universe (something we've been debating for like a month now).
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:49 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:All the names are usually pun based or silly, no real point expecting anything else. Now with Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan, that's just an incredibly stupid name that someone needs backhanded smack for coming up with.
I both agree and disagree at once, kind of. On one level, the name 'Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan' is fine because it pretty aptly describes what we seem to be seeing with the form. So that's all fine and dandy. But beyond that, it's just so...long...it's rather unwieldy for a term that's gonna have to be thrown around a lot in future stories, games, and discussions and such.

It's one of the few reasons I now think they shot themselves in the foot more than they ever knew when they had the red-haired form from BOG be the 'Super Saiyan God'. If they had just called that the 'Saiyan God' form, or 'God Saiyan' or something, then this new form would be free to be just 'Super Saiyan God' or 'Super God Saiyan' or something.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Rozay
Beyond Newbie

Post by Rozay » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:51 pm

My cosmo burns in pain because of this stupidity.

GokuRules987
Banned

Post by GokuRules987 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:58 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Nothing about that image is real, and thank god for that.

Anyway, the quote about Beerus, Freeza and a new enemy has been around for more than a little while. It originated as a tweet from the Super Twitter account or something in a Toei press release, I don't remember at this point. It's been around for a long time now, at least in comparison to how long Super has been a thing. Still, nothing about the way it is phrased implies whether it's in-universe or out of universe (something we've been debating for like a month now).
I found the official Post
My Intelligence level is over 9000!!!

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:59 pm

GokuRules987 wrote:Because he claimed it that he snatched it of from some anonymous user who is on japanese forum blog
Oh, that settles it. It's definitely proof of its legitimacy.

/sarcasm
Last edited by Luso Saiyan on Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GokuRules987
Banned

Post by GokuRules987 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:01 pm

Rozay wrote:My cosmo burns in pain because of this stupidity.
Goku travels to a different universe and becomes a Super Saiyan God Super Saint!!!!!

Weedity

Post by Weedity » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:04 pm

As "cool" as that form would be, that definitely does NOT have a Dragon Ball vibe to it. Without a doubt fan art.

GokuRules987
Banned

Post by GokuRules987 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:27 pm

Weedity wrote:As "cool" as that form would be, that definitely does NOT have a Dragon Ball vibe to it. Without a doubt fan art.
But there are other universes you know that right? There are endless possiblities on how dragon ball could be. Ofcourse a lot of people love Goku with his old school gi but i think its time to move on! I think its time to try something new. Different universe means different reality, different characters, maybe they dont even have dragon balls or kais in the other universe and the characters in it are completely different. You never know

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:36 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:All the names are usually pun based or silly, no real point expecting anything else. Now with Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan, that's just an incredibly stupid name that someone needs backhanded smack for coming up with.
I both agree and disagree at once, kind of. On one level, the name 'Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan' is fine because it pretty aptly describes what we seem to be seeing with the form. So that's all fine and dandy. But beyond that, it's just so...long...it's rather unwieldy for a term that's gonna have to be thrown around a lot in future stories, games, and discussions and such.

It's one of the few reasons I now think they shot themselves in the foot more than they ever knew when they had the red-haired form from BOG be the 'Super Saiyan God'. If they had just called that the 'Saiyan God' form, or 'God Saiyan' or something, then this new form would be free to be just 'Super Saiyan God' or 'Super God Saiyan' or something.
To me it's no different than Super Duper Saiyan, Super Super Saiyan, Super Mega Ultra Saiyan, Maximum Over Saiyan, Super Special Awesome Super Saiyan. :lol:

I'd take the generic True Super Saiyan God or Mastered Super Saiyan God over...this. Or Full Power Super Saiyan God as it maximizes the potential of Super Saiyan God.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:43 pm

Hopefully champ and female whis have intresting abilities to them in super gotta have them standout honestly :)

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:44 pm

GokuRules987 wrote:
Weedity wrote:As "cool" as that form would be, that definitely does NOT have a Dragon Ball vibe to it. Without a doubt fan art.
But there are other universes you know that right? There are endless possiblities on how dragon ball could be. Ofcourse a lot of people love Goku with his old school gi but i think its time to move on! I think its time to try something new. Different universe means different reality, different characters, maybe they dont even have dragon balls or kais in the other universe and the characters in it are completely different. You never know
That may be so, but it's no excuse to start ripping off other franchises.

GokuRules987
Banned

Post by GokuRules987 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:01 pm

Doctor. wrote:
That may be so, but it's no excuse to start ripping off other franchises.
Yeah well its just how ideas work, you got to start inspiration from something and then maybe you start to tweak it or change something in there and just try to go with the flow, I mean in these 3 years soo much things happened in dragon ball, we got new movies, new villains, new characters, new locations and new transformations!

I dont know why the had to use such an exaggerating name for Goku like super saiyan god? Sure he became more stronger and powered up, but how does this make him a god?
Toriyama and Toei does a great job on making their characters sound cool and all but their physical appearances surely dont live up to the hype.

I am going to come out and say yes that picture is fake, it was actually me who made it. I am huge Dragon ball/Saint Seiya fan and i just want Goku to be cool and that he could beat anyone because hes like my fictional father that i never had.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:04 pm

GokuRules987 wrote:Holy crap someone just made a teaser on Reddit of Gokus new Super Saiyan God transformation for the Super not sure if its real or fake.
Its called Goku Super Saiyan God 2 Omnipotent
He looks so freaking badass and sexy!!! soo hyped
Are you serious, or are you being facetious? It's obviously fake, it looks like something from Saint Seiya with Goku's head. Here are all of the known new forms in Super. For reals.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:07 pm

The name Super Saiyan God in itself is a subversion of the "Godly Transformation" trope, hell, you can class it as a subversion, or even a parody if you're willing to go that far, of the franchise's main trope. It's not supposed to look great and powerful, it's supposed to look weak and underwhelming and it does its job nicely.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:10 pm

Low Tone G wrote:
UltimateHammerBro wrote:
Is that 100% valid information?
Yes it is. After all, it's taken from the official Toei website.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

GokuRules987
Banned

Post by GokuRules987 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:18 pm

Doctor. wrote:The name Super Saiyan God in itself is a subversion of the "Godly Transformation" trope, hell, you can class it as a subversion, or even a parody if you're willing to go that far, of the franchise's main trope. It's not supposed to look great and powerful, it's supposed to look weak and underwhelming and it does its job nicely.
So super saiyan god was just a parody? damn! Every time when someone says a word God, I always think that that person must be omnipotent, omnipresent and omniscient. Goku is obviously not omnipotent but if they were to really want to end the dragon ball series would they make Goku omnipotent so that he would basically become unbeatable in which would pretty much wrap up this whole dragon ball story as a whole? Son Goku is the strongest one!!! chapter

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:20 pm

Well, we do have a character in the series who's literally named "God"...

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:50 pm

GokuRules987 wrote:Every time when someone says a word God, I always think that that person must be omnipotent, omnipresent and omniscient.
Doctor. wrote:Well, we do have a character in the series who's literally named "God"...
As far as I know, the concept of "Kami" isn't exactly analogous to the Western idea of a God. The character being Kami, in fact, isn't omnipotent.
On the other hand, they used the English word "God" for SSG, so I think that they wanted to imply the Western concept, even if it was just to subvert the trope.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:11 pm

GokuRules987 wrote:So super saiyan god was just a parody? damn! Every time when someone says a word God, I always think that that person must be omnipotent, omnipresent and omniscient. Goku is obviously not omnipotent but if they were to really want to end the dragon ball series would they make Goku omnipotent so that he would basically become unbeatable in which would pretty much wrap up this whole dragon ball story as a whole? Son Goku is the strongest one!!! chapter
It's not a "parody"... that's just not what a "god" is in the Dragon World. It's not what a god is to many worldwide religions.

Earth's God (the old green dude) is a god. Dende is a god (and is, in fact, God with a capital "G"). Kaio, the Lord of Worlds, is a god. The Kaioshin are gods. Beerus is a god. Super Saiyan God is apparently a god!

This isn't Christianity, but rather a world view influenced by Buddhism where gods can be and are mortals that, while they may have achieved enlightenment, are likely still just that: mortal. They can be killed. They have jobs. They have hopes, dreams, aspirations, and fears.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:35 pm

Lets just hope that the first arc isn't a anime filler retelling of Battle of Gods... weirder things have happened. I Really wished it would take place after the epilogue chapters, but it would make sense for it to take place after the RoF.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat