"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

OverHeaven
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by OverHeaven » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:37 am

precita wrote:Do people really get this attached to minor characters with little to no personality or development, or is this some kind of sarcasm I'm missing? For example I like the designs of a lot of the characters in this tournament such as the robots of U3, but I'm not going to say they're great characters or I'm heartbroken that they lost.

Like I don't get it.

Hey it's not like I'm complaining because I liked the bug and invincible person themselves and care about them or something. I complain when it is a shitty poor writing whether I like the character or give no shit about it.

At least in Piccolo's case it should've been expected, but for Damon and invincible person, not only they were new characters so we had no idea about them. But they were also hyping them every now and then even in the FIRST episode of the damn tournamrnt, I leave the math to you here. Even when Jiren fought Goku the stupid rat was still calm and to the very end he believed that something as pathetic as this could be his trump card? Wtf.
All they needed to defeat the invincible person was the old, repeat trick that even a stupid can figure it out. There was nothing more to him.

Beerus and Tienshinhan didn't even remember them suddendly when they were foreshadowed few times by them.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:57 am

GodKaio-Ken wrote:I actually thought Piccolo was great this episode. Best he's been in a long time, even the elimination saved face by not having him defeated with power. It was a mistake any fighter could have made.
Why would you attack a seemly invisible person closed to the edge? It was kinda stupid on his part.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:00 am

So what do you think the elimination order will be between Frieza, Vegeta and Gohan?

Frieza is gonna last the longest surely?

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:00 am

HeroR wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:I actually thought Piccolo was great this episode. Best he's been in a long time, even the elimination saved face by not having him defeated with power. It was a mistake any fighter could have made.
Why would you attack a seemly invisible person closed to the edge? It was kinda stupid on his part.
Because he thought he was tricking the opponent. He thought he had it figured out.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:28 am

Bullza wrote:So what do you think the elimination order will be between Frieza, Vegeta and Gohan?

Yup. Frieza has been doing absolutely nothing so they have to have something planned.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:33 am

kinisking wrote:
Bullza wrote:So what do you think the elimination order will be between Frieza, Vegeta and Gohan?

Yup. Frieza has been doing absolutely nothing so they have to have something planned.
More or less, he should be the one to last the longest, I also have my reasons to believe Gohan isn't going out till the end either, that leaves Vegeta, he could go when he challenges Jiren..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:52 am

I'd say Goku, Frieza and Jiren will be the last three as that Dragon Ball Heroes opening suggested months ago.

I actually think I'd be disappointed if that didn't happen now.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:53 am

Basically PIS the reason Piccolo went down, it killed the momentum of the episode, they shouldve had him sweep with all of U4 warriors.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:57 am

perucho1990 wrote:Image

Basically PIS the reason Piccolo went down, it killed the momentum of the episode, they shouldve had him sweep with all of U4 warriors.
That would require him to react fast enough. It's completely plausible that he got knocked down so fast he couldn't react. But let's blame the writing instead of our brains .
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:49 am

Piccolo got sent far off the arena with his back to it while flipping out of control, I don't think he could have just easily grabbed the ledge.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:00 am

If the Androids do end up getting controlled by Mr Purple, I hope we get:
The Twins VS Gohan for some neat Future Call Backs
And either of the two flying into a rage when they're eventually broken out of it, getting flashbacks about when Gero kidnapped and modified them. 17 especially, because this fucker needs to emote more.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Benedetto12
Beyond Newbie

Post by Benedetto12 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:06 am

I´m the only one dissapointed that we didn´t get a Piccolo and 17 team up? I was hoping to see it after their scene before the TOP started, where Piccolo greeted 17 and thanked him for participating

IntoTheFire
Beyond Newbie

Post by IntoTheFire » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:23 am

Vegeta, Gohan, Frieza would be my guess. I expect Vegeta to fall out after the androids. Then again they could surprise me.
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:28 am

I expect a throwback to super 17, 17 himself will be giving away the combination megazord's weakness and they will eliminate 18, 17 both together with robot universe..

Or it could go the super way and they will be eliminated via a Kamehameha, preferably a combination one..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Arg
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arg » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:30 am

perucho1990 wrote:Image

Exactly that.
Benedetto12 wrote:I´m the only one dissapointed that we didn´t get a Piccolo and 17 team up? I was hoping to see it after their scene before the TOP started, where Piccolo greeted 17 and thanked him for participating
Ditto.

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie

Post by CriticalThinker » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:58 am

It is nice that another universe beside U6, 7, and 11 to have a blue tier fighter is U3, which is funny since those robots got beaten rather easily by a base Caulifla but whatever. While it's nice that U3 won't get trashed immediately I find it a bit hard to get excited though since Pepsi man was the only one who I found to be interesting. Here's hoping that pepperoni ends up being a entertaining character like Pepsi man.

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:22 pm

I'm sad my boy Katopesla has left us soon, especially since he got cheap shotted, but at least we see Paparoni next episode. I'm glad the theory about the androids being controlled by Paparoni might come true, I've been pushing it a lot lately.

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:13 pm

Since the order they are going in seems to be based on the intro song with the dragon ball star number, freeza probably is the 7th to go. So gohan, vegeta, and goku would be the last one standing. 3 saiyans vs 3 pride troopers. Seems cool.

J.T. Drago

Post by J.T. Drago » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:27 pm

(Slight disclaimer: haven't seen this week's episode, but read up about it)

It does seem like Universe 4 is one we barely got to know about compared to almost all the other universes. Besides Universes 6 and 10, who had major involvement in previous arcs, we got a bit of exposure to the other universes in some shape or form either before the TOP and/or during it. 4 was just...there. Kinda. There is the whole spying thing, but that's pretty much it. Seems like the manga is trying to change that. It does seem like from the sounds of it, whoever wrote the episode followed Toriyama's outlines a bit too well, maybe.

Gotta admit though, the last U4 fighters don't seem all that impressive now that I think about it. There was definitely a lot of potential, but in terms of their abilities, can't say it's anything all that impressive. Invisibility can be very deadly, but can also be pretty easy to counter in this case. The illusion thing would probably work on someone naive since it sounds like it's meant to make the opponents feel guilty. Being a tiny bug with huge strength does seem interesting, and Damon did eliminate Piccolo, so there's that.

(If any of this is wrong, let me know. I know little to no Japanese and going by what I'm seeing online)
Funny/interesting thing I did read up about recently is about Japan and unlucky numbers. One of those being 4 because the word for four is shi (四/し) which resembles the word for death, shi (死/し). They try to use "yon" (よん) instead (which I believe is what the 4 in U4 is referred too) or try to avoid 4 altogether. Another number is 9, which can be written as ku/kyū (九), but can also be written as ku (苦), which means suffering.

Thinking about it, 9 did suffer quite a bit during this arc, what with their defeat in the exhibition, the riot when news of possible erasure circulated Universe 9, Sidra erasing all those people, those assassins being killed by Frieza and finally, their erasure (and I guess also their angel having to deal with Sidra and Rou if you wanna count that). Poor Universe 9. :P
Last edited by J.T. Drago on Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:28 pm

Sandubadear wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
BlueVegerot wrote:almost every GoD in non exempt universes is legit brain dead. Champa and Mosco are the only two ones who appeared to have actually prepared. I guess belmod can be forgiven since he has Jiren but no other GoD appeared to have a legit plan that could work
Well, Quitela was obviously banking on his two hidden fighters being able to get the job done, but Damon and Gamisaras made the mistake of striking too early. They should’ve waited it out longer.

Anyway, I’m rooting for Universe 3 to get a better send-off than Universe 4, because that was frankly disappointing.
It wasn't early. The tournament ends in 12 minutes. To me they struck too late though, they should have some characters fall of the ring throughout the tournament hinting at the invisible fighters of u4.
It's still early when you consider how many fighters were left. They should've waited until the competition was reduced to the single digits before doing a full scale assault.