"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Grimlock » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:33 pm

Gotta love memes. :lol: Goku fans right now!

But hey, Goku "is the soul of Dragon Ball", so he's still fulfilling his role as the main protagonist.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:17 am

Lord Beerus wrote:Someone needs to have the balls to tell Toriyama, "No. This sounds stupid." Or, "We need more than that to work with."
Toei are being just as lazy and uncreative. This is why I think DB needs new blood working on it if it's going to continue. It needs people willing to push each other to get the best ideas possible, not this whole "Toriyama's word is worshiped", "Broly's popular so we need someone like him" and "I'm going to give very vague outlines yet still be the head writer" that's going on during their meetings. If these people, including Toriyama aren't willing to turn down each others' stupid ways of writing and push this franchise forward then they need to go and some major changes within the staff needs to take place.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:54 am

sintzu wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Someone needs to have the balls to tell Toriyama, "No. This sounds stupid." Or, "We need more than that to work with."
Toei are being just as lazy and uncreative. This is why I think DB needs new blood working on it if it's going to continue. It needs people willing to push each other to get the best ideas possible, not this whole "Toriyama's word is worshiped", "Broly's popular so we need someone like him" and "I'm going to give very vague outlines yet still be the head writer" that's going on during their meetings. If these people, including Toriyama aren't willing to turn down each others' stupid ways of writing and push this franchise forward then they need to go and some major changes within the staff needs to take place.
But Toriyama's name brings in credibility and it will always be that way.

Toriyama can hand it over to Toyotaro and Toyo can make Toei run like a puppet for him but japanese people wont care for him that much. Ever.

Japanese people arent as cynical as westerners on Kanzenshuu, r/dbz or DBZF. I am pretty sure they didnt chat shit about the ToP pacing and Jiren's character and what not.

Lord Beerus is utterly wrong on this one. Freeza winning is great on many levels. Its not stupid.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:02 am

Professor Freeza wrote:But Toriyama's name brings in credibility and it will always be that way.

Toriyama can hand it over to Toyotaro and Toyo can make Toei run like a puppet for him but japanese people wont care for him that much. Ever.
As long as the product is good people will come around. Even if they get new writers to work on it, that doesn't mean they can't keep Toriyama's name on it as a supervisor or something along those lines.

Toriyama's original DB is my favorite manga hands down so when I say I want him either replaced or pushed harder that's not me hating on him, I just want what's best for this franchise.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:09 am

Maybe the producers ought to advise Toriyama to take some tyrosine supplements. Doing so would enhance the dopamine chemical in his mind which is known for helping to determine concentration, eagerness, memory retention, along with a whole host of other neurochemical functions. If he's normally so consistently inadequate and lethargic then this could potentially help him.

DragonHermit
Regular

Post by DragonHermit » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:11 am

When you get to Dragon Ball's level of fame it's damned if you do, damned if you don't. The main criticism of DB has been "but Goku always wins". What happened with Beerus, Hit, Zamasu, fuck even with Frieza the first time around?

Goku has never had a clean win this entire series at the end of an arc.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:01 am

Lionel wrote:Maybe the producers ought to advise Toriyama to take some tyrosine supplements. Doing so would enhance the dopamine chemical in his mind which is known for helping to determine concentration, eagerness, memory retention, along with a whole host of other neurochemical functions. If he's normally so consistently inadequate and lethargic then this could potentially help him.
How did you get lethargic from this interview?
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:31 am

DragonHermit wrote:When you get to Dragon Ball's level of fame it's damned if you do, damned if you don't. The main criticism of DB has been "but Goku always wins". What happened with Beerus, Hit, Zamasu, fuck even with Frieza the first time around?

Goku has never had a clean win this entire series at the end of an arc.
Honestly, what the hell? What show are those people watching? Multiple users in this thread have already noted how many times Goku has lost against a main antagonist in DB, DBZ and DB Super, and yet they still insist "Goku always wins"? What's going on here, poor recollection or something else?

Can you imagine how bad of a look it'll be if Jiren outright beats UI Goku with just sheer strength? People would put this show in the dirt and I wouldn't blame them.

Wait for the episode to judge as always, but man, I hope those spoilers were full of shit.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:46 am

HeroR wrote:
Lionel wrote:Maybe the producers ought to advise Toriyama to take some tyrosine supplements. Doing so would enhance the dopamine chemical in his mind which is known for helping to determine concentration, eagerness, memory retention, along with a whole host of other neurochemical functions. If he's normally so consistently inadequate and lethargic then this could potentially help him.
How did you get lethargic from this interview?
Interview? I was thinking about Toriyama's attitude in general. He seems to get a lot of flack for not giving a full committed performance so prescribing something that would help his euphoria for being involved in Dragon Ball sounded like a good idea, in my opinion.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:49 am

Looks like this was the last straw that broke the camels back for people, and it happened right at the end of Super too. I knew this was going to happen, the cracks were showing all throughout Super and the outcome of this tournament broke the camel in half. I guess its for the best that Super is ending now, I don't think it can go on at this point. Not until the wounds have fully healed.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:02 am

Lionel wrote: Interview? I was thinking about Toriyama's attitude in general. He seems to get a lot of flack for not giving a full committed performance so prescribing something that would help his euphoria for being involved in Dragon Ball sounded like a good idea, in my opinion.
Well I mean, if he keeps throwing random ideas and stories with little thought but people eat it up, why try to improve? I wouldn't if I was him either, I'd just keep riding that gravy train lol
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:12 am

precita wrote:Looks like this was the last straw that broke the camels back for people, and it happened right at the end of Super too. I knew this was going to happen, the cracks were showing all throughout Super and the outcome of this tournament broke the camel in half. I guess its for the best that Super is ending now, I don't think it can go on at this point. Not until the wounds have fully healed.
Ahhh, there she is... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:15 am

precita wrote:Looks like this was the last straw that broke the camels back for people, and it happened right at the end of Super too. I knew this was going to happen, the cracks were showing all throughout Super and the outcome of this tournament broke the camel in half. I guess its for the best that Super is ending now, I don't think it can go on at this point. Not until the wounds have fully healed.
Another straw for another broken camel. I might say, you have quite a pile of dead camels already.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:28 am

precita wrote:I guess its for the best that Super is ending now, I don't think it can go on at this point. Not until the wounds have fully healed.
The franchise is at an all time high financial wise so regardless of what we think of its quality it can and will continue, most likely keeping the same mistakes.

The quality will only improve if :

1- It returns as a seasonal anime.
2- There are completely new writers brought on board.

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:58 am

Super will end. There will be the movie. And at least in 2 years or so, they’ll continue it in a new anime. Mostlikely not going to be called super

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:02 am

sintzu wrote:
precita wrote:I guess its for the best that Super is ending now, I don't think it can go on at this point. Not until the wounds have fully healed.
The franchise is at an all time high financial wise so regardless of what we think of its quality it can and will continue, most likely keeping the same mistakes.

The quality will only improve if :

1- It returns as a seasonal anime.
2- There are completely new writers brought on board.
The only option that would actually have a visible improvement is the option 1. The writers for Super (safe for maybe Hisao, whose proven he doesn't have the experience or capability of writing interesting dragonball), or all fine for the most part. They're all well respected or at the very least experienced script writers, or have at least proven they have respect for the source material.

The reason Super turned out so horribly, I would say, comes down to how poor the planning and schedule was for the show. Pretty much the majority of Super problems could be placed down to this poor planning.

Even if Super were to return in a new form as a long running show, if given a proper schedule and coherent idea's, as well as an adequately talented staff, leads me to believe a revival series could definitely end up being the strongest in the franchise. This is of a course a hypothetical though.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:20 am

Helios518 wrote:That's interesting, but by "looking at the other's mouth" does that mean the Kale VA would look at say the Caulifla VA's mouth?
Yes, that's it.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:40 am

JazzMazz wrote:The writers for Super (safe for maybe Hisao, whose proven he doesn't have the experience or capability of writing interesting dragonball), or all fine for the most part. They're all well respected or at the very least experienced script writers, or have at least proven they have respect for the source material.
This new interview and what we know about Super's writing process shows that Toei's writers and Toriyama aren't willing to take the franchise seriously, they're just happy patting each other on the back for the bare minimum work they've done. Dragon ball needs someone who can look at everyone and say no, this isn't good enough.

Someone should've told everyone that if they want female Saiyans, they need to do better than a Broly copy and Cell arc Vegeta wannabe. Someone should've told Toriyama that 80 fighters is just too much at this point. There are so many ideas that shouldn't have gone beyond someone's thoughts yet somehow they made it into the final product.

A good amount of Super's writing does anything but respect the source material or show that the writers are experienced.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:55 am

Miracles wrote:You seen the whole interview?
It's here. In Japanese, though.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:59 am

sintzu wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:The writers for Super (safe for maybe Hisao, whose proven he doesn't have the experience or capability of writing interesting dragonball), or all fine for the most part. They're all well respected or at the very least experienced script writers, or have at least proven they have respect for the source material.
This new interview and what we know about Super's writing process shows that Toei's writers and Toriyama aren't willing to take the franchise seriously, they're just happy patting each other on the back for the bare minimum work they've done. Dragon ball needs someone who can look at everyone and say no, this isn't good enough.

Someone should've told everyone that if they want female Saiyans, they need to do better than a Broly copy and Cell arc Vegeta wannabe. Someone should've told Toriyama that 80 fighters is just too much at this point. There are so many ideas that shouldn't have gone beyond someone's thoughts yet somehow they made it into the final product.

A good amount of Super's writing does anything but respect the source material or show that the writers are experienced.
Story wise, there is nothing inherently wrong with having 80 fighters duking it out at the same time. If anything, its quite an ambitious and lofty idea for a tournament.

I don't see how this suggests anything along those lines. Of course the Kale stuff does show that they indeed want to capitalize on marketing, but outside of that, how were the Toei additions suggest anything about them not taking their jobs seriously.

Could you list some of the idea's that "shouldn't have gone beyond someone's thougths but did"(besides Broly, because though I don't like the idea, it was okayed at every single level and made it to the final product)? Also, I don't see the comparison to Caulifla and Cell arc Vegeta, they aren't really comparable since I don't remember Caulifla having emotional fits and making extremely stupid decisions for the sake of her "pride", which is also something that Caulifla doesn't have.

Also, I feel like this interview more than anything demonstrated that Toei are completely beholden to what Toriyama wants and really can't go against him.

Nakamura pats himself on the back, because he, and many other of the staff are literally working their asses off to bring Super to the screen. When they're creating Super, they aren't considering "muh powerlevels", or any other particularly superficial elements(though I still do have a problem with some of the stamina stuff, but only in specific cases), they're considering what kind of idea's they can convey through the tournament.

Though I don't necessarily agree with a lot of the creative decisions, I don't think there is anything particularly amatuerish about how they're thinking when writing Super.

(Also, don't particularly understand how it dis-respects the source material).