"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Legion
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Legion » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:03 am

To be honest, my biggest worry is that they'll end up calling on Zeno. That would be the biggest disappointment in the history of Dragon Ball.
I agree. Please no. I'm scared for that friendship nonsense between Goku and Zeno....

Oh, i'm pretty sure that Black is present Zamasu from another timeline. An alternate present.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:33 am

I feel like this arc is going the Boo arc route and it's coming real close to shitting the bed.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:35 am

Doctor. wrote:I feel like this arc is going the Boo arc route and it's coming real close to shitting the bed.
What makes you say that?
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:38 am

Wouldnt be surprised if they call their fused selves as "The Supreme God"

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:42 am

Alruneia wrote:
Doctor. wrote:I feel like this arc is going the Boo arc route and it's coming real close to shitting the bed.
What makes you say that?
Well,

[spoiler]Black being present Zamasu, making it a time paradox.

The two Zamasus fusing.

The leaked image of Trunks managing to hurt SSR Black (again)[/spoiler]

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:57 am

Doctor. wrote:
Alruneia wrote:
What makes you say that?
Well,

The two Zamasus fusing.

Fair enough. I do agree with you that the arc is walking on a bit of a knife's edge.
We've (well, some of us have) speculated that there might be a causal loop involved, which is the time paradox you're referring to. I have a half-finished chart made to illustrate it, but I didn't expect to need it anymore, since Beerus destroyed Zamasu. So much for that expectation, I suppose.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:00 am

Doctor. wrote:Well,

The two Zamasus fusing.

*inserts mandatory you haven't seen the episode yet in defense of Dragon Ball comment*

With full sincerity, this time, I agree with you. This Mafuba business should've already been dealt with when their first attempt failed and Trunks getting a rage boost IS total fucking horseshit. He doesn't have Gohan tier potential and he never got Gohan-esque rage boosts so this literally only exists so we can pad everything out a couple more episodes.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:14 am

Honestly, the time paradox part is not defendable at this point. They had so many opportunities to have it make sense and they fucked it over every time. Black being a Zamasu from ANOTHER timeline would have been kinda cheap but at least it would have the timelines all make sense.

I defended Trunks getting a hit on Black in episode 57 because he was off-guard, but at this point it's just ridiculous. He cannot and should not even keep up with the fights, let alone actually hold his own for even a second against Black. Him getting a rage boost is a humungous asspull, if they use that as an explanation. Just give him Super Saiyan Blue like everyone wants already, is that so hard? You're ALREADY turning SSB into a joke by making a SS2 stand up to them, so just give him SSB and be done with it.

The fusion could work depending on the execution. It seems like a terrible concept, but so was the concept of Black, and he worked fine so far, so I'll wait and see for that one.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:36 am

Doctor. wrote:Honestly, the time paradox part is not defendable at this point. They had so many opportunities to have it make sense and they fucked it over every time. Black being a Zamasu from ANOTHER timeline would have been kinda cheap but at least it would have the timelines all make sense.

I defended Trunks getting a hit on Black in episode 57 because he was off-guard, but at this point it's just ridiculous. He cannot and should not even keep up with the fights, let alone actually hold his own for even a second against Black. Him getting a rage boost is a humungous asspull, if they use that as an explanation. Just give him Super Saiyan Blue like everyone wants already, is that so hard? You're ALREADY turning SSB into a joke by making a SS2 stand up to them, so just give him SSB and be done with it.

The fusion could work depending on the execution. It seems like a terrible concept, but so was the concept of Black, and he worked fine so far, so I'll wait and see for that one.
God forms became a joke when Vegeta completely bypassed the entire process Goku went through and achieved a comparable level of strength just with a few months of training under Whis. This is definitely not a world (or rather level of power) that one would describe as beyond Goku's imagination as it was in the movies.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:36 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Guys (and gals, though I don't mean it in a gender specific way), start using the preview button to check your posts before clicking submit. Give them a read through to double check your grammar, and to make sure you aren't posting a chain of broken quotes.
Also, proper editing your quotes avoid unnecessary notifications :)
Doctor. wrote:Honestly, the time paradox part is not defendable at this point. They had so many opportunities to have it make sense and they fucked it over every time. Black being a Zamasu from ANOTHER timeline would have been kinda cheap but at least it would have the timelines all make sense.
Which opportunities?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:40 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Well,

The two Zamasus fusing.

*inserts mandatory you haven't seen the episode yet in defense of Dragon Ball comment*

With full sincerity, this time, I agree with you. This Mafuba business should've already been dealt with when their first attempt failed and Trunks getting a rage boost IS total fucking horseshit. He doesn't have Gohan tier potential and he never got Gohan-esque rage boosts so this literally only exists so we can pad everything out a couple more episodes.
This time they went to the future to confirm Zamasu's demise. It's a reasonable that they hadn't an actual plan. Honestly expecting them to even inform us of why Trunks got so strong is already a tall order. The anime is an absolutely mess regarding power levels.
We should really wait for the episode(s) to air. Attacking what yet can't defend itself is unfair.

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:40 am

SansrivaaL wrote:Wouldnt be surprised if they call their fused selves as "The Supreme God"
I'm going with "Black Zamasu"

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:43 am

Noah wrote:Which opportunities?
- Black could have been a Zamasu from a third timeline
- Future Zamasu and Black could have been mad at Goku for something completely different than present Zamasu's motives

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:45 am

LightBing wrote:This time they went to the future to confirm Zamasu's demise. It's a reasonable that they hadn't an actual plan. Honestly expecting them to even inform us of why Trunks got so strong is already a tall order. The anime is an absolutely mess regarding power levels.
We should really wait for the episode(s) to air. Attacking what yet can't defend itself is unfair.
It's not reasonable when they're acting stupid, and not the Cell arc stupid where it's born from recklessness, for the past few episodes, they're just forgetting basic things they now are true but because Beerus said one thing that changes everything? Trunks himself already said that going back in time doesn't do anything but create another timeline so him and the rest paying any attention to Beerus is moronic to say the least. Plus, Trunks is easily the most pragmatic one of the main cast, if Goku and Vegeta aren't going to have a failsafe, he should be the one to bring such an idea up instead of listening Beerus who didn't even know mortals could time travel until a few days ago.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:48 am

We already know that Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan is a peaceful transformation, so Trunks getting it from being angry wouldn't make sense and would be an asspull. Speaking of which, an asspull is when something happens unexpectedly with no real explanation. Since rage boosts have been part of the series since Z and Trunks got one from Bulma being slapped, it wouldn't fit the definition of an asspull.

As for the whole time paradox, since the Time Rings don't work the same way as Trunks' time machine, I don't see why they would follow the same rules as the time machine. The rules of time travel in Dragon Ball were completely based on Trunks' time travel. Even then, the rules were that you can't change the past without creating a new world, which is still true. However, if you changed the past, but then someone goes into the future from that changed world, you don't create a new world. It doesn't goes against anything that was set in the Android/Cell Saga. Only that you can alter the future, most likely because the future isn't set in stone, and if you have Time Rings, you can screw over other timelines' future. But as of now, we don't know what happened.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:49 am

I've been more or less just watching this thread because I don't want to keep being negative, but I've been hanging out in other forums and he general sentiment even from casual viewers is that the arc feels dangerously close to going to completely going down the tube. The general sentiment is that there are plenty of independently great concepts but they seem thrown together and not fully explored and then loosely tied together to maximize the fight sequences instead of allowing proper build up.

Just judging from even the most staunch Super supporters starting to question things I feel like unless there is some brilliant plot point pulling it together a lot of people may be disappointed with the arc to various degrees.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:52 am

If Present Zamas still exists because of a bootstrap paradox it is absolutely legitimate anyway. If because of another paradox, then well, yes, they could have thought of better stuff.
It completely contradicts pre-established time travel. Black is a product of Goku angering Zamasu. And Zamasu was angered because Goku came to fight him after Trunks returned to the past. And Trunks returned to the past... because Black exists. This makes no fucking sense. It won't make any fucking sense, because a time paradox in ANY story, not just Dragon Ball, is a huge detriment to the plot structure. That's why parallel timelines exist as a concept in the first place, to avoid shit like this.
Bootstrap paradoxes are perfectly closed paradoxes and not contradictory at all. They live of the logic of a closed cycle. It exists because it exists and there is no problem in this paradox because it has no beginning and no end. It is the only time paradox that actually does make sense.
Last edited by Cetra on Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:52 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
LightBing wrote:This time they went to the future to confirm Zamasu's demise. It's a reasonable that they hadn't an actual plan. Honestly expecting them to even inform us of why Trunks got so strong is already a tall order. The anime is an absolutely mess regarding power levels.
It's not reasonable when they're acting stupid, and not the Cell arc stupid where it's born from recklessness, for the past few episodes, they're just forgetting basic things they now are true but because Beerus said one thing that changes everything? Trunks himself already said that going back in time doesn't do anything but create another timeline so him and the rest paying any attention to Beerus is moronic to say the least. Plus, Trunks is easily the most pragmatic one of the main cast, if Goku and Vegeta aren't going to have a failsafe, he should be the one to bring such an idea up instead of listening Beerus who didn't even know mortals could time travel until a few days ago.
There's no reason to doubt Beerus at all. He's a God with millions of years, with an attendant who's even wiser and didn't contradicted him. Even when Trunks and Bulma told them their concerns.
Trunks doesn't know about the Mafuba, Goku and Vegeta going with them is already the back up plan. Since it was the original plan.
The characters aren't being idiots, it's arguable they could've stopped and discussed their options a bit longer. It still doesn't undermine anything.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:54 am

Doctor. wrote:The leaked image of Trunks managing to hurt SSR Black (again)
What leaked image?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:55 am

HeroR wrote:We already know that Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan is a peaceful transformation, so Trunks getting it from being angry wouldn't make sense and would be an asspull. Speaking of which, an asspull is when something happens unexpectedly with no real explanation. Since rage boosts have been part of the series since Z and Trunks got one from Bulma being slapped, it wouldn't fit the definition of an asspull.
Nobody said anything about Trunks getting Blue through a rage boost. You can get Blue through the ritual and through training, Trunks could have gotten it either way given the amount of time he spent doing absolutely nothing in the present besides moping around, if they actually intended to give him the transformation from the start.

A rage boost isn't an asspull. TRUNKS getting a rage boost IS an asspull, because rage boosts were exclusive to Gohan and Trunks never got one when he has been in situations 10x worse than this one. Vegeta getting a rage boost from Bulma getting slapped is also an asspull and a poorly written moment, so I don't know why you're using it to defend your point.
As for the whole time paradox, since the Time Rings don't work the same way as Trunks' time machine, I don't see why they would follow the same rules as the time machine. The rules of time travel in Dragon Ball were completely based on Trunks' time travel. Even then, the rules were that you can't change the past without creating a new world, which is still true. However, if you changed the past, but then someone goes into the future from that changed world, you don't create a new world. It doesn't goes against anything that was set in the Android/Cell Saga. Only that you can alter the future, most likely because the future isn't set in stone, and if you have Time Rings, you can screw over other timelines' future. But as of now, we don't know what happened.
It completely contradicts pre-established time travel. Black is a product of Goku angering Zamasu. And Zamasu was angered because Goku came to fight him after Trunks returned to the past. And Trunks returned to the past... because Black exists. This makes no fucking sense. It won't make any fucking sense, because a time paradox in ANY story, not just Dragon Ball, is a huge detriment to the plot structure. That's why parallel timelines exist as a concept in the first place, to avoid shit like this.