"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:24 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:48 amThink about it logically why would Toei incur weekly production costs for DB when all it's gonna do is reduce their profits? May aswell use that money to invest in other properties just like they're doing. Movies just make sense going forward.
As much as I've disagreed with this view point, I have to admit I'm beginning to think you're on to something. Whether or not I'll be on board with this approach depends on how the current Moro arc ends. If it ends on a high note, I'm definitely going to be annoyed at having to potentially wait even longer for it to get adapted. If it ends how everyone thinks it'll end, I honestly won't care at all if DB never gets anything animated again.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:41 am

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:24 am
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:48 amThink about it logically why would Toei incur weekly production costs for DB when all it's gonna do is reduce their profits? May aswell use that money to invest in other properties just like they're doing. Movies just make sense going forward.
As much as I've disagreed with this view point, I have to admit I'm beginning to think you're on to something. Whether or not I'll be on board with this approach depends on how the current Moro arc ends. If it ends on a high note, I'm definitely going to be annoyed at having to potentially wait even longer for it to get adapted. If it ends how everyone thinks it'll end, I honestly won't care at all if DB never gets anything animated again.

There are some folks that disagree with the anime being promotional.
If the creative primary goal was to make a a satisfying weekly anime, wouldn't it have returned by now?

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:12 am

Mister_Popo wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:41 am There are some folks that disagree with the anime being promotional.
If the creative primary goal was to make a a satisfying weekly anime, wouldn't it have returned by now?
According to someone who spoke to Ajay, they're taking their time to make sure it's better than before, but one has to wonder how much time they need when on the flip side they're making new anime such as Digimon and Dragon Quest. I guess we'll get a better idea this December at Jump Festa.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:34 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:34 pm
IntangibleFancy wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:22 pm Damn... I thought it was an official quote or something.
No one is more reliable than Ajay, so it's as official as an unofficial comment can be.
Yeah....I'm not saying he doesn't have sources, but I'm still having trouble taking them seriously after last year and that steady stream of let downs. This does sound believable though so I'm optomistic.

But that doesn't explain why they're spreading their staff out making Digimon and Dragon Quest. And with all these new/returning anime coming out, I would at least expect them to say "don't forget about DBS too!"
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:00 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:34 pmThat doesn't explain why they're spreading their staff out making Digimon and Dragon Quest. And with all these new/returning anime coming out, I would at least expect them to say "don't forget about DBS too!"
Look at GTA V, it's now getting released on Ps5 due to how successful it is. There's no need for VI right now. DB is in a similar situation, as the $$$ it's making is just as much, if not more than when it had an anime, so why bother at this point ?

MeMeDZEHH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MeMeDZEHH » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:50 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:48 am Toei's animation calendar for 2021 got revealed and DB was last in the Nov/Dec slot with ToP stuff which implies we ain't getting anything in 2021 otherwise why would DB be last and be ToP? I get spoilers but if there was a new series why not have DB be the first month with ToP stuff. It also didn't have to be ToP it could have been generic DB stuff...

A weekly TV series for Dragon Ball is not needed anymore. DBS did it's job, it not only revitalised the DB IP but even made it go Super Saiyan! It has not had new material since Dec 2018 and it somehow is still the default main series branding for DB.
DB is not aimed at kids anymore it does not need a weekly tv series to stay relevant, no one is not suddenly going to stop being a fan because there is no weekly tv series anymore.

Think about it logically why would Toei incur weekly production costs for DB when all it's gonna do is reduce their profits? May aswell use that money to invest in other properties just like they're doing. Movies just make sense going forward.

Fact some fans think Toei don't care about DB is absurd. I would rather Toei take their time and make sure creatively everything is as good as it can be instead of taking the easy route and say adapting the manga arc, this isn't 2015 they aren't desperate anymore.
I'm sorry but this part make no sense. Assuming TOEI could promote something that doesn't exist yet is absurd. If there is a series in 2021, the production shouldn't start before October or even November.
For the rest, i could argue with you for hours on how marketing works and why the situation is not sustainable in the long term for TOEI.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:26 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:12 am
Mister_Popo wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:41 am There are some folks that disagree with the anime being promotional.
According to someone who spoke to Ajay, they're taking their time to make sure it's better than before, but one has to wonder how much time they need when on the flip side they're making new anime such as Digimon and Dragon Quest. I guess we'll get a better idea this December at Jump Festa.

Matches, what i think is reasonable is, as you quote, although you may have your own entitled opinion, at the end we don't know exactly what the end result will be before we get an official announcement, so untill then it may be wise to leave a door open for other options. I don't know whether the anime will or not will not return for sure, the only thing i would advise to people is not to get hyped for no reason because Digimon potentially ends in April 2021. It does not guarantee anything concrete concerning a Dragon Ball anime returning.

Nanatsu88

Post by Nanatsu88 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:22 pm

In my opinion, Toei does need a weekly series to be able to generate many more benefits.

Dragon Ball has always been present and returned to have more popularity thanks to Kai. This caused Toei to do Battle of Gods and raised worldwide $ 50 million.

With that success, Toei made Fukatsu no F and raised 62 million dollars. Thanks to this surprising box office Toei decided to make a weekly series.

The weekly Super anime was a worldwide explosion of popularity reaching the highest value in the tournament of power.
The series ended at the highest point of popularity worldwide and the community asked for more.

Due to this Super Broly has raised 115 million dollars worldwide. Double that of the previous 2 films. This has been thanks to the weekly anime.

It is evident that Dragon Ball will always have very high sales, but the more time that passes without the weekly anime, the popularity of the series will drop and the benefits will not be the same.

Taking another movie is obvious that it will be a success but surely it manages to raise less money than Broly worldwide. Why? Because there is no weekly anime and popularity is going to drop.

Obviously Toei doesn't need Super to come back right now but the longer he takes to come back, the less popularity he will have.

Furthermore, at some point Toei will want to adapt the new manga sagas to also exploit the new merchandising that is generated. Although there is a manga on monthly broadcasts, merchandising continues to sell the latest animated adaptation as the latest news. Making an animated adaptation of the new sagas will cause new products to be sold.

Digimon's end in April doesn't mean Super's comeback. The only thing that means is that if there is any possibility that the series will return at some point in the next 2 years, it will be when Digimon ends as it is the television space it can have.

If the Digimon TV space is occupied by another series that is not Super there will be no more possibility that Super will return until that new series ends.

So this does not mean that Super will return next year after Digimon. I mean if there is any chance that there is a weekly Super series it can only be when Digimon is over.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:59 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:26 pmThe only thing I would advise to people is not to get hyped for no reason because Digimon potentially ends in April 2021. It does not guarantee anything concrete concerning a Dragon Ball anime returning.
Nanatsu88 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:22 pm Digimon's end in April doesn't mean Super's comeback.
Digimon ending in April was based on it starting in April of this year and continuing without a major break, which it didn't. It was cancelled due to the virus for 2 months and started over last week. Digimon will end sometime mid-late June 2021, resulting in its replacement starting in July.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:12 am

As long as SSJ Blue’s hair remains Green/Cyanish. Dragon Ball Super Broly’s SSBE Dark Blue Color hair of SSB was an absolute disgrace!

We need to be able to distinguish between SSJ Blue and SSJ Blue Evolution!

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:31 am

Is Cooler canon now? I've had a few people tell me he's appearing in a new show or movie. And i can't find anything anywhere.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:33 am

Peach wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:31 am Is Cooler canon now? I've had a few people tell me he's appearing in a new show or movie. And i can't find anything anywhere.
It's just speculation, but based on Broly's success, I think it's only a matter of time before he and other non-canon aspects of the franchises become canon.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:07 am

Peach wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:31 am Is Cooler canon now? I've had a few people tell me he's appearing in a new show or movie. And i can't find anything anywhere.
The fact that you can't find anything about it anywhere already tells you what you need know. As Matches Malone says, there's a good chance of Cooler becoming canon at some point, he's pretty much the #2 choice behind Broly, but it's just speculation. There are no leaks or news relating to a canon Cooler going around right now. There are no leaks or news relating to anything Super-related at all going around right now, really. Manga leaks will probably appear in a few days, but that's beside the point.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

MeMeDZEHH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MeMeDZEHH » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:29 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:59 pm
Mister_Popo wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:26 pmThe only thing I would advise to people is not to get hyped for no reason because Digimon potentially ends in April 2021. It does not guarantee anything concrete concerning a Dragon Ball anime returning.
Nanatsu88 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:22 pm Digimon's end in April doesn't mean Super's comeback.
Digimon ending in April was based on it starting in April of this year and continuing without a major break, which it didn't. It was cancelled due to the virus for 2 months and started over last week. Digimon will end sometime mid-late June 2021, resulting in its replacement starting in July.
It can end in july or just have fewer episodes since it's not a manga adaptation, it's possible.

head_cha_la
Not-So-Newbie

Post by head_cha_la » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:58 am

Yoshitaka Toshio would like to write about Dragon Ball again!

https://twitter.com/toshio916/status/12 ... 9213857792

Maybe he knows something about the future of the TV series?

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:41 pm

So if this year's Jump Festa mentions nothing about a continuation does this mean we can just forget about Super being announced until at least July of next year?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

head_cha_la
Not-So-Newbie

Post by head_cha_la » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:50 pm

Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods, Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F' and Dragon Ball Super were never announced at Jump Festa!

I don't think Toei needs Jump Festa to announce something!

An announcement of a Dragon Ball movie or TV series outside of Jump Festa will have more impact than Jump Festa itself!

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:05 am

IntangibleFancy wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:41 pm So if this year's Jump Festa mentions nothing about a continuation does this mean we can just forget about Super being announced until at least July of next year?
If nothing is announced (movie/Super 2.0), I'm going to begin to question whether anything will be at all.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:00 am

I will say, due to the pandemic, Digimon will now likely go until next June, as they lost a cour.
It depends on if Toriyama has given them any new material to work with.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:01 am

DBZ_Lee wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:00 am I will say, due to the pandemic, Digimon will now likely go until next June, as they lost a cour.
It depends on if Toriyama has given them any new material to work with.
They'll have the Moro arc from the manga, and possibly Broly, so together should give them a year's worth of episodes.