"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:40 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:
Tao died from Buu, I think he is dead for good. They wish back everyone expect for the really evil ones. Meaning that characters like Dabra, Babidi, the two gun men that almost kill Mr. Satan and possibly Tao didn't get wish back.
Considering Krillin became a cop in F, and there were robbers featured in that movie... yeah, you can probably still expect Tao around.
Those are just normal robbers. They are bad, but not very evil. Pilaf and #17 got wish back and they are less evil then Tao was. Pilaf try to kill Goku and the others, but he was a never serious villain to begin with. #17 kill a truck driver and was made to kill Goku, but got wish back. I know the scene of Akkuman in the Buu saga was filler, but I would imagine he was brought back after he was killed off despite being a demon.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:08 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:
Tao died from Buu, I think he is dead for good. They wish back everyone expect for the really evil ones. Meaning that characters like Dabra, Babidi, the two gun men that almost kill Mr. Satan and possibly Tao didn't get wish back.
Considering Krillin became a cop in F, and there were robbers featured in that movie... yeah, you can probably still expect Tao around.
Those are just normal robbers. They are bad, but not very evil. Pilaf and #17 got wish back and they are less evil then Tao was. Pilaf try to kill Goku and the others, but he was a never serious villain to begin with. #17 kill a truck driver and was made to kill Goku, but got wish back. I know the scene of Akkuman in the Buu saga was filler, but I would imagine he was brought back after he was killed off despite being a demon.
Exactly. So who's to say Tao is gone? lol.

Admittedly, I'd love to see Mr. Satan encounter Tao again. Buu can come to his rescue, beat up Tao, and avenge Satan's master!
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:15 am

I would like to see Mr. Satan try to fight Freeza similar what he did with Cell. Mr. Satan has meet every main villain in DBZ expect for Freeza.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:24 am

I really, really, really hope Toriyama doesn't waste the opportunity to have Trunks and Goten meet Frieza before he finds Goku. Also, Buu. Given Frieza's connection with Future Trunks and awareness of Majin Buu, it absolutely baffles me Toriyama wouldn't include them in the film.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:34 am

The website was updated with a short summary for episode 3, it seems Kuririn's family will get their share of focus too.

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:38 am

Araki wrote:The website was updated with a short summary for episode 3, it seems Kuririn's family will get their share of focus too.
I'm really looking forward to this. Kuririn's family has never been focused on enough. Also, I'm sensing a bit of a trend here; Goku's family for episode one, Vegeta's family in episode 2, and Kuririn's family in episode 3. :think:
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:40 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:I would like to see Mr. Satan try to fight Freeza similar what he did with Cell. Mr. Satan has meet every main villain in DBZ expect for Freeza.
I've never thought of this before. I would love to see it! His interactions with Cell and Boo are great! :lol:
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

MasterVampire
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MasterVampire » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:10 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:I would like to see Mr. Satan try to fight Freeza similar what he did with Cell. Mr. Satan has meet every main villain in DBZ expect for Freeza.
Freeza would probably have the same reaction as Cell:

"His ignorance is painful...."

MaGyunia
Regular

Post by MaGyunia » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:44 am

MasterVampire wrote:
Freeza would probably have the same reaction as Cell:

"His ignorance is painful...."
Taking into account Freeza's absolutely ruthless personality, beyond finding Mr. Satan ridiculous, he would kill him, which is pretty much the reason why we've never seen and will never see such an encounter.

Freeza is the only major villain throughout all the arcs of DBZ who kills every single one who just happens to annoy him or even because they're just standing there, let alone for disappointing/betraying/challenging him, and the one who displays the least amount of respect towards life in general. He is more egotistical, ruthless, genocidal, maniacal, narcissistic and evil than anyone else in the series, hence, the perfect villain.

This doesn't mean he's my favourite one. I prefer many aspects of Cell, particularly in his perfect stage, or Vegeta in his early days back in the Saiya-jin saga (where he was pretty much a "smaller" version of Freeza himself, after two decades under him and being molded by the latter). The major villain I like the least is Majin Buu, in any of his forms but especially in his fat form. Choosing not to take into consideration the movies, of course, otherwise the insanity and psychotic personality of Brolly would push him close to the top. If we include DB, then, for those who really know the series, I think it can't even be argued whether or not Piccolo Daimao is a maniacal psychotic villain with a degree of evilness close to Freeza. After all, he's the incarnation of evil, but he adds arrogance and ruthlessness to that. Initially he was introduced as an attempt (rather successful one) to add more drama and seriousness to the series, but as they expanded the story in DBZ it becomes clear that his son/reincarnation, although at first ALMOST as evil as Piccolo Daimao himself, had the potential to eventually become absolutely "good", which he does right in the Saiya-jin saga. By the Freeza or Jinzouningen arc, Piccolo is pretty much 100% good. It took Vegeta almost the entirety of DBZ to undergo the same process.

It's rather fun to see how the fact that a given villain is particularly evil makes him such a great enemy character. The more ruthless and evil they are, the more we admire them and at the same time sympathize with the good guys' cause of taking him down.

MaGyunia
Regular

Post by MaGyunia » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:20 am

Metrite wrote:So, does it presently look like this new series is going to just retell the stories of BoG and FnF in its own way? If so, I guess those movies will effectively become like the first 3 DB movies; same characters and matching/similar story, but not the version that counts.

That is probably in part why I feel so disinterested in this new series so far. Taking place before the end of Z already causes enough issues, but now we already know several major plot points to come, like both the "new" transformations Goku and Vegeta will be reaching. Fat Beerus (I like that name better lol) and Lady Whis being the first new things revealed made me start to question if we'd even be getting much creativity. Oh well, I guess this universe 6 and Super DBs thing is something new that sounds interesting at least. I just hope it doesn't take too long to get there.
Although they could have chosen to basically maintain the previous sequence (Majin Buu arc - 2008 special - BoG - Fukkatsu no F - last 3 episodes of DBZ), there's more than one reason that makes it inevitable to have Beerus, Whis and the concept of Super Saiya-jin God Goku introduced in a different setting and circumstances. We can go back and forth on whether or not that was really necessary and they're doing it the right way, but I guess that they saw so much potential in Beerus' and Whis' background as characters that they wanted to expand on their stories and on their encounter with Goku, Vegeta and the others throughout a number of episodes, without the restrictions typical of a movie. The same applies, to a shorter degree, to Fukkatsu no F. It will get its own arc and we'll probably get to see a number of events that happened before and during Fukkatsu no F in the Freeza arc in DBSuper (namely Freeza training, which pretty much everyone, including myself, seems to be craving for - it would also serve the purpose of helping us understand a little bit better how Freeza managed to overcome such an enormous gap between his previous maximum level of power and the power of the likes of SSJG Goku, Beerus, Whis, SSGSSJ Goku and SSJGSSJ Vegeta).

We're basically going to have Beerus and Whis meet Goku and the others in different circumstances and at a different timing, as well as Goku reaching Super Saiya-jin God through another method when compared to the events of BoG, which will officially become "non-canon". It'll be the same characters and basically the same events, but at a different time and with some minor (or major) changes - everyone is still wondering how they'll go around the issue of having to change the way Goku reaches the stage of SSJG. We can only speculate at this point, we'll never know for sure until we get official info or, more likely, get to see what happens in the episodes themselves as they come out.

The "link" between Beerus' arc and Freeza's arc in DBSuper is what I'm looking forward to the most after the 6th Universe arc (which is, as you rightly said, the arc in which we'll actually get to see previously totally unexplored material, characters and villains), due to the fact that I really want to see Vegeta reaching Super Saiya-jin God himself (perhaps he'll reach it at the same time, or soon after Goku does it), Goku's and Vegeta's decision to go off to train with Whis and just how and why Goku and Vegeta managed/decided to go further and reach yet another stage (Super Saiya-jin God Super Saiya-jin).

Theoretically, the 2008 special can continue to be considered as a canon continuation to the main timeline (there's nothing there that would generate plot holes or contradict the fact that by that time - 2 years after the defeat of Kid Buu - Goku had already attained the stage of SSJG and met Beerus and Whis. The fact that he didn't use the SSJG form throughout that special was obviously due to the fact that he didn't need to, taking into account the lack of challenge Abo and Kado represented.

I've never liked the way DBZ ended, with that last Tenkaichi Budokai and the introduction of Uub, but unless the 6th Universe arc happens after that (which is obviously not going to happen), pretty much everything that happens throughout all the arcs of DBSuper will inevitably and eventually lead to that. We get 10 years to explore - and that's what they've been doing with the recent specials and movies, and now with the series -, but on the other hand I bet that Toriyama wishes he could go back and refrain from setting the end of DBZ 10 years after the Majin Buu arc. It's just a personal issue I have (not liking those last 3 episodes of DBZ). It just doesn't really feel like by the time of the last Tenkaichi Budokai and the appearance of Uub they've gone through all of these major events (meeting Beerus, the revival of Freeza and even the exploration of another Universe).

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:04 am

MaGyunia wrote:I've never liked the way DBZ ended, with that last Tenkaichi Budokai and the introduction of Uub.
You're in luck cause if Videl is announced to be pregnant then that'll mean Toriyama is rewriting the ending.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:29 am

^ Which would be ironic after showing it in Kai just before Super.
But at least, the answer would be definitive as to whether the epilogue still counts or not... though Pan being a small 9 years-old could be possible, couldn't it?
Is her age specifically mentionned?

Captain Space
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Captain Space » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:40 am

Cold Skin wrote:^ Which would be ironic after showing it in Kai just before Super.
But at least, the answer would be definitive as to whether the epilogue still counts or not... though Pan being a small 9 years-old could be possible, couldn't it?
It is; the announcer says she's 4 when she steps into the ring.
"Actually I didn’t know what Bulma’s real hair color was" --Toriyama

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:49 am

Captain Space wrote: Mr. Satan's apprentice (one of them, anyway) and his...agent? PR lady? I forget what she was exactly.
All three of them make a brief appearance.

Captain Space
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Captain Space » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:54 am

Oh, haha, I didn't notice him at all.
"Actually I didn’t know what Bulma’s real hair color was" --Toriyama

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:55 am

Captain Space wrote:
Cold Skin wrote:^ Which would be ironic after showing it in Kai just before Super.
It is; the announcer says she's 4 when she steps into the ring.
I see.
Then yes, something has to be changed due to the new time period chosen: either Videl won't be pregnant yet and therefore the way to access the Super Saiyan God will be altered (compared to Battle of Gods), or Videl will still be pregnant and therefore Pan's age will be altered (perhaps retconning the whole epilogue itself in the process, or only her age).

I think the former is more likely.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:07 am

They don't necessarily have to retcon anything, it could happen like this...

Beerus wakes up, talks to Whis about his dream, then goes to work destroying planets > Goku gets money from Mr Satan and goes to Kaio's planet > Years pass, cue montage of Gohan's wedding, Goku and Vegeta training, planets getting destroyed, Trunks and Goten shenanigans > Beerus remembers his dream about SSG > Bulmas party begins > Beerus returns home, talks to the Oracle Fish, then visits Kaio's planet.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:44 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote:They don't necessarily have to retcon anything, it could happen like this...
They don't have to and they probably won't. The latest episode summary corroborates what I thought all along, the movies are not being rewritten. The series will just work around them.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:47 am

Luso Saiyan wrote:
UpFromTheSkies wrote:They don't necessarily have to retcon anything, it could happen like this...
They don't have to and they probably won't. The latest episode summary corroborates what I thought all along, the movies are not being rewritten. The series will just work around them.
Bulma's birthday is taking place on a cruise ship...
And we know that the movies aren't going to be "worked around" because episode 4 and 5 are both focused on BoG stuff.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:55 am

ArchedThunder wrote:Bulma's birthday is taking place on a cruise ship...
The courtyard in BoG where the party is taking place transforms into a ship.
ArchedThunder wrote:And we know that the movies aren't going to be "worked around" because episode 4 and 5 are both focused on BoG stuff.
What exactly is known about episodes 4 and 5?