"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Skar
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Skar » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:27 am

MeMeDZEHH wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:45 pmI know that, i've never said a DB anime is guaranted next year, i'm just saiying with digimon ending next year, some staff will be free to go to another show
Yeah who knows. I remember when fans were claiming "DBS is 100% guaranteed without a shadow of a doubt to return in 2019 because it makes too much money!" and now it's a maybe it'll come back in 2021 if Toei isn't busy with something else. They could adapt Broly and Moro while working on the next movie but one animator said they don't want to rush it so I think we'll get a movie first in 2021 or 2022 before the anime returns.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:58 am

At this point I would expect the anime to come back first before a new movie, because they will most likely want to adapt Moro before jumping into new stuff.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

head_cha_la
Not-So-Newbie

Post by head_cha_la » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:45 pm

We already know that Digimon Adventure (2020) was going to last only 1 year, now we know how many episodes Digimon Adventure will do. 66 episodes.

Source: https://www.toei-animation.com/catalog/ ... ture-2020/

MeMeDZEHH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MeMeDZEHH » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:59 pm

head_cha_la wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:45 pm We already know that Digimon Adventure (2020) was going to last only 1 year, now we know how many episodes Digimon Adventure will do. 66 episodes.

Well, 66 episodes with the CoVID delay we had, it means it's ending in september if i'm right ?

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:48 pm

head_cha_la wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:45 pm We already know that Digimon Adventure (2020) was going to last only 1 year, now we know how many episodes Digimon Adventure will do. 66 episodes.

Weird, this means it will possibly end in September 12th but this is assuming no break happen midway.
Most likely they have planned for 2 episodes to be skipped, so that the show after it will begin with October’s cour.

So the earliest Super can come back is October 2021. Jeez, doesn’t sound too good.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:14 am

emperior wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:48 pmSo the earliest Super can come back is October 2021. Jeez, doesn’t sound too good.
With the exception of Digimon fusion being 79 episodes, every other show was around 50, so this is a very odd number. I wonder if they'll extend it beyond 66, to 100 maybe. I've been very vocal on believing DB's return to TV being a when, not an if, but the more time passes, the more I'm beginning to accept that it actually may not happen. I understand it needs better pre-production time, but I can't help but notice Toei giving every other franchise they have priority over it at this point. It also doesn't help that reliable sources such as Ajay and Geekdom said it was being worked on then cancelled or "stopped" out of nowhere.

head_cha_la
Not-So-Newbie

Post by head_cha_la » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:39 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:14 am
emperior wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:48 pmSo the earliest Super can come back is October 2021. Jeez, doesn’t sound too good.
With the exception of Digimon fusion being 79 episodes, every other show was around 50, so this is a very odd number. I wonder if they'll extend it beyond 66, to 100 maybe. I've been very vocal on believing DB's return to TV being a when, not an if, but the more time passes, the more I'm beginning to accept that it actually may not happen. I understand it needs better pre-production time, but I can't help but notice Toei giving every other franchise they have priority over it at this point. It also doesn't help that reliable sources such as Ajay and Geekdom said it was being worked on then cancelled or "stopped" out of nowhere.
They won't extend it, the producer of Digimon Adventure has already confirmed that there will only be one season, this anime exists only to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the TV series!

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:48 pm

We could just ask how far DBS got set back next time Toei has a conference/Interview. The people that have been answering questions about Super have been pretty upfront about it.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:16 pm

The only hint we have of something happening in 2021 comes from Toei’s last annual report:

Considering they said a movie was in the works, it’s possible that the release will be 2021.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:27 pm

emperior wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:16 pm Image
This doesn't mention Dragon Ball at all. That isn't a good sign.

MeMeDZEHH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MeMeDZEHH » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:24 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:27 pm
They mainly talk about 2020 and what's already announced. They sure won't talk about something they haven't even started to work on yet (the series who's gonna take the Digimon slot). So no, that's mean absolutely nothing

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:50 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:27 pmThis doesn't mention Dragon Ball at all. That isn't a good sign.
"New works of the leading titles are ongoing" might be referring to DB or One Piece since other leading titles are already mentioned. It is under 2021- so it might only confirm something is being worked on but not necessarily coming out next year.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:23 pm

MeMeDZEHH wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:24 pm
IntangibleFancy wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:27 pm
They mainly talk about 2020 and what's already announced. They sure won't talk about something they haven't even started to work on yet (the series who's gonna take the Digimon slot). So no, that's mean absolutely nothing
Are there any other shows that could also take Digimon's spot?

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:05 am

IntangibleFancy wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:23 pmAre there any other shows that could also take Digimon's spot?
Of course, they could bring back an older show, or adapt a new manga.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:26 am

In the last few years, Toei has rebooted or had sequels for DB, Digimon Adventure, Sailor Moon, Saint Seiya, and Dragon Quest. They might bring back another classic after Digimon. Someone theorized on here that Toei used DB as a "tent pole" to help fund other anime. DB is still Toei's highest earning franchise in all categories so there's probably no need to rush and it gives Toriyama more time while they use its success to work on other franchises.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:35 am

Skar wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:26 amIt gives Toriyama more time...
Why would he need more time ? he hasn't done anything since turning in Broly's script in 2017. I doubt he needs half the time he's gotten much less more for whatever lame script he's (maybe) working on.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:14 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:35 amWhy would he need more time ? he hasn't done anything since turning in Broly's script in 2017. I doubt he needs half the time he's gotten much less more for whatever lame script he's (maybe) working on.
Toriyama turned 65 this year so they have to respect their elders and give him as much time as he needs :P. An old member named Kei17 talked about a rumor that Toriyama was reluctant to continue after the Champa saga so it could be Toei wants to avoid that from happening again.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:50 am

Skar wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:14 amAn old member named Kei17 talked about a rumor that Toriyama was reluctant to continue after the Champa saga.
This adds to my speculation that Toriyama's involvement in the BOG movie was intended to be a one time contribution, which may lead to the Moro arc being the start of DB being exclusively written by Toyotaro (with supervision by Toriyama of course).

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:39 pm

Why are we still going by maybes and rumors? I learned my lesson and this cute little motto last year: "If it isn't straight from Toei, then it's probably a ploy"

Are they still going to hold interviews this year? Let's just ask them then, it's not like they've been secretive about DBS' condition.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:58 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:39 pmWhy are we still going by maybes and rumors?
Because that's all we've got. Apart from rumors, and a movie getting a green light, we've got nothing official since Super ended back in March 2018. Based on how successful the seasonal format of anime has become in the last decade, I think that's how DB will continue, with each arc in the manga being adapted per season. For example, the Moro arc will be adapted into 25 episodes, then we'll get a break until the next arc is complete for it to be adapted.