"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Flame Dragon
Regular

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Flame Dragon » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:34 am

Super Dragon Balls?
Oh please god i hope they're not this series Black Star Dragon Balls.

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Low Tone G » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:42 am

Flame Dragon wrote:Super Dragon Balls?
Oh please god i hope they're not this series Black Star Dragon Balls.
They are described as giant ones... So they could be big in size or having much more power than the ones we are used to.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

IGhostUlt
Beyond Newbie

Post by IGhostUlt » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:58 am

The hate for GT is real in this thread man. WHO CARES if Super might have some similarities to GT? GT wasn't even that bad, some of you over-exaggerate it like there was NOTHING good about it. From what I remember GT had a lot of great concepts, and I don't mind if Super might have some similarities man. Chill out.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:59 am

As long as they dont shrink Goku I'm good with anything related to GT that they may put in Super. GT wasnt that bad for me at least.

IGhostUlt
Beyond Newbie

Post by IGhostUlt » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:04 am

SansrivaaL wrote:As long as they dont shrink Goku I'm good with anything related to GT that they may put in Super. GT wasnt that bad for me at least.
LOL Exactly! Some of them are acting like they are going to shrink Goku again.

Makai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Makai » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:07 am

IGhostUlt wrote:The hate for GT is real in this thread man. WHO CARES if Super might have some similarities to GT? GT wasn't even that bad, some of you over-exaggerate it like there was NOTHING good about it. From what I remember GT had a lot of great concepts, and I don't mind if Super might have some similarities man. Chill out.
Nah, it was pretty bad. If these are like the Black Star Dragon Balls, I'm out.

Captain Space

Post by Captain Space » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:11 am

Makai wrote:
IGhostUlt wrote:The hate for GT is real in this thread man. WHO CARES if Super might have some similarities to GT? GT wasn't even that bad, some of you over-exaggerate it like there was NOTHING good about it. From what I remember GT had a lot of great concepts, and I don't mind if Super might have some similarities man. Chill out.
In what way? If you mean, "Completely nonsensical, poorly-explained", then yeah, that's a legitimate issue. (Whatever you think of GT as a whole, the Black Star DBs in particular were...not well-rationalised.)

If you just mean "a different, more powerful set of Dragon Balls," that's nearly impossible to avoid.
"Actually I didn’t know what Bulma’s real hair color was" --Toriyama

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:12 am

NeoKING wrote:Filler, what a wonderful way to start the series.

Really does remind me of the first GT episodes.
How is it filler?

IGhostUlt
Beyond Newbie

Post by IGhostUlt » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:17 am

GT Haters love to overgeneralize it by a couple of vague opinions about a few concepts
Last edited by IGhostUlt on Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Makai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Makai » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:20 am

Captain Space wrote:
Makai wrote:
In what way? If you mean, "Completely nonsensical, poorly-explained", then yeah, that's a legitimate issue. (Whatever you think of GT as a whole, the Black Star DBs in particular were...not well-rationalised.)

If you just mean "a different, more powerful set of Dragon Balls," that's nearly impossible to avoid.
Yes poorly explained, and didn't make any sense. There's was no reason for them to even exist. Plus the whole search for them was boring, and half the story was poorly executed.

Re: Vegeta trip
Don't even understand what this is, some of you seem to be getting overly excited lol. It'll most likely be filler, not contributing to the overall story, but I hope it's not just gonna waste time.

Low Tone G

Post by Low Tone G » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:20 am

Do you, guys, realize that this show's title is Dragon Ball? How could you imagine a new series without Dragon Balls. So if the old DBs are now somewhat out-dated, Toriyama must introduce new ones to keep the title relevant, or else the title should have been changed to something like this: Goku and friends in a new universe or so.

Should I bring up the title of Lord of the Rings example?
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:24 am

Dbzk1999 wrote:
How is it filler?
God, didn't your hear!? Any episode not involving fighting is filler! Yup, disregard the fact that a show with no source material can't have filler. It sounds boring to me so it has to be! /s

On a serious note, I'm actually really happy if that newspaper is correct. Slice of life Dragon Ball would make me so happy. Primarily, it's incredibly entertaining, but I'm also a twisted individual who enjoys salty tears, so there's that, too. :wink:
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:33 am

AjayLikesGaming wrote:
Dbzk1999 wrote:
How is it filler?
God, didn't your hear!? Any episode not involving fighting is filler! Yup, disregard the fact that a show with no source material can't have filler. It sounds boring to me so it has to be! /s

On a serious note, I'm actually really happy if that newspaper is correct. Slice of life Dragon Ball would make me so happy. Primarily, it's incredibly entertaining, but I'm also a twisted individual who enjoys salty tears, so there's that, too. :wink:
Why would there be Dragon Ball fans who would be salty over the idea of Super being more slice of life? I mean, you can only throw so many fists, yell so many techniques and toss so many ki blasts before it gets tedious.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:38 am

The 30th Anniversary website updated with a peek inside the Super Start Guide. There were only two images, both small, but the other one seemed to be an interview with Nozawa and would thus have no real point showing off at this sizw. Anyway, it seems we're getting some fun production material (most of it probably recycled from Battle of Gods):

Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Makai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Makai » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:39 am

Reminds me of the episode in Z where Goku and Piccolo were learning how to drive. It was complete filler though, and obviously too without needing to look at the manga. Doesn't even have to be fighting, but it contributed nothing whatsoever to the story.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:41 am

Yea agreed, GT did have a lot of great ideas but sadly it didn't have the execution so I am all for it if TOEI redo some of those ideas but this time with Toriyama helping them a lot more.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:43 am

AjayLikesGaming wrote:
Dbzk1999 wrote:
How is it filler?
The absolute best part is that most people of said opinion genuinely don't know that the majority of fight scenes in the anime are padded out and elongated substantially by material not in the Manga.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

DisapprovingOwl
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DisapprovingOwl » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:46 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Yea agreed, GT did have a lot of great ideas but sadly it didn't have the execution so I am all for it if TOEI redo some of those ideas but this time with Toriyama helping them a lot more.
Indeed - that was the tragedy of GT as far as I'm concerned. Marathoned through it with a mate a few years back as neither of us had seen it, and we were saddened by how many potentially good ideas turned up only to be let down in the execution. Hopefully Dragon Ball Super will do better in this regard!

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:52 am

Jeez you guys need to get off the gt hate bandwagon i admit i don't like gt and feel like the only good things that came out it were ssj4 and the ending but gt were practically good ideas but poor execution

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:57 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:The 30th Anniversary website updated with a peek inside the Super Start Guide. There were only two images, both small, but the other one seemed to be an interview with Nozawa and would thus have no real point showing off at this sizw. Anyway, it seems we're getting some fun production material (most of it probably recycled from Battle of Gods):
Cool. Maybe we'll get more pictures/scans in about 12 hours or so, after the book hit shelves, if someone's kind enough.