"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by JewyB » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:48 pm

I always find it weird that the last two arcs keep getting called "Toyotaro only" and argued that's why they wont be animated.

I mean, firstly, do Shueisha pay Toriyama a salary to turn up one day a month to redraw a couple of Goku's then leave? As far as i'm aware his only job is to lead the direction of the story to fit into his world until he feels Toyo is ready to take over fully. If he's still working there, and his one job is to guide the story, how is it Toyo only? Not to mention several interviews talk about Toriyamas involvement, and people still insist he does nothing.

After that i wonder how it would even affect their decision to animate it. Japan has a very respectful culture, and with Toriyama choosing Toyo to be his replacement, i'd imagine that Toei would respect that. If they had any other plans why would they even let him take Toyo under his wing in the first place? So they can throw him away the second Toriyama quits and hope he doesnt notice?

Also i just dont see why they would feel the need to write and entirely new plot when they have one right there for the taking, just because its not perfect. Its not like Toei are known for their quality>quantity approach.

Them not adapting the Moro and Granolah arc would be the unexpected approach, not the other way around, in my opinion.

FlpShimizu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FlpShimizu » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:29 pm

It's just some sour people who can't accept things different from their fantasies. They think the manga is bad so nothing related to it should exist and no one should be able to like it. How dare you use logic with something I don't like? *proceeds to continue ignoring a therapist*
"I'm never fighting a gag manga character again!"

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:49 pm

JewyB wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:48 pm I always find it weird that the last two arcs keep getting called "Toyotaro only" and argued that's why they wont be animated.

I mean, firstly, do Shueisha pay Toriyama a salary to turn up one day a month to redraw a couple of Goku's then leave? As far as i'm aware his only job is to lead the direction of the story to fit into his world until he feels Toyo is ready to take over fully. If he's still working there, and his one job is to guide the story, how is it Toyo only? Not to mention several interviews talk about Toriyamas involvement, and people still insist he does nothing.

After that i wonder how it would even affect their decision to animate it. Japan has a very respectful culture, and with Toriyama choosing Toyo to be his replacement, i'd imagine that Toei would respect that. If they had any other plans why would they even let him take Toyo under his wing in the first place? So they can throw him away the second Toriyama quits and hope he doesnt notice?

Also i just dont see why they would feel the need to write and entirely new plot when they have one right there for the taking, just because its not perfect. Its not like Toei are known for their quality>quantity approach.

Them not adapting the Moro and Granolah arc would be the unexpected approach, not the other way around, in my opinion.
Moro was written by Toyo so that's up the air if it gets animated or not.

Granolah was indeed written by Toriyama so there's no doubt that's getting animated at some point.

I do believe both are getting animated and I hope Toei fixes a lot of stuff from the Moro arc. A small arc for Broly would also be nice.

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:55 pm

End of Moro leads right into Granolah arc. It also has Goku being able to access UI at will, albeit through transforming.

Moro has been the longest arc of super. 25 chapters. Is there seriously any reason to think it wouldn’t be adapted? Think the only thing to worry about is the pacing of it in the anime, as we know some moments dragged.

But there’s potential to do more with it - more time spent with galactic patrol before Moro rears his head - akin to the space heist at the start.

More time with Merus to make us really feel for him

Seeing Buu in action animated again - everyone loved his brief spotlight in the Zeno exhibition.

Extending earthling fights/giving them cool moments (we know how much toei love Yamcha filler).

If Toei were wise they could show Heeters in the background watching the chaos - to lead into them wanting OG-73

Animated Moro arc if done well could be amazing.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:38 pm

Honestly, I'd love if an animated adaptation of the Moro Arc actually expanded on his potential as a magic-using sorcerer, and not just the boring "drain energy and absorb others to get stronger" shenanigans.

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Thu May 06, 2021 5:33 am

ZombieVito wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:49 pm Moro was written by Toyo so that's up the air if it gets animated or not.
I'm gonna need a source that Moro was a Toyo arc, as i have never seen one. People love to claim it but as far as i'm aware it's a rumour with no basis, and most evidence and logical thought points against it.

I have never once seen it confirmed and i dont see why Toriyama would take backseat to the first arc, and then be heavily involved in the second, especially when the one arc sets up the other.

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Thu May 06, 2021 9:23 pm

The new Website for Dragon ball is opening on Goku day, maybe we'll get a surprise?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2Bi8_PaRFo

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu May 06, 2021 10:13 pm

ChibiGoku and I were talking about this last night and we are wondering if they'll announce a new series here. I cannot recall Shintani doing anything since working on Dai #1 so it makes me wonder if we might get a new Dragon Ball series sometime in October to replace Digimon. Not really holding out hope either way since I'd prefer to have confirmation of a healthy schedule instead.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri May 07, 2021 12:07 am

JulieYBM wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:13 pm ChibiGoku and I were talking about this last night and we are wondering if they'll announce a new series here. I cannot recall Shintani doing anything since working on Dai #1 so it makes me wonder if we might get a new Dragon Ball series sometime in October to replace Digimon. Not really holding out hope either way since I'd prefer to have confirmation of a healthy schedule instead.
Would make sense since they're putting emphasis on that it's an international, global brand now.

FlpShimizu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FlpShimizu » Fri May 07, 2021 8:18 am

Not getting my hopes up.
"I'm never fighting a gag manga character again!"

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Fri May 07, 2021 10:51 am

I hope this new official website will become an official Strength Checker. But I’m not getting my hopes up😂🤣😅😆

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri May 07, 2021 11:47 am

JulieYBM wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:13 pm Not really holding out hope either way since I'd prefer to have confirmation of a healthy schedule instead.

No worries, it has the most extended, healthy schedule imaginable thesedays. :mrgreen:

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri May 07, 2021 12:50 pm

When Super comes back I don't want to hear any mention of the word "schedule", because these people had 3+ years of planning.

Dthomas14

Post by Dthomas14 » Fri May 07, 2021 1:03 pm

A Movie will be announced on Sunday for a 2022 release

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri May 07, 2021 1:35 pm

I'll be laughing my ass off if that movie is about the Moro arc. I've been saying since the beginning that Moro is as interesting as an old Z movie villain, so it'd be fitting to have him as a movie villain :lol: :lol: :lol:

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri May 07, 2021 1:37 pm

This might be interesting

Last edited by Noah on Fri May 07, 2021 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri May 07, 2021 1:39 pm

New movie, eh? Oh well... Let's see what more they have to shove it down our throats.

More movie villains unnecessarily getting counterparts (other than Janemba)? More retellings? Adaptation of one of the manga sagas? Or a totally new thing, exploring and delving into some great lore/concept with new and interesting characters!? Only time will tell, for now let's wait to see what the future holds and that Dende help us all.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri May 07, 2021 1:42 pm

Can't believe we may finally have something major happen on Goku Day. :lol:
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Fri May 07, 2021 1:43 pm

An unceremonious accidental leak from Toei announcing a new film after years of radio silence is the most Toei thing of all time.

Anyways, cool I guess. Hopefully we have the same quick turnaround that Broly did as far as a US release.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Fri May 07, 2021 1:50 pm

Is this because of the Kimetsu movie?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time