"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:24 pm

PremiumSalt wrote:So basically, outside of the movie, what we have to look forward to is... the manga? I guess? Which comes out monthly in short chapters and is a mixed bag at best.

sigh

And yeah, I get it, we weren't promised anything, but this is still incredibly disappointing.

I think that's a healthy attitude. Just watch out for the manga as an intresting storyline seems to be coming up, if we do get an anime already in 2019, see it as a bonus and you won't be disappointed more than you are already.

Shounen
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shounen » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:03 pm

emperior wrote:When they registered the domain for the 2018 movie, they also registered domains for a 2019 and 2020 Dragon Ball movie.
That was dragonball2018.com which has nothing to do with film.

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:04 pm

emperior wrote:The numbers speak: despite BoG and RoF being financial successes, with Broly barely surpassing RoF domestically, it was clear, at the time, that only continuing Dragon Ball through movies wasn’t the best way to profit from it and Super has showed it, with it being an incredible financial success above any brightest prediction.
The issue right now is that the numbers have continued growing even with no Super on air, so they're likely in no rush to bring back the anime.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:17 pm

Even though no announcement was made for the second coming of the anime. I believe it will be back. Toriyama even stated the anime was over with for the "meantime" in an earlier statement.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:49 pm

Neon Z wrote:
emperior wrote:The numbers speak: despite BoG and RoF being financial successes, with Broly barely surpassing RoF domestically, it was clear, at the time, that only continuing Dragon Ball through movies wasn’t the best way to profit from it and Super has showed it, with it being an incredible financial success above any brightest prediction.
The issue right now is that the numbers have continued growing even with no Super on air, so they're likely in no rush to bring back the anime.
I get it, but they would be blind if they relaxed because of the numbers growing without considering that the very reason the numbers still grow is because of the TV show’s success.
They got a winning horse but they must feed it; they can’t just slack off because things are going well.
It’s business and a rule of business is to always strive to improve the profits every year. I am quite sure that they are actually more in a rush now than they have ever been, and they know all too well that they need a TV show on the air as soon as possible.

They also realised that taking the mess that Super was off the air to fix it behind the scenes will net them more gains on the long run, and this hiatus was most likely planned two/three years ago.

Of course I may be wrong but I try to think as if I were in the shoes of the people involved with Super and with making it as strong and profitable possible. I would surely press to have a TV show up and running as soon as possible but I would also ensure that when it comes back it’s as good as it can be to avoid getting other backlashes like it happened with Super starting from episode 5, which ruined the brand’s reputation.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:51 pm

I'm convinced Super's coming back because of those inside sources mentioned in Ajay's video.

I don't think they'd lie to him.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:57 pm

what if... guys, what if... the anime continuity continues in Heroes?

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:30 pm

ankokudaishogun wrote:what if... guys, what if... the anime continuity continues in Heroes?
Nah, the biggest sign that the actual anime will return is how Toei is handling this Heroes series in the first place. When they wanted to market a new action figure line for Saint Seiya a few years ago, they pumped out biweekly full episodes, while a much bigger show like Dragonball only gets 8 minute episodes with no consistent schedule for its arcade game? That's obviously because a new series still will happen in the near future.
Last edited by Neon Z on Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:33 pm

Chuquita wrote:I'm convinced Super's coming back because of those inside sources mentioned in Ajay's video.

Of course DB is coming back in some animated version. They would never have done all these redesigns for one movie to close the books thereafter.
That wouldn't make any sense.
If it were to make one final movie to never ever animated DB again thereafter, good old Yamamuro would have been just fine.
The questions remain 1. In which format 2. when. I think they want to prepare it well and give it the quality it deserves, like they did with the new movie.
For me, the latter is more important than the format and the timing, to be honest.
Something will come sooner or later. Patience never killed a man. :wink:

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:47 pm

Mister_Popo wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I'm convinced Super's coming back because of those inside sources mentioned in Ajay's video.

Of course DB is coming back in some animated version. They would never have performed all these redesigns for one movie and then simply close the books.
The questions remain 1. In which format 2. when.
I'm torn on Movie or TV show because the Brolli movie's animation is beautiful to watch; seeing these characters move around with such slick ease is a blast.
However, I really enjoyed the camaraderie of following a new Dragon Ball TV series with everyone from week to week; movies don't really have that aspect in that we're not all experiencing it simultaneously. Additionally, I really have fun theorizing about plotlines and new characters and if any future movies are as low on plot as the Brolli movie then that really wrecks that aspect of it for me.

As for when.....ideally I'd like it to come back after I've gotten some rl situations settled because not having the week to week episode means I can focus on other stuff more easily, but I realize life doesn't work that way.

It would be difficult waiting for dbs until next fall, I think. The manga's currently doing good things imo, but it's monthly. I'd like it to come back in the summer, but April's ok too if they end up doing it in April.

I think just knowing 100% that Shintani's character design sense will carry over into the next series, and that we're going to pick up where we left off (be it with a Brolli redo OR a Moro(?) manga arc adaption OR something completely different) would be enough for me to patiently wait out in the meanwhile.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:58 pm

Chuquita wrote:
Mister_Popo wrote:

Of course DB is coming back in some animated version. They would never have performed all these redesigns for one movie and then simply close the books.
The questions remain 1. In which format 2. when.
I'm torn on Movie or TV show because the Brolli movie's animation is beautiful to watch; seeing these characters move around with such slick ease is a blast.
However, I really enjoyed the camaraderie of following a new Dragon Ball TV series with everyone from week to week; movies don't really have that aspect in that we're not all experiencing it simultaneously. Additionally, I really have fun theorizing about plotlines and new characters and if any future movies are as low on plot as the Brolli movie then that really wrecks that aspect of it for me.

I agree with you on this. Altough i could live with a movie-series format when it comes to quality: It will never give us the stuff to discuss, debate and predict to keeps things entertained, not nearly as much as when Super was airing. True.

vashter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by vashter » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:49 pm

Is it Toei fucking with DBSH? I'm smelling a announcement in Jan 10th same how Kitatio (however you spell it) that replace super that time but it was wide press release, someone told me that.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:47 am

vashter wrote:Is it Toei fucking with DBSH? I'm smelling a announcement in Jan 10th same how Kitatio (however you spell it) that replace super that time but it was wide press release, someone told me that.
Would you please reword your post? I don't think I understand fully what you're trying to say.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:57 am

I think Super will live on with movies and the manga. I can see the manga keep on going with its own story while Toriyama writes more movies. We will probably get a new movie in late 2019 or 2020 at this rate.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:03 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:I think Super will live on with movies and the manga. I can see the manga keep on going with its own story while Toriyama writes more movies. We will probably get a new movie in late 2019 or 2020 at this rate.
I really hope not. Anime gives people way more room to speculate, while with movies we often get drought of info until before it releases.

I just can't imagine waiting yet another year for another movie after Broly.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:10 am

That video of Jump Festa had more dislikes than likes, which is fair. I don’t blame them. This was the worst year/panel ever of Jump Festa. That said, i think i know what’s going on here, just like what Ajay said in his video, the reason why they didn’t mention “Super’s return” is because it would take away the hype from the Broly movie. And they obviously can’t do that now so early, since they have to make money.

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:32 am

i have a feeling that they are planning a really big arc maybe a War Arc between Universes,Saiyans,Gods,Angels ???

if they do that than it needs the time to plan a constant good art and animation to make it work and one of the reason they introduced Broly and wished back

erased universes 13- 18 because something big is going down

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:41 am

Lujin_16 wrote:i have a feeling that they are planning a really big arc maybe a War Arc between Universes,Saiyans,Gods,Angels ???

if they do that than it needs the time to plan a constant good art and animation to make it work and one of the reason they introduced Broly and wished back

erased universes 13- 18 because something big is going down
Soon or later i think we'll get a war between angels and demons.
Maybe they can introduce demigra,fu ecc

vashter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by vashter » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:13 pm

sangofe wrote:
vashter wrote:Is it Toei fucking with DBSH? I'm smelling a announcement in Jan 10th same how Kitatio (however you spell it) that replace super that time but it was wide press release, someone told me that.
Would you please reword your post? I don't think I understand fully what you're trying to say.
Asking if they are the one doing the Dragon ball super hero show that is 10 mins per ep in a monthly advance