"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by sintzu » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:03 am

jeffbr92 wrote:I wish this was a thing:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Just imagine the last form in the series to be back as the golden SSJ hair
It never should've left or changed. Toriyama played it smart in BOG by having SsjG be a temporary power up that's absorbed into the normal form, something he said would stick around in future stories but there was clearly a behind the scenes change.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:04 am

The only thing Toriyama's design makes me wonder is if it's supposed to be skinny like God and Toei just bulked it up? Probably Toriyama just reaching peak laziness while his fan wave it off with "Oh Dat Toriama!"
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:05 am

Cant believe they would fuck this form this much.

And i cant believe even more that TOEI has a much better design than Toriyama himself

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:06 am

sintzu wrote: Barely make out they're the same ? the only slight difference is the look on his face but everything else form the hair, clothes and body is the exact same copy paste from his SsjG design.
I get that, I was mostly joking here, but about the pose, is it really necessary to give him a new pose with every form?
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

TheOtherDude
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOtherDude » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:07 am

sintzu wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:Vegeta worked longer and this time under the same conditions as Goku for this as well, and is nowhere near UI not even the omen phase, I am not one for comparing who should get what form but this is just sad..
There are 3 things to take into account :

1- Goku unlocked Omen through pure coincidence by nearly dying from the spirit bomb, Vegeta on the other hand has yet to go through that kind of near death experience.

2- How would Vegeta use it ? I'd rather him get it when he's able to use it and win against a main villain instead of getting it now just to lose.

3- They could be planning on giving it to him in the movie to have their "new" form to market without it being new.
I’d even go as far as to say we could potentially get a glimpse of Vegeta attaining/or showing signs of UI tonight. It seems like they’re really trying to hide what happens after Vegeta thinks about Bulma. Vegeta is literally at his limit right now so anything can happen.

I’m not going to get my hopes up obviously, but if there was ever a scenario where Vegeta was going to be Pushed to his absolute limit, it would be right now.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:07 am

Michsi wrote:I think we should've expected the white hair transformation to arrive at some point. We know Toriyama intended that to be the next color after SSJGod.
I'd have to see how it looks on screen, but from these first few images, I'd have to agree with those that say that black-haired UI looks way better.

For now I'm far more curious to see what will trigger this transformation. People are talking about Vegeta dying, and I sure hope that won't be the case. First of all, we've already had a death last episode, and Vegeta dying would overshadow 17's sacrifice. Especially if one death causes something major like a transformation and the other just a few moments of shock. If they do go down that route, it'd best if both deaths are treated equally, even if Vegeta technically should mean more to Goku than 17. But yeah, I do think it's unlikely that Vegeta will get killed. I also hope the beginning of next episode will try to make some amends for the pretty lackluster reaction to 17's sacrifice.

As for what I hope it'll be- Goku getting kind of desperate at the prospect that they might really lose, and actually thinking about all of his friends and family getting erased. Maybe even a little guilty at playing a part in creating all of this mess (yes, even if he technically isn't to blame for the TOP)
In before they recreate Vegeta's death speech on Namek, which spurs Gokuu on to not forget himself and his Saiyan pride when using Mastery of Selflessness.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:08 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:YES YES YESSSSSSS!!!!! :thumbup: Looks great. :clap:
The black haired version looked a lot better

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:09 am

Ki Breaker wrote:
sintzu wrote: Barely make out they're the same ? the only slight difference is the look on his face but everything else form the hair, clothes and body is the exact same copy paste from his SsjG design.
I get that, I was mostly joking here, but about the pose, is it really necessary to give him a new pose with every form?
If they're going to be this lazy then the very least they could've done was use a completely different design. It's one thing to just recolor hair but we're to the point where they can't be bothered to even come up with a full new design, just recolor an existing one ?

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:12 am

ekrolo2 wrote:The only thing Toriyama's design makes me wonder is if it's supposed to be skinny like God and Toei just bulked it up? Probably Toriyama just reaching peak laziness while his fan wave it off with "Oh Dat Toriama!"
Toei probably thought the design was too bland (because it's literally a recolor of a previous illustration) so they changed it up a bit. Toriyama's drawing keeps the hair design the same and lacks muscle mass, whilst Toei UI is buff and has messier hair.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:12 am

My first reaction when seeing this was 'oh dear, Toriyama really has gotten bored with DB again. He's not even bothering to change the outline.' Then again, if you look at the other drawings or other character he did, they're also very similar to this. Same position, same basic anatomy. I think they're mostly supposed to be character sheet models rather than promotional art.

Then again, the TOP will apparently go very different in the manga, so that makes you think just how loose Toriyama's input regarding this arc really is.
JulieYBM wrote: In before they recreate Vegeta's death speech on Namek, which spurs Gokuu on to not forget himself and his Saiyan pride when using Mastery of Selflessness.
Sad thing is, it's possible.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:13 am

Ki Breaker wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Toriyama literally recolored his own SSG illustration, you cannot make this up.
What?
Look at them, you can barely make out they are the same person

ImageImage
You are one of my favorite members.
On topic,as a guy who doesn't care that much for transformation I am fine with it.Tbh,I would have preferred it if there was not a transformation at all,afterall,UI is a technique.It kinda makes sense considering angels have silver hair.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

lord turbo
Beyond Newbie

Post by lord turbo » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:15 am

Goku Blanco! Lol, a meme becomes a reality for a different character altogether.
sintzu wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:I think it's still a bit too early for Goku to master Ultra Instinct. But, eh, Goku is a martial arts genius, I guess.
It's the same mistake they made with SsjG, instead of finding a way to keep it around longer they jumped right to Blue and now they same thing is happening now. UI Omen looked so badass and new that it should've been used for at least another 2 arcs before being completed. Now they'll just have to find a 5TH recolor.
We still have orange, purple, and brown recolors left.
Last edited by lord turbo on Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:16 am

We now have the literal full set of Power Rangers as Goku.
Red Blue Pink Yellow Black and now White :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:17 am

lord turbo wrote:We still have orange and purple recolors left.
Can we still have Green ? I know Broly has it but that was more due to that control thing his father put on him.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:18 am

Professor Freeza wrote:And i cant believe even more that TOEI has a much better design than Toriyama himself
Not a big surprise when you compare SSJ4 to SSG and Blue.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:18 am

lord turbo wrote:Goku Blanco! Lol, a meme becomes a reality for a different character altogether.
A major cause for formation of meme was toriyama had said that he wanted to use white hair.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:20 am

Hawk9211 wrote:
lord turbo wrote:Goku Blanco! Lol, a meme becomes a reality for a different character altogether.
A major cause for formation of meme was toriyama had said that he wanted to use white hair.
All his new forms were memes waaaaaaay before he came back, especially in the early 2000's with things like Blue being "Ssj7" and red being 8.

Zamasu55
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Zamasu55 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:21 am

Disgusting.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:21 am

sintzu wrote:
lord turbo wrote:We still have orange and purple recolors left.
Can we still have Green ? I know Broly has it but that was more due to that control thing his father put on him.
Kale

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:24 am

This one hand attack he's getting in XV2 might be in the anime as well and what he used to take donw Jiren :