"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sanorin
Beyond Newbie

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by sanorin » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:55 pm

DBZimran wrote:Managed to find the opening for those who missed it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2Mm01UrXFg
That was beautiful! Can't wait to watch the episode!

GokuRules987
Banned

Post by GokuRules987 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:56 pm

Great opening so far, hopefully the episode will cover beyond the first manga chapter?
My Intelligence level is over 9000!!!

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

sintzu wrote:
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:This probably is a dead horse at this point but, TAKE THAT GT !!!
The OP alone puts Gt in the ground.
why? the GT opening was pretty sweet had cool animation and style. Personally the Dan Dan song is better than Supers song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJcuDgVYjgI
Jaco the Super Elite with The Great Saiyaman fighting crime for a spin-off series. Make it happen Toriyama

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:58 pm

GokuRules987 wrote:Great opening so far, hopefully the episode will cover beyond the first manga chapter?
It actually covers even less.

thesupergodman

Post by thesupergodman » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:58 pm

Judging from everyone's reactions, the series seems to be off to a great start. Honestly, that's all I wanted to hear. :D

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:59 pm

I prefer Dan Dan to this OP too, even though I enjoy both. I'm not really sure why people are saying "take that GT", when GT's first episode was almost as good, it's from here that we'll see if Super holds up or not.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:00 pm

Ushabtis wrote: why? the GT opening was pretty sweet had cool animation and style. Personally the Dan Dan song is better than Supers song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJcuDgVYjgI
I will agree that Dan Dan is better than Supers song and the cool animation.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:01 pm

Doctor. wrote:I prefer Dan Dan to this OP too, even though I enjoy both. I'm not really sure why people are saying "take that GT", when GT's first episode was almost as good, it's from here that we'll see if Super holds up or not.
Thats true, its just the emotion :lol: of having another series after 18 years.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

GokuRules987
Banned

Post by GokuRules987 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:03 pm

Although I found nothing sexy about the super opening that song writers said they were going to portray goku in there? O.o
My Intelligence level is over 9000!!!

SaiyanZ
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyanZ » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:05 pm

Haven't seen anyone post ED, so here you go, its good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WrjnGWovzE
Tim Duncan is dope and forever.

My favorite anime and manga (characters included): https://myanimelist.net/profile/SaiyanZ?q=SaiyanZ

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:06 pm

Maybe this is going to be the best Dragonball ever. I have a good feeling about this series,very good feeling because things look different in a good way especially after seen Kai 2.0.
Last edited by shinmaru on Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MaGyunia
Regular

Post by MaGyunia » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:08 pm

Doctor. wrote:I prefer Dan Dan to this OP too, even though I enjoy both. I'm not really sure why people are saying "take that GT", when GT's first episode was almost as good, it's from here that we'll see if Super holds up or not.
There's a big difference between GT and DBSuper. GT was created in a rush right after 7 years of making up stories and characters and basically took on the worst DBZ had by Majin Buu's saga and had none of the elements that made DBZ so brutally great. By the time of Majin Buu, you can tell the creator was already struggling to find ideas, concepts, storylines and character interactions and backgrounds which could be both new and of the same quality as those seen in any of the previous arcs, right from the Tenshinhan arc until the Cell arc, with the Piccolo Daimao, Piccolo Jr., Saiya-jin, Freeza, Jinzouningen and Cell arcs. Besides, unlike GT, Super was and will actually be overseen by Toriyama, which pretty much just guarantees the quality of the stories, whether we're talking about serious action, fighting, villains and drama or lighter, smoother and comic aspects.

Moreover, even taking into account that this isn't actually the first really new material from DBZ, after the 2008, 2011, 2013 and 2015 movies, Toriyama is still in the process of revitalization with a clear head after so many years of Dragonball-story-creation inactivity, so he'll approach this new series with a much clearer head and come up with stories and backgrounds of roughly the same quality of what made any arc from DB and DBZ so great, although with a slightly different touch, considering the new audiences and the changes in Toriyama's viewpoints as a creative individual themselves.

FlpShimizu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FlpShimizu » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:13 pm

Damn. When Goku looks at the screen and smiles at the end of the ED I actually cried a little with joy.
Last edited by FlpShimizu on Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm never fighting a gag manga character again!"

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:13 pm

MaGyunia wrote:Besides, unlike GT, Super was and will actually be overseen by Toriyama, which pretty much just guarantees the quality of the stories, whether we're talking about serious action, fighting, villains and drama or lighter, smoother and comic aspects.
The fact that Toriyama is overseeing the series doesn't really give me good vibrations :(
For instance, the stuff he told in the interviews for the Full Color edition.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Lapis

Post by Lapis » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:13 pm

Guys, assuming this story will eventually link with EoZ. Don't you think it's weird how Goku is excited to fight Uub while Goku should be much stronger than Buu by that time with his new god form.? and who knows what kind of training he did after achieving SSJG.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:15 pm

MaGyunia wrote:
There's a big difference between GT and DBSuper. GT was created in a rush right after 7 years of making up stories and characters and basically took on the worst DBZ had by Majin Buu's saga and had none of the elements that made DBZ so brutally great. By the time of Majin Buu, you can tell the creator was already struggling to find ideas, concepts, storylines and character interactions and backgrounds which could be both new and of the same quality as those seen in any of the previous arcs, right from the Tenshinhan arc until the Cell arc, with the Piccolo Daimao, Piccolo Jr., Saiya-jin, Freeza, Jinzouningen and Cell arcs. Besides, unlike GT, Super was and will actually be overseen by Toriyama, which pretty much just guarantees the quality of the stories, whether we're talking about serious action, fighting, villains and drama or lighter, smoother and comic aspects.

Moreover, even taking into account that this isn't actually the first really new material from DBZ, after the 2008, 2011, 2013 and 2015 movies, Toriyama is still in the process of revitalization with a clear head after so many years of Dragonball-story-creation inactivity, so he'll approach this new series with a much clearer head and come up with stories and backgrounds of roughly the same quality of what made any arc from DB and DBZ so great, although with a slightly different touch, considering the new audiences and the changes in Toriyama's viewpoints as a creative individual themselves.
I didn't imply that GT was good, or that Super was bad. I don't disagree with you, I was saying that it's too early to call Super better than GT.
Last edited by Doctor. on Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaiyanZ
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyanZ » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:15 pm

I know Chuquita and GmGoken are freaking out over the SSJG and sleeveless Goten in the OP :D
Tim Duncan is dope and forever.

My favorite anime and manga (characters included): https://myanimelist.net/profile/SaiyanZ?q=SaiyanZ

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:16 pm

Lapis wrote:Guys, assuming this story will eventually link with EoZ. Don't you think it's weird how Goku is excited to fight Uub while Goku should be much stronger than Buu by that time with his new god form.? and who knows what kind of training he did after achieving SSJG.
On the contrary. Look at how strong Frieza got in just 4 months; Goku sure looked at it. Now imagine how strong Uub could get in his life.

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:16 pm

Lapis wrote:Guys, assuming this story will eventually link with EoZ.
who knows. I'm more interested in Universe 6 at this point.
Jaco the Super Elite with The Great Saiyaman fighting crime for a spin-off series. Make it happen Toriyama

MaGyunia
Regular

Post by MaGyunia » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:17 pm

shinmaru wrote:Maybe this is going to be the best Dragonball ever. I have a good feeling about this series very good feeling because things look different in a good way especially after seen Kai 2.0.
I wouldn't go so far as to postulate that this might be the best Dragonball ever. We're talking about untouchable stuff when we mention the later stages of DB and the entirety of DBZ. It's virtually impossible to match it in terms of quality. Besides, we need to approach this recent and new material from a different standpoint while at the same time be able to fit it into the history of DBZ from the 80's and 90's.

This is entirely new material and there's an enormous potential for character and storyline development taking into account the 10 year gap between Kid Buu's defeat and the last episodes of Dragonball Z. If they're going to retcon BoG and maybe Fukkatsu no F, which I personally would prefer they didn't, as I had already went through the process of accepting them as canon stories following the Majin Buu arc, then I wouldn't really mind if they retconned those last few episodes and got rid of Uub. It would have been better if Z ended in another way, since we're stuck in this 10-year time period and anything will eventually lead or be followed up by the last Tenkaichi Budokai in Z and Uub's appearance, in a setting that doesn't really please me. I'm not even considering GT, it's not even canon and is not, nor does it deserve to be, a follow-up to Dragonball and Dragonball Z.