"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Noah » Mon May 25, 2020 1:34 am

Matches Malone wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:30 am I think it's a mix of the 3. They just announced XV2 has surpassed 6 million copies, Heroes is constantly getting new cards, and there's always new figures being sold and announced.
But it is not like XV2 is already the best selling game of the franchise, right? Heard about FightersZ being around 5 millions copies.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon May 25, 2020 1:43 am

Noah wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:34 amBut it is not like XV2 is already the best selling game of the franchise, right? Heard about FightersZ being around 5 millions copies.
I don't know how they compare to each other, but both, including Kakarot, have done phenomenally well. It isn't just the base games that are bringing in $$$, it's also all the DLC being released. XV2's DLC was supposed to end by mid 2017, yet we're still getting new packs 3 years later. I think FighterZ was only going to have 2 seasons, yet we're currently getting a 3rd.

Nanatsu88

Post by Nanatsu88 » Wed May 27, 2020 11:22 am

Today the release of Dragon Quest Dai has been made official in October of this year. It has been confirmed that the broadcast channel will be TV Tokyo.

With this it is clear that Dragon Quest Dai will not occupy the Digimon slot on FujiTV.

They have also shown the beginning of the series and a trailer with various scenes from the series.
TOEI has never released a trailer with scenes from the series so long in advance. An example is Digimon that its trailer came out a month before its premiere on TV.

There are 5 months left for it to be released and they already show a lot of material. This shows that they have very advanced production.

Considering that Dai is not going to replace Digimon on TV and that it has been shown that production is well advanced, the possibility that Super will return in April or July 2021 to replace Digimon is real.

Super can perfectly inherit the entire Digimon core staff and key animators like Shida or Takahashi can combine the 2 series with no problem.

In fact, in Dai's prologue it has been seen that Shida has encouraged him and Shida has also participated in the first Digimon episodes. This also shows that they can combine the production of the 2 series.

We will see what happens next year when the end of Digimon is near but the possibility of the return of Super is real.

The release of Dragon Quest Dai has not eliminated the return possibilities. That's great news. :lol:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed May 27, 2020 11:25 am

Advanced production schedules sure are nice
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed May 27, 2020 1:25 pm

Nanatsu88 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:22 amThere are 5 months left for it to be released and they already show a lot of material. This shows that they have very advanced production.
This is what's expected from anime, not the exception. Super's god awful production schedule wasn't just the exception, it was even bad compared to other rushed shows. It's a miracle they didn't cancel Super for a few months in order for things to get back on track.

MeMeDZEHH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MeMeDZEHH » Wed May 27, 2020 1:27 pm

I always knew Dragon Quest would be on an other channel. When Digimon was announced it became obvious but i have to say i started to doubt when i saw the pace of the first episodes of Digimon. Now the question, is Digimon will be airing for a year only or for more ? I know the ratings is not really that important for big series, but the 3 first episodes of Digimon really did poorly.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed May 27, 2020 1:37 pm

I have just finished Attack on Titan (out of sheer curiosity because people just won't stop talking about it), and I intend to watch this new Digimon series and Dragon Quest and damn... If I were Dragon Ball Super I would be jealous. All these animes and their high quality is superb to say the least.

Attack on Titan rivals Avatar in terms of animation. Not that I care about animation but a good-looking series is always welcome. And then there's story mainly, needless to say, they all have one from start to finish. Dende knows I wish Dragon Ball to get this kind of series but the recent one we got bummed all expectations I had. If Dragon Ball Super will return someday, please, be like these animes!
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed May 27, 2020 1:51 pm

Grimlock wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:37 pmI were Dragon Ball Super I would be jealous. All these animes and their high quality is superb to say the least. Then there's story mainly, needless to say, they all have one from start to finish. Dende knows I wish Dragon Ball to get this kind of series.
God knows I'm jealous. It's heartbreaking seeing all these high production anime with great stories coming out left and right, only for the long awaited sequel to what set the standard for Shonen to get the bare minimum.
Grimlock wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:37 pmIf Dragon Ball Super will return someday, please, be like these animes!
I think it will be from a production standpoint, if Broly's anything to go by, but the days of DB having a good story are long gone. As long as the current writers are involved (including Toriyama), DB will just be cool fights and flashy transformations. I can't blame them for not putting any effort into the writing, as this fan base has the lowest of standards.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed May 27, 2020 2:24 pm

Yeah, Dragon Ball Super Broly is the perfect example that even if we got a "beautiful animated" series, it won't do much. All flashy stuff but no substance doesn't really live up to modern standards (well, credits where is due, the first 25 minutes of the movie had some content/story, it was cool. Unfortunately, it was short-lived, though).
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Wed May 27, 2020 3:24 pm

I'm not sure about that. I mean, it's not like people hate the movie because it has "all flashy stuff but no substance". Also, at the same time we have animes like Shingeki no Kyojin, we have animes like One-Punch Man (first season), and both are loved by their audiences (I heard a lot of complaints about the third season of Shingeki, though).

MeMeDZEHH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MeMeDZEHH » Wed May 27, 2020 5:12 pm

People really underestimate the power of a nice direction and animation for an anime. I saw a lot of anime with better writing than demon slayer, really a lot. I find that the story is really flat and there are many points that I find ridiculous. However, I enjoyed watching the show because the visual quality was so high that it overcome the flaws of the writing. And it seems i'm not alone.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu May 28, 2020 9:53 pm

SSJgogeto wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:24 pmIt's not like people hate the movie because it has "all flashy stuff but no substance".
No one hates it, but you'll rarely hear anyone praise it for anything outside of its art and animation. When was the last time fans talked about the great character development Goku and Vegeta went through in the movie ? or the surprising plot twists ?

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Fri May 29, 2020 11:44 am

Well, I didn't hear fans talking about the character development of Goku or Vegeta or plot twists in ANY movie, at all. But I didn't hear complaints about this either.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri May 29, 2020 9:59 pm

SSJgogeto wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:44 amWell, I didn't hear fans talking about the character development of Goku or Vegeta or plot twists in ANY movie, at all.
Goku and Vegeta went through plenty of development in the BOG movie.

Goku starts out thinking he's better than everyone, so overconfident he asks Beerus if he wants him to drop out of Ssj3.
For the first time in DB Vegeta completely throws away his pride in order to protect the earth.
Also for the first time, we see exactly how much Vegeta cares for Bulma, resulting in him surpassing both Goku and Gohan.
After doing the ritual, Goku reveals he's not happy with a power that isn't his, but put his pride aside just as Vegeta did.
Goku admits to Beerus that he now respects Vegeta for what he did, just as Vegeta did for him back in the Buu arc.
Vegeta admits to Krillin that despite always wanting to fight the big fights, he's happy Goku was there that one time to handle things.
At the end, Goku acts humble and admits he's not the strongest, the complete opposite to how he acted on Kai's planet.
Beerus starts the movie with no friends and believed he was untouchable, but that changed at the end.
After his fight with Goku and Vegeta, he admits that there are those who can challenge him, and he even made new friends on earth.

No one expects any development from the original 13 movies, as those weren't written by Toriyama. I did however expect the level of development mentioned above to also be in RF and Broly, due to them not only being written by Toriyama, but being sequels to such a great movie in BOG.

In terms of plot twists, there were 4 major ones in BOG. Vegeta being the only one capable of fighting Beerus without SsjG, Goku losing in the end, Beerus revealing the existence of the multiverse, and Whis being his trainer and someone stronger than him.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Sat May 30, 2020 4:20 pm

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that we don't have character development of plot twists in the movies (altough IMO a lot these mentioned above aren't really signs of character development and the only sigificative plot twist is the existence of the multiverse), I'm just saying: "people normally don't talk about it".

This isn't the first or the second thing that people remember about the movie, and even then it's hard to hear something like "wow, that movie had a really huge character development from Goku and Vegeta!".

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat May 30, 2020 10:38 pm

SSJgogeto wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 4:20 pmThis isn't the first or the second thing that people remember about the movie, and even then it's hard to hear something like "wow, that movie had a really huge character development from Goku and Vegeta!".
Without that character development, BOG would've just been another mindless action movie like RF and Broly. I know fans may not state it outright, but I think the character development is a major reason why so many like it so much.

MeMeDZEHH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MeMeDZEHH » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:39 pm

Atsuhiro Tomioka the supervisor of the new digimon 2020 is confirming that the series will be airing for a year.

https://digimon.net/special/1/

Nanatsu88

Post by Nanatsu88 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:49 pm

MeMeDZEHH wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:39 pm Atsuhiro Tomioka the supervisor of the new digimon 2020 is confirming that the series will be airing for a year.

https://digimon.net/special/1/
Thanks for the info! Important news!

- Dragon Quest Dai broadcast in October on TV Tokyo channel
- Digimon confirmed only 1 year

This confirms that in July 2021 a new TOEI series should be broadcast on FujiTv at 9 a.m.

In April or May 2021 they must confirm which series will take their place. Hopefully it's Super's comeback.

Let's wait for news on this topic at that time.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:13 pm

Nanatsu88 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:49 pmIn April or May 2021 they must confirm which series will take their place.
April or May? I mean, we had news about Kitaro ocupping Super's timeslot in January.

Anyway, I'm hyped.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:34 pm

SSJgogeto wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:13 pmApril or May? I mean, we had news about Kitaro ocupping Super's timeslot in January.
That was 3 months before it aired in April. Whatever's taking Digimon's place should also be announced 3-4 months before.