"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

danyq94

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by danyq94 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:35 pm

Bardock God of Time wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:32 pm https://twitter.com/DBSChronicles/statu ... 2138558469

how reliable is this guy?
He literally revealed everything about Super Hero months ago

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:43 pm

This is still a rumor, nothing confirmed.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:00 pm

Assuming it's true, they are going to make the same old mistakes, aren't they? To set it after Universe Survival saga can only mean they intend on retelling Movie 1 (*sigh*). They better make it worth this time. The only thing that needs to be expanded is the flashback part, everything that was cut, put it in the anime. Every idea that wasn't even made into storyboard, add them now.

And then we move on to Moro and Granola sagas, I presume? Oh well... But the good thing is, a bit more of Dai Kaioshin, Dragon Ball Online's Yadorats, Uub, Bardock and Gine, but I don't know if these characters warrant an entire adaptation of these sagas, given how they have been.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:15 pm

I'll be shocked if it doesn't start with retellings of Broly and SH, before moving onto new stories, completely ignoring the manga arcs.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:22 pm

If this rumour is to be believed, count me in the group expecting a Broly and Superhero retelling. But I would throw in they'd probably adapt the manga arcs, because at this stage, why the fuck not? I know the current mentality is there are basically three continuities (movies, anime and manga). Still, if there is more money to be made by giving exposure to Toyotaro's manga, I will bet a good dollar the Dragon Ball Room will throw that mentality out the window very quickly

Gogeta_Blue

Post by Gogeta_Blue » Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:31 pm

I'm fine with Broly being adapted if:

1. Shintani is the lead character designer.

2. Production isn't rushed so we don't have another episode 5/episode 24. I can't imagine they'd make that mistake again.

As for adapting SH, how? Moving it between Broly and Moro wouldn't really work because of Gohan and Piccolo's new forms. They could still adapt it after Moro or Granolah but that's still years away.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:42 pm

Gogeta_Blue wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:31 pmAs for adapting SH, how? Moving it between Broly and Moro wouldn't really work because of Gohan and Piccolo's new forms.
Those forms mean literally nothing to the characters. Hell, the plot itself for Superhero is quite inconsequential with how written in a vacuum it s. So tweaking and changing elements of the narrative really wouldn't matter in the slightest.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:49 pm

Grimlock wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:00 pm Assuming it's true, they are going to make the same old mistakes, aren't they? To set it after Universe Survival saga can only mean they intend on retelling Movie 1 (*sigh*). They better make it worth this time. The only thing that needs to be expanded is the flashback part, everything that was cut, put it in the anime. Every idea that wasn't even made into storyboard, add them now.

And then we move on to Moro and Granola sagas, I presume? Oh well... But the good thing is, a bit more of Dai Kaioshin, Dragon Ball Online's Yadorats, Uub, Bardock and Gine, but I don't know if these characters warrant an entire adaptation of these sagas, given how they have been.
Mistake? Mistake would be to omit them.

I want a format to have the whole Super story on it. They can also add the cut stuff from Broly.
Gogeta_Blue wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:31 pm As for adapting SH, how? Moving it between Broly and Moro wouldn't really work because of Gohan and Piccolo's new forms. They could still adapt it after Moro or Granolah but that's still years away.
Super Hero is after the Granolah arc timeline wise.

Soba Mask
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Soba Mask » Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:22 pm

ignore all the manga stuff and go straight after Super Hero plot wise

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:40 pm

ZombieVito wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:49 pmMistake? Mistake would be to omit them.

I want a format to have the whole Super story on it. They can also add the cut stuff from Broly.
But that's bad, having the same "story" being retold isn't doing any favor. If only they were competent enough to improve upon the original material, then I guess it could be tolerable, but we have not one, but two prior evidences that this isn't the case. And then there is the animation department, even I who don't care about it can't help but feel bothered by the ugliness that is to look at Dragon Ball Super. It will already be a waste of everybody's time if the series comes back and it doesn't have the same quality animation as Dragon Quest (why would we want a retelling if it fails in all departments? Just for the sake of having the whole "story" in it? Not worth to me). And nothing's omitted, you wanna know what happened? Just go and watch the movies.

Well, for now we can only hope for the best, despite everything...
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:48 pm

I'm fine with two more retellings. I'm sure the manga arcs will also be adapted, so you would go from:

Broly retelling
New arc - Moro
New arc - Granolah
Super Hero retelling

That's a lot better than the start of original Super. You get to new animated material straight away. And if they expand on the Broly flashbacks, there's plenty to look forward there as well.

Plus, considering it's probably going back to short 10-20 episode arcs, unlike the Tournament of Power, that's what? About a year?

This only makes me more hopeful the current manga arc ends faster. I'm curious where Dragon Ball goes next.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

danyq94

Post by danyq94 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:00 pm

I do not understand why it is thought that the Super anime can skip the arcs of the manga.
I mean, all anime born from a manga adapts ALL the story arcs of the source manga.

And then, commercially speaking, all the things that appeared in the manga would become physical merchandise and video game stuff. They would never pass up such an opportunity.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:01 pm

If they really needed to retell the movie, they should split the it into episode-length pieces like Demon Slayer did for the Mugen train arc. Plus, more preproduction time too would be given for the new material rather than a retelling.

Granted, if they create a retelling that successfully expands the lore of the movie and addresses any pitfalls in the plot that is well animated, I wouldn't mind a retelling. But if it's justing going to be a worse version of the movie with a few added bits here. Then, I prefer Toei just spread out the movie into episode lengths that fit the air.
Last edited by SaiyanGod117 on Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:05 pm

If it is coming back, I called this a long time ago. I said they were probably waiting for the Super rerun episodes to finish and for 2 new story arcs to finish in the manga. 8)

I just hope they don't retell Broly and Super Hero. I want it to start at Moro, or after Super Hero

danyq94

Post by danyq94 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:09 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:05 pm If it is coming back, I called this a long time ago. I said they were probably waiting for the Super rerun episodes to finish and for 2 new story arcs to finish in the manga. 8)

I just hope they don't retell Broly and Super Hero. I want it to start at Moro, or after Super Hero
Has the rerun been completed or are there still a few episodes remaining?

PrinceVegetto
Beyond Newbie

Post by PrinceVegetto » Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:39 pm

danyq94 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:09 pm
UpFromTheSkies wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:05 pm If it is coming back, I called this a long time ago. I said they were probably waiting for the Super rerun episodes to finish and for 2 new story arcs to finish in the manga. 8)

Has the rerun been completed or are there still a few episodes remaining?
The re-runs begun airing on February 14, 2021. If they've been airing episodes every Sunday on BS Fuji TV, then the final episode should be airing on August 20, 2023.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:04 pm

Grimlock wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:40 pm
ZombieVito wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:49 pmMistake? Mistake would be to omit them.

But that's bad, having the same "story" being retold isn't doing any favor. If only they were competent enough to improve upon the original material, then I guess it could be tolerable, but we have not one, but two prior evidences that this isn't the case. And then there is the animation department, even I who don't care about it can't help but feel bothered by the ugliness that is to look at Dragon Ball Super. It will already be a waste of everybody's time if the series comes back and it doesn't have the same quality animation as Dragon Quest (why would we want a retelling if it fails in all departments? Just for the sake of having the whole "story" in it? Not worth to me). And nothing's omitted, you wanna know what happened? Just go and watch the movies.

Well, for now we can only hope for the best, despite everything...
Both retellings have a better story than the movies. The RoF arc actually fixed errors from it's movie counterpart.

I couldn't care less about animation. Give me the whole story in the anime.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:07 pm

I’m not getting excited until we see actual legit proof of the anime returning. I’ve been let down so many times these past few years. I can’t take another false rumour. :lol:

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:53 pm

Super Hero retelling after Granolah arc would be weird. The movie will be old by the time the anime reaches that point (late 2024 or even 2025?)

Not to mention two whole new arcs get adapted only so they can retell a movie afterwards? :think:

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:42 pm

Xeogran wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:53 pm Super Hero retelling after Granolah arc would be weird. The movie will be old by the time the anime reaches that point (late 2024 or even 2025?)

Not to mention two whole new arcs get adapted only so they can retell a movie afterwards? :think:
They could adapt Dragon Ball Minus & Jaco the Patrolman - that'd be 1-4 episodes.

If the manga goes post-End of Z - maybe the next arc will just skip End of Z, so the Super Anime could retell the End of Z with Super elements mixed in.