"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Captain Space
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Captain Space » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:35 pm

I'd have guessed for length, yeah. "God of Destruction" isn't terribly unwieldy ("terribly unwieldy" would be, say, "Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan"*), but it definitely doesn't flow as well as "Hakaishin"; "Destroyer" fixes this.

(*though ironically SSGSS' name is less of a problem in the dub since they never say it in the movie XD)
"Actually I didn’t know what Bulma’s real hair color was" --Toriyama

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:50 pm

While it's not an exact match, besides Shiva there's also the god "Gozar the Destructor" from Ghostbusters. And superpowered-alien-worshiped-as-a-god Sutekh the Destroyer from Doctor Who.
Captain Space wrote:(*though ironically SSGSS' name is less of a problem in the dub since they never say it in the movie XD)
SSGSS isn't mentioned by name in the Japanese version of the movie either; so far the term has only appeared in Toriyama's design sketches, promotional material, and other secondary stuff.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Captain Space
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Captain Space » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:02 pm

Herms wrote:
Captain Space wrote:(*though ironically SSGSS' name is less of a problem in the dub since they never say it in the movie XD)
SSGSS isn't mentioned by name in the Japanese version of the movie either; so far the term has only appeared in Toriyama's design sketches, promotional material, and other secondary stuff.
Ah, okay, thanks. (Only language I've seen the movie in is Spanish so far. Probably going to see the English dub later this year.)
"Actually I didn’t know what Bulma’s real hair color was" --Toriyama

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:48 pm

I'm so hyped for a possible Super Saiyan 3 Vegeta transformation that I can't wait for the next saturday!
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:01 pm

Noah wrote:I'm so hyped for a possible Super Saiyan 3 Vegeta transformation that I can't wait for the next saturday!
It's not gonna happen. Don't get your hopes up. You will be severely disappointed.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:13 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:It's not gonna happen. Don't get your hopes up. You will be severely disappointed.
Oh, don't be party pooper :(
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:53 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Noah wrote:I'm so hyped for a possible Super Saiyan 3 Vegeta transformation that I can't wait for the next saturday!
It's not gonna happen. Don't get your hopes up. You will be severely disappointed.
I don't know, the retelling is starting to came into his own. Toei might have asked to give Vegeta SSJ3 in this specific scene, and Mr Toriyama just said "whatever". Plus the title of next episode has Vegeta mutation, that can't be just a rage thing. Don't forget the irony, Vegeta catches up to Goku and he gets SSJG a couple of hours later.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:09 am

Herms wrote:SSGSS isn't mentioned by name in the Japanese version of the movie either; so far the term has only appeared in Toriyama's design sketches, promotional material, and other secondary stuff.
So Toriyama came up with the name??

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:15 am

Presumably. The section discussing the name is written in the same handwriting (it's clean, but I really don't think it's a font) as the rest of his notes on the character's designs in Volume F.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Herms

Post by Herms » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:36 am

I mean, I suppose it's theoretically possible that someone else came up with the name and Toriyama just wrote it on his design images for the transformation. Like with the older movies where the Toei staff came up with the concept and name for the new characters but had Toriyama do the character designs: he'd label his character designs appropriately despite not being the one who came up with the characters' names. Still, so far nothing suggests that anyone besides Toriyama came up with the term SSGSS.

MaGyunia
Regular

Post by MaGyunia » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:44 am

Captain Space wrote:I'd have guessed for length, yeah. "God of Destruction" isn't terribly unwieldy ("terribly unwieldy" would be, say, "Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan"*), but it definitely doesn't flow as well as "Hakaishin"; "Destroyer" fixes this.

(*though ironically SSGSS' name is less of a problem in the dub since they never say it in the movie XD)
The issue with the term or denomination Super Saiya-jin God Super Saiya-jin for the stage goes beyond the time it takes to write the entire thing, it's just it's lack of innovation. Toriyama could have gone for a totally new and much more innovative denomination for the stage other than repeating the "Super Saiya-jin" and adding just "Super Saiya-jin" to the "Super Saiya-jin God", taking into account his brilliant mind. I guess what he wanted to express was the fact that it was that Goku and Vegeta turned Super Saiya-jin while in the base stage of having absorbed and incorporated the power and abilities of Super Saiya-jin God (technically a stage referred to as Saiya-jin Beyond God), as in, Goku and Vegeta undergo the process of turning Super Saiya-jin and the result, after having absorbed and incorporated the abilities and power of Super Saiya-jin God even in their normal stage, is the blue Super Saiya-jin God Super Saiya-jin (as in, a Super Saiya-jin God who then turned Super Saiya-jin). I've got my own theories on how both the SSJ and the SSJGSSJ stages work when compared to the other Super Saiya-jin transformations.

I've always viewed the SSJ stage as more of a Kaio-Ken-esque power-up than an actual follow-up to the what was supposed to be the previous stage (Super Saiya-jin 3, since it was Goku's strongest stage when he achieves SSJ). As for the SSJGSSJ stage, I believe it's a completely mastery of the SSJG stage with the addition of the natural fighting and tension tendencies of any Super Saiya-jin transformation, while keeping all the benefits of the SSJG stage, along with a slight increase in Ki.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:18 am

It makes me laugh when I read comments like "I'm so happy Toei listend to their fans."... From one episode, to another. Geez, they seriously think that with 4-5 days, Toei could've made a difference from episode 5 to 6? Like, seriously?

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:47 am

sangofe wrote:It makes me laugh when I read comments like "I'm so happy Toei listend to their fans."... From one episode, to another. Geez, they seriously think that with 4-5 days, Toei could've made a difference from episode 5 to 6? Like, seriously?
Well not the whole episode but I bet they corrected the two left hands thing last minute because of fans pointing it out.
You can work on these things till the last minute in 2015.

Also, why do so many people think Vegeta is possibly going to go SSJ3?! There's no evidence to even suggest that in the episode preview.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:40 am

It's very possible to make corrections in four or five days. Inoue Eisaku was still correcting One Piece: Episode of Merry the day before it aired. Now, whether or not I think Dragon Ball Super Episode #6 saw a lot of corrections due to Episode #5, I'm not quite sure. I don't think anything that was changed wasn't already planned.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

MaGyunia
Regular

Post by MaGyunia » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:52 am

sangofe wrote:It makes me laugh when I read comments like "I'm so happy Toei listend to their fans."... From one episode, to another. Geez, they seriously think that with 4-5 days, Toei could've made a difference from episode 5 to 6? Like, seriously?
They can indeed make some small corrections in the "last minute", even though the episodes' storyline, plot, lines and scenes are all prepared weeks or even months in advance. They obviously won't be able to change an entire episode's animation in a matter of days, but they can do indeed make some small corrections. You can tell that part of the drawing aspect for episode 6 looked as if it had a weaker base, which they partially fixed; it's the fact that it was a partial fix on something which was the basis of it that made it possible to notice that originally some of the scenes were actually badly animated or drawn.

Herms

Post by Herms » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:50 pm

bleed0range wrote:Also, why do so many people think Vegeta is possibly going to go SSJ3?! There's no evidence to even suggest that in the episode preview.
It's just a whole lot of wishful thinking.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:54 pm

bleed0range wrote:Why do so many people think Vegeta is possibly going to go SSJ3?!
Because the preview shows him powering up with the camera behind his back and it didn't show any part of his fight so they're obviously hiding something.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:07 pm

Herms wrote:
bleed0range wrote:Also, why do so many people think Vegeta is possibly going to go SSJ3?! There's no evidence to even suggest that in the episode preview.
It's just a whole lot of wishful thinking.
It's basically the exact same thinking that some people had for Fukkatsu no F. "Goku is down and Vegeta is up, that means he's gonna be the one who saves the day and kills Freeza. There is no other way of looking at it." I don't think Vegeta will go SSJ3 as I'm pretty sure they'll just stick to the events of Battle of Gods here. They don't even seem to be animating SSJ3 Gotenks, so I doubt they'd do SSJ3 Vegeta for like a minute and then never do it again.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:16 pm

sintzu wrote:Because the preview shows him powering up with the camera behind his back and it didn't show any part of his fight so they're obviously hiding something.
I thought it was baseless wishful thinking too, but i admit the preview left me wondering.
Although it's not very much Toei to hide important events in the preview...maybe Vegeta's fight scene is still being touched up. I remember the previews for Yoshihiko Umakoshi's episodes in Saint Seiya Omega were a bunch of stills or even reused scenes that didn't reveal anything, but his episodes ended up looking awesome. Maybe because they did require a lot of work and were not done until the week they aired.
Last edited by Araki on Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:19 pm

sintzu wrote:
bleed0range wrote:Why do so many people think Vegeta is possibly going to go SSJ3?!
Because the preview shows him powering up with the camera behind his back and it didn't show any part of his fight so they're obviously hiding something.
The trailers for RoF implied that it was a Vegeta movie with Vegeta actually saving the day.

Until we saw the movie.