"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Khin
I Live Here

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Khin » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:41 am

Bullza wrote:So it is officially called the Champa arc and not the Universe 6 arc?
It would make sense to call it Champa arc since Champa is the one who host this tournament,why call it Universe 6 Arc when they're not even in Universe 6 ?

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:19 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
Xeztin wrote:Are the Champa and U6 arc the one and the same or is the Champa arc the tourney which leads into the U6 arc. (Which is what I previously thought)
We don't even know for certain if there will be anything substantial after the tournament, let alone if it will be considered an arc of it's own with a different name. It's all pretty much speculation right now.
Don't we know that there will be a Super Dragon Ball hunt though?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:25 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Don't we know that there will be a Super Dragon Ball hunt though?
It could be just the side-plot of Bulma and Jaco finding the last Super Dragon Ball.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:41 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Don't we know that there will be a Super Dragon Ball hunt though?
There should be, but as I said, we don't know if there will be anything substantial after the tournament. There's only one Super Dragon ball left to find right now. The hunt and subsequent resolution to the arc/series/whatever could potentially be wrapped up in an episode or two after the tournament and still be part of the "Champa Arc".

I'm not saying that's how it will happen. (I can't emphasize that enough.) I'm just reminding folks that we don't really have any facts about the future of the series and all we can do is speculate.
Last edited by TheDevilsCorpse on Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

The Doc
Not-So-Newbie

Post by The Doc » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:42 am

Bullza wrote:So it is officially called the Champa arc and not the Universe 6 arc?
All of the promotional material/official sources have been referring to it as the Champa arc, so I feel that's right. Though U6 arc was popularized for a while, starting back at the showcase event in July when Toriyama was laying out Super's arcs and he mentioned it will start with the "Battle of Gods" arc, then move on to the "Revival of F" arc, and then he mentions next comes Universe 6. He never specifically used the phrase "Universe 6 arc" but that appeared to be the implication of his wording, so it stuck around for a long while.

Even though "Champa arc" seems to be the official name, I'm still in the habit of saying U6 arc. To me that feels more right, the arc starts with introducing Champa the character, but then it spins off to be about way more than just this one character. This arc is our introduction to how the whole system of Universes works, and then it leads us into a tournament where we get a small sampling of the other characters and faces that exist over in U6. Right now, where the story is going, just feels so much more about being a small show case of this other Universe, than just being about Champa.

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:50 am

My bet is that Champa arc is like Saiyan arc to Freeza arc or Androids Arc to Cell Arc.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:08 am

"Champa Arc" is a sad name, I'll stick with U6 Arc as a whole (Champa introduction, tournament, Super DBs hunt)
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:50 pm

ROF may feel like big waste of filler time (Saiyaman arc anyone?), but BOG is too connected to Champa arc and sets up too much stuff to be considered separate. To me it's still part of a one big Gods theme.

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:52 pm

A bigger picture of Zuno,Tights and what looks like the cube that Whis used to carry the gang to the tournament place.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:54 pm

I'm gonna be honest, U6 Kaioshin colors are rather fugly... :? I sorta expected some black/metalic stylish robes from the manga panels :P

Zuno and the tournament staff look great tho :lol:

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:50 pm

Hello has there been any new info about how long Super will last for? I heard the 100 episode rumor but in a different thread and Mr. VegettoEX clarified that Toei changed it to "XX" on their website. Just wondering because I imagine the tournament will last 20-30 episodes and maybe end between episode 50-60. When I first heard of the Super Dragonballs I thought there might be a big Dragonball hunt but in one of the recent chapters it showed several of them hovering over the tournament planet. It's possible that a villain uses the Super DBs and then the heroes have to gather them again but even then that shouldn't take up more than a few episodes.

I think there might be something having to do with the other 10 universes but I don't expect them to dedicate an entire saga for each one. Maybe a giant multiverse tournament among all 12 universes? They might have to go with 16 contestants so that it would break down evenly. If they went with 12 contestants then it goes 12, 6, and a battle royal between the last three. There could be something like the Dissidia Final Fantasy game where the strongest of the universes have to team up against a huge multiverse threat. Do you think that's possible or is it more likely that Super will end before we learn anything about the other universes?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:04 pm

As long if Super is doing well with merchandise then they will run it to the ground. That's probably they wanted to do with GT before ending at 64 episodes.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

phattangent
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by phattangent » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:11 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:As long if Super is doing well with merchandise then they will run it to the ground. That's probably they wanted to do with GT before ending at 64 episodes.
Let's just hope they keep it classy in the process.
ドラゴンボール超と言うアニメを見ています。あの、日本語が分かりますか?話しましょう!
ザマスに就いて、全王は合体ザマスより大なりです!

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:23 pm

We can throw around a few theories. They're making a big deal out of the 30th anniversary, so the anime ending in June, with only 49 episodes or so, after so much promotion, sounds extremely unlikely.
The other deadline would be September, giving it about 62 episodes. Toei rarely debuts long running shows in January, so if it goes past September, it's definitely running up to March 2017 at least.

This is all based on the notion that the months for new shows to debut on major networks are always January, April, July and October.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:37 pm

Araki wrote:We can throw around a few theories. They're making a big deal out of the 30th anniversary, so the anime ending in June, with only 49 episodes or so, after so much promotion, sounds extremely unlikely.
The other deadline would be September, giving it about 62 episodes. Toei rarely debuts long running shows in January, so if it goes past September, it's definitely running up to March 2017 at least.

This is all based on the notion that the months for new shows to debut on major networks are always January, April, July and October.
Recent international deal with Toonami Asia obliges Toei to deliver them 52 episodes. So that's the obvious minimum. I don't doubt more will be made, all $$$ numbers regarding Dragon Ball are heavily up for Toei & Bandai so it's a no-brainer decision to keep going, but I don't think they planned anything yet story wise, or they're just starting. Seems clear that initially they asked Toriyama to write '3rd part' to BOG/ROF arc and alone with re-adaptation of those this was the initial plan for Super's first year of 52 eps.

WhisPL
Not-So-Newbie

Post by WhisPL » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:00 pm

French actress Voice said that in their country DBS will be aired at the turn of the year 2016/17. Work on the French version reportedly will start at the end of Season 1 DBS. It turns out that one season will end next summer. Toonami Asia bought 52 episodes of DBS. In my opinion one season DBS end after 52 episode. From 53 section starts 4 story, which is not yet announced.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:18 pm

Basaku wrote:Recent international deal with Toonami Asia obliges Toei to deliver them 52 episodes. So that's the obvious minimum. I don't doubt more will be made, all $$$ numbers regarding Dragon Ball are heavily up for Toei & Bandai so it's a no-brainer decision to keep going, but I don't think they planned anything yet story wise, or they're just starting. Seems clear that initially they asked Toriyama to write '3rd part' to BOG/ROF arc and alone with re-adaptation of those this was the initial plan for Super's first year of 52 eps.
If they want to reach 52 at least, then they will have to go beyond that count, or else the series would run up to July 10th - but the first semester always has a break, so we can push it to July 17th. A new show debuting in the end of July likely wouldn't happen. So it's either 49-50 episodes at this point, or an extension until September.

My prediction is that Super will either have about 61/62 episodes or run up to God knows when. I agree, though, i don't think they had an end in sight, they'll just go with the flow. Maybe the only sign of planning is that they probably wanted to start the new arc in January to coincide with the 30th year celebrations.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:33 pm

Araki wrote:
If they want to reach 52 at least, then they will have to go beyond that count, or else the series would run up to July 10th - but the first semester always has a break, so we can push it to July 17th. A new show debuting in the end of July wouldn't happen. So it's either 49-50 episodes at this point, or an extension until September.

My prediction is that Super will either have about 61/62 episodes or run up to God knows when. I agree, though, i don't think they had an end in sight, they'll just go with the flow. Maybe the only sign of planning is that they probably wanted to start the new arc in January to coincide with the 30th year celebrations.
My point is that distributors and TV stations around the world are interested mainly in buying 'full products' (or full 'chunks') either in season format or defained by story arcs. No company will get all episodes of Saiyan/Freeza saga and then just 8 episodes from Androids. Either just the former or waiting till the later can be purchased in full as well. Regardless of the schedule in Japan and whether Toei has already lined up extention to September, the fact that it's 52 episodes being shopped around makes it look like 'complete' package of story content to sell to at least some degree and whatever comes next is likely gonna be heavily different or progress into a distinct expansion.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:45 pm

I hope we go beyond 64 episodes. As long if merchandise is selling well then there is no reason to stop. Super will end when both merchandise and ratings drops badly like with Kai and GT.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ChaosLordBrandon
Regular

Post by ChaosLordBrandon » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:12 pm

DBS Super will easily have over 100 episodes. You people are forgetting that the main thing Toei and Bandai (any company cares about really.) cares about is merchandise and ever since Battle Of Gods DB has selling merchandise like crazy.

And also why series like DC,Marvel,Star Wars, Warhammer and Transformers have like over ten completely different series

Also since the only Akria does for DB is now is the same thing he does for Dragon Quest besides provide the general story, he basically has an zero chance of going any where either.