"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by sangofe » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:21 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:13 am
sangofe wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:10 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:51 am

When they bring the anime back and make like 20 filler episodes before delving into the Moro arc, you'll be complaining all the same.

At least I'm assuming you're being serious right now.
Who's complaining and will be? I enjoyed the filler arc and filler episodes in Super.
Did you, or did you not just complain that Toei are milking the franchise?
I didn't.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:24 pm

sangofe wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:37 am
Jiren The Alpha wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:47 am Remember when people said that "they are milking Dragon Ball".....i wish.
But they are! They're milking its popularity by not producing anything else than Heroes!

Because they don't need it for the moment.
The first anime run of Super only served the purpose of reviving the franchise.
And it managed to do that job brilliantly.
The franchise could very well be revived for more than a decade now, without actually needing the severe investment for a new anime.
DB-related products don't need stories to keep people invested, they simply sell themselves now.

2-3 years are not going to make a huge difference. Within 2- 3 years it will still sell as hot cakes, without having to invest in a new anime.

The hardcore fandom may want new quality stories that are animated, but a lot of people (random popculture fans) just buy what's available (and that's an awful lot) without thinking about what's coming next. Those guys keep sales up and they keep the franchise alive, not us at Kanzenshuu. We sometimes tend to analyze things from our perspective, as we think new quality content is the most important thing on earth.
But that's not how it really works with a worldwide multi-million franchise like that.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:31 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:17 pm https://twitter.com/DB_super2015/status ... 1991472128

Dragon Ball Super will have a rebroadcast starting on February 14th on BS Fuji every sunday at 10:00 AM (JST).
If the anime returns after these reruns then that would be in fall of 2023. It's possible they're waiting for the manga to end since Toriyama is writing this arc. Toei could focus on their other anime and that would give it enough time to complete the Granolah arc then transition to EoZ.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:32 pm

Skar wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:31 pm
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:17 pm https://twitter.com/DB_super2015/status ... 1991472128

Dragon Ball Super will have a rebroadcast starting on February 14th on BS Fuji every sunday at 10:00 AM (JST).
If the anime returns after these reruns then that would be in fall of 2023. It's possible they're waiting for the manga to end since Toriyama is writing this arc. Toei could focus on their other anime and that would give it enough time to complete the Granolah arc then transition to EoZ.
I hate to be that guy, but all of these seiyuu are really getting up there in age. Masako Nozawa is 84. If they’re serious about continuing Super to a proper conclusion, I hope they are able to button up as much as possible well in advance of Fall 2023 so it can just be ready to air when the time comes to keep going.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:57 am

Char Aznable wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:32 pmI hate to be that guy, but all of these seiyuu are really getting up there in age. Masako Nozawa is 84. If they’re serious about continuing Super to a proper conclusion, I hope they are able to button up as much as possible well in advance of Fall 2023 so it can just be ready to air when the time comes to keep going.
I'm sure some could get replaced but it would be nice if modern DB could conclude with the most of the same cast.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:24 am

Skar wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:57 am
Char Aznable wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:32 pmI hate to be that guy, but all of these seiyuu are really getting up there in age. Masako Nozawa is 84. If they’re serious about continuing Super to a proper conclusion, I hope they are able to button up as much as possible well in advance of Fall 2023 so it can just be ready to air when the time comes to keep going.
I'm sure some could get replaced but it would be nice if modern DB could conclude with the most of the same cast.

I wouldn't mind waiting for another sequel for another five to ten years.
I mean, an animated sequel is always possible.
It's a shame though Nozawas last good years (taking in account it's already a miracele she is still that good at her age) are kinda being wasted.
This really could be a matter of 5 years untill she no longer is able to play the role.
Other castmembers (Vegeta, Piccolo ...) aren't getting any younger either, nor Toriyama.

I would be nice to finish with the old crew, but that's going to become increasingly difficult as years go by.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:11 am

It'll be pretty difficult to replace Nozawa, I mean I know they'll eventually have to some day - hopefully years from now - but I agree, they should get moving and at least finish this up with our classic cast while most of them are still here and able to play the roles.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:16 am

Dragon Ball should come back as a 26 episode seasonal show. The whole Moro arc can be done in 26 episodes easily.

The problem with Super is they wrote it like they did with the original run of DBZ where it felt like they were stalling for the manga when it didn't even exist anymore. There is no reason Super had to be 131 episodes, and air every single week without any breaks. It's absurd to see it written like that in the modern year.

All the stories in Super could have been told in less than 100 episodes easily, even more if you cut out the movie adaptions which wasted 20 episodes right there on stuff we saw before.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:34 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:11 am
It'll be pretty difficult to replace Nozawa, I mean I know they'll eventually have to some day - hopefully years from now - but I agree, they should get moving and at least finish this up with our classic cast while most of them are still here and able to play the roles.
I agree, it would be nice to have new episodes of Super airing now, even just for more material the Japanese cast can work on.

A seasonal anime would be great, as the animation, writing, scoring, and overall direction would likely be vastly superior, and it would mean more people could stay invested in the anime without getting burnout.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:20 pm

precita wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:16 am Dragon Ball should come back as a 26 episode seasonal show. The whole Moro arc can be done in 26 episodes easily.

The problem with Super is they wrote it like they did with the original run of DBZ where it felt like they were stalling for the manga when it didn't even exist anymore. There is no reason Super had to be 131 episodes, and air every single week without any breaks. It's absurd to see it written like that in the modern year.

All the stories in Super could have been told in less than 100 episodes easily, even more if you cut out the movie adaptions which wasted 20 episodes right there on stuff we saw before.
Eh, Moro arc has about 24-ish chapters. If it were to be adapted, i'm pretty sure some episodes would adapt a chapter and a half, or even two chapters depending on the contents. Something like a 16 episode seasonal run would fair much better, unless if they want to add some filler.

Harping off that, I agree that whenever Super returns, it should continue as a seasonal anime (if that would be even possible given its usual network, timeslot, and scheduling requirements). I'd rather Toei adapt the manga than go off their own script based on the arc outlines. I feel like Super definitely would've benefited if Champa, Zamasu, and ToP arcs were seasonal as well. Definitely a lot less padding and time wasted in episodes if that were the case.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:53 am

precita wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:16 amAll the stories in Super could have been told in less than 100 episodes easily, even more if you cut out the movie adaptions which wasted 20 episodes right there on stuff we saw before.
If you cut out the movie arcs and filler episodes, you end up with 90 episodes spread across the 2 tournament arcs and the Black arc. Each arc can be cut down further without losing any important details, resulting in a show that could've easily been in the 70s episode count.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:17 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:53 am
precita wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:16 amAll the stories in Super could have been told in less than 100 episodes easily, even more if you cut out the movie adaptions which wasted 20 episodes right there on stuff we saw before.
If you cut out the movie arcs and filler episodes, you end up with 90 episodes spread across the 2 tournament arcs and the Black arc. Each arc can be cut down further without losing any important details, resulting in a show that could've easily been in the 70s episode count.

The filler episodes in super are really good, though, so I wouldn't have wanted them cut.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:56 am

sangofe wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:17 am The filler episodes in super are really good, though, so I wouldn't have wanted them cut.
I share this opinion but in regards to the one-off filler episodes rather than the arcs like Copy Vegeta (Ugly and unnecessary Gotenks de-hype) or Barry Kahn (that was so forced and dumb)

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:47 am

Xeogran wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:56 am
sangofe wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:17 am The filler episodes in super are really good, though, so I wouldn't have wanted them cut.
I share this opinion but in regards to the one-off filler episodes rather than the arcs like Copy Vegeta (Ugly and unnecessary Gotenks de-hype) or Barry Kahn (that was so forced and dumb)

Copy Vegeta was only OK. But the others were really good!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:23 pm

What I miss is making animated gifs with parts of new episodes. You can't really do that with the manga--not in the same way.

Super's filler was a mixed bag imo. Some I liked, some I didn't. I feel like it's what's missing from the manga though, which feels to me too straightforward and sterile. Like we're hitting all the plot beats, but it's business-only, not fun.

It's been frustrating me for a while now as to why I'm not having as much an enjoyable experience with the manga and while I think there are multiple reasons, the biggest one is despite having 45 pages to play with it doesn't really ever take much of a break to have fun and when it does the sense of humor isn't quite the same. I feel the manga cares more about analytics.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:12 pm

Chuquita wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:23 pm What I miss is making animated gifs with parts of new episodes. You can't really do that with the manga--not in the same way.

Super's filler was a mixed bag imo. Some I liked, some I didn't. I feel like it's what's missing from the manga though, which feels to me too straightforward and sterile. Like we're hitting all the plot beats, but it's business-only, not fun.

It's been frustrating me for a while now as to why I'm not having as much an enjoyable experience with the manga and while I think there are multiple reasons, the biggest one is despite having 45 pages to play with it doesn't really ever take much of a break to have fun and when it does the sense of humor isn't quite the same. I feel the manga cares more about analytics.
I feel the same way.

The voice-acting and general liveliness of the DBS anime just can't be beat for me. It's probably mostly due to growing up with animated and voiced mediums being the most impactful on me, but I can't deny that the heart and charm of the anime makes me averse to the manga, which, while serviceable, doesn't feel quite right.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:27 pm

Chuquita wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:23 pm What I miss is making animated gifs with parts of new episodes. You can't really do that with the manga--not in the same way.

I enjoy the manga about as much as I did the anime. There is stuff I like and dislike about both

But fandom wise the anime was more fun. Plus there was better and more new merchandise with the anime.

There is less fighting, negativity and character bashing now though.

But bottom line anime is weekly, manga is monthly. There is more to look forward to with the anime.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:23 pm

It's obvious animation, music and voice acting can elevate an anime over a manga. In manga you just get still images and it moves from scene to scene without much build up.

Anime has the benefit of showing the animation in attacks/fights, music which usually elevates a scene that needs to be made more exciting or filled with drama, and of course the voice acting of all the cast in the anime is usually fantastic. It's easy to see why people barely acknowledge the Super manga and really want the anime to come back.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:09 pm

Something tells me, if it eventually would return, it will be full time for (many) sequential years. DBS just feels a couple of measures too big in Japan and the rest of the world for a seasonal approach. This however may take a while for the opportunity to happen.

One Pieces creator Oda has hinted the manga will end somewhere during 2024-2025.
The anime is 1 year behind, so that would mean that around 2025 a lot of important staff will get available.
This contains Nagamine as a potential series director, but also a lot of good animators.
It might be possible TOEI waits untill one Piece has finally ended to have hands off for a high quality full time DBS sequel.
2023, after the rerun and when DQ has finished, may open doors for a sequel as well but could be just a little too early, if they want to give a potential long term DBS-project the highest possible quality with the best possible people on board.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:13 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:09 pm Something says me, if it eventually would return, it will be full time for a number sequential years. DBS just feels a couple of measures too big in Japan and the rest of the world for a seasonal approach. This however may take a while for the opportunity to happen.

One Pieces creator Oda has hinted the manga will end somewhere during 2024-2025.
The anime is 1 year behind, so that would mean that around 2025 a lot of important staff will get available.
This contains Nagamine as a potential series director, but also a lot of good animators.
It might be possible TOEI waits untill one Piece has finally ended to have hands off for a high quality full time DBS sequel.
2023, after the rerun and when DQ has finished, may open doors for a sequel as well but could be just a little too early, if they want to give a potential DBS-project the highest possible quality with the best possible people on board.
I hope not. I long for new db anime! In 4 years I'll be 42 and my daughter 11... And Nozowa would probably be too old to voice act.