"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:51 pm

alakazam^ wrote: Yeah, it's strange but at the same time there's no mention of any kind of Battle Royal between Beers and everyone else. Besides, the summary begins with describing the Vegeta-Bulma stuff and we know there's no way for it to take even half an episode. My bet would be that episode 7 ends with Beers slapping Bulma and Vegeta in a rage (possibly charging at him) and episode 8 continues that sequence of events.
I noticed that too, it would be a huge missed opportunity if they did not incorporate the cut stuff in Super if the summaries are accurate, the lack of mention of the Z fighters vs Beerus suggests it is going to be as a short as the film, major :thumbdown: if that is the case.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:10 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
alakazam^ wrote: Yeah, it's strange but at the same time there's no mention of any kind of Battle Royal between Beers and everyone else. Besides, the summary begins with describing the Vegeta-Bulma stuff and we know there's no way for it to take even half an episode. My bet would be that episode 7 ends with Beers slapping Bulma and Vegeta in a rage (possibly charging at him) and episode 8 continues that sequence of events.
I noticed that too, it would be a huge missed opportunity if they did not incorporate the cut stuff in Super if the summaries are accurate, the lack of mention of the Z fighters vs Beerus suggests it is going to be as a short as the film, major :thumbdown: if that is the case.
I'm sure that part will be kept, these summaries do seem very vague. If they keep Pan being the key to the ritual (at this point I'm hoping they will) then the whole drunk Great Saiyaman-Dende healing Videl would have to take place in episode 8 or 9 and none of that is mentioned.

AM Reflection
Not-So-Newbie

Post by AM Reflection » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:19 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Yeah. The episode 8 summary is half about Vegeta's futile attempt and then it goes straight to Beerus and Oolong playing rock-paper-scissors so I don't think there is gonna be time for any extra battling with anyone. It doesn't even mention the part where Gotenks gets involved. Oh well. I'm just glad Vegeta's power-up didn't get increased in any way.

MaGyunia
Regular

Post by MaGyunia » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:20 pm

Little over half an hour to go. Wonder if Beerus will be as polite towards Goku as he was in BoG while introducing to him. He's generally polite despite his massive power and destructive tendencies (a bit like Freeza, in that regard), and he even always uses "boku" when referring to himself, which is a pretty well-mannered and well-spoken, rather polite way of addressing others. I hope he keeps that and that's one of the things they shouldn't change in DBSuper's version of the acquaintance + fight when compared to BoG.

Going back to the whole Beerus being deemed "evil" or "good" we discussed a few days ago, one additional thing: you've never seen Freeza, Cell or any other major psychotic, megalomaniacal super-villain apologize for hitting someone and causing a fuss like Beerus did at the end of the movie. He's not a villain, nor a good guy. He's not "evil", nor is he "good", he's no one's ally, he has a mission and just does it. He's probably so strange an entity that his concept of "evil" or "wrongdoing" and "righteousness" is entirely different to him, or not understood at all as it is with regular, emotional beings.

SaiyanZ
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyanZ » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:12 pm

Man, after watching Resurrection 'F', I pray Super's re-write will make it better. I was seriously disappointed.
Tim Duncan is dope and forever.

My favorite anime and manga (characters included): https://myanimelist.net/profile/SaiyanZ?q=SaiyanZ

FutureGohanSSJ2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FutureGohanSSJ2 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:27 pm

So I just finished watching this week's episode.

...man. This is the absolute worst animation I have ever seen in anything Dragon Ball. I thought the Xenoverse intro was poor, but damn... This was the most stiff I have ever seen animation. These scenes had little to no fluidity in the animation. This was....quite frankly, almost disgusting to watch. It was way bad.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:36 am

I liked the idea of retelling BoG an FnF because of the possibilities to fill gaps and create new paths for the plot to develop;but I'm starting to change my mind.
In fives episodes this is what we had so far:
- Probable change in the timeline, with BoG starting much sooner(Not confirmed and it might create a plot hole because of the dragon balls).
- A few nice slice-of-life interactions between the characters, which is always nice.
- A little more time to introduce Beerus and Whis.
- Change of setting of Bulma's party and in the introduction of Pilaf Gang.

These are positive/null points, that so far have near to no impact and just makes Super a watered down version of BoG, with a lot of stretching. Still five episodes in and only two into BoG land, but what's the positive of this? This is getting counter-productive, if the last three episodes turned me off somewhat - a hardcore fan -, what to say of casual viewers and new audience. Even if these people haven't seen BoG, they'll just probably think that this isn't that good.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:03 pm

Only a Super Saiyan 3 Vegeta can save DBSuper ratings to keep high
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:11 pm

Noah wrote:Only a Super Saiyan 3 Vegeta can save DBSuper ratings to keep high
The only thing ssj3 Vegeta would accomplish is make Vegeta fanboys happy, despite how pointless ssj3 is now.
Super will keep being in top10 anime tv ratings anyway.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:23 pm

Yeah I really hope SSJ3 Vegeta stays video game only. We know he's going to get a SSGSS transformation, so there's no point showing Vegeta in a form Beerus proved to be weak in Super episode 5.

MaGyunia
Regular

Post by MaGyunia » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:01 pm

Don't get started on the whole Super Saiya-jin 3 Vegeta again, please. We've over-debated that stuff to death in the last few days and I won't repeat myself on why I would partially like to have it happen while at the same time finding the very concept outdated/obsolete (besides the fact it would look awful on Vegeta, regardless of the clothes he wears).

But there are reasons for the theory of Vegeta going Super Saiya-jin 3, or at least becoming ABLE to go Super Saiya-jin 3 (in the movies' timeline, at some point between BoG and Fukkatsu no F, and in the series' timeline, either during or slightly after the Beerus arc). If you want the theory search through my posts both in this thread and in others, I won't repeat it, I'm honestly tired of the discussion.

StrawHatPatriot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by StrawHatPatriot » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:46 pm

SaiyanZ wrote:Man, after watching Resurrection 'F', I pray Super's re-write will make it better. I was seriously disappointed.
This is the only useful thing that could come out of Dragon Ball super retelling the movies.

ScholarGohan
Beyond Newbie

Post by ScholarGohan » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:30 am

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:50 am

SSJ3 Vegeta would only benefit Vegeta fanboys, but hey since DBS did something that cannot be unseen again the ssj3 Vegeta isnt so far-fetched. Heck destroy DBS why dont they :lolno:

White Oni
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by White Oni » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:57 am

Even with google translate I can tell there's serious levels of unhappiness.

I really can't blame anyone for being disappointed with this episode.

1) Yes, it's a short fight, but it's the focus of the entire episode, THAT was the one thing they had to do well and the failed miserably.

2) Yes, it's digital art, But that's no freaking excuse, Digital art can be fucking gorgious, just like cel art can. OR, if there's minimal effort or funding, it can look horendous, just like cel art can.

3) Yes, I understand respect for King Kai's VA, but dude, there's a point where you need to say "I respect this person, I really WISH the could perform", and not say "I respect this person, he HAS to perform."

The parts where Kaio is yelling but the VA sounds monotone are some of the grossest bits of dubbing I've ever seen...

kizuki
Beyond Newbie

Post by kizuki » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:04 am

White Oni wrote:
Even with google translate I can tell there's serious levels of unhappiness.

I really can't blame anyone for being disappointed with this episode.

1) Yes, it's a short fight, but it's the focus of the entire episode, THAT was the one thing they had to do well and the failed miserably.

2) Yes, it's digital art, But that's no freaking excuse, Digital art can be fucking gorgious, just like cel art can. OR, if there's minimal effort or funding, it can look horendous, just like cel art can.

3) Yes, I understand respect for King Kai's VA, but dude, there's a point where you need to say "I respect this person, I really WISH the could perform", and not say "I respect this person, he HAS to perform."

The parts where Kaio is yelling but the VA sounds monotone are some of the grossest bits of dubbing I've ever seen...
The issues with Kaiousama are the only things I would put up with because Yanami-sama has all my thoughts going to him and his health. I'm glad he's able to, at least, do his best for this franchise.

As far as points 1 and 2 go I completely agree. I actually prefer that the fight between Goku and Beerus be short, as Beerus is written to be this supremely powerful being several leagues away from Goku even in SSJ3. And with that, seeing as how short the fight was -- but how pivotal a plot in the series it is -- the quality of this should've been WAY better. And digital art and cel art can both be great or terrible depending on the effort / money put into it, totally agree.

I have a feeling that the quality of episode 5 is going to be a topic of conversation for a while, as that's all we are discussing in that section of the forum -- and episode 6 will be a lot of the same. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some better quality episodes, hopefully beginning with Bejita's explosion of anger and Goku becoming a Super Saiyajin God.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:40 pm

Article about the animation quality of Super. Has a part talking about that shot from the next episode preview where Vegeta appears to have 2 left hands.

I would've thought that people in Japan are accustomed to bearing with occasional shitty animation episodes from their weekly anime series, since this has been happening forever. Probably since this is such a highly anticipated series and we're only on episode 5 is it becoming such a big deal. Because no one will bat an eye at episode #327 of (insert-long-running-shounen-anime) being atrociously animated, but with this being the first time time we're getting new Dragon Ball TV animation in 18 years, a lot of people are expecting better.
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:01 pm

If the animation is bad enough to get a story on a big news site like Yahoo Japan, TOEI should take notice and not let it happen again. It's not just small children watching this show, it's also the original Japanese fans who are now in their 30s and 40s, they should put more effort into it.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:05 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote:If the animation is bad enough to get a story on a big news site like Yahoo Japan, TOEI should take notice and not let it happen again. It's not just small children watching this show, it's also the original Japanese fans who are now in their 30s and 40s, they should put more effort into it.
I'm really hoping Yahoo Japan bringing attention to it means something. I also still think part of the bad quality is due to Episode of Sabo. If they announce a new One Piece movie at this year's Jump Festa, the Universe 6 arc for Super is screwed.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:30 pm

Chuquita wrote:
UpFromTheSkies wrote:If the animation is bad enough to get a story on a big news site like Yahoo Japan, TOEI should take notice and not let it happen again. It's not just small children watching this show, it's also the original Japanese fans who are now in their 30s and 40s, they should put more effort into it.
I'm really hoping Yahoo Japan bringing attention to it means something. I also still think part of the bad quality is due to Episode of Sabo. If they announce a new One Piece movie at this year's Jump Festa, the Universe 6 arc for Super is screwed.
Dragon Ball Super has already been screwed the day it was announced that Toei is the one producing it. 90's Toei of DB and DBZ was good but now.... God help us.