"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by sangofe » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:05 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:58 am
sangofe wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:36 am
Mister_Popo wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:59 am

There were two years between BOG and ROF.
Let's say they do two years over the next movie. If they don't do an anime, that should be manageable.
Then it will release end 2020, beginning 2021. In 2018 we got the first small teaser in March i believe.
So we could be getting a very early first teaser somewhere during spring.
The first real trailers, probably around July, August. Somewhere around the Tokyo Olympics, where Goku will be a mascot btw.
I actually wish Dragon Ball were less of a success now because it would have made Toei release a TV anime faster... Now they're getting cash without effort (unless you count Dragon Ball Heroes) which really sucks.

I don't know what exactly TOEIs strategy is. Fact is, if you are a fan of other fantasy / sci fi- series, you have to pay for a HBO-, Netflix-, Prime-, Disney-you name it-subscription. But at least you are getting it. TOEI would pump a lot of money in a DB-anime, but a lot of content is streamed illegally world-wide, they are missing out a lot of potential money. If they'd just focuss on a new movie, chances are, even more people are going to buy a ticket to see it because a new animated "canon" DB-product is unique and hasn't been seen in recent years. That ticket sales-money is pretty much directly in the pocket. One real 'hypeboost' every two years with a new movie may actually suffice as an electroshock to hold the franchise alive and profitable. This while Heroes, games, toys, the manga etc ... just keep the merchandise-trade rolling in the meanwhile in order to keep sales up between the movies.
Movies won't keep the franchise at top for years. Do you think it's the movies that boosted the franchise this high? I don't think so.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:40 pm

sangofe wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:05 pm
sangofe wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:36 am

I actually wish Dragon Ball were less of a success now because it would have made Toei release a TV anime faster... Now they're getting cash without effort (unless you count Dragon Ball Heroes) which really sucks.

I don't know what exactly TOEIs strategy is. Fact is, if you are a fan of other fantasy / sci fi- series, you have to pay for a HBO-, Netflix-, Prime-, Disney-you name it-subscription. But at least you are getting it. TOEI would pump a lot of money in a DB-anime, but a lot of content is streamed illegally world-wide, they are missing out a lot of potential money. If they'd just focuss on a new movie, chances are, even more people are going to buy a ticket to see it because a new animated "canon" DB-product is unique and hasn't been seen in recent years. That ticket sales-money is pretty much directly in the pocket. One real 'hypeboost' every two years with a new movie may actually suffice as an electroshock to hold the franchise alive and profitable. This while Heroes, games, toys, the manga etc ... just keep the merchandise-trade rolling in the meanwhile in order to keep sales up between the movies.
Movies won't keep the franchise at top for years. Do you think it's the movies that boosted the franchise this high? I don't think so.

As you wish.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:46 am

Mister_Popo wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:40 pm

As you wish.
That reply makes no sense whatsoever... Look into details when the boost happened and tell me with a straight face that it wasn't because of the TV anime and the products around it. It would not have been on people's minds without weekly TV exposure.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:41 am

sangofe wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:46 am

As you wish.
That reply makes no sense whatsoever... Look into details when the boost happened and tell me with a straight face that it wasn't because of the TV anime and the products around it. It would not have been on people's minds without weekly TV exposure.

With "As you wish" i meant 'you may continue to think the anime will return very soon'. But in that case you may be presented with a number of disappointments. It can always return, but we may have to wait untill the movie. I agree the anime is by far their strongest tool to boost a hype. But i repeat: i don't know what TOEIs strategy behind this is. At first i thought they were just putting the show on hiatus to fix some issues. It's taking too long, as they should have fixed those and taken a massive lead in the production schedule by now. I only made a guess as why they may have taken the route of the movie only formula, what their possible strategy could be. They could also bring the anime back if the numbers really start to drop. We'll have to wait and see.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:24 am

Mister_Popo wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:41 am
sangofe wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:46 am

As you wish.

With "As you wish" i meant 'you may continue to think the anime will return very soon'. But in that case you may be presented with a number of disappointments. It can always return, but we may have to wait untill the movie. I agree the anime is by far their strongest tool to boost a hype. But i repeat: i don't know what TOEIs strategy behind this is. At first i thought they were just putting the show on hiatus to fix some issues. It's taking too long, as they should have fixed those and taken a massive lead in the production schedule by now. I only made a guess as why they may have taken the route of the movie only formula, what their possible strategy could be. They could also bring the anime back if the numbers really start to drop. We'll have to wait and see.
I never said I was thinking it'll return " very soon". Although I wish, I don't think so. Toei's a cheap company. They'll always make the minimum required efforts. That's sad, but true. And I'm starting to think they're intentionally doing this here thinking "Hey, we're making a lot more money now than if we were spending money making new episodes, let's not give people new episodes until our sales drop." They might be trying to wait until the next movie to check how sales go, who knows. I'm starting to really dislike Toei because of several reasons...

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:17 pm

sangofe wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:24 am
I never said I was thinking it'll return " very soon". Although I wish, I don't think so. Toei's a cheap company. They'll always make the minimum required efforts.

I understand your frustration.
Given the amount of money they are making, it would not be entirely reasonable IMO if they'd not create an animated version of the events that take place between Broly and the next movie (Moro etc). Even if they wouldn't bring back the full-time weekly anime, they could at least give the fans a short season or some OVAs/tv-specials to adapt the manga. If the detailed source material exists and Toriyama approves it, i don't see a reason why it wouldn't get the green light to be animated, other than not willing to make the effort.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:16 am

If Goku ends up mastering UI for real in the current manga arc, then it would be weird not to adapt it.
And if they are working on the next movie, then does it mean the manga’s story will be completely different due to the events of the GP arc? Then why would they even let Toyotaro draw a new story if it’s never going to be animated and will be ignored by Toriyama?

Sure they could do a Moro movie but then it wouldn’t be Toriyama’s story, unless he rewrites all of it to fit in a movie format. But maybe the next story will be set after the end of the manga and Goku will already have mastered UI, with the manga showing us exactly how while the movie keeps it sort of vague?

The current situation is quite weird. It would be nicer if we got Moro’s arc animated, even if just for a one cour anime, before jumping to the next movie.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:27 am

emperior wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:16 am If Goku ends up mastering UI for real in the current manga arc, then it would be weird not to adapt it.
And if they are working on the next movie, then does it mean the manga’s story will be completely different due to the events of the GP arc? Then why would they even let Toyotaro draw a new story if it’s never going to be animated and will be ignored by Toriyama?
What if Moro ends up being a self-contained manga only saga? It might've only been intended as something to hold over fans while Toriyama works on the story for the next movie. If Goku does master UI, I agree that could mean this saga will be adapted at some point.

I have to admit that I'm happy the secret panel was for an entirely new anime. I just hope Toei is the studio that's going to be working it and it takes Kitaro's timeslot.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:18 pm

Skar wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:27 am
emperior wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:16 am If Goku ends up mastering UI for real in the current manga arc, then it would be weird not to adapt it.
What if Moro ends up being a self-contained manga only saga? It might've only been intended as something to hold over fans while Toriyama works on the story for the next movie. If Goku does master UI, I agree that could mean this saga will be adapted at some point.

I have to admit that I'm happy the secret panel was for an entirely new anime. I just hope Toei is the studio that's going to be working it and it takes Kitaro's timeslot.
You're happy about it?

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:56 pm

The Ultimate Meme! Dragon Ball version!

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:27 pm

sangofe wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:18 pmYou're happy about it?
I'm personally only looking forward to Dragonball continuing as movies. Actually I prefer it ends but if they feel the need to continue until it stops making money then I would choose a movie every few years over an anime. Toriyama's outlines apparently aren't very detailed so they seem to work better told as movies than stretched out and turned into sagas.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:07 pm

Am I the only one that hopes they don't go the movie route. Movies are all style and no substance. Like the recent Broly one, it was visually stunning, sure, but we missed out on a lot of cool things like Raditz and Vegeta fighting and the fight that led to Bardock getting roughed up like that. They don't have enough time to add everything and I feel like the quality suffers because of that. Good fights are nice but I can watch those on youtube any time I want.

On a side note: I know Super is going to come back eventually, but weren't there a few things that said it ended?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:38 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:07 pmMovies are all style and no substance. Like the recent Broly one, it was visually stunning, sure, but we missed out on a lot of cool things like Raditz and Vegeta fighting and the fight that led to Bardock getting roughed up like that. They don't have enough time to add everything
But that's only because they wanted to shove Broly down our throats once again. They did have plenty of time to show all that and more (1 hour and 40 minutes, to be precise), but preferred to reduce the most important part to satisfy whatever people get by seeing "nice visuals" and battles. The problem is Broly, not time.

Then again, it's not like a 2-hour movie would kill someone... By today's standards, that's a great running time, I guess.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:54 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:07 pm Am I the only one that hopes they don't go the movie route. Movies are all style and no substance. Like the recent Broly one, it was visually stunning, sure, but we missed out on a lot of cool things like Raditz and Vegeta fighting and the fight that led to Bardock getting roughed up like that. They don't have enough time to add everything and I feel like the quality suffers because of that. Good fights are nice but I can watch those on youtube any time I want.

On a side note: I know Super is going to come back eventually, but weren't there a few things that said it ended?
My main issue with the movie route is that the next one will retcon the previous one. The full power of Beerus was retconned, the Saiyan Beyond God thing was retconned and Broly or Gogeta will be retconned soon enough

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:29 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:07 pm Am I the only one that hopes they don't go the movie route. Movies are all style and no substance. Like the recent Broly one, it was visually stunning, sure, but we missed out on a lot of cool things like Raditz and Vegeta fighting and the fight that led to Bardock getting roughed up like that.
I didn't feel we missed out by not including those scenes. I would've preferred if they gave Minus as little time as possible and used that to focus more on Paragus and Broly. Either way, those scenes could still be added in an extended cut of the movie without needing it to be stretched out to a +10 episode saga. If the anime does return, there probably will be a movie retelling but I doubt it's going to be much better than the last two.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:43 am

IntangibleFancy wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:07 pm Am I the only one that hopes they don't go the movie route. Movies are all style and no substance. Like the recent Broly one, it was visually stunning, sure, but we missed out on a lot of cool things like Raditz and Vegeta fighting and the fight that led to Bardock getting roughed up like that. They don't have enough time to add everything and I feel like the quality suffers because of that. Good fights are nice but I can watch those on youtube any time I want.

Read my posts above and see you're not!

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:43 pm

Juju Kaisen is going to be made by TOHO (Godzilla etc), which is not the same as TOEI.
It might be the case Kitaro will get replaced by still another anime made by TOEI, assuming TOEI wants to retain its classic one hour-block in the morning with One Piece.

Source: Saiyko Devin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTG_F2BVDXA

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:33 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:43 pm Juju Kaisen is going to be made by TOHO (Godzilla etc), which is not the same as TOEI.
It might be the case Kitaro will get replaced by still another anime made by TOEI, assuming TOEI wants to retain its classic one hour-block in the morning with One Piece.

Damn I was hoping it would be Toei! Oh well hopefully this Juju anime takes Kitaro's timeslot. I'm not familiar with the schedule in Japan but are there any other major timeslots available?

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:39 pm

Skar wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:33 pm
Mister_Popo wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:43 pm Juju Kaisen is going to be made by TOHO (Godzilla etc), which is not the same as TOEI.

Damn I was hoping it would be Toei! Oh well hopefully this Juju anime takes Kitaro's timeslot. I'm not familiar with the schedule in Japan but are there any other major timeslots available?

No matter what, let's hope for a super anime. :mrgreen: