"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:47 pm

These are Toei's results for this year's 3rd quarter (July-September) and it seems DB brought in 8.4 billion yen compared to last year's same quarter in which it brought in 10.8 billion yen. Despite being a decline, keep in mind that DB will have gone 3 full years without an anime by next March, and 2 years without a movie this December. These numbers are exactly why the powers at be are investing their time and money in other animated projects, DB doesn't need them to make $$$.

head_cha_la
Not-So-Newbie

Post by head_cha_la » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:44 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:47 pm
These are Toei's results for this year's 3rd quarter (July-September) and it seems DB brought in 8.4 billion yen compared to last year's same quarter in which it brought in 10.8 billion yen. Despite being a decline, keep in mind that DB will have gone 3 full years without an anime by next March, and 2 years without a movie this December. These numbers are exactly why the powers at be are investing their time and money in other animated projects, DB doesn't need them to make $$$.
It's starting to decline, and the next few quarters will probably also decline since there is no production.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:42 pm

Nanatsu88 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:53 pm Interesting news!
It may well be that it has nothing to do with the return of the anime series or a movie but it is something interesting! Shueisha registered this new web domain at the end of September:
http://dragon-ball-official.com/

https://twitter.com/kamisamaexp/status/ ... 63424?s=20

I repeat that it may not have to do with a new animated project. It could be a new video game from the franchise or another product. What is clear that if it is a new animated project it cannot be a series today, it makes more sense that it is a movie that is announced at the Jump Festa and hence the web.

We will see if there is any announcement in the next few weeks :D
It’s most likely related to either the manga or anime if Shueisha registered it.

In my opinion it will be just a general Dragon Ball website considering there’s not one at the moment.
Although the launch of it may very well coincide with the announcement of something new.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:46 pm

I don't know much about the topic, but I think it makes complete sense to continue the anime now. I mean, the Moro arc is basically over. Next month will most likely be the ending of that arc. So it makes sense to bring the anime back in 2021, so that it can start adapting the Moro arc. I think it took 3 years for the anime to return because they wanted to avoid the production issues the first arcs of Super 1.0 had, but also because they didn't want to just start adapting the Moro arc while it was still ongoing in the manga (it's been ongoing for 2 years after Super went on hiatus).

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:06 pm

It’s also worth noting that the website https://www.dqdai-official.com/ was registered by Shueisha, too.

Maybe it’s finally time for Dragon Ball’s next animated thing to be announced soon. And it may very well be the animated adaptation of Moro’s arc. It’s a remote possibility but they may have decided that from now on the anime will adapt the manga, which will be continued to be written mostly by Toyotaro with Toriyama’s help, and maybe there will be some movie every once in a while completely written by Toriyama and set in between the various arcs.
Or at least, this is what I wish will happen.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:34 pm

emperior wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:06 pmMaybe it’s finally time for Dragon Ball’s next animated thing to be announced soon.
We've known for 2 years now that a new movie was green lit, so it might be that.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:17 pm

The thought of Super coming back just to waste time adapting the Broly movie into episodes with worse animation and then the Moro arc after that is giving me the heebie jeebies.

I want Super to come back but I absolutely dread the possibility of another movie adaption arc, and the Moro arc in the anime needs to be completely overhauled from the manga version. It will probably kill any goodwill Super has left if it comes back with an underwhelming arc again after a long hiatus.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:30 pm

precita wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:17 pm The thought of Super coming back just to waste time adapting the Broly movie into episodes with worse animation and then the Moro arc after that is giving me the heebie jeebies.
If it would be Shintani styled, then even episodes with "worse animation" would still look enjoyable enough. Current One Piece arc has a similar style to DBS Broly and it's pleasant to watch.

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:48 pm

I hope if the anime comes back and they adapt the Moro arc that they fix the Goku writhing, I hope they take a hint from the Goku trending on twitter for the bad scene of him giving Moro a senzu.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:51 pm

precita wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:17 pm The thought of Super coming back just to waste time adapting the Broly movie into episodes with worse animation and then the Moro arc after that is giving me the heebie jeebies.

I want Super to come back but I absolutely dread the possibility of another movie adaption arc, and the Moro arc in the anime needs to be completely overhauled from the manga version. It will probably kill any goodwill Super has left if it comes back with an underwhelming arc again after a long hiatus.
I know Broly getting a series version is likely, but I don't know if it's a sure thing.

There's nothing Super 2.0 can start with that will be worse than how Super 1.0 started out, so however it starts won't impact it at all.

Nanatsu88

Post by Nanatsu88 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:28 pm

emperior wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:06 pm It’s also worth noting that the website https://www.dqdai-official.com/ was registered by Shueisha, too.

Maybe it’s finally time for Dragon Ball’s next animated thing to be announced soon. And it may very well be the animated adaptation of Moro’s arc. It’s a remote possibility but they may have decided that from now on the anime will adapt the manga, which will be continued to be written mostly by Toyotaro with Toriyama’s help, and maybe there will be some movie every once in a while completely written by Toriyama and set in between the various arcs.
There is the key to all this.

Shueisha registered the domain of Dragon Quest Dai shortly before releasing information with the new anime.

The name is exactly the same. On other occasions like with the movies they recorded the name of dragon ball and the year. It's very rare that they now make a web registration like Dai's just to promote the manga.

The normal thing is that they do it to promote something like Dai, be it series or movie.

For the dates that we are, it is normal that it is not anime. If the anime comes back after Digimon it would not be until September 2021 its premiere and I do not see any point in promoting the anime with so much time in advance. It is true that DQ Dai did it like that but this case strangely me.

This may make sense if it is a movie, although as I have commented, for the previous films the following names were registered: dragonball2013, dragonball2015 and dragonball2018.
It is strange that if it is a new movie they do not register it as dragonball2021.

It is not known what it could be, but taking the example of DQ Dai this new project has a good chance of being something animated.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:41 pm

Head of DB Room Iyoku had already mentionned a new movie being in pre-production two times now, for the first time 1,5 year ago.
If this refers to anything substantial it's probably that movie.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:33 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:41 pm Head of DB Room Iyoku had already mentionned a new movie being in pre-production two times now, for the first time 1,5 year ago.
When was the second?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:57 am

Nanatsu88 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:28 pm
emperior wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:06 pm It’s also worth noting that the website https://www.dqdai-official.com/ was registered by Shueisha, too.

There is the key to all this.

Shueisha registered the domain of Dragon Quest Dai shortly before releasing information with the new anime.
The name is exactly the same. On other occasions like with the movies they recorded the name of dragon ball and the year. It's very rare that they now make a web registration like Dai's just to promote the manga.

The normal thing is that they do it to promote something like Dai, be it series or movie.

For the dates that we are, it is normal that it is not anime. If the anime comes back after Digimon it would not be until September 2021 its premiere and I do not see any point in promoting the anime with so much time in advance. It is true that DQ Dai did it like that but this case strangely me.

This may make sense if it is a movie, although as I have commented, for the previous films the following names were registered: dragonball2013, dragonball2015 and dragonball2018.
It is strange that if it is a new movie they do not register it as dragonball2021.

It is not known what it could be, but taking the example of DQ Dai this new project has a good chance of being something animated.
Yeah it’s very rare for them to register new domains, and they usually anticipate announcements. Yet there’s a possibility that the site has been bought to advertise the next manga’s arc.

Though I don’t see why they couldn’t announce Super’s return this December, even if the show is supposed to be released in September. If they did the same thing with Dragon Quest they can do it with Super too. It seems like it’s a good strategy to create hype that far in advance and it would also clear any doubt about the production’s quality.

In fact I am quite positive we will get information about the next animated DB thing this Jump Festa, as this time around it seems like DB will have a big presence at the event and they are streaming it too so it will surely attract many viewers.
A teaser trailer would be quite the news.

By the way DQ Dai’s website was created in April, when the show had already been announced.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:50 am

IntangibleFancy wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:33 pm
Mister_Popo wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:41 pm Head of DB Room Iyoku had already mentionned a new movie being in pre-production two times now, for the first time 1,5 year ago.
When was the second?

First time: release blu-ray Broly.
Second time: last years Jump Festa.

It would a bit odd if Iyoku repeated that same message for the third time at this years Jump Festa.
Normally one would expect they'd come up with some news concerning that movie, which is already 1,5 year in pre-production.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:40 am

emperior wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:57 am

Though I don’t see why they couldn’t announce Super’s return this December

I do. I don't expect the anime to return in 2021: there is no staff, they would have to steal animators that are already scheduled for other series. Even when Digimon ends in september / oktober, their important top-tier animators will still be working on Dragon Quest, a very big project, and many other projects.

Some of them in a best case scenario may be able to combine DQ with a new DB-movie, but with a full-time or even seasonal DB-series? I doubt it.

If it's something animated: it's the movie, otherwise it may be the manga getting additional promotion.
Although it's uncommon for manga arcs to get a domain like that, it's not entirely impossible.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:15 am

Mister_Popo wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:40 amI don't expect the anime to return in 2021: there is no staff, they would have to steal animators that are already scheduled for other series. Even when Digimon ends in September / October, their important top-tier animators will still be working on Dragon Quest, a very big project, and many other projects.
DB returning next year would be a worst case scenario for the franchise, as they will be making the exact same mistake they made with it in 2015. Dragon Quest is clearly their big anime alongside One Piece, so trying to add DB to that will not only mess its quality up, but that of the other 2 as well. A producer at Toei already said DB won't return to TV until they're sure they can do it right, something that won't be possible until DQ is over.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:28 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:15 am
Mister_Popo wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:40 amI don't expect the anime to return in 2021: there is no staff, they would have to steal animators that are already scheduled for other series. Even when Digimon ends in September / October, their important top-tier animators will still be working on Dragon Quest, a very big project, and many other projects.
DB returning next year would be a worst case scenario for the franchise, as they will be making the exact same mistake they made with it in 2015. Dragon Quest is clearly their big anime alongside One Piece, so trying to add DB to that will not only mess its quality up, but that of the other 2 as well. A producer at Toei already said DB won't return to TV until they're sure they can do it right, something that won't be possible until DQ is over.

We also musn't forget the world will still be fighting Covid-19 next year.
Normal production schedules will remain difficult to attain, let alone a monstrous DB-DQ combination that would even be nearly impossible with good results in more certain times.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:01 pm

It's kinda crazy to think the manga could be moving onto new arcs while the anime is still done for another year or so till 2022. By then whatever comes after the Moro arc will also be done in the manga.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:06 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:28 pm
Matches Malone wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:15 am
We also musn't forget the world will still be fighting Covid-19 next year.
Normal production schedules will remain difficult to attain, let alone a monstrous DB-DQ combination that would even be nearly impossible with good results in more certain times.
It seems like DQ Dai will also shift more and more to 3D animation though, so it’s not really a given that it will keep on being such a staff demanding show. Also it’s difficult to tell whether or not there will be enough staff without being a Toei insider.

I wouldn’t dismiss a probable come back of Super in 2021 for those reasons alone.

Especially not when considering that Digimon, which is the show where most of the old Super regulars are currently on, seems like it is very little animated and a stillsfest (or so I have read around, despite the fact the first few episodes were very well animated and moved a lot). There’s a possibility that the decline in Digimon’s animation, despite the fact they got a break due to Covid which probably helped production as animators could work from home, can be explained by a possible shift of its staff to the next DB project.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”