"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kishido
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Kishido » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:27 am

Yeah no Genkidama mode.

But both translations are different.

If it is the body moving on your own ability why is it giving Goku a new transformation?

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:32 am

Totamo wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Totamo wrote: Thats because the first half was just a flashback and the second half spent a good bit recapping the first episode.

But one piece as a whole wastes about 5 to 7 minutes including the opening anyway
Doubt that was reason why the ratings were low since you have to actually watch the special know there a lot of flashbacks. It isn't like the Japanese fans knew ahead of time.
Michsi wrote:
Horrible thought: what if those few good-looking seconds we saw in the trailer are the best the special has to offer D:

I find it hard to believe that we're getting two episodes worth of action, much less well animated action. There's going to be padding, and a lot of it. I just know it. :(
The special are two episodes of Super shown together, so the padding would just be Super's normal padding.
I wasn't talking about ratings but why many were disappointed, i went and bought snacks for it
I see. My mistake.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:33 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Apparent spoilers for #111

https://www.db-z.com/dragon-ball-super- ... e-111/amp/

Not much other than Goku doesn't get knocked out (like some people believed for some reason).
From Herms:

https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/915518547224231937

Goku is badly wounded, but he awakening for his body to move without thinking.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:34 am

Michsi wrote:
Totamo wrote:
Michsi wrote:

Cost-cutting, I guess. I don't follow OP, but I know there's been a lot of hype surrounding this special and it's a shame it didn't do so well. Read somewhere that the ratings were also surprisingly low. Wonder what this could mean for the DB special.
It means toei better give us a good fight.
Horrible thought: what if those few good-looking seconds we saw in the trailer are the best the special has to offer D:

I find it hard to believe that we're getting two episodes worth of action, much less well animated action. There's going to be padding, and a lot of it. I just know it. :(
It's definitely not the case, for eg both Shida and Takahashi have confirmed to be on the special and neither's work has been shown yet so the best definitely isn't shown.

It's merely a double episode so padding will be no different to how the other ToP episodes were.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:56 am

Goku is injured all over but his body starts moving by itself. What kind of nonsense is this?

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:06 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:Goku is injured all over but his body starts moving by itself. What kind of nonsense is this?

Eh its not really nonsense in anime land, a lot of anime do this.

In Fist of the North Star, Juza, keeps fighting even after death with a final attack.

In Hunter X Hunter the same basically happens to a character named Pitou.

Considering Goku isnt dead Id say he has a leg up on other anime.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:08 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:Goku is injured all over but his body starts moving by itself. What kind of nonsense is this?
Zombies?
Zombies.
SSJZombies?
SSJZ!

It all makes sense to me.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:13 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Michsi wrote:
Totamo wrote: It means toei better give us a good fight.

It's definitely not the case, for eg both Shida and Takahashi have confirmed to be on the special and neither's work has been shown yet so the best definitely isn't shown.

It's merely a double episode so padding will be no different to how the other ToP episodes were.
Yeah, that's the thing though, Super- like all long-running shonen anime- has a lot of padding in general. But the special has been marketed as something so grand that the usual amount of padding might end up sticking out more. I mean, the flashbacks in the OP special can also count as padding, and they obviously hurt the reception.

Anyway, good to know that Goku will remain in the tournament. I wasn't against him getting knocked out if it came at the end of a fantastic battle, but at least this will put some heated debates to rest.
GodKaio-Ken wrote:

In Fist of the North Star, Juza, keeps fighting even after death with a final attack.

Naruto too, with Rock Lee standing up to fight despite being unconsciousness. To show how committed his spirit was to winning, or some poetic motive like that.

Or who knows, maybe Goku's possessed. :lol:
Last edited by Michsi on Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yedis
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yedis » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:14 am

Makes sense with the "technique of the gods is perfected" promo but did this really require a new form to demonstrate this ability?

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:18 am

TheMikado wrote:
Zombies?
Zombies.
SSJZombies?
SSJZ!

I was actually thinking the same thing. :thumbup:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:

How much longer can Goku last for though? This stuff sounds like something that would happen at the end of the tournament but we still have 31 fighters so is tbis fight going to end in a draw when it is finally finished.

Hit is probably doomed though.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:23 am

Chuquita wrote:Re: Jiren as Superman

I think it's gonna depend on Jiren's backstory. Like if it turns out his entire backstory/set of powers is a parody of Superman's. Though now I'm imagining Jiren wearing fake glasses and a suit going to work writing news articles at the Weekly Planet Daily, or Monthly Planet Jump under the pseudonym Cant Park or maybe Rent Lark.
Or he could be a villain that used to abducts people and destroy planets or he is just one strong guy that toppo just found in the street
Last edited by The gr on Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mostly active on discord.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:24 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
Zombies?
Zombies.
SSJZombies?
SSJZ!

I was actually thinking the same thing. :thumbup:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:

How much longer can Goku last for though? This stuff sounds like something that would happen at the end of the tournament but we still have 31 fighters so is tbis fight going to end in a draw when it is finally finished.

Hit is probably doomed though.
Who says it will be 31 after the special?
Kanassa wrote:

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:25 am

Ah it was so painfully obvious that it damn slipped my mind :lol: God technique that has been perfected, in DBS what was the techinque that even Beerus couldnt master... The body moving by itself... Jesus. I'm so embarrassed haha.
Anyways so far so good, at least Goku didnt get kicked out, now we await for round 2!

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:27 am

SansrivaaL wrote:Ah it was so painfully obvious that it damn slipped my mind :lol: God technique that has been perfected, in DBS what was the techinque that even Beerus couldnt master... The body moving by itself... Jesus. I'm so embarrassed haha.
Anyways so far so good, at least Goku didnt get kicked out, now we await for round 2!
But why the fuck is it giving you a new form?

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:27 am

SansrivaaL wrote:Ah it was so painfully obvious that it damn slipped my mind :lol: God technique that has been perfected, in DBS what was the techinque that even Beerus couldnt master... The body moving by itself... Jesus. I'm so embarrassed haha.
Most people forget that part of the promo since they hung on on the 'something terrible will happened'.
Kishido wrote:
It was never said that technique was the form or even related to it.
Kanassa wrote:

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:34 am

HeroR wrote:
Most people forget that part of the promo since they hung on on the 'something terrible will happened'.
Kishido wrote:
Of course it won’t be related to each other :roll:

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:35 am

Kishido wrote:
Not really adding to conversation here. Was the snark really needed?
Kanassa wrote:

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:35 am

HeroR wrote:
Kishido wrote:
Idk, if it's not we're getting a heck of a lot in the span of two episode. I agree about the form, but it sounds like it may be a "false" form. Especially because the new episode isn't really playing it up and almost seems to have forgotten about it. It's kinda weird that it makes no mention of it even though we know its going to happen for months now. But yes we have no idea if its related.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:35 am

Inb4 the new form gets called "Super Saiyan Movement" 8) kidding aside am I the only one that feels the ending of the special is Goku awakening to the new form in what we saw on the prev, we wont actually get to see him fight in the form yet.

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:35 am

HeroR wrote:
Kishido wrote:
Not really adding to conversation here. Was the snark really needed?
Yes