"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shinda Forever
Temporarily Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Shinda Forever » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:02 pm

ssj3kakarot wrote:So, there are some people who theorize that Gohan will be the one to beat Jiren, that Goku will obtain his new form, and still lose. Upon seeing his father lose, and being the only hope left for the Universe, unlock some uber "plot device" transformation, and win the tournament.

What is everyone thoughts on this scenario or something like this taking place? ( Gohan winning the tournament in general because Goku was unable to seal the deal?)
There is no way that scenario will happen. Gohan will be eliminated earlier. Gohan will be a nobody in this arc.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:22 pm

Shinda Forever wrote: There is no way that scenario will happen. Gohan will be eliminated earlier. Gohan will be a nobody in this arc.
Counter point;
The show has been pushing Gohan too hard for him to be a "nobody".

Shinda Forever
Temporarily Banned

Post by Shinda Forever » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:25 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
Shinda Forever wrote: There is no way that scenario will happen. Gohan will be eliminated earlier. Gohan will be a nobody in this arc.
Counter point;
The ending is just bullshit, they also pushed Krillin and we all know how it ended.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:28 pm

Shinda Forever wrote: The ending is just bullshit, they also pushed Krillin and we all know how it ended.
Krillin's Push was nothing like Gohan's.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:31 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
Counter point;
In fairness, it's difficult to incorporate Gohan in the final battle when Goku is supposed to be unlocking a transformation that turns a chasm of a power gap between himself and the others into a continental sized rift.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:50 pm

I think Gohan will be the one who will win the tournament as well. There have been hints about Gohan's importance through the entire arc, while Goku's new form has been hyped so much, it would be too obvious that he would win, and Dragon Ball is never that predictable. Universe 7 also can not lose, so if Goku doesn't win, the Gohan is the obvious next choice.

Goku will remain the protagonist though, so he'll most likely surpass him with the next arc's power-up.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:01 pm

Shinda Forever wrote:
ssj3kakarot wrote:So, there are some people who theorize that Gohan will be the one to beat Jiren, that Goku will obtain his new form, and still lose. Upon seeing his father lose, and being the only hope left for the Universe, unlock some uber "plot device" transformation, and win the tournament.

What is everyone thoughts on this scenario or something like this taking place? ( Gohan winning the tournament in general because Goku was unable to seal the deal?)
There is no way that scenario will happen. Gohan will be eliminated earlier. Gohan will be a nobody in this arc.
Probably not. As Arched said he's gotten loads of development this arc, only second to Goku. VJump also mentioned he'll be playing a big role so to say he'll be a "nobody" is a bit unfair given what we've already seen and know to come. You might not like it, but Gohan is important right now.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:18 pm

Whatever wrote:
kinisking wrote:
Whatever wrote:You know what Gohan i want?A Gohan that pays the consequences for his actions,we only had that once and that was in the Buu saga and he still had a 2nd chance which he screwed up again.
No Piccolo taking a hit or dying for him again like in the previous episode/rof/saiyan saga.
No Goku or Trunks dying because of his own mistakes like in the cell saga.
No second chance like in the cell and buu saga,the others make one mistake and thats it for them.

Just let him suffer for his own mistakes instead of the others suffering for them or taking the blow for him.
I feel like the same could apply to Vegeta, yet you seem to specifically hate Gohan.
So since you mention Vegeta i assume you agree with me?I don't hate Gohan as a character but i hate how the narrative shields him from his own mistakes.

The same does not apply for Vegeta because:
Freeza saga:What Freeza did to him,he destroyed him and then made him cry like a bitch.
Cell saga:After helping Cell reach his perfect form,Cell destroyed him and then 1 hitko bitchslapped him in the cell games.
Buu saga:After having his mid life crisis and helping awakening Majin buu,Buu rekted him and then Vegeta killed himself for nothing.Even then he came back to life only to become Kid buu's punching bag while Goku is the one to finish him.
BOG:He did nothing wrong there.
Rof:He took to long finishing of Frieza only for him to be killed by him again.
U6 arc:He stole his teamate win but at the least Hit destroyed him.
Future Trunks Arc:He did nothing wrong but he still got rekted by Black all the same.

You could say Vegeta got away from mass genocide pretty lightly but he did pay for his mistakes at the least,the same cannot be said about Gohan since somebody else suffers for them in his place outside of the time Super buu absorbed him(failling to catch the earring was his 2nd chance that he screwed up,the first one was when he played around with Buu but Piccolo and Gotenks were the ones to suffer from that mistake).
Gohan fucks up. That's a certainty. But he does pay it back.

Gohan paid for his mistakes in the saiyan saga by soloing Vegeta and getting his ass beat. Remember he was the one that decided to go help Goku. If it weren't for that decision, Vegeta would have won.

Gohan fucked up in the cell saga but he paid it back when he killed cell. Say Vegeta helped him all you want but who saved Vegetas life ?

Boo saga, Gohan died.

Rof saga, Gohan literally sacrificed his own body. Not even sure if it could be considered a mistake considering it was just a case of Freeza being stronger though.

Universal survival: We'll see what he does.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:59 pm

kinisking wrote:
Whatever wrote:
kinisking wrote: I feel like the same could apply to Vegeta, yet you seem to specifically hate Gohan.
So since you mention Vegeta i assume you agree with me?I don't hate Gohan as a character but i hate how the narrative shields him from his own mistakes.

The same does not apply for Vegeta because:
Freeza saga:What Freeza did to him,he destroyed him and then made him cry like a bitch.
Cell saga:After helping Cell reach his perfect form,Cell destroyed him and then 1 hitko bitchslapped him in the cell games.
Buu saga:After having his mid life crisis and helping awakening Majin buu,Buu rekted him and then Vegeta killed himself for nothing.Even then he came back to life only to become Kid buu's punching bag while Goku is the one to finish him.
BOG:He did nothing wrong there.
Rof:He took to long finishing of Frieza only for him to be killed by him again.
U6 arc:He stole his teamate win but at the least Hit destroyed him.
Future Trunks Arc:He did nothing wrong but he still got rekted by Black all the same.

You could say Vegeta got away from mass genocide pretty lightly but he did pay for his mistakes at the least,the same cannot be said about Gohan since somebody else suffers for them in his place outside of the time Super buu absorbed him(failling to catch the earring was his 2nd chance that he screwed up,the first one was when he played around with Buu but Piccolo and Gotenks were the ones to suffer from that mistake).
Gohan fucks up. That's a certainty. But he does pay it back.

Gohan paid for his mistakes in the saiyan saga by soloing Vegeta and getting his ass beat. Remember he was the one that decided to go help Goku. If it weren't for that decision, Vegeta would have won.

Gohan fucked up in the cell saga but he paid it back when he killed cell. Say Vegeta helped him all you want but who saved Vegetas life ?

Boo saga, Gohan died.

Rof saga, Gohan literally sacrificed his own body. Not even sure if it could be considered a mistake considering it was just a case of Freeza being stronger though.

I mean we could basically say that for Goku too if we're playing that card. If not for narrative convenience, the story would have ended long ago from his bad decisions. Except worse since he always gets just a mere slap on the wrist, and usually is never looked at differently.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:13 pm

As someone whose least favorite character in the series is Gohan, I'll be extremely surprised AND disappointed if he's not somehow involved with the climax of the arc after all the build-up.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:55 pm

Kagari wrote:
Shinda Forever wrote:

Probably not. As Arched said he's gotten loads of development this arc, only second to Goku. VJump also mentioned he'll be playing a big role so to say he'll be a "nobody" is a bit unfair given what we've already seen and know to come. You might not like it, but Gohan is important right now.
when did they say that?

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:00 pm

Doctor. wrote:As someone whose least favorite character in the series is Gohan, I'll be extremely surprised AND disappointed if he's not somehow involved with the climax of the arc after all the build-up.
Worse than Goten. Worse than Broly. Daaaamn that's a lotta hate to en scope every corner of the series.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:02 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:As someone whose least favorite character in the series is Gohan, I'll be extremely surprised AND disappointed if he's not somehow involved with the climax of the arc after all the build-up.
Worse than Goten. Worse than Broly. Daaaamn that's a lotta hate to en scope every corner of the series.
Goten is whatever. Broly isn't a character and frankly I've warmed up to him after we got Kale, who I completely forgot when making that post. Gohan is my second least favorite, then... :P

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:10 pm

pacz360 wrote:
Kagari wrote:
when did they say that?
In the most recent issue.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:15 pm

Kagari wrote:
pacz360 wrote:
Kagari wrote:
when did they say that?
In the most recent issue.
Show it m8 cause I don't remember the recent issue saying that plus I'm dealing with Irma hitting my ass in florida
Gohan playing a big role doesn't surprise me anyways given how the things been for him in this arc

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:58 am

kinisking wrote: Gohan fucks up. That's a certainty. But he does pay it back.

Boo saga, Gohan died.

How usefull Gohan is,is not the point i am trying to make because he is usefull.
The point i am trying to make is how the narrative is giving him 2nd chances way more than other characters(even Goku)and most of the time other characters suffer from his own mistakes but not him(in Vegeta's case others suffer from his mistakes but he suffers as well because of them).

Saiyan saga:He screwed up twice, one by not attacking Nappa and secondly by getting Piccolo killed for him but he did help in the Vegeta battle.
Freeza saga:Every time he helped someone he needed saving himself.
Cell saga:Because he took too long to finish Cell he got both Goku and Trunks killed(thats what i am talking about,others paying for his own mistake),got a 2nd chance and killed Cell.Not gonna talk about Vegeta since he screwed up more in that saga but he never got a 2nd chance to kill Cell like Gohan.
Buu saga:Gohan screwed up against Super buu but Piccolo and Gotenks had to pay the price for that mistake,since they are the ones that got absorbed and all.
Gohan got a 2nd chance but failled since he could not catch an earring and the narrative finnaly made him pay up for his own mistakes.

Rof saga:I don't count him not training as his mistake(since its part of his character)since it would not matter against Freeza even if he trained anyways.
But thats an other case of the narrative shielding him from death by having Piccolo die in his place instead when there was no reason for him not to be the one to die.

Universal saga:He defeated 2 opponents so far but Piccolo yet again had to pay for Gohan's shortcomings when he had to shield him from the lasers.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:46 am

Whatever wrote: How usefull Gohan is,is not the point i am trying to make because he is usefull.
The point i am trying to make is how the narrative is giving him 2nd chances way more than other characters(even Goku)and most of the time other characters suffer from his own mistakes but not him(in Vegeta's case others suffer from his mistakes but he suffers as well because of them).

Saiyan saga:He screwed up twice, one by not attacking Nappa and secondly by getting Piccolo killed for him but he did help in the Vegeta battle.
Freeza saga:Every time he helped someone he needed saving himself.
Cell saga:Because he took too long to finish Cell he got both Goku and Trunks killed(thats what i am talking about,others paying for his own mistake),got a 2nd chance and killed Cell.Not gonna talk about Vegeta since he screwed up more in that saga but he never got a 2nd chance to kill Cell like Gohan.
Buu saga:Gohan screwed up against Super buu but Piccolo and Gotenks had to pay the price for that mistake,since they are the ones that got absorbed and all.
Gohan got a 2nd chance but failled since he could not catch an earring and the narrative finnaly made him pay up for his own mistakes.

Rof saga:I don't count him not training as his mistake(since its part of his character)since it would not matter against Freeza even if he trained anyways.
But thats an other case of the narrative shielding him from death by having Piccolo die in his place instead when there was no reason for him not to be the one to die.

Universal saga:He defeated 2 opponents so far but Piccolo yet again had to pay for Gohan's shortcomings when he had to shield him from the lasers.
I will say that the Saiyan and Namek Saga should not be held against Gohan. He was five in the Saiyan Saga with no live combat experience, so Piccolo was expecting too much for Gohan not to be scared out of his mind. He also did his best on Namek and made no real mistakes. In fact, his fast thinking got one of the Dragon Balls from Vegeta.

I do agree with the Cell Saga, but I think him losing his father for seven years was him paying for his mistake since it was an emotional Buu. I also agree on the Buu Saga and I am happy that Super addressed this weakness after decades.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:43 am

HeroR wrote: I will say that the Saiyan and Namek Saga should not be held against Gohan. He was five in the Saiyan Saga with no live combat experience, so Piccolo was expecting too much for Gohan not to be scared out of his mind. He also did his best on Namek and made no real mistakes. In fact, his fast thinking got one of the Dragon Balls from Vegeta.

I do agree with the Cell Saga, but I think him losing his father for seven years was him paying for his mistake since it was an emotional Buu. I also agree on the Buu Saga and I am happy that Super addressed this weakness after decades.
Well the mistakes he made during the saiyan and namek saga are justifiable because of his age but they are mistakes nonetheless,after all Piccolo does not get any free passes for the mistakes he made just because he was 3 when he fought Goku or 8-9 years old during the saiyan and freeza saga.

Cell saga in the end was not as much as losing his father but Goku choosing to stay dead,the reason Goku was absent for 7 years was not because death was stopping him but because he wanted to stay dead.
ArchedThunder wrote:
Shinda Forever wrote: The ending is just bullshit, they also pushed Krillin and we all know how it ended.
Krillin's Push was nothing like Gohan's.
To be fair Krillin was pushed a lot and i mean A LOT.
Not only he beat Gohan and outmaneuvered Goku(not to mention the episodes he had before that of him getting his fighting spirit back) but Goku was begging him to join,the strongest mortal on U7 was begging him to join.He also had Beerus ordering him to last till the end.

Lets not forget that when he was fighting Gohan,Goku was rooting for him and even before the match telling Gohan that Krillin will be fine,showing enormous trust on him on par if not greater than the one he showed for Gohan.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:54 am

Whatever wrote: Well the mistakes he made during the saiyan and namek saga are justifiable because of his age but they are mistakes nonetheless,after all Piccolo does not get any free passes for the mistakes he made just because he was 3 when he fought Goku or 8-9 years old during the saiyan and freeza saga.

Cell saga in the end was not as much as losing his father but Goku choosing to stay dead,the reason Goku was absent for 7 years was not because death was stopping him but because he wanted to stay dead.
Piccolo also has his memories from King Piccolo, so while he is only a few years older than Gohan, he's mentally as old as Kami. So you can't compare Gohan with Piccolo.

Goku had the choice to even remained dead because he died, which wouldn't have happened if Gohan killed Cell when he had the chance.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:00 am

HeroR wrote: Piccolo also has his memories from King Piccolo, so while he is only a few years older than Gohan, he's mentally as old as Kami. So you can't compare Gohan with Piccolo.

Goku had the choice to even remained dead because he died, which wouldn't have happened if Gohan killed Cell when he had the chance.
Gohan at 5 years old was mentally older than Goku was at 13 or Goten and Trunks due to experiencing all of this chaos and mayhem at early age,while Piccolo was mentally older than him they are the same case.
Both were kids but they both were mentally older than their real age.