"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by ABED » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:11 am

i'd prefer to see them get evolved rather than sit on the sidelines being Gary Stus like they were in ROF, which is why i'm hoping Champa will be a villain in DBS.
How is he a Gary Stu?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:28 am

I am trying real hard to defend what seems like their decision to retell and change the events of BOG, but it's such a strange and confusing decision to do that versus work off of what happens after ROF.

I guess they're going to just assume not everyone cares about the movie? Or maybe Toriyama wants to redo the story more the way he would do it?

I've gotta say as much as I love DB, the decisions they make about the story and it's inconsistencies with the original manga and now even their own other new material is a headache.

Cadellin

Post by Cadellin » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:33 am

Another thing- seeing as the manga is only monthly, while the anime is weekly, how will they deal with that? Either it needs to run through everything at break-neck pace, get left increasingly far behind the plot, or offer instead a cutdown/alternate retelling of the events of the anime. It could well be that the manga iteration we have been scouring for details shares only a name with the anime.

I'm also kinda intrigued to know what they would do about Uub should the story continue that far- will we get to see a reanimated version of the tournament and get those exact scenes again in Super some point down the road? Some part of me was privately wondering whether they would cut Uub from the end of Kai, so that the kids watching the TV broadcast each week wouldn't randomly have to skip back ten years again when Super started airing, but they kept Uub in.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:15 am

sangofe wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I guess calling it "Dragon Ball Super" would make sense if it really is about a retelling of BOG (and F?) which would involve super saiyajin god and blueper saiyan.
No, no, nooo! Please tell me the entire series won't evolve around events already having been told :S
I don't want it to be that either. I'm only theorizing.

There's so much other stuff I wanna see. If all they do is redo the movies it'll feel like such a waste.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:37 am

Just putting this out there on a tangent that's somewhat on topic, but I really can't shake how much the 'Chozetsu' refrain in 'Chozetsu Dynamic' sounds like 'sawdust'.

It's one of those things that once heard that way, I simply can't un-hear. It's almost as bad as how I hear 'bask in blood' as 'plastic bag' in X Japan's 'Stab me in the back'.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:40 am

Have they posted a good chunk of a sample of either song yet? Been so distracted by wondering about the plot I lost track of what was going on with the music.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:22 am

Chuquita wrote:
sangofe wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I guess calling it "Dragon Ball Super" would make sense if it really is about a retelling of BOG (and F?) which would involve super saiyajin god and blueper saiyan.
No, no, nooo! Please tell me the entire series won't evolve around events already having been told :S
I don't want it to be that either. I'm only theorizing.

There's so much other stuff I wanna see. If all they do is redo the movies it'll feel like such a waste.
Do you really think it would take 100 episodes to cover BoG and FnF? This will last a few months, and there will be scenes with new characters like Champa setting up the next story arc.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:46 am

I'm more than happy and grateful for new Dragon Ball material, but for the life of me I can't shake this profound frustration of this meandering purgatory of the post-Buu era. 20 years later, all that time to prepare and think about it, and we get Buu era. 1.5. :lolno:
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:59 am

Thanos wrote:I'm more than happy and grateful for new Dragon Ball material, but for the life of me I can't shake this profound frustration of this meandering purgatory of the post-Buu era. 20 years later, all that time to prepare and think about it, and we get Buu era. 1.5. :lolno:
It's literally because Toriyama deliberately ended the Manga at a point where all of the characters were fairly old. Furthermore, GT covered the period beyond the final chapter, so it's simply a case of choosing a setting that doesn't tread on GT's toes and also allows the writers to depict the characters in their prime.

I mean, there's nothing stopping them from writing material within other parts of the established timeline - prior to the Androids perhaps, but then there'd be a lot more to plot around and take into account than the fairly benign events around Uub being introduced. The 10 year time-skip was more or less undocumented, so it's a nice little pocket to work within.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Cadellin

Post by Cadellin » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:05 am

Blade wrote:
Thanos wrote:I'm more than happy and grateful for new Dragon Ball material, but for the life of me I can't shake this profound frustration of this meandering purgatory of the post-Buu era. 20 years later, all that time to prepare and think about it, and we get Buu era. 1.5. :lolno:
It's literally because Toriyama deliberately ended the Manga at a point where all of the characters were fairly old. Furthermore, GT covered the period beyond the final chapter, so it's simply a case of choosing a setting that doesn't tread on GT's toes and also allows the writers to depict the characters in their prime.

I mean, there's nothing stopping them from writing material within other parts of the established timeline - prior to the Androids perhaps, but then there'd be a lot more to plot around and take into account than the fairly benign events around Uub being introduced. The 10 year time-skip was more or less undocumented, so it's a nice little pocket to work within.
Yeah. Unless you want to go for post-Z and overwrite time otherwise occupied by GT, the only real options are the ten year skip between Buu and Uub, and the seven year skip between Cell and Buu. The latter of course has Goku dead for the duration, so probably looks like a less attractive option to any writer. We had Bojack Unbound seemingly set in that period, but its easy to see why the more recent things (JSAT Special, Battle of Gods, Revival of F) have opted instead for the ten year gap.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:42 am

Cadellin wrote:Another thing- seeing as the manga is only monthly, while the anime is weekly, how will they deal with that? Either it needs to run through everything at break-neck pace, get left increasingly far behind the plot, or offer instead a cutdown/alternate retelling of the events of the anime.
That's been discussed to death already. The manga is just an advertisement tool for the original product , the anime. It's not important and that is fairly common. More than likely it's gonna bring a glimpse of the next anime events.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:48 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Do you really think it would take 100 episodes to cover BoG and FnF? This will last a few months, and there will be scenes with new characters like Champa setting up the next story arc.
But that 100 episode thing was an error, go check the site now, it says "xx" episodes.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:10 am

I was just checking Fuji TV's listings, and although it lists Super episode 1, it doesn't reveal the title. It seems like Toei's really playing Super's info close to its vest.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:18 am

sangofe wrote: But that 100 episode thing was an error.
Or something they didn't want the public to know about.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:21 am

I don't know if Super can ever have an episode as beautifully animated as this week's episode of Toei's Go!Pri (#21), but I can certainly hold out hope for it.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:39 am

Chuquita wrote:I don't know if Super can ever have an episode as beautifully animated as this week's episode of Toei's Go!Pri (#21), but I can certainly hold out hope for it.
Inagami Akira was the animation supervisor. Inagami was a animation supervisor for Dragon Ball GT but hasn't returned to the franchise since. His episodes are usually better looking, from what I hear, though.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:49 am

I want somthing planet vegeta oriented. The would be cool. Bring Raditz back. He got left behind so long ago. Let Goku and Chichi have a night out, so Goku gathers the dragon balls and revives raditz cause they need a babysitter *he's family afterall*..that would be funny. :lol: :lol: :lol:

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:20 pm

I dont really mind it if TOEI rushes or finishes DBS in 12-24eps as long as the manga will continue or even a novel ver of it. When it comes to DB I prefer the manga anyways. I'm more hyped about the manga than the anime tbh. :lol:

valfranx
Beyond Newbie

Post by valfranx » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:34 pm

I have a theory. the episode is split at moments of the present and past , the scenes of beerus pass in the past, of goku in the present this would explain the various contradictions we see in the trailer.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:53 pm

valfranx wrote:I have a theory. the episode is split at moments of the present and past , the scenes of beerus pass in the past, of goku in the present this would explain the various contradictions we see in the trailer.
I don't really see DBS alternating between two moments in time. I don't really know how to express it, but it feels... off. A bit too "sophisticated" for DB, to say it somehow.

That said, I really, really hope you're right. That'd really put an end to the debate.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts