"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:27 pm

Chuquita wrote:Well, maybe they'll let Trunks and Goten become visibly older this time around?
:lol: :lol: Nothing points that way.

By the way:
Close enough!
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:32 pm

GokuRules987 wrote:Anyway my point is that i want Goku to become stronger in dragon ball super and surpass the Gods. There is nothing wrong with loving to fight and training, You guys assume that Goku would hate to be strongest because he will not have anymore opponents to challenge when i personally think it wouldn't be the case because he stills shows somewhat chill attitude when it comes to spending time with his family or relaxing when hes about to fight a very powerful opponent like cell. If he becomes the strongest character in the multiverse then he will probably find other ways to look for a stronger opponents who exist beyond 12 universes or outside the dragon ball verse sorta like fiction verse or crossover XD
If chapter one of Super is of any indication, he's bored out of his mind not having a strong opponent to fight.

Wanting Goku to become the strongest is fine, but that would go completely against one of themes in the series which is "there is always someone better".

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:32 pm

Maybe i'm blind but i just don't see where people are getting the impression that Super is going to be a retelling of BOG, explain it to me.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:36 pm

shadd21 wrote:Maybe i'm blind but i just don't see where people are getting the impression that Super is going to be a retelling of BOG, explain it to me.
Goku said he haven't fought since Boo.

Beerus then appears thinking about a SSG as if he never seem one. He's also awake when he's supposed to be sleep

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:47 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Well, maybe they'll let Trunks and Goten become visibly older this time around?
:lol: :lol: Nothing points that way.

By the way:
Close enough!
It's the circle of liiiiiife, and it moves us alllll. :3

Does this make Raditz, Scar? And who would be Timon and Pumba? Karin and Yajirobe?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:49 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
Bullza wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:Wow I really am starting to buy that this is a retelling of post Boo.
For the love of god please don't let that be the case. Surely they can't be that stupid to do something like that.
All the signs point towards it. Seems like they're retelling the last 3 major stories of modern DBZ.
So they made brand new movies which were so successful that it is probably why they got the series made in the first place. There's a lot of possibilities to where the series could be set and what stories could be told.

And yet they decide to retell the events of the movies thus making the actual movies irrelevant and one of the main reasons why the movies and the series got so much attention was because these movies were supposed to be canon but now it's going to raise questions on whether they actually are or not.

It's going to turn Battle of Gods into Path to Power. Just a condensed retelling of the "true" version of the story.

It is an even more idiotic decision than making Goku a child in GT.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:51 pm

Maybe they're doing this because they don't have any other ideas? I dunno.
I wanted it to pick up where F left off, but oh well.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

GokuRules987
Banned

Post by GokuRules987 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:53 pm

Doctor. wrote: If chapter one of Super is of any indication, he's bored out of his mind not having a strong opponent to fight.

Wanting Goku to become the strongest is fine, but that would go completely against one of themes in the series which is "there is always someone better".
Yeah but if Goku finaly managed so surpass all the 12 gods and become the strongest character in DBZ verse, He could just travel to a different fiction verse like what that blonde kid with a key sword could do in kingdom hearts. Just imagine if Goku could travel into different fiction verse's in seek of stronger opponents XD
He could just go into Tenchi Muyo verse and discover that there are much stronger opponents than him that he could fight against Chousins, Tenchi, Z etc
He could also go into different universes and help main heroes there defeat very strong villains like help Superman defeat Anti-monitor from DC verse or travel into Saint Seiya verse and help Seiya defeat Hades. The Possibilities are limitless and Goku would never be bored. XD

I mean japan literally made an official Goku day in their country. And if some kind of fictional character has a such a big influence in a real world that they made an official day for him, then I cant even speak for what he could have in a fictional world.

Thats my final thought on this guys.
My Intelligence level is over 9000!!!

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:55 pm

Wow I really thought you were going to throw a parade for the return of Goku's Blue track suit Chuquita. :lol:

It looks okay about what I thought it would look like actually, and quite fine with that.

I also get the feeling Champa is jealous of Beerus for the reason the way beerus is mocking him in the preview. Maybe Beerus feels Champa is to fat to become a god or something.

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:00 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
shadd21 wrote:Maybe i'm blind but i just don't see where people are getting the impression that Super is going to be a retelling of BOG, explain it to me.
Goku said he haven't fought since Boo.

Beerus then appears thinking about a SSG as if he never seem one. He's also awake when he's supposed to be sleep
Still doesn't strongly point to them doing a flatout retelling if anything it could be them reconing the early events of BOG before skipping ahead to the ROF era but aye if they are retelling the movies, i'm hoping they'll recon SSG into being fully equal to Beerus, and Trunks and Goten going along with Goku and Vegeta for "godly training" with Whis.

GokuRules987
Banned

Post by GokuRules987 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:01 pm

Chuquita wrote: Does this make Raditz, Scar? And who would be Timon and Pumba? Karin and Yajirobe?
Timon will be Whis and Pumba will be Beerus.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:04 pm

Retelling the last movies is definitely a bad decision. Even If I may end up liking more the tv series versions or not.
If they don't want to go post EOZ, just begin this post ROF and do a quick recap about everything it happened so far. Simple.

It can be good for the people that didn't watch the movies, but only casual fans didn't watch BOG at least, by this point. In other hand, it can be a turn off for people that already watched the movies, because they will watch some same scenes again.

Super can be so much, but seems like they won't take all the potential this news series could be.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:04 pm

Chuquita wrote:Maybe they're doing this because they don't have any other ideas? I dunno.
I wanted it to pick up where F left off, but oh well.
I don't see how that could be possible. They made it clear in Battle of Gods that there were 11 other universes with 11 other Gods of Destruction. It seemed like a given that any future stories would involve Goku and any others travelling to these universes and confronting the Gods there.

How could they be that out of ideas that they need to retell a story barely 2 years old when they've got so much to work with?

I don't mind them setting the series before, during, in between and after the movies but don't retell them for goodness sake.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:05 pm

[quote="Bullza"][quote="TheGmGoken"][quote="Bullza"][quote="dbzfan7"]Wow I really am starting to buy that this is a retelling of post Boo.[/quote]

For the love of god please don't let that be the case. Surely they can't be that stupid to do something like that.[/quote]
All the signs point towards it. Seems like they're retelling the last 3 major stories of modern DBZ.[/quote]

So they made brand new movies which were so successful that it is probably why they got the series made in the first place. There's a lot of possibilities to where the series could be set and what stories could be told.

And yet they decide to retell the events of the movies thus making the actual movies irrelevant and one of the main reasons why the movies and the series got so much attention was because these movies were supposed to be canon but now it's going to raise questions on whether they actually are or not.

It's going to turn Battle of Gods into Path to Power. Just a condensed retelling of the "true" version of the story.
Well lets just see next sunday to see what but overall i agree with you
It is an even more idiotic decision than making Goku a child in GT.[/quote]
Well i agree maybe they just retell the early events then skip straight to post rof era

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:12 pm

Has anyone kept checking how are the Japanese fans reacting to these news? What's the general consensus on their part?
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:16 pm

I already thought we were in a time loop...but this could be even worse....or better if the tv series does better job than the movies. Even so this feels like a waste of time.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

GokuRules987
Banned

Post by GokuRules987 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:19 pm

soulnova wrote:Has anyone kept checking how are the Japanese fans reacting to these news? What's the general consensus on their part?
I would like to know about that too, I usually try to do a search on JP yahoo answers and see what people thoughts on DBS but the google translation isn't very good.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:19 pm

Retan wrote:Wow I really thought you were going to throw a parade for the return of Goku's Blue track suit Chuquita. :lol:

It looks okay about what I thought it would look like actually, and quite fine with that.

I also get the feeling Champa is jealous of Beerus for the reason the way beerus is mocking him in the preview. Maybe Beerus feels Champa is to fat to become a god or something.
Oh I did! :3 It just got buried 6 pages back. This thread is moving so fast after all:
Chuquita wrote:Return of the light blue sweatsuit!!!! OuO In addition to the 08 scarf outfit?!
Of all things I focus on that. >_>

It's like a reunion of all the cute semi recent outfits Gokû has worn now. I love that.

I may get some ssjg Gokû after all!
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

ArcaneSuperSaiyan

Post by ArcaneSuperSaiyan » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:20 pm

Marco Polo wrote:Videl in the 90s
Videl now
What happened :(
If you ask me, Videl looks better than she ever has before in BOG:
While I didn't care much for her new design as drawn by Toriyama it's animated really well in the movie.

And those curves...
Videl blossomed quite nicely if you ask me.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:28 pm

Couldn't these scenes with Beerus having meals, meeting Champ, fighting that guy take place between the scene in Battle of Gods where he first hears about Frieza being killed and the following scene where he goes to see the oracle fish?

Obviously you assume it happened right afterwards but whose to say there wasn't a gap of a week between those two scenes.

I'd be all for them fleshing the movies out but not to replace anything. The show could go into detail on how Frieza trained in those 4 months for example.