"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Araki
Advanced Regular

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Araki » Sun May 17, 2015 1:22 pm

Basaku wrote:
Araki wrote:
sintzu wrote:So essentially 4 episodes covered at once? Wouldn't each monthly issue be quite extensive then? 50+ pages?
That depends..i don't think it's gonna be longer than 30-40 pages, but we have to wait and see.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun May 17, 2015 1:29 pm

What I'm hoping for is that they use the manga to cover things that are mentioned or implied in Super, but not actually shown, in order to expand the world of Super. For example, they could use the manga as a transition point between arcs, so while the Z fighters are doing one thing in the anime, they are showing the back story for a new event or character that's going to be introduced in the anime later on. It would be kind of boring if the manga simply mirrors exactly what's happening in the anime.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun May 17, 2015 1:35 pm

Re: optimism
Thank you! :3

Re: Super manga
Because it's my reference point: what Toei does with Precure's monthly manga is abridge whatever plot point happened that month. They never go beyond anything that hasn't aired.

What Toei used to do though, prior to Fresh, was do fillery slice of life with a brief glimpse at the battle scenes.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun May 17, 2015 1:46 pm

Chuquita wrote:Re: Super manga
Because it's my reference point: what Toei does with Precure's monthly manga is abridge whatever plot point happened that month. They never go beyond anything that hasn't aired.
The Super manga will have to go beyond what's been aired, though, since it's going to be released before the anime.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun May 17, 2015 1:56 pm

So it'll probably be like the F manga then. First half of ep 1 in June's, second half in July's?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sun May 17, 2015 1:57 pm

With regards to the Manga, I think the first edition will show what happened before Super - and the events leading up to it. The following edition will cover the events of the opening 2 episodes already shown, so that they never go past what hasn't aired. So a chapter covers one episode or something like that.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun May 17, 2015 2:03 pm

I feel like there wouldn't be much of a selling point for the manga if all it does is mirror what's already been aired on Super. If they are smart, you will need to read the manga to fully understand everything that's happening in the anime, then everyone will buy it.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun May 17, 2015 2:06 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote:
The Super manga will have to go beyond what's been aired, though, since it's going to be released before the anime.
Where does it say that?
UpFromTheSkies wrote:I feel like there wouldn't be much of a selling point for the manga if all it does is mirror what's already been aired on Super. If they are smart, you will need to read the manga to fully understand everything that's happening in the anime, then everyone will buy it.
That wouldn't be smart, that'd be dumb.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Sun May 17, 2015 2:07 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote:If they are smart, you will need to read the manga to fully understand everything that's happening in the anime, then everyone will buy it.
That wouldn't be smart. Animes that force the viewer to read the novel/manga or any different media to understand something aren't doing it right.
Sure Toei won't do that, as it isn't interested on pushing people away from the tv anime, which is the main product.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun May 17, 2015 2:08 pm

Cold Skin wrote:Man, people are unforgiving these days, about everything in every media. :?

Hope enough people will still be able to appreciate Dragon Ball Super (anime and manga) for what the awesome lucky thing that it is without spending their time excessively nitpicking.
Their a vocal minority thank god.

The majority of fans will probably appreciate it but on this site however I think they'll treat it like they do with Kai which is complaining about every small detail in every episode.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sun May 17, 2015 2:08 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
UpFromTheSkies wrote:
Where does it say that?
I guess what he's saying is, that V-Jump releases end of June, and Super begins in July, so this Manga in next month's V-Jump will be released before July.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun May 17, 2015 2:17 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote: I guess what he's saying is, that V-Jump releases end of June, and Super begins in July, so this Manga in next month's V-Jump will be released before July.
I don't see anything that says the first chapter will be in the next issue of V-Jump though.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun May 17, 2015 2:19 pm

Araki wrote:
UpFromTheSkies wrote:If they are smart, you will need to read the manga to fully understand everything that's happening in the anime, then everyone will buy it.
That wouldn't be smart. Animes that force the viewer to read the novel/manga or any different media to understand something aren't doing it right.
Sure Toei won't do that, as it isn't interested on pushing people away from the tv anime, which is the main product.
Well, you could still watch the anime and follow what's going on without the manga, but if you want to know more detail, then you would need to read the manga. For example, they could show what Goten and Trunks are up to while the anime is focused on Goku and Vegeta, or they could have a chapter that begins with something like "While Goku and Vegeta are busy battling this villain, a new story is beginning to unfold on a planet far away... ", and then tell the back story of a character that will be introduced in the anime later. I think it would be a great way to expand the world of Super.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun May 17, 2015 2:21 pm

sintzu wrote:
Cold Skin wrote:Man, people are unforgiving these days, about everything in every media. :?

Hope enough people will still be able to appreciate Dragon Ball Super (anime and manga) for what the awesome lucky thing that it is without spending their time excessively nitpicking.

The majority of fans will probably appreciate it but on this site however I think they'll treat it like they do with Kai which is complaining about every small detail in every episode.
Of course the people who come to the internet to discuss and learn about a work are a vocal minority. If the majority of the people who watch a TV series came to the internet to discuss, learn, and think about why it is they actually like or dislike a work of art the world would be completely different.

Works of art are not entitled to forgiveness just because. If "this is why I don't like this" is suddenly a demonic phrase worthy of scorn we're all best returning to the echo chambers from whence we came and not even bothering to use the internet at all.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

SSJ God Gogeta
I Live Here

Post by SSJ God Gogeta » Sun May 17, 2015 2:27 pm

Been away from the forum a couple of days and trying to catch up the best I can. Has anything been announced yet?
"I am neither Goku nor Vegeta! I am the one who will defeat you!!" - Gogeta

I'm that guy who makes the avatars

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun May 17, 2015 2:27 pm

SSJ God Gogeta wrote:Been away from the forum a couple of days and trying to catch up the best I can. Has anything been announced yet?
Just this http://www.shonengamez.com/2015/05/16/d ... n-as-well/

SSJ God Gogeta
I Live Here

Post by SSJ God Gogeta » Sun May 17, 2015 2:30 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote:
SSJ God Gogeta wrote:Been away from the forum a couple of days and trying to catch up the best I can. Has anything been announced yet?
Just this http://www.shonengamez.com/2015/05/16/d ... n-as-well/
Thanks!

So we're get a manga adaptation as well? Huh. That pretty cool! Awesome.
"I am neither Goku nor Vegeta! I am the one who will defeat you!!" - Gogeta

I'm that guy who makes the avatars

Vegitofaxx
Regular

Post by Vegitofaxx » Sun May 17, 2015 2:32 pm

As long as this doesn't result in any filler, I'm fine with it :D
Here lies a modified Doctor Who qoute. It was killed too early by the moderators. R.I.P.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steam: The Muncher of Da Biscuits.
PSN: Joeythekiller123
Playing XenoVerse on Pc. BP = 10370. Primary CaC: Tapaha. Always ready for an invite :D
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jackass, #1 Hellsing fan, Translator for the Danish version of DBM(always two pages ahead of you), Chilling on da forums 8)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun May 17, 2015 2:57 pm

I hope the manga is going to be a preview of new episodes, rather than an adaptation of previous episodes.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sun May 17, 2015 5:37 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
sintzu wrote:

Of course the people who come to the internet to discuss and learn about a work are a vocal minority. If the majority of the people who watch a TV series came to the internet to discuss, learn, and think about why it is they actually like or dislike a work of art the world would be completely different.

Works of art are not entitled to forgiveness just because. If "this is why I don't like this" is suddenly a demonic phrase worthy of scorn we're all best returning to the echo chambers from whence we came and not even bothering to use the internet at all.
Well said. I'm excited for a new Dragon Ball series, but I also have my own hang-ups with it because I don't know where DB goes from here. I mean what else is there to do besides have another conflict in which Goku and gang have to defeat another super strong opponent, and have Goku achieve another Super Saiyan level. Yeah, these are staples of franchise, but it's something that this franchise has numerous times over the years. Again, I'm excited, but I'm not expecting this to do anything that interesting or new. If it can be fun, then that's good, right?