"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:35 pm

The Moro saga is one of the longest arc in the manga and you do have weekends where they have no new episodes. There's likely going to be filler content between episodes.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:00 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:35 pm The Moro saga is one of the longest arc in the manga and you do have weekends where they have no new episodes. There's likely going to be filler content between episodes.
We'll see. If Toei adapts it page by page like they're doing Dragon Quest these days then it won't be that long. If they do filler scenes and battles then yeah, that will extend it.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:26 pm

TheRed259 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:03 pm What does he say here?
https://twitter.com/CristhianPoni/statu ... 8736177156
This is from a image to text translator, so it’s probably slightly incorrect:

“Greetings We would like to inform you that the next work of Dragon Ball Super has already been decided. I have been blessed by Mr. Toriyama many times and have been in charge of the story, but this time I will work with Yoshitaka Nagayama, who is also known as a manga artist of "SDBH". I think Mr. Yoshito has a story that will probably surprise the fans, so please look forward to your next adventure. The next villain is also scary! (smile).”

So instead of having Toriyama supervise his arcs like with Moro and Granolah, the next manga arc will be made with Yoshitaka Nagayama.

If this is true… I don’t know how to feel.

EGonzo
Beyond Newbie

Post by EGonzo » Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:51 pm

I thought that was proven a fake in another thread

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:19 am

EGonzo wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:51 pm I thought that was proven a fake in another thread
Can you please link that thread?

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:12 am

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 4#p1746494

They only say that it looks fake, and there haven't been any updates since.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:27 am

Kinda hope its real, I believe Toyotaro & Yoshitaka Nagayama would inject some fresh ideas into story and broaden the scope.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:35 am

SaiyanGod117 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:27 am Kinda hope its real, I believe Toyotaro & Yoshitaka Nagayama would inject some fresh ideas into story and broaden the scope.
Does Yoshitaka know the characters like Toriyama? And he seems to be even more of a newbie than Toyotaro when it comes to making a manga...

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:41 pm

That thing is painfully fake. No need to discuss further, and please be wary going forward where you get your information from.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:08 am

Don't know how much this would affect the hypothetical prospect of Super 2.0 from a production standpoint but Dragon Quest: Adventure of Dai Anime will have 100 episodes

MuscleRobo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MuscleRobo » Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:57 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:08 am Don't know how much this would affect the hypothetical prospect of Super 2.0 from a production standpoint but Dragon Quest: Adventure of Dai Anime will have 100 episodes
With the yen being as weak as it is I've been making some Mandarake orders and I was surprised at how expensive Dai merchandise is. Already getting scalped a bit on figures.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:05 pm

Apparently it's just had it's 87th episode. Super 2 isn't gonna start in just 3 months so I imagine something else will be taking over it from it?

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:02 pm

danyq94 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:00 pm I do not understand why it is thought that the Super anime can skip the arcs of the manga.
I mean, all anime born from a manga adapts ALL the story arcs of the source manga.

And then, commercially speaking, all the things that appeared in the manga would become physical merchandise and video game stuff. They would never pass up such an opportunity.
Mate, you fail to understand that DBS anime was not adapted from a manga, it was an independent thing and the comic served to promote the same product. Toei doesn't have any obligation with any of the stories created by Toyotaro, they can decide to go to they own route and it would be fine.
Draconic wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:48 pm I'm fine with two more retellings. I'm sure the manga arcs will also be adapted, so you would go from:

Broly retelling
New arc - Moro
New arc - Granolah
Super Hero retelling

That's a lot better than the start of original Super...
How so? That's like a year or two with stories that everybody have seen. I guess people don't remember how bored they were with only 6 months of show running without actually new content until we got to Champa.

So yeah waiting two year tops to finally get into new content is actually worse than the start of original DBS.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:36 am

Noah wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:02 pm
danyq94 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:00 pm I do not understand why it is thought that the Super anime can skip the arcs of the manga.
I mean, all anime born from a manga adapts ALL the story arcs of the source manga.

And then, commercially speaking, all the things that appeared in the manga would become physical merchandise and video game stuff. They would never pass up such an opportunity.
Mate, you fail to understand that DBS anime was not adapted from a manga, it was an independent thing and the comic served to promote the same product. Toei doesn't have any obligation with any of the stories created by Toyotaro, they can decide to go to they own route and it would be fine.
Draconic wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:48 pm I'm fine with two more retellings. I'm sure the manga arcs will also be adapted, so you would go from:

Broly retelling
New arc - Moro
New arc - Granolah
Super Hero retelling

That's a lot better than the start of original Super...
How so? That's like a year or two with stories that everybody have seen. I guess people don't remember how bored they were with only 6 months of show running without actually new content until we got to Champa.

So yeah waiting two year tops to finally get into new content is actually worse than the start of original DBS.
The original super retellings were told in around 6 months. I think that was also due to them trying to buy time to improve the production, so I see no reason why Broly would run for 15 weeks like BoG, or Super Hero for 14 like Res F.

I think you can do justice to these movies in 10 episodes easily. That's only 2 months each. And if you actually expand on them with never before animated content and do small tweaks to the story, you can easily improve on them and keep people's attention. 2 months of retellings between new animated content is nothing that bad. It beats having stuff like the Commeson Arc, that's for sure.

As for animating Moro and Granolah, if the simple fact they are manga arcs, which we already know the stories of and they shouldn't waste time with them... well, that means we shouldn't adapt any anime ever, since we already have the mangas.

Besides that, you're assuming Toei won't actually change the stories up, which I think (and hope) they will. And if the story and characters are as different as in, say, the Zamasu arc, the animated retellings might actually be entertaining and terrible characters like Moro and Gas might actually become fun, the same way Black and Zamasu are more fun in the anime.

So the premises to do it like that, while keeping the audience engaged, are certainly there.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:27 am

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:05 pm Apparently it's just had it's 87th episode. Super 2 isn't gonna start in just 3 months so I imagine something else will be taking over it from it?
The anime airs on TV Tokyo, so DBS won’t be taking over its time slot since Dragon Ball only airs on Fuji TV. A completely different series will take DQ Dai’s time slot.

What this means is that if the DBS anime is returning, then DQ Dai’s production team will be transferred over to DBS’s production instead. A lot of the regular animators from DBS have been working on DQ Dai, World Trigger, Digimon and One Piece.

DBS will come back on air when Digimon wraps up (if the rumours are true). World Trigger’s last season wrapped up a few months ago, DQ Dai will end soon and so will Digimon. Hopefully most of the animators from those projects will come back and work on Dragon Ball again. I miss the days of seeing talented animators’ names attached to a Dragon Ball episode.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:29 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:27 am
Xeno Goku Black wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:05 pm Apparently it's just had it's 87th episode. Super 2 isn't gonna start in just 3 months so I imagine something else will be taking over it from it?
The anime airs on TV Tokyo, so DBS won’t be taking over its time slot since Dragon Ball only airs on Fuji TV. A completely different series will take DQ Dai’s time slot.

What this means is that if the DBS anime is returning, then DQ Dai’s production team will be transferred over to DBS’s production instead. A lot of the regular animators from DBS have been working on DQ Dai, World Trigger, Digimon and One Piece.

DBS will come back on air when Digimon wraps up (if the rumours are true). World Trigger’s last season wrapped up a few months ago, DQ Dai will end soon and so will Digimon. Hopefully most of the animators from those projects will come back and work on Dragon Ball again. I miss the days of seeing talented animators’ names attached to a Dragon Ball episode.
When will Digimon end?

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:36 pm

sangofe wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:29 am When will Digimon end?
Not sure. But if I had to guess, probably some time early next year. Digimon anime series don’t go on for a particularly long time. They’re usually around 50-70 episodes long. Ghost Game is currently around 30-something episodes in. With that logic, it might end sometime next year.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:54 pm

My guess is that Digimon will continue until April of 2023 and the be replaced by Super, assuming Karasawa and conpany take over Super immediately after Dai ends.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:42 pm

Most likely 2023 is the year DBS returns. There's just too much smoke:

- Dragon Quest Dai remake is confirmed to end this year (can get some staff from there)
- Digimon, which is using DBS time slot , is just a matter of time until it ends because Digimon animes are never long
- DBS producer teased something else besides Super Hero may come this year (anime announcement?!)
- DBS rerun that started on February 2021 on Fuji TV will end in 2023 (it's been one episode every Sunday)
- Toyotaro said in the future the new manga forms will appear in the games. Just like any other manga franchise, that doesn't happen until it gets animated. Same reason why he didn't have nothing of the Moro arc outside of the manga.

There's also more than enough material to bring the anime back. Two arcs are finished in the manga and if they retell the movies that makes 4 story arcs already.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.