"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Mister_Popo » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:25 pm

sangofe wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:13 pm
Mister_Popo wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:09 pm Something says me, if it eventually would return, it will be full time for a number sequential years. DBS just feels a couple of measures too big in Japan and the rest of the world for a seasonal approach. This however may take a while for the opportunity to happen.

One Pieces creator Oda has hinted the manga will end somewhere during 2024-2025.
The anime is 1 year behind, so that would mean that around 2025 a lot of important staff will get available.
This contains Nagamine as a potential series director, but also a lot of good animators.
It might be possible TOEI waits untill one Piece has finally ended to have hands off for a high quality full time DBS sequel.
2023, after the rerun and when DQ has finished, may open doors for a sequel as well but could be just a little too early, if they want to give a potential DBS-project the highest possible quality with the best possible people on board.
I hope not. I long for new db anime! In 4 years I'll be 42 and my daughter 11... And Nozowa would probably be too old to voice act.

Yes, but if Nozawa is a major factor in bringing DBS back, it should already have returned in my opinion.
She's 84, there is literary no time to waste.
No matter how much we'd like it to finish with the old crew, i don't really expect it to happen, to be honest with you.
We will be very lucky if it will.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:35 pm

There is no way recasts can be avoided. They should have done a clean slate in 2009 but at this point waiting a few more years will just make doing a clean slate easier for when they inevitably re-start the animation side of the franchise.

Frankly, it's my hope that their next plan of action is to re-animate the original comic from the very beginning.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:07 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:35 pm There is no way recasts can be avoided. They should have done a clean slate in 2009 but at this point waiting a few more years will just make doing a clean slate easier for when they inevitably re-start the animation side of the franchise.

Frankly, it's my hope that their next plan of action is to re-animate the original comic from the very beginning.
Only remake if the animation is great throughout. Which I doubt Toei could do.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:13 pm

I would be fine with them animating just the Moro arc and then taking another break again until this current manga arc is finished. The quality would be much better. And while I would really miss the slice of life filler we could got in Super I’d prefer to forgo that for the nothing we are getting now.

Even if we just had a new movie every couple years but it would be nice to get something. Just to know something was coming. This limbo we are in has been pretty awful

Merchandise and what shows up in games has become repetitive as well. It would just be nice if the fandom had something to look forward to. I mean the monthly manga is better than nothing but for how well the series was doing financially it feels they could do more than what they are doing. And they don’t even bother to promote the manga with merchandise.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:17 pm

I know this will never happen, but I'd LOVE to see the first "season" of Super remade with the Broly movie style and animation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F4d-PLl9Ys

I don't think this will ever happen, so I'll just take solace in the fact that the future canon Super content will have the Broly movie style.
Last edited by SupremeKai25 on Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:17 pm

sangofe wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:07 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:35 pm There is no way recasts can be avoided. They should have done a clean slate in 2009 but at this point waiting a few more years will just make doing a clean slate easier for when they inevitably re-start the animation side of the franchise.

Dragon Quest: Dai no Dai-Bouken (2019) has great animation. It's certainly possible to do a good, well produced TV series.

Komaki Aya recently left One Piece. It'd be really cool if she was the series director for a new Dragon Ball remake. She'd probably bring really interesting ideas to revamping the visual look as well as story of Dragon Ball.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:32 am

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:17 pm
sangofe wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:07 pm

Dragon Quest: Dai no Dai-Bouken (2019) has great animation. It's certainly possible to do a good, well produced TV series.

Komaki Aya recently left One Piece. It'd be really cool if she was the series director for a new Dragon Ball remake. She'd probably bring really interesting ideas to revamping the visual look as well as story of Dragon Ball.
I can't say I'm very impressed by the Dragon Quest remake.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:48 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:17 pmI know this will never happen, but I'd LOVE to see the first "season" of Super remade with the Broly movie style and animation:
A remake in that style with improved writing and pacing would be great. Other anime have gotten remakes in the past, so it's not impossible, although I do agree it's unlikely.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:11 pm

sangofe wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:32 amI can't say I'm very impressed by the Dragon Quest remake.
Admittedly, I didn't watch the original series, but from the clips I've seen, it's undeniable that the new series is leagues above the old one. I'll go as far as to say this is how Dragon Ball Kai should look like, a competent remake, not a cheap remaster.

Were you expecting anything different?
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:14 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:48 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:17 pmI know this will never happen, but I'd LOVE to see the first "season" of Super remade with the Broly movie style and animation:
A remake in that style with improved writing and pacing would be great. Other anime have gotten remakes in the past, so it's not impossible, although I do agree it's unlikely.
Not that, the story, writing, dialogue, fights, etc. can remain identical, I just really like the animation and style of the Broly movie so it'd be great if some of Super's more disappointing or badly-animated fights were remade like this.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:22 pm

I honestly believe the major fights during second half of Super had a more than average quality.
I have seen some short snippets of the better fights of DQ, but i can't say this animation looks leagues above Supers Vegetto vs Zamasu or Goku vs Jiren to my eye.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:31 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:22 pm I honestly believe the major fights during second half of Super had a more than average quality.
I have seen some short snippets of the better fights of DQ, but i can't say this animation looks leagues above Supers Vegetto vs Zamasu or Goku vs Jiren to my eye.
I agree, in fact I actually love the animation and style Super gets at that point, hence why I said only "some fights". Like for example most of the fights in the U6 arc (aside from the Hit fight), or this fight right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0Ba1L1R9lE

Which has a... eh, questionable art and animation. It's undeniable Super has improved drastically, but still it's sad how it could have looked much better if the animators actually took their time like they did with the Broly movie. Because even when we had great fights like in the Future Trunks and ToP arc, the animators were still on a week-to-week schedule, and it shows in some points (like the aforementioned moments). Whereas with the Broly movie they actually took their time, and it shows.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:04 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:14 pm
Not that, the story, writing, dialogue, fights, etc. can remain identical, I just really like the animation and style of the Broly movie so it'd be great if some of Super's more disappointing or badly-animated fights were remade like this.

I wasn't expecting anything but when I compare it to other high quality animes it's leagues beyond.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:49 am

sangofe wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:04 am

I wasn't expecting anything but when I compare it to other high quality animes it's leagues beyond.
When none of those anime were live-streamed as public events in huge city centres, No, it wasn't leagues beyond. I wish people would move on from 2015.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:47 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:49 am

When none of those anime were live-streamed as public events in huge city centres, No, it wasn't leagues beyond. I wish people would move on from 2015.
Dude. I'm not sure how much high quality anime you've watched. Have you watched Kimetsu no Yaiba, The God of High School, Haikyuu, Jujutsu Kaisen, Sk8 the infinity, Attack on Titan... ?And I'm only naming a few here because I haven't seen too many. There are so many animes that are a lot better animated than Dragon Ball ever has been, and will be.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:52 am

sangofe wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:47 am

Dude. I'm not sure how much high quality anime you've watched. Have you watched Kimetsu no Yaiba, The God of High School, Haikyuu, Jujutsu Kaisen, Sk8 the infinity, Attack on Titan... ?And I'm only naming a few here because I haven't seen too many. There are so many animes that are a lot better animated than Dragon Ball ever has been, and will be.
And yet weren't streamed in huge city centres as public events.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:16 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:52 am

You're making another point than I was. I never talked about popularity but about quality. Your point
has nothing to do with animation qualities but more about popularity over time.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:20 am

sangofe wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:16 am

You're making another point than I was. I never talked about popularity but about quality. Your point
Your point is that Super has trash animation and there are countless shows better than it.

My point is that 1) If it had trash animation, it wouldn't be live-streamed in city centres and 2) If those other shows were so much better animation-wise, why aren't they live-streamed in huge city centres?

As I said, move on from 2015. Super's animation became phenomenal after its first half.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:38 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:20 am

Your point is that Super has trash animation and there are countless shows better than it.

My point is that 1) If it had trash animation, it wouldn't be live-streamed in city centres and 2) If those other shows were so much better animation-wise, why aren't they live-streamed in huge city centres?

As I said, move on from 2015. Super's animation became phenomenal after its first half.
It was streamed because Dragon Ball is iconic as a whole franchise and very popular in South America, I think. The animation didn't become phenomenal except scenes here and there. With your statements I have to question how much you've watched high quality animated series.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:41 am

sangofe wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:38 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:20 am

It was streamed because Dragon Ball is iconic as a whole franchise and very popular in South America, I think. The animation didn't become phenomenal except scenes here and there. With your statements I have to question how much you've watched high quality animated series.
Or maybe it was streamed because it genuinely had phenomenal animation, which is not exactly a secret either, it wasn't hard to notice that the animation drastically improved...