"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Skar
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Skar » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:02 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:50 amThis adds to my speculation that Toriyama's involvement in the BOG movie was intended to be a one time contribution, which may lead to the Moro arc being the start of DB being exclusively written by Toyotaro (with supervision by Toriyama of course).
That's possible. I think we'll have a better idea after the Moro arc ends since it might be just to give Toriyama a break. It was said Toriyama refused some ideas before deciding on Broly so he might not be sure what idea he wants to use next. Some fans theorized that was the purpose of RoF and a standalone story to give himself more time to come up with something involving the other universes revealed in BoG. The Goku Black saga came as a suggestion from the staff and it could've also been a more self-contained story to give them more time to work on Zeno's tournament foreshadowed in the previous saga plus prevent two tournaments back to back. Zamasu killed all other universes Kaioshin which also got rid of the GoDs but it happened offscreen and we didn't see them until the Universe Survival arc so they probably hadn't come up with the designs yet.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:53 am

Skar wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:14 am
Matches Malone wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:35 amWhy would he need more time ? he hasn't done anything since turning in Broly's script in 2017. I doubt he needs half the time he's gotten much less more for whatever lame script he's (maybe) working on.
Toriyama turned 65 this year so they have to respect their elders and give him as much time as he needs :P. An old member named Kei17 talked about a rumor that Toriyama was reluctant to continue after the Champa saga so it could be Toei wants to avoid that from happening again.
When and where did he communicate this?

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:00 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:35 amWhy would he need more time ? he hasn't done anything since turning in Broly's script in 2017. I doubt he needs half the time he's gotten much less more for whatever lame script he's (maybe) working on.
Toriyama turned 65 this year so they have to respect their elders and give him as much time as he needs :P. An old member named Kei17 talked about a rumor that Toriyama was reluctant to continue after the Champa saga so it could be Toei wants to avoid that from happening again.
Without much proof. Only some claims he's "reliable" by some other old folks around here. Some of whom have proven unreliable themselves.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:05 am

sangofe wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:53 amWhen and where did he communicate this?
I googled "Kei17 Toriyama quitting" and this was one of the threads where it was mentioned:
viewtopic.php?t=30157&start=23020#p1144530

I thought it was interesting but I'm not sure how someone could obtain this kind of information unless they work closely with Toriyama. I still file it under another "DB rumor or hearsay but could make sense if it was ever verified".

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:03 am

sangofe wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:53 am
When and where did he communicate this?
He said this in relation to what recent productions tarnished the DB brand and briefly referred to what he heard about Toriyama.
kei17 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:07 pm
Kid Buu wrote:
kei17 wrote: You know, even Toriyama is pissed off by Super
Really? I heard he wasn't a fan of the animation, but haven't heard anything along the lines of that.
I can't tell you the source because it's insider information, but he surely got turned off and reluctant to keep being involved with Super, so they had to provide him with some basic ideas for the plot of the new Goku Black arc.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:55 pm

Skar wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:05 am
sangofe wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:53 amWhen and where did he communicate this?
I googled "Kei17 Toriyama quitting" and this was one of the threads where it was mentioned:
viewtopic.php?t=30157&start=23020#p1144530

I thought it was interesting but I'm not sure how someone could obtain this kind of information unless they work closely with Toriyama. I still file it under another "DB rumor or hearsay but could make sense if it was ever verified".
So is Kei17 reliable?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:20 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:55 pmSo is Kei17 reliable?
Very reliable. You don't really need any inside info to see that Toriyama's heart wasn't in it following BOG. I remember he was doing countless interviews leading up to that movie's release, you could tell that he was very excited about it, but we didn't get any of that with RF and what came after. Sure he'd give a comment here and there, or an interview every few years, but nothing like what he was doing with BOG's marketing.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:35 am

IntangibleFancy wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:55 pmSo is Kei17 reliable?
He's a longtime member of Kanzenshuu but I don't know if he's ever revealed what he does for a living or how he could've obtained this information. I think it makes sense but no way for us to verify if it's 100% true or only a rumor.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:52 pm

Be careful with the word "rumor". In this case, "unsubstantiated" would be a better phrasing. You know exactly where the information originated and you know who exactly said it at what point in time about specific subject matter; there's nothing "rumored" about it.

I know that may come across as splitting hairs to certain audiences, but the distinction is very important.

(For what it's worth, I'll back it up. No, I'm not willing to say anything else on the subject.)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:48 pm

The one and only thing they've said about the anime this year was that they still semi-care about it, and that was all the way back in March.

How did we manage to be in a worse state than last year? At least back then we were able to force Toei to acknowledge the anime's existence with all of those false alarms.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:38 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:48 pmHow did we manage to be in a worse state than last year? At least back then we were able to force Toei to acknowledge the anime's existence with all of those false alarms.
It was said recently that Digimon was going to last 66 episodes so it won't end until maybe October of 2021. If they are working on another anime, they probably wouldn't announce it this early. Jump Festa is a few months away and the current manga arc looks to be ending in a few chapters so we might get an announcement then. It might only be about the next manga arc though.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:37 am

IntangibleFancy wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:48 pmHow did we manage to be in a worse state than last year? At least back then we were able to force Toei to acknowledge the anime's existence with all of those false alarms.
I've been very vocal about believing Super will return, but the more I think about it, the more obvious it becomes that it was wishful thinking. To start, Toriyama himself, the shows big selling point, stated that he wasn't happy with it. That was followed by a reliable source in Kei17 saying he didn't even want to continue past the Champa arc. You've also got people on the production team stating during and after the show ended that working on it was a nightmare, to put it nicely. When you take both of these into account, and look at just how inconsistent it was in both its writing and production, you can see that no one involved was having a good time making it.

Toriyama is clearly having a better time working on the manga, so that will continue for a long time I assume. A new movie was confirmed to have gotten a green light, so we should expect that by December 2021 (although with Covid maybe 2022).
Skar wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:38 pmJump Festa is a few months away and the current manga arc looks to be ending in a few chapters so we might get an announcement then. It might only be about the next manga arc though.
The next arc will probably start in December, which is when Jump Festa takes place, so a new arc should be promoted there.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:55 am

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:37 amThe next arc will probably start in December, which is when Jump Festa takes place, so a new arc should be promoted there.
That makes sense. I hope we get a statement from Toriyama. I think the last time we've heard from him Jump Festa 2019 when he talked about Broly.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:01 am

Skar wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:55 amThat makes sense. I hope we get a statement from Toriyama. I think the last time we've heard from him Jump Festa 2019 when he talked about Broly.
He also talked about his "next work", which could've been a new manga arc or movie. If I'm not mistaking the Moro arc was already going on, so I doubt he was talking about that. Whatever it is, I really hope it's something new and not an old concept being brought back.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:10 am

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:01 amHe also talked about his "next work", which could've been a new manga arc or movie. If I'm not mistaking the Moro arc was already going on, so I doubt he was talking about that. Whatever it is, I really hope it's something new and not an old concept being brought back.
Yeah it's been almost two years since that statement so maybe whatever he's been working on whether it's the next manga arc or movie will be revealed at Jump Festa.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:12 am

Skar wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:55 am
Matches Malone wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:37 amThe next arc will probably start in December, which is when Jump Festa takes place, so a new arc should be promoted there.
That makes sense. I hope we get a statement from Toriyama. I think the last time we've heard from him Jump Festa 2019 when he talked about Broly.
Yeesh, that last paragraph's opening sentence sure is...insulting. :|
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:59 am

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:12 amYeesh, that last paragraph's opening sentence sure is...insulting. :|
Dragon Ball and Shonen in general are aimed at a male audience, so it's not surprising for someone old school like Toriyama to not be aware of the number of female fans DB has. If I'm not mistaking, Toriyama said back in 2015 that he wasn't aware of how popular DB was, so he's clearly not connected with the fanbase.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:23 am

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:59 am
JulieYBM wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:12 amYeesh, that last paragraph's opening sentence sure is...insulting. :|
Dragon Ball and Shonen in general are aimed at a male audience, so it's not surprising for someone old school like Toriyama to not be aware of the number of female fans DB has. If I'm not mistaking, Toriyama said back in 2015 that he wasn't aware of how popular DB was, so he's clearly not connected with the fanbase.
His implication that you need to be a boy to understand Dragon Ball--as if women cannot because they are women--is the same sort of dumb shit women face in other scenarios all the time. It's really tiring to essentially be told by creators to go fuck myself all the time.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:29 am

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:23 amIt's really tiring to essentially be told by creators to go fuck myself all the time.
"I hope all men and the few women who are fans enjoy this" is as far away from "If you're a female fan go F yourself" as it can get. Maybe if you'd stop being so sensitive and insulted by everything you'd realize that he didn't say anything wrong. Toriyama is well known for being disconnected from this fanbase, as like I said above, he wasn't even aware of DB's popularity until recently.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:42 am

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:29 am
JulieYBM wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:23 amIt's really tiring to essentially be told by creators to go fuck myself all the time.
"I hope all men and the few women who are fans enjoy this" is as far away from "If you're a female fan go F yourself" as it can get. Maybe if you'd stop being so sensitive and insulted by everything you'd realize that he didn't say anything wrong. Toriyama is well known for being disconnected from this fanbase, as like I said above, he wasn't even aware of DB's popularity until recently.
He's literally trying to define the perimeters of womens' genders by saying "if you enjoy Dragon Ball it's because you are a woman who understands boys' hearts!" No Dipshit-sensei, it's because I like seeing himbos beat each other up.

Old cis man is sexist and an idiot for saying something he pulled out of his ass.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter